Re: inserted advertising

JM Casey

In Firefox or Edge, yes. Chrome is a little different. It has a Reader Mode too, but it’s not enabled by default (unless this changed in very recent versions, but I don’t think so). You’ll need to type chrome://flags into the address bar. This will open a page of “deep settings” that control various browser functions. Look for “enable reader mode” (you can use the search box to do this, therea re a *lot* of flags in there) and activate it. Now, you’ll be able to enter reader mode on certain webpages. F9 won’t do it…I think the keystroke is ctrl-shift-r, and you’ll also see a button for it located in the address bar area if it’s available.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of mike mcglashon
Sent: August 7, 2022 02:57 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] inserted advertising

OK, so if I’m using chrome or edge,

Do I hit F9 to turn on reader mode/immersive reader?

I ask because sometimes it comes up on some websites and other times it doesn’t.

I hear jaws or Nbba or somebody like that say immersive reader sometimes but not all the time.

On Aug 7, 2022, at 1:36 PM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

 Immersive reader is another name for reader mode.  It won't take away control from your screen-reader.  It may have a read aloud button where reading is not done by the screen-reader but you have to manually start that option.

Gene

On 8/7/2022 12:53 PM, Mary Otten wrote:

I don't know about imersive reader. Reader mode strips out all the social media links e.g. "share on facebook" etc, as well as all the annoying ads that are sprinkled through many pages, letting you,k for example, see the ingredients and instructions for a recipe without the intervening disruptive ads. Or you can read an entire article without all those interruptions. In firefox, which is the easiest to use, in my view, you just hit f9 to invoke reader mode. That's all there is to it. When you move to another site, its turned off, so must be turned on each time you want to use it. You can also tottle it off if you're on a site where it didn't work well for some reason, just by hitting f9 again.

Mary

On 8/7/2022 9:59 AM, mike mcglashon wrote:

What is Reader mode?
Is it the same as immersive reader?
I seem to believe that if I use immersive reader it just continuously reads the whole webpage with no control to read line by line word by word, paragraph, etc.

On Aug 7, 2022, at 10:06 AM, Mary Otten <maryotten@...> wrote:

Use reader mode in your browser if available. Gets rid of all the crap.

Mary

On 8/7/2022 8:01 AM, Janet Brandly wrote:
I run into this a lot too and would appreciate any ideas about how to bypass it.