Re: Article on Screen Reader History (including NVDA)

Ken Perry

I think the difference comes down to the people who  want a fast tool synth to those who want their computers to sound more human.  I am much more into having speed than a human speaker.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Friday, July 22, 2022 11:05 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Article on Screen Reader History (including NVDA)

In this case, we have had synthesizers of the more natural voice type competing with Eloquence since the early 2000's as I recall.  I understand that different people prefer different synthesizers but fifteen or more years is too long a time for the initial advantage to be maintained to the extent that the preference for Eloquence evidently exists.

Gene
On 7/22/2022 9:57 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:

On Fri, Jul 22, 2022 at 10:53 AM, Gene wrote:

That may account for its initial popularity but it doesn't account for its continued popularity when so many other synthesizers are available.

-
You don't account for the fact that "whatever got there first" often tends to have real staying power even when superior alternatives appear later.  "It's what I'm used to," is a very powerful deterrent to change in many instances.

And the above is not meant to ignore the rest of what you've said.  But it is often the case that what came first, or very early on, that became very widely accepted remains so even after something demonstrably better has come along.

        ~ Dorothy Nevill