From: "Brian Vogel" <britechguy@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, August 14, 2022 5:55 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] can't read items in folder

On Sun, Aug 14, 2022 at 12:38 PM, Don H wrote:

When I posted the original question I indicated that I was running the
latest released version of Win 10 and NVDA. I was not talking about the
Windows update screen but not being able to work through the entries in
such folders as the documents and download folders.
-
Yes, but several someones have introduced what they believe to be related issues. It's perfectly OK for anyone to respond regarding those issues when they know something about them, but not necessarily the one you originally identified.

But you also need to realize that yours is the very first report of this particular issue that I can recall on the NVDA Group. That really does suggest that this issue is limited, if not strictly to you then to a very small subset of NVDA users.

Whenever any suspected NVDA-related issue is encountered, the first thing to do is: The Most Basic Troubleshooting Steps for Suspected NVDA Issues ( https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/message/81494 )

If the issue seems possibly related to Windows (and this one is clearly in that class) it never hurts, after having tried those basic troubleshooting steps, to do the following:

1. Using DISM (Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management) and SFC (System File Checker) to Repair Windows 8.1, 10 & 11 ( https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B98uELZbPFnOc2l4M0Y1V3pkcGM )

2. Performing a Windows 10 or 11 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows ISO file ( https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1RZiHlLVtXewYBgoSvJNm9_08hj1tALPK )

If #1 fixes the issue, #2 is unnecessary.

All of these steps are part of the process of elimination and step-by-step diagnostics in order to rule-in or rule-out possible factors.

*The difference between a top-flight creative man and the hack is his ability to express powerful meanings indirectly.*

~ Vance Packard