Re: Focus issues with Google's Enhanced protection browsing mode

Gene

I just checked.  It appears enhanced protection is on by default.  It is on my browser and I don't recall changing it.  But I don't have the problem you are having.  What screen-reader are you using?

Gene

On 6/21/2022 1:13 PM, Aine Kelly Costello wrote:
Hi all,

I recently turned on Enhanced Protection for browsing which can be found under chrome's settings in the Privacy and Security tab.

Unfortunately for screen reader users, this mode doesn't only tell you about safety breaches, but also about all the safe URLs. I haven't experimented with it that much yet, but on a google search results page, if you arrow down from a given search result heading, after you get to "About this result", the notification about the URLs safe status steels focus and puts the cursor at the top of the page.

This obviously is a nuisance, and I'm not quite sure what the best solution is for now which is why I'm writing here. In an ideal world, it would be possible to set Chrome to only tell you about safety issues and leave you alone as long as all is well but still have enhanced protection turned on. Short of that, it's not super obvious what to do as presumably if you remove focus from the safe website announcements, you're also going to miss problem alerts. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Áine