Re: holding off on 2022.1 due to Code Factory dragging their feet

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

I hope NVDA never goes commercial.  In the US now-of-days, there is a persistent and radical libertarian philosophy that has taken hold of a large minority of the people saying in essence: 'If you don't pay, you don't play.'  Without getting into a political discussion on this issue, people who advocate this don't realize just what profound changes would result if this philosophy (as it appears likely) takes over the body politic entirely.  Just think of Europe from the middle ages to the nineteenth century.

Having said that, people should be appreciative of the great work done by the creators of NVDA and should be grateful and not complain so much.  A small donation--even from unemployed blind people to NVDA would be in order.  Since it is well known that millions (I believe over 70 million at last report) of people in the world use NVDA, just imagine if everyone gave the equivalence of five dollars US a year.  That would be 350 million dollars US yearly.

As far s as code factory Eloquence, I am having no problem with the SAPI 5 version of the product.  What issues are there with this product?

On 6/16/2022 11:31 PM, Ravindran V.S. wrote:

Dear Mike,

If my understanding is correct of your message,

Please note, ever since NVDA released as a free screen reader millions of Blind users have got into some kind of technical or computer literacy and use of technology.

If not still a vast majority would not be able to access computers due to the high cost of the commercial products.

Also, NVDA has created many job opportunities to many Visually Impaired Persons in several countries.

So, I urge that this should continue as the current way it is as an open source product and accessible to all Blind people.

People in the poor countries, and the developing countries are mainly depending on this screen reader. Who may be heavily using the product, but may not be in a position or afford to donate towards this cause.

Therefore, I kindly request to all the developers and contributors to keep  and continue this as an open source and free product, or at least to the people in the poor countries.

We even get the computers through donations, under this circumstances how could we spend hundreds or thousands of Dollars to the commercial Screen Readers?

I live in Sri Lanka, and now even we almost starving , under this situation cannot think of purchasing any screen reader or anything other than considered to be essential items.

Which some time may cost the job of the Blind people as well, who are depending on NVDA for their work .

So, for delay of any Add-Ons should not deny access of a screen reader for many Blind people.

Thank you in advance for understanding. NVDA is a blessing to many Blind.

Ravi.