Re: NVDA may Crash with inactivity on older Windows 10 computer

Gene

I see no meaningful benefit to doing any of that.  If the computer still works well as it is, you might get more life from it by replacing the hard drive but then again, the hard drive might last for years longer.

Gene

On 6/7/2022 8:59 AM, Chris Smart wrote:

That is pretty old.

I wonder if it would benefit from a completely clean install of windows and your other applications?
That, and replacing the spinning drive with a solid state one if it still has a conventional hard drive might get a couple more years out of it.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ron Canazzi
Sent: June 7, 2022 9:46 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA may Crash with inactivity on older Windows 10 computer

Hi Group,

OK, I should have mentioned this in my original post. The computer is an
8 year old AMD clone with 16 GB RAM and a 6 core processor.

On 6/7/2022 2:59 AM, Luke Davis wrote:
Ron Canazzi wrote:

I use an older Windows 10 computer for storage and back up.
What's older?  What does winver say when you run it?

What kind of sound device?
What version of NVDA?
What add-ons are you running?

After not touching it for several hours, NVDA does not work.
Does the same happen with Narrator, if you leave that running for
several hours instead?

I know the main sound card through which NVDA voices is working
because other sounds I can play with hotkeys do indeed work.
Can you give an example of that?

if I press the hotkey used to launch it, it seems to reload as if it
had crashed and needed to be restarted.
Please explain that.
NVDA will always restart when you press its shortcut key, regardless
of whether it had been running, crashed, or stopped before.
What, in the way it acts when you press the shortcut key, makes you
think it is recovering from a crash? How is it different than pressing
the shortcut key while NVDA is working normally?

Luke