Re: Adobe Acrobat reader & NVDA

Jackie

Quentin, as usual, thanks for a very helpful reply. that sample was
actually a very small part of a public document, ie, the Reaper up and
running 6.0 user's guide, & I can find so many like it, including
government documents, that it'd make your head spin & your eyes pop.

It's getting late here, but I'll install a portable copy of the beta
tomorrow & try it out. If the problem isn't remedied, I'll happily
file a report on Github.

Bob, Adobe crashed when I tried to save this particular document as
text, but having converted many to text myself, I can't really
remember a time when it's helped.

Have a blessed day, whatever time it is in your part of the world, everyone.

On 7/28/22, Bob Cavanaugh <cavbob1993@...> wrote:
There's a fairly easy way to figure out whether this is an NVDA
problem or an Adobe problem. Adobe Reader can convert PDFs to text
files. In most cases, those files are almost identical to what you see
in the PDF file. The exception being of course that there are no
headings, and if the PDF is an expandable tree, it will render in
Notepad as a regular document. I had a document that I think I was
going to try to convert and put spaces in once upon a time, but I
never did that, and when I opened that document to test, it displayed
properly. I vividly remember taking the time to put spaces in a text
document after converting it from PDF for a research project in
college. I'm tired tonight and probably won't have time to research
this before leaving town for the weekend tomorrow, but if I still have
this PDF, I can open it and report back probably Sunday or Monday.

On 7/28/22, Jackie <abletec@...> wrote:
I have a question regarding NVDA & readability/accessibility of Adobe
acrobat documents. I'm using:
adobe Acrobat DC version 22.1.20169.0
Microsoft Windows 10 Version 21H2 (OS Build 19044.1826)

I also have a program called QRead on my system which opens .pdf
files. I'm going to paste 2 identical samples of a document, 1
generated via the combination of NVDA & Adobe Acrobat DC & the other
generated using QRead & NVDA, respectively.

I'd like to know why such significant differences exist, & what, if
anything, can be done, because clearly the 1st rendering is truly
unacceptable.

Version 1--Adobe Acrobat DC

Up and Running:
Up and Running:A REAPER User Guidev 6.0
Version6.0December 2019
Thisguidewillbeupdatedregularlyasthesoftwareitselfisfurther
improvedanddeveloped.Checkfor updatesandother informationat
http://www.cockos.com/reaper/
Thisdocumenthasbeenproduced,compiledandrenderedtoPDFformatusingthewonderfulLibreOfficeWritersoftware.
FormoreinformationaboutLibreOfficegotohttps://www.libreoffice.org/
How to Use This Guide
REAPER isasophisticatedprogramandthere isnosingle
obviousoreasywayorordertopresentalloftheinformation containedin
thisguide.Ifyou needmore information aboutanytopicthan appearson
anyparticularpage,trysearching!The PDFedition
isbookmarked,andyourPDFreaderincludesaFindfeatureon
itstoolbar.Also,both the PDFandprintededitionsfeature
acomprehensiveindex.Useit!

Version 2 QRead & NVDA

[...]

to:
wp4newbs-request@... with 'subscribe' in the Subject field OR