locked Re: First question

Gene

I said I wouldn't comment further but I'll make one more comment.

If you are going to use the laptop in such a way that you don't care if you use the internal keyboard or not, you don't have to worry about it.  I use my Windows 10 laptop with an external keyboard and I never intend to use it with its internal keyboard.

Gene

On 7/25/2022 10:52 PM, Quentin Christensen wrote:

We often get asked about computers, and like everyone has said here, more RAM helps, but NVDA should run on basically anything you can get your hands on - except Windows 10 S, stay away from that.

What I normally recommend looking at is what keyboard layout do you want?  Do you want a number pad, or do you prefer a smaller form factor without one?   What will you use as your NVDA key, and if Insert, check where it is on that keyboard.  Also, see if you can check the quality of the inbuilt speaker - even if you plan to use headphones or external speakers mostly, it's still handy and sometimes unavoidable using the build in speakers occasionally (and if they're that good, you might not need external speakers - but the last thing you want is to count on using the inbuilt speaker and then discover that it's unbearable to you).

The other personal comment I'd make is, both in general and in regards to a specific model line - don't buy the very cheapest available, but at the same time, don't pay heaps extra to buy the very newest processor.  Work out what your budget is and try to get something good quality in that range.  Models and brands vary - just because someone you know had a bad experience with Lenovo, doesn't make them all bad - similarly, just because your last Acer was brilliant, judge the next one on its own merits - companies change a lot in five years (and that isn't a comment for or against, Acer, Lenovo or any other brand).

On Tue, Jul 26, 2022 at 1:37 PM Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
The original question said the person wants to use the computer as a backup for a desktop and he discussed using programs where the extra speed offered by an SSD doesn't matter.  If you are going to be working on a Word document, if it takes one or two more seconds to load the document and an extra second to save the document once you have finished working on it, that amount of time saving doesn't justify getting an SSD. 

Having said that, computers from Computers For the Blind come with SSDs. 

This is my last message in the thread on the main NVDA list.  Since the first question asks about the amount of RAM NVDA uses, I'm not sure if it was appropriate for the main list, but further discussion on the main list isn't since, aside from the RAM question, the discussion has nothing to do with NVDA.

Gene

On 7/25/2022 9:42 PM, Harry Spencer wrote:

Yup, love the SSD. Made the old desktop PC jump like a pup. Harry

On 7/25/2022 7:34 PM, Chris Smart wrote:

Make sure if you get something used, that it has a solidstate drive. I’m saying that mostly for the increased speed over a physical hard disc.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Nimer Jaber
Sent: July 25, 2022 10:31 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] First question

Hello,

Thanks for reaching out. 4 GB will work, but you ideally want at least 8, and adding an extra 4 GB really isn't all that costly.

As for different computer brands, as this is subjective and begins to stray from the topic of NVDA, I suggest you ask on a list dedicated to discussing such things, or on the chat subgroup.

Thanks.

On Mon, Jul 25, 2022 at 7:29 PM Harry Spencer <hespencer55@...> wrote:

Hello. I've been lurking on this list for a couple of months and have
learned a lot. I have an immediate problem. My 10-year-old Toshiba
laptop died a couple of days ago.

I want to buy an inexpensive laptop as an replacement, but nothing
fancy, just Windows 10 or 11 with Thunderbird and MS Word and latest
NVDA. Mostly, I use a laptop for a backup for my desktop PC and word
processing.

In the past, I heard that JAWS and other screenreaders need lots of RAM,
8 GB or more. All the cheap laptops I'm looking at start at 4GB RAM. Is
that enough for NVDA?

Any suggesstions on me buying a cheap backup laptop functional with NVDA
will b very much appreciated.

Thanks. Harry

--

Best,

Nimer Jaber

Check out and subscribe to BlindTechAdventures in podcast audio form on YouTube for the latest happenings in tech.

You can follow @nimerjaber on Twitter for the latest technology news.

Thank you, and have a great day!

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.