Re: Portable copy

Gene

I think the problem will probably be fixed at some point.  It will be interesting to find out what caused it, if we are ever informed.  JAWS reads the status line.  I wonder what changed to cause NVDA not to read it when the command is used.

The message below yours, Ron, is my message discussing how to cause NVDA not to check for new versions.  I want to avoid confusion.  I don't want people to think that I was describing how to tell Thunderbird not to check for new versions.

Gene

On 8/9/2022 1:37 PM, Ron Canazzi wrote:

Hi Group,

Well since I am receiving conflicting information (from other lists) concerning Thunderbird accessibility, I installed a portable version of 102.1.1 and told it to check for updates.  When the updates are downloaded and installed, I can see what if any accessibility issues remain or have been addressed.  When I am sure that they all if they ever are, then I will install the permanent version to my system.
As of now 102.1.1 still has issues with the status bar. We shall see.

On 8/9/2022 12:59 PM, Gene wrote:
When I am running the portable version I want not to check for updates, I set it not to do so in the general settings, just as you can in the installed version.  I also uncheck the check box not to notify me of updates at startup.  I am never asked.

Gene

On 8/9/2022 11:51 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Tue, Aug 9, 2022 at 12:08 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
As installed and portable copies are identical, portable copies DO support updating to a newer version of themselves.
-
This being the case, is there a way to create a .bat file with a command line invocation of NVDA that would tell it not to check for updates.  I haven't needed to create archival portables for some time, but when I do I don't even want them to ask me about updating them.  The main reason, besides needing NVDA briefly on a machine where I choose not to install it, that I create portable copies is to "freeze that version in time."

         ~ Vance Packard

--
Signature:
For a nation to admit it has done grievous wrongs and will strive to correct them for the betterment of all is no vice;