Re: Does NVDA have this feature that Window-eyes has?

Ron Canazzi

Hi Gene,

It does have it for single character strings. I believe what they are asking is if there are multiple character repetitions whether that feature is active.

Here's an example of what I mean.

9=9=9=9=9=9=9=9=9=

NVDA doesn't have a setting for such strings as does JAWS sand Window-Eyes.

On 6/16/2022 11:31 AM, Gene wrote:
It does have it.  If it didn't, you would hear something like equal repeated as many times as it appears on a line.  Instead you hear twenty equals, if there are twenty equals uninterrupted on a line.

If your punctuation isn't set at a level where the sign is spoken, you will hear nothing.  So with equal, if punctuation is set to none, you won't hear anything.  With punctuation set to some or higher, you will hear the announcement.  However, I know of no way to turn the feature  off or on and I don't know if that matters.

Gene
On 6/16/2022 10:25 AM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
You might want to maybe put that issue in as a github issue, or if you can code, make an add on if one does not exist. 

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steve Nutt
Sent: Thursday, June 16, 2022 4:49 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Does NVDA have this feature that Window-eyes has?

Hi,

JAWS has it, it's called Filter Repeated Characters, and is under Text Processing.

As far as I can see, NVDA doesn't have it.

All the best

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sim Kah Yong
Sent: 22 May 2022 08:31
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Does NVDA have this feature that Window-eyes has?

Hi all, I just received an email from Amazon and it contains a string of "equal sign" (about 22) in part of the email. Window-eyes will read "equal, equal,  repeated 22 times".

NVDA and JAWS will read 22 times of the "equal sign". Obviously, Window-eyes is is the better option here. Does anyone know if NVDA or JAWS has such feature? Thank you.

-- 
Signature:
For a nation to admit it has done grievous wrongs and will strive to correct them for the betterment of all is no vice;
For a nation to claim it has always been great, needs no improvement  and to cling to its past achievements is no virtue!

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.