Re: A suggestion for the next NVDA release

Quentin Christensen

Good point. I think that's not what the original poster had in mind, but definitely relevant to the discussion - for anyone unsure, if you open the Document Formatting dialog with NVDA+control+d, the options for Report links, report headings, report landmarks etc, will control whether these titles are announced as the appropriate elements are encountered in a document.

In my previous example for instance, if you turned off reporting of headings and links, NVDA would simply read:

Search results
NVDA

Which would certainly be challenging if you weren't familiar with the page, although using "K" for instance, you would at least know which was a link.

Regards

Quentin.

On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 2:05 PM, Alexander Masic <list@...> wrote:

there is an option were you can turn off anounsment of heading, landmarks, frames and so on....   but still jump betwean them. I turn them on, because regularey i don't mnead them to be anoused. And then if i nead, it's easy to turn them on again.

    .

Den 2016-10-19 kl. 04:46, skrev Quentin Christensen:
Hi Casey,

Currently, when navigating around a web page, if using say all (NVDA+down arrow / NVDA+a) or using the arrows, NVDA will announce the type of element, and then the element text, eg:

Heading level 2: Search results
Heading level 3, link: NVDA

If using TAB, or single letter navigation keys, such as H or 1, 2, 3, or shift+h etc to move to headings, or k to move to links, NVDA reads:

Search results, heading level 2
NVDA, link, heading level 3.

If you are pressing "3" to move between heading level 3 items (such as search results in Google), the assumption would be that you know each element you get to will be a heading level 3, and therefore it saves time to read the heading itself first before reiterating that it is a heading level 3.  If you are using say all or pressing down arrow, you won't necessarily know what kind of element the focus will move to next and whether, or how, you can interact with it.

Does that work how you wanted?  Or, how are you navigating?

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 12:57 PM, Casey <cwollner@...> wrote:
Hi I woudl like to have the way to adjust when going threw web pages with heading you can hear the word heading 1 and then what the heading is.
and then hear heading 2 and the title of it.
Instead of hear what the heading is and then hearing heading one.
And then it would also be nice to be able to change the hearing the word link when going threw web pages first.
Instead of hearing what the link is and then hearing the word link after that.
So maybe if those selections can be added in to the next release that would be nice.

--
Casey

--
Quentin Christensen