Re: NVDA's built-in OCR Capabilities

On Mon, Sep 12, 2022 at 09:20 AM, Steve Nutt wrote:
I would posit that OCR scanning is not really the function of a screen reader, beyond scanning the current screen, so I think that NVDA is right to not build this in natively.
-
And that's precisely what I think as well.

There seems to be this idea, among some, that a screen reader itself is supposed to be this Swiss Army Knife type tool that literally does anything and everything that any given user thinks it should be able to do.  I don't.  Screen readers exist to allow blind or visually-impaired users to access the same software that those of us who can see do use to do all sorts of things.

My multi-function is what I use to scan material (with OCR processing as part of the initial scan, and that's been common for years now) and the scanner software is what handles all of that.  If the scanning software is accessible, then the problem is already solved.  If it's not, then the issue lies with the scanning software, not the screen reader.

Having a "quick and dirty" ability to OCR what's on a screen is one thing.  Having the capability to act as substitute scanning software for all conditions is entirely another.

It is well to open one's mind but only as a preliminary to closing it . . . for the supreme act of judgment and selection.

       ~ Irving Babbitt