Re: Article on Screen Reader History (including NVDA)

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

Dave is correct. I would have mentioned this myself but for the life of me i can't think of the name IBM used for this software. I know if I heard it, I would remember.

On 7/18/2022 11:30 AM, Dave Grossoehme wrote:

Making a search on startpage.com I found out that IBM had a screen reader for Dos.  This was written by a fellow at Harver university by the name of Jim Thatcher as the first Screen Reader.  I wouldn't be surprised by that, when IBM was the first company to have anything that was accessible for the old Main Frame computer.

Dave

On 7/15/2022 11:23 AM, Gene wrote:
This article from AFB says that the first  Windows screen-reader was Window Bridge.
https://www.afb.org/aw/1/4/16165
The first screen reader for a Windows operating system was not released until 1992 when Syntha-Voice Computers released SlimWare Window Bridge for Windows 3.1.

Signature:
For a nation to admit it has done grievous wrongs and will strive to correct them for the betterment of all is no vice;