Re: Portable copy

Gene

I should add that I'm not sure what you are saying about the portable version and updates.  You can set it not to look for updates, just as you can the installed version.  Whether it updates is determined by you, just the same as you determine whether an installed version updates.

As I said, I'm not sure what you are saying.  I'm saying that the update procedure is the same.

Gene

On 8/9/2022 9:34 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:

It's possible to make and run a portable copy of NVDA (or any other program that has a portable variant) from any media of your choosing.

Although portable variants are intended to be, well, portable the two things that determine that they truly are:
1. They're placed on media that can be carried with you, e.g., a thumb drive, SD card, external HDD.
2. They do not install, and by that I mean in the literal sense.  Installed programs make entries in the Windows Registry and also often either add libraries of their own into the existing collection or rely on libraries from it.  Portable variants do neither of those things and everything they need is self-contained in the folder structure created.

The NVDA installer (whether a fresh one downloaded from NVAccess, or the built-in auto update function) does not update portable copies.  If you want updated portable copies you need to have NVDA make new ones for you.

So, yes, you can create a folder such as C:\Portable_Programs\NVDA and create a portable copy of NVDA there, and it will remain there, and can be run from there, and it will never be updated unless you update it.  You can also, at the same time, have an active installed version of NVDA on the same machine.  Some people create portable copies of whatever version of NVDA it is that they currently have running, and do so in a dedicated folder on their hard drives, immediately prior to updating to a new version as an "insurance policy" against possible issues.

By the way, once you have a portable copy on anything, the root folder can be copied over to as many other places as you might wish, and you have additional portable copies since all pieces needed to run a portable copy are contained in the folder structure.

         ~ Vance Packard