Re: inserted advertising

Gene

As I recall, in Chrome, this feature is hidden and must be turned on in the experimental settings category of settings.  this category of settings is not available in the ususal settings interface.  I'd have to look information about it again, but it is not intended that the general user know about the feature nor how to get to it.

Edge makes the feature available and provides a short cut command to toggle it on and off, f9.

It comes up on some web sites and not on others because the browser itself determines when it is appropriate to offer it.

There are pages without articles where it should not be offered.  If you are on a shopping site or the home page of a newspaper, it shouldn't be available.  One of its purposes is to remove extraneous material from articles.  Web pages without articles would be rendered useless if the same kind of material were removed.

As you will see from this interesting page, Immersive reader wasn't developed as a blindness accessibility tool, at least in the case of Edge.  Blind people may benefit from it but look at all the features offered, most of them visual.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/use-immersive-reader-in-microsoft-edge-78a7a17d-52e1-47ee-b0ac-eff8539015e1

Gene

On 8/7/2022 1:56 PM, mike mcglashon wrote:

OK, so if I’m using chrome or edge,
Do I hit F9 to turn on reader mode/immersive reader?
I ask because sometimes it comes up on some websites and other times it doesn’t.
I hear jaws or Nbba or somebody like that say immersive reader sometimes but not all the time.

On Aug 7, 2022, at 1:36 PM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

 Immersive reader is another name for reader mode.  It won't take away control from your screen-reader.  It may have a read aloud button where reading is not done by the screen-reader but you have to manually start that option.

Gene

On 8/7/2022 12:53 PM, Mary Otten wrote:
I don't know about imersive reader. Reader mode strips out all the social media links e.g. "share on facebook" etc, as well as all the annoying ads that are sprinkled through many pages, letting you,k for example, see the ingredients and instructions for a recipe without the intervening disruptive ads. Or you can read an entire article without all those interruptions. In firefox, which is the easiest to use, in my view, you just hit f9 to invoke reader mode. That's all there is to it. When you move to another site, its turned off, so must be turned on each time you want to use it. You can also tottle it off if you're on a site where it didn't work well for some reason, just by hitting f9 again.

Mary

On 8/7/2022 9:59 AM, mike mcglashon wrote:
What is Reader mode?
Is it the same as immersive reader?
I seem to believe that if I use immersive reader it just continuously reads the whole webpage with no control to read line by line word by word, paragraph, etc.
On Aug 7, 2022, at 10:06 AM, Mary Otten <maryotten@...> wrote:

Use reader mode in your browser if available. Gets rid of all the crap.

Mary

On 8/7/2022 8:01 AM, Janet Brandly wrote:
I run into this a lot too and would appreciate any ideas about how to bypass it.