Re: Reading Japanese with NVDA 2022.2

Shawn

I've done a bit of Googling about this, and it seems that it's actually whoever created the ESpeak voice's fault. As best as I can figure, they left out loads of kanji and made a real mess of it, so you're out of luck unless someone gets around to fixing it. A lot of ESpeak voices are broken in some way.

This guy outlines a lot of them from a linguist's point of view here.

https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/topic/83236633?p=,,,20,0,0,0::recentpostdate/sticky,0,,20,0,540,83236633

Shawn Klein

On 7/24/2022 4:10 PM, Sharni-Lee Ward wrote:
Since Eloquence is paid and I don't like it anyways, that's not an option for me. I dunno how, if at all, those packs would help, and I don't want to change synths. Anything without inflection settings (including most paid synths) sounds woeful to my discerning ears.

On 25/07/2022 6:30 am, Shawn via groups.io wrote:
The question is did you switch ESpeak's language to Japanese. With some synths, they just won't work with Japanese or some other foreign alphabets at all unless you add language packs in Windows. I just opened a Japanese Wikipedia page with the following results. Japanese Eloquence read it in Japanese. ESpeak Japanese read Japanese letter this, Chinese letter that. You may want to check out this page about installing language packs in Windows, or find a synth that will work without them.

https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fsupport.microsoft.com%2Fen-us%2Fwindows%2Flanguage-packs-for-windows-a5094319-a92d-18de-5b53-1cfc697cfca8&;data=05%7C01%7C%7Ca7bb77b5ae214a5c60df08da6db3539e%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637942914239707766%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=8LExDKrMOyFnZ6j5bx0i0zGGWO3dkvo48rzzfzWFD%2BA%3D&reserved=0

Shawn Klein

On 7/24/2022 12:58 PM, Sharni-Lee Ward wrote:
The New Releases page said that Japanese was added to Espeak as well as the packaged Braille Tables. I want to learn Japanese (I started learning in school, then left school, and that was a good fifteen years ago now), and just found out the browser version of Duolingo is accessible with NVDA.

However, I've checked with a couple things (I'm a part of a number of anime fandoms), and NVDA doesn't switch to Japanese when reading passages, instead continuing to say "Japanese-letter" several times, or if I'm scrolling over it, "Japanese-letter" plus several numbers that I suppose are it's unicode designation? But anyways, it is not reflecting the addition of the language bank in Espeak NG. And I know the ProTalker addon has not been compatible for years, though even if it were, there were some weird pronunciation issues with even that.

Is there something I am missing here?