Add-on Updater and Windows Ap Essentials 22.08 #addonrelease

Hello NVDA community,

After weeks of hard work, I’m delighted to announce the immediate release of Add-on Updater and Windows App Essentials 22.08. Add-on Updater 22.08 is a major update, while Windows App Essentials 22.08 is a minor release filled with bug fixes. For now you must download these releases manually (I have queued these add-ons for distribution on community add-ons website):

Key highlights:

• Add-on Updater: this add-on has gone through a significant rewrite. In particular, the assumptions from the past four years have been revised, reimagined, and refined. Three changes are notable: first, you can now ask NVDA to check for, download, and update add-ons in the background provided that: you are using Windows 10 or later, NVDA is actually installed, and update notification is set to toast (default). This will be a welcome change for people working on tasks and do not wish to be interrupted with a dialog telling you that NVDA add-ons are available – you will see toasts instead. In relation to this, the menu item you will see after checking for updates is now called “review add-on updates”, and as a bonus, NVDA will tell you exactly how many add-on updates are available. Second, if you have one or more add-ons disabled, Add-on Updater will no longer update them automatically, or if add-on updates list is showing, disabled add-ons will not be checked by default. This is because in recent NVDA releases, updating disabled add-ons will actually enable them after NVDA restarts. Third, you can now check for add-on updates from multiple sources (internally called “protocols”). This is perhaps the most significant change to Add-on Updater in years – previously Add-on Updater checked for updates for add-ons registered on community add-ons website (addons.nvda-project.org). Starting from version 22.08, you can ask Add-on Updater to check for add-ons registered on Spanish NVDA community website in addition to the international add-ons website, and you can choose which sources to obtain updates from. As always, the default source is the international website, but for folks using add-ons from other sources, this will be a welcome change (a special thank you to members of the Spanish NVDA community for keeping their add-ons website up to date and for giving me guidance on implementing this change; this change does not replace Tienda add-on). There are other changes under the hood, including removing what I hope to be the last remnants of Python 2 from 2018.
  • Windows App Essentials: version 22.08 is filled with refinements and bug fixes. Notably, changes were made to support more Windows 11 Version 22H2 (preview) features and changes. For Solitaire Collection fans, version 4.13 of this game improves accessibility, notably card suits and ranks are announced thanks to information coming from the game itself. As a result, future versions of Windows app Essentials will remove workarounds for Solitaire Collection (later this year).

IMPORTANT NOTES:

• These will be the last add-on releases (from me) to support NVDA 2021.3. From September 2022 releases, Add-on Updater and Windows App Essentials will require newer NVDA releases (Add-on Updater = 2022.2, Windows App Essentials = 2022.1). In late August, Add-on Updater will not offer updates for folks running 2021.3, so I advise updating to newer NVDA releases as soon as possible (ideally yes if add-ons are compatible).
  • Add-on Updater: version 22.08 does not replace Tienda from Spanish community. Also, if you do switch add-on update sources, you will be asked to confirm if you wish to do so.
  • Windows App Essentials: version 22.08 will be the last version to support Windows 10 Version 21H1 (May 2021 Update/build 19043). Starting from September, Windows 21H2 releases will be required (Windows 10/build 19044/November 2021 Update, Windows Server 2022/build 20348, Windows 11/original release/build 22000). If you are indeed running Windows 10 May 2021 Update, PLEASE UPGRADE ASAP to the latest Windows 10 or 11 release as Microsoft will end support for May 2021 Update this December.

Enjoy the new add-on releases.

Cheers,

Joseph

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.