Re: can't read items in folder

Russell James

I have had similar experiences with things like the Windows Update window
Usually when it first opens it says the last time it was updated
However, it is not accessible to the mouse or arrow keys
Then if I use the tab key it seems to put it into focus and the window becomes accessible

I have also had to get used to something similar while editing email messages.
However, I don't know what triggers the problem...
Sometimes it is like the message edit box goes out of focus
Then the arrow keys stop speaking the text being edited
If I force the focus to somewhere else like the subject field and come back to the edit box it works  properly again

I have only been having these problems in more recent versions of NVDA.
This probably started about a year or so ago...

Russ

On Sat, Aug 13, 2022 at 6:25 PM Don H <lmddh50@...> wrote:
Running latest releases of Win 10 and NVDA.
On a random basis I can open a folder such as my documents or downloads
and it appears on the screen to be normal.  However I can not read the
files and folders by either using first letter or up and down arrows.  I
try closing the folder and open it again with same results.  So far the
only way I have found to solve the problem is to close and restart
NVDA.On some instances I have to close and restart NVDA more than once
to resolve the problem.  Is there a better way to handle this problem
when it happens?
Thanks