Re: Add-on Updater notice: introducing Project Meteor to refactor add-on download and installation steps

Hi all,

I'm delighted to announce the last try build in Project Meteor series: https://github.com/josephsl/addonUpdater/releases/download/22.07/addonUpdater-tryProjectMeteor20220714.nvda-addon

This build includes mostly bug fixes. Please review the changelog and notes before installing this try build.

Changelog:

  • Updated translations for some languages.
  • Internal code tweaks.
  • NVDA will no longer present add-on update toast messages if no updates are available (traced to a logic error).
  • Refinements to restart NVDA dialog.
  • On Windows Server 2008 R2/2012/2012 R2/2016/2019/2022 systems, NVDA will no longer enable automatic add-on update checks; you must now check for add-on updates manually on server systems. Consequently, automatic add-on update check checkbox is removed from Add-on Updater settings panel if running on Windows Server.
  • The ability to configure add-on update notification (dialog or toast) and background updates is now restricted to Windows 10 and later provided that NVDA is actually installed (not a portable copy) due to technical limitations. This also fixes an issue where if using portable copy of NVDA, you may find that NVDA tools menu will say "review add-on updates" without explanation.
  • You can now enable update checks for Add-on Updater. Note that until the next stable version of Add-on Updater is released, no updates will be shown.

Additional notes:

  • Although this is a try build, do try using it on production environments and provide feedback so I can refine the add-on.
  • Regarding disabling automatic add-on update checks, this change applies to Windows Server systems for now. This change will apply to Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 in January 2023. Manual update checks will remain as part of "nightlight mode" I mentioned in June; there is a second part of nightlight mode which will require some work to implement: disabling updating to development releases on older Windows releases altogether. I plan to not restrict users of older Windows releases from seeking updates from different sources. As I mentioned last month, I advise folks to upgrade to supported Windows releases now (ideal), as soon as possible (strongly recommended), or before January 2023 (last resort). I will talk more about nightlight mode in an upcoming post.

Cheers,

Joseph