Re: NVDA and Fractions

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Brian and Quentin,

I would like to know more about regular expressions and how to use them. Could you point me in the right direction?

This looks like an important skill particularly with the rise of text to speech delivery of eBooks! BorrowBox have just brought out theirs and it uses the regular API voices. For example the word reach is being pronounced as ree, akt to give you an idea of the mispronunciation.

All the best,

Cearbhall

m +353 (0)833323487 Ph: _353 (0)1-2864623 e: cearbhall.omeadhra@...

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2016 12:03 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA and Fractions

Quentin,

Thanks.  I agree that it's bizarre that Microsoft decided to use the ratio symbol in time.  It actually looks like a colon set slightly lower than center, but it's not something I would ever have thought of, nor thought it was not a colon, until you mentioned this.

I also confirmed that my regular expression and replacement make NVDA stop saying "ratio" as part of time (at least when I have it written out in a MS-Word document using the ratio symbol as the separator).  But since AM and PM are read as on would expect one can simplify the regular expression to:

([1]*[0-9]+)(.)([0-5]{1}[0-9]{1}) ([a,A,p,P][m,M])

and the replacement expression to:  \1 \3 \4

since there's no need to separate the A or P from the M to get things announced as one would expect.

It's been some years since I had to use regular expressions with any regularity but they're somewhat like riding a bicycle in that once you've done that you can pick it up again pretty much anytime later on.

-- 
Brian

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.

~ Lauren Bacall

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.