Input Methods for Simplified Mandarin from Pinyin

lutztiger.luigi@...

Dear list,

I’m part of an intensive Mandarin course in Germany at the moment. In about a week it will be mandatory for me being able to write simplified characters on a laptop (Windows 10, NVDA 2021.4, using IBM-TTS).

Many sighted people use a Pinyin based input method in which they type in the pinyin and are shown homophone characters of which they visually select the right one. Obviously, this method isn’t exactly accessible.

How do blind NVDA-users input simplified chinese characters? I’ve tried the Microsoft Bopomofo keyboard (part of traditional Chinese language packs, but allows simplified output), but I didn’t figure out how to distinguish between homophones so far.

I’m glad for any help!

Best

Almaric