Re: NVDA and windows 11

On Fri, Aug 5, 2022 at 03:46 AM, Brian's Mail list account wrote:
So for example if I take anytime upgrade from a 7 machine, one assumes you get 10, but since most are too old for 11 to work, that is basically the end of the line?
-
That would be a very safe presumption indeed.

Microsoft has published a list of processors that are Windows 11 compatible.  For intel i-series, that's 8th generation or newer.  For AMD there is no simple way to articulate which processors, so it's worth just looking at what Microsoft says.  But as a general statement, it's virtually certain that any machine that came with Windows 7 during the true Windows 7 era (that is, purchased prior to the release of Windows 8) is not going any higher than Windows 10.

By the time Windows 10 ends support in 2025 the vast majority of machines running it will be in the "due for replacement" category anyway.  I extend the life of most of my computers well beyond the 3-5 year figure often quoted for laptops and 5-7 year limit often quoted for desktop, but there are, ultimately, limits.  By the time any computer hits 10, even if it runs, it's due for a replacement if anything goes wrong.  The cost of repair would be better put toward new hardware. [And given how much cheaper computing power has become, and keeps becoming more so, that's even more the case.  Most of us are carrying smartphones that could beat the pants off of the Windows XP era computers, and certain Windows7 era computers, as far as processing power goes, and even RAM goes if you remember how little came with XP and early 7 era machines.]

         ~ Vance Packard