locked Re: Wordpad Shortcut to Desktop

Sarah k Alawami

Check your desktop. It should be there. I get a thing that says "can't create a shortcut here.. It then asks if I want to create it on the desktop, I say yes, then say yes, or would if I had UAC on. Are you not getting any of those dialogues? Can you record what happens when you try and do this and upload it to WeTransfer or dropbox?

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Nevzat Adil
Sent: Monday, August 8, 2022 6:06 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Wordpad Shortcut to Desktop

Gene,

That's exactly what I do, but when I press enter on yes nothing happens, From what Brian tells me I should get a dialog box. Another choice I get when I go to context menu is 'run as administrator' on which I enter yes, as well, but nothing changes.

On 8/8/22, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
When you press enter on create shortcut, which is what it should say,
you should get a message that Windows can't create a shortcut here and
asking if you want to send it to the desktop. That is, that is what
you should hear if the account allows you to create shortcuts. I
don't know anything about that subject.

Gene

On 8/8/2022 7:35 AM, Nevzat Adil wrote:
Brian,

The computer is mine. I am not sure if I have administrative
privileges. When I go to context menu I finde 'create shortcut".
Should it say new shortcut?

Nevzat,

Is the computer you're trying to do this on yours, and where you are
using an account with admin privileges when you're trying to do it?

My only theory, and that's all it is, for why the New Shortcut
option would not work from the Context Menu is if you do not have
the necessary permissions to add one. If it's a work computer, or
you're using a standard account except when you do admin-focused
tasks, that's a possible factor.

*The difference between a top-flight creative man and the hack is
his ability to express powerful meanings indirectly.*

~ Vance Packard

--
Nevzat Adil
Library of Congress Certified