Re: NVDA 2022.2 and Microsoft Word

Gene

I should add that control NVDA r is the desktop keyboard setting.  I haven't checked the laptop keyboard setting.

Gene

On 8/6/2022 5:19 PM, Gene via groups.io wrote:

The only setting dealing with Word that I can see in advanced settings is this one:
Use UI Automation to access Microsoft Word document controls Default (Where suitable

There is no off setting in the combo box.  There is a setting that says something like when necessary.  That sounds like the setting that will use UI automation the least.

You don't have to worry about changing the setting.  It will either help matters or it won't.  You don't even have to go back into advanced settings to change it back.  If you haven't shut down and restarted NVDA, just use the command control NVDA key r to return to the previous setting.  It restores the saved configuration.

If you think the problem begain with a specific version of NVDA, the fastest and easiest way to find out if you can stop the problem by using an earlier version is to run an earlier version by selecting the run option when you run the installer.  It will run as though it were a portable version and you can test it with Word.

Someone else can tell you how to get the older version you want to test with.  They are all available.

then, if Word performs as you wish with that earlier version, create a portable version and use it whenever you want and the installed current version whenever you want.

Gene
On 8/6/2022 3:19 PM, Richard Wells wrote:

Hi Brian and all: Since my problems also occurred in NVDA 2022.1, I believe them to be related to this change. This release includes major improvements to UIA support with MS Office. For Microsoft Office 16.0.15000 and higher on Windows 11, NVDA will use UI Automation to access Microsoft Word documents by default. This provides a significant performance improvement over the old Object model access. I am seeing problems with editing in Microsoft Word in both Windows 10 and Windows 11. I wonder if there might be a way to fix this in preferences/advanced. I would not want to change anything in there unless someone tells me what to change, because I do not know what I am doing in there.

On 8/6/2022 2:45 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
If you have not done these already, please first try:  The Most Basic Troubleshooting Steps for Suspected NVDA Issues

After that, if none fixed the issue my next step is doing an uninstall and reinstall of NVDA itself, always fetching a fresh copy of the NVDA installer to do so.

If that doesn't do it, then I uninstall NVDA again, purge the folder %APPDATA%/nvda  AFTER having copied off any speech dictionaries (the SpeechDicts folder) and Profiles I may have created.  I let add-ons get nuked, but you could also back up that folder as well before deleting its parent NVDA folder in %APPDATA%.  After reinstalling, see if everything is OK.  If it is, then restore those folders - ONE AT A TIME - to the %APPDATA%/nvda folder, checking whether everything's still OK after you've restored each one.  I haven't often needed to go this far, but on rare occasion, I have.

All of the above is presuming that the root cause is NVDA.  It never hurts to do an Office Repair Install after the basic NVDA troubleshooting steps, as on rare occasions it's something in Office itself.  That can save you from the uninstall/reinstall of NVDA (but not often).

         ~ Vance Packard