Re: Adobe Acrobat reader & NVDA

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

I might have mentioned this before on this list, but I have changed my default from Adobe to Microsoft Edge Browser to read PDF documents.  Edge works very well with it.  The tool bar is at the top giving you very accessible choices for cut, copy, save, save as zoom in/out and so on. And I very seldom get a PDF document that doesn't read well with the Edge browser.

On 7/28/2022 11:16 PM, Jackie wrote:
Gene, you know what? I think it is. Screenreaders routinely alter the
appearance of documents to make them more usable, (think virtual
buffer for webpages). Adobe, like it or not, (& I don't) has become 1
of the most widely used tools, used by sighted & blind alike.

QRead happens to be a paid program. It seems also to be basically
abandoned, as in when its most recent incarnation broke keeping one's
place in the document, it was never fixed. I think because of the
nearly ubiquitous use of pdf documents, it's incumbant on screen
reader vendors to do whatever they can do to make these accessible. &
clearly a way to move forward doing just that has already been
implemented. So frankly I don't buy your argument.

On 7/28/22, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
This isn't an NVDA problem.  This is an illustration of why people need
more than one program in many cases.  One program recognizes the spaces
in this case and another doesn't.  In another document, the opposite may
be the case, Acrobat may render it better.

My guess is that a nonstandard code is used for spaces in the document.
My guess is that it has some sort of visual appeal.

Gene

On 7/28/2022 9:33 PM, Jackie wrote:
I have a question regarding NVDA & readability/accessibility of Adobe
acrobat documents. I'm using:
adobe Acrobat DC version 22.1.20169.0
Microsoft Windows 10 Version 21H2 (OS Build 19044.1826)

I also have a program called QRead on my system which opens .pdf
files. I'm going to paste 2 identical samples of a document, 1
generated via the combination of NVDA & Adobe Acrobat DC & the other
generated using QRead & NVDA, respectively.

I'd like to know why such significant differences exist, & what, if
anything, can be done, because clearly the 1st rendering is truly
unacceptable.

Version 1--Adobe Acrobat DC

Up and Running:
Up and Running:A REAPER User Guidev 6.0
Version6.0December 2019
Thisguidewillbeupdatedregularlyasthesoftwareitselfisfurther
improvedanddeveloped.Checkfor updatesandother informationat
http://www.cockos.com/reaper/
Thisdocumenthasbeenproduced,compiledandrenderedtoPDFformatusingthewonderfulLibreOfficeWritersoftware.
FormoreinformationaboutLibreOfficegotohttps://www.libreoffice.org/
How to Use This Guide
REAPER isasophisticatedprogramandthere isnosingle
obviousoreasywayorordertopresentalloftheinformation containedin
thisguide.Ifyou needmore information aboutanytopicthan appearson
anyparticularpage,trysearching!The PDFedition
isbookmarked,andyourPDFreaderincludesaFindfeatureon
itstoolbar.Also,both the PDFandprintededitionsfeature
acomprehensiveindex.Useit!

Version 2 QRead & NVDA

--
Signature:
For a nation to admit it has done grievous wrongs and will strive to correct them for the betterment of all is no vice;