From: "Brian Vogel" <@britechguy>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Monday, October 17, 2016 6:30 PM
Subject: [nvda] NVDA and Fractions

Hello All,

On the JFW group a thread has started entitled, How to insert a 1-digit fraction into a 2013 word document ( https://jfw.groups.io/g/main/topic/how_to_insert_a_1_digit/2911704?p=,,,100,0,0,0::RecentPostDate%2FSticky,,,100,2,0,2911704 )

I started playing with NVDA and Window-Eyes to see how they'd handle three-character fraction designations versus single vulgar fraction characters for vulgar fractions other than one fourth, one half, and three quarters. With NVDA I've run into an interesting issue that I cannot seem to fix in the context of writing something incredibly common: a recipe. Virtually any recipe you name might contain a fraction of a cup of something. When I use one slash three for one third, or two slash three for two thirds, the word cup that follows it is consistently announced as Cuban Pesos, not cup. This is not true when I use a vulgar fraction character ahead of the word cup, and NVDA does what I consider the more natural thing and doesn't announce "vulgar" or "vulgar fraction" followed by one third or two thirds, but just says the fractional amount and the word cup gets said as cup.

I have tried tweaking the default and voice dictionaries, but must be doing something wrong. The pattern I'm using is the word cup, and the replacement is the word cup, and I make sure that it's set for whole word only. Even after doing this I still get "Cuban pesos" after the three-character version of a vulgar fraction. I have exited NVDA and restarted it and it makes no difference.

I either don't have the format down correctly for what I need to put in for the dictionary, have the wrong dictionary, or there's some sort of bug here as I can't imagine "Cuban pesos" to be something you'd want said for "cup" except in the very rarest of circumstances.

Can anyone help me out here?
--
*Brian*

*Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete. If you’re alive, it isn’t.*

~ Lauren Bacall