Re: holding off on 2022.1 due to Code Factory dragging their feet


Steve Nutt
 

No, you’re not alone. It makes work also for the average user, who gets their NVDA just right with add-ons, only to find them broken in the next version.

 

My own view is that these add-ons should be updated in the Alpha or Beta stages, not after release. Either that, or NVDA should not keep breaking compatibility with them.

 

All the best


Steve

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tyler Wood
Sent: 23 May 2022 20:16
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] holding off on 2022.1 due to Code Factory dragging their feet

 

As a random interjection I find it quite disturbing how easily add ons are losing compatibility from one minor version to the next. This is a trend I as a user am not a fan of. It means more work for developers, more issues by the end user if add ons become unsupported, or at least, unsupported according to NVDA itself, and less time to actually make improvements for the developers who are already placing their doubtlessly limited and free time into this wonderful hobby of creating resources for NVDA to take advantage of.

I am truly curious to know what I, as a user, am benefiting from with this so called fragmentation. Previously add ons would work without issue, now it’s a guessing game as to which add ons will be disabled and stop working when I’d like to update NVDA from, again, one minor version to the next.

 

As it stands right now, I’m running a portable version of the latest NVDA due to the above, with my main install remaining an older version. Am I alone in viewing this slightly worrying trend?

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of mattias
Sent: Monday, May 23, 2022 10:38 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] holding off on 2022.1 due to Code Factory dragging their feet

 

Lol we got the same answer..

 

Skickades från E-post för Windows

 

Från: Supanut Leepaisomboon
Skickat: den 23 maj 2022 12:18
Till: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Ämne: Re: [nvda] holding off on 2022.1 due to Code Factory dragging their feet

 

So I just got a reply from Codefactory, to a ticket regarding compatibility with NVDA 2022.1 that I submitted way back in April. Below is their response:
Good morning,
We are aware that a breaking NVDA update was released today.
We've been working on the addon, but unfortunately our update will take a few more days to complete.
Thank you for your patience.
The Code Factory technical team.

 

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.