From: "Gene" <gsasner@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, August 13, 2022 4:50 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] errors I get? don't understand.

I wouldn't want to generalize but when I upgraded from one version of
NVDA to another, even with compatible add-ons, some of them didn't
work. Is it common for add-ons to need reinstalling when you create an
installed version from a portable version or upgrade?

You talked about a tripple talk problem. I'm not sure if that accounts
for NVDA appearing not to run because it should revert to the default
NVDA synthesizer if it can't run the assigned one but even so, it makes
me wonder if my suspicion was correct yesterday, that the screen-reader
could be running without speech.

Gene

On 8/12/2022 9:55 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,

These are add-on errors. Specifically:

1. TripleTalk USB: an issue with the add-on manifest.
2. Conflict between NVDA Extension and Sound Splitter add-ons when
trying to initialize wave playback subsystem in NVDA.
3. Inability to access a specific web resource from an add-on.

When you do send log fragments (if you must do so), please only
include the fragment that results in errors (typically a fragment that
starts with "error" followed by timestamp and traceback). While the
info log does not contain input and output data, it still contains
enough information to figure out specs of your system and user path.

A tip for folks parsing NVDA logs: the log analyzed is one of those
that include tracebacks from add-ons. You can determine involvement of
add-ons in error messages if parts of the traceback refer to what
appears to be NVDA user configuration folder path, and that
probability increases if the error traceback does end with an error
coming from an add-on. I state the last sentence like this (increase
in probability) because:

1. Add-ons can and sometimes do patch NVDA screen reader itself in
predictable and unpredictable ways. This stems from not NVDA, but
due to Python internals. The fragment about an add-on saying that
another add-on patched parts of NVDA is a good example.
2. Add-ons can call NVDA features without realizing that it doesn't
exist or things have changed. This is the reason why just editing
the manifest will not work on all add-ons.

I think the log fragment posted indicates issues beyond NV Access's
control; no, actually these are issues beyond NVDA developers' control
as add-ons are involved in the log fragment, more so for this
fragment. I suggest contacting authors of affected add-ons (for Sound
Splitter, I have no plans to resolve this at this time as I'm no
longer maintaining it).

Cheers,

Joseph