Re: NVDA and Fractions

Quentin Christensen

I expect whoever was designing the lock screen, looked at their mock up with the time written in whatever font it's in, came across the ratio character and visually liked the placement of it a little bit better - it never occurred to them that anyone would do anything other than visually look at that screen.  Definitely odd that it was allowed though.

On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 10:03 AM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

Quentin,

        Thanks.  I agree that it's bizarre that Microsoft decided to use the ratio symbol in time.  It actually looks like a colon set slightly lower than center, but it's not something I would ever have thought of, nor thought it was not a colon, until you mentioned this.

         I also confirmed that my regular expression and replacement make NVDA stop saying "ratio" as part of time (at least when I have it written out in a MS-Word document using the ratio symbol as the separator).  But since AM and PM are read as on would expect one can simplify the regular expression to:

([1]*[0-9]+)(.)([0-5]{1}[0-9]{1}) ([a,A,p,P][m,M])

and the replacement expression to:  \1 \3 \4

since there's no need to separate the A or P from the M to get things announced as one would expect.

It's been some years since I had to use regular expressions with any regularity but they're somewhat like riding a bicycle in that once you've done that you can pick it up again pretty much anytime later on.

    ~ Lauren Bacall

--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer