I agree that you should check the about dialog about once a month to be sure the program is current.  But I disagree that the about dialog doesn't do what it should reliably in Chrome browsers, that is, check for updates when you open the dialog and present accurate information.

You took one instance where the dialog may not have worked properly and turned it into a generalization.  One instance is not a [proper basis from which to generalize.

Gene

On 6/18/2022 5:07 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

I’ve had that update fail. I know it updates by itself , or should, but the normal user is not going to go to chrome://about to find out they are out of date.  Only the advanced user will think of doing this. The last time chrome updated to 100x it took about 2 or so week before I got the update for what ever reason and I use chrome daily as my default. I checked with chocolety and chrome 100x  was there, and updated without needing to launch chrome.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Saturday, June 18, 2022 10:43 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA is not reading out buttons in Chrome browser

You may do things in ways that computer users generally don't do things.  That doesn't mean that the general user should do things in a different way.  Chrome-based browsers update in the background.  and on what do you base your distrust of about dialogs?  I haven't seen one computer advisor nor anyone else say they are unreliable.

I have no objection to you doing things as you wish but you are making statements and implications that updating Chrome-based browsers as most computer users do is unreliable or in some way a disadvantage to what you do, with which I most emphatically disagree.

Gene

On 6/18/2022 12:04 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

I’d rather update through chocolety, as it  updates in the background, and I have about 30 other windows apps I update in this way, all at once. I don’t trust the about dialogue, ever, not in chrome anyway.  Give me a package manager any day, or give me the installer so I can just update by hand and keep the follinstaller around in case I have to reinstall from scratch.