You may do things in ways that computer users generally don't do things.  That doesn't mean that the general user should do things in a different way.  Chrome-based browsers update in the background.  and on what do you base your distrust of about dialogs?  I haven't seen one computer advisor nor anyone else say they are unreliable.

I have no objection to you doing things as you wish but you are making statements and implications that updating Chrome-based browsers as most computer users do is unreliable or in some way a disadvantage to what you do, with which I most emphatically disagree.

Gene

On 6/18/2022 12:04 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

I’d rather update through chocolety, as it  updates in the background, and I have about 30 other windows apps I update in this way, all at once. I don’t trust the about dialogue, ever, not in chrome anyway.  Give me a package manager any day, or give me the installer so I can just update by hand and keep the follinstaller around in case I have to reinstall from scratch.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Saturday, June 18, 2022 8:32 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA is not reading out buttons in Chrome browser

You don't need to update in that way.  Chrome-based browsers are supposed to automatically update.  But instead of installing the program to update it, if it isn't automatically updating, use the about dialog.  That dialog tells you if an update is available and there is an update button.  Once you open the about dialog, it may be in slightly different places depending on the Chrome-based browser you are using, have browse mode on.  If you can't move through the interface with the arrow keys, manually turn on Browse mode and it will be accessible and similar to a web page.  There is information at or near the top of the page about updating and whether you are up to date.

In Chrome, about is in the help submenu.

Gene

On 6/18/2022 10:24 AM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

I believe the 64 bit version can also be found on chocolety as that’s how I update, every few weeks. Much easier for those who love package managers as I do.