Re: NVDA and Fractions

Quentin Christensen

Hi Brian,

This is the character

Visually, it looks very similar to a regular colon : - to be honest, I don't really understand why there is a character devoted to it when visually 99% of people would never know the difference.  In fact though, used properly, it is the kind of character that could be beneficial to screen reader users - as the synthesizer or screen reader then doesn't need to try and ascertain the context of two dots on top of each other to work out whether it is a colon or a ratio.  As we've seen in the case of the time on the Windows lock screen however, if you give people the option to mess something up....

Here's a page with all the characteristics of the ratio symbol: http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/2236/index.htm

Regards

Quentin.

On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 9:38 AM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

Quentin,

            Are you able to snag the ratio character you refer to and send it to me via e-mail?

            In any case, the following regular expression should catch the time as shown by Microsoft no matter what the character used between the hour and the minute:

                        ([1]*[0-9]+)(.)([0-5]{1}[0-9]{1}) ([a,A,p,P])([m,M])

and use the following replace string to get it pronounced correctly (note, I am going to presume that the backslash is used as the match string notation, if you regular expression interpreter uses the dollar sign substitute it where I have a backslash):

                        \1 \3 \4 \5

this would take the string "6:37 PM" and break it up as "6 37 P M" for the synthesizer.

    ~ Lauren Bacall

--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer