Re: NVDA and Fractions

Quentin Christensen

Looks like Brian sorted out the cup issue, but I can answer the one ratio 48 thing on Windows startup.  Normally a clock would be displayed as 1:48, that is 1 colon 48.  Ratios are written very similarly - I always thought it was the same symbol, so computer monitors are often 16:9 which is for every 16 pixels they are wide, they are 9 high.  It turns out there is a "ratio" symbol, which looks exactly like a colon, only set slightly higher.  For reasons known only to Microsoft, they chose to use that symbol to display the clock on the Windows lock screen.  I've raised it with them, but really the best way to influence change (on this or other issues) is for as many people to be heard as possible and also write to them - either to @msftenable on twitter, the disability answer desk, or accessibility feedback page: https://microsoftaccessibility.uservoice.com/forums/307429-microsoft-accessibility-feedback

Regards

Quentin.

On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 4:50 AM, John Sanfilippo <johnsanfilippo@...> wrote:
Hi,

I have no solution, but do also experience this and similar odd "super
interpretations" which are annoying.

I'm not sure if the problem is with NVDA or with the chosen speech
synth. For instance, I'm using Microsoft's SAPI5, David.

O, and when my Mac boots in win10 the logon voice is e-speak. It says
"one ratio 48" instead of "thirteen 48" or "one 48 PM".

John S

--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer