Re: NVDA's built-in OCR Capabilities

Steve Nutt

Hi Brian,

Not as far as I know with NVDA, but JAWS allows you to open the resulting file in Word, and it retains formatting as best it can. So it is definitely best out there for built in OCR to a screen reader.

All the best

Steve

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: 08 September 2022 16:33
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA's built-in OCR Capabilities

Topic retitled for clarity and archival purposes.

But I also have a question:  Do any of the "internal" OCR options result in the file being OCRed having those changes kept permanently?  I can't imagine that the single page "quick and dirty" OCR would do this as it would make no sense to even try because many documents are more than one page, and a partially OCRed file is as bad as one that still needs to be processed.  But I don't know much about the NVDA Advanced OCR (NAO) Add-On other than that it exists and what its primary purpose is.

If the file is to be used over and over and over again, and neither adds a text layer that sticks with the file, there are other options that do just that.  But they're not done by NVDA itself or an add-on.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044  

It is well to open one's mind but only as a preliminary to closing it . . . for the supreme act of judgment and selection.

~ Irving Babbitt

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.