Re: NVDA's built-in OCR Capabilities

Bhavya shah

Dear all,

I don't mean to detract from the main subject of the thread, but is
there an add-on or future plans for core for NVDA to offer image
descriptions? VoiceOver, JAWS, and I believe Talkback all do, and I'd
say that offering a description of on-screen content such as a graphic
is within the scope of a screen reader. I know there was an add-on
called Online Image Describer at one point which, last I recall, was
not updated for compatibility.

Thanks.

On Mon, Sep 12, 2022 at 09:20 AM, Steve Nutt wrote:

I would posit that OCR scanning is not really the function of a screen
reader, beyond scanning the current screen, so I think that NVDA is right
to not build this in natively.
-
And that's precisely what I think as well.

There seems to be this idea, among some, that a screen reader itself is
supposed to be this Swiss Army Knife type tool that literally does anything
and everything that any given user thinks it should be able to do.  I
don't.  Screen readers exist to allow blind or visually-impaired users to
access the same software that those of us who can see do use to do all sorts
of things.

My multi-function is what I use to scan material (with OCR processing as
part of the initial scan, and that's been common for years now) and the
scanner software is what handles all of that.  If the scanning software is
accessible, then the problem is already solved.  If it's not, then the issue
lies with the scanning software, not the screen reader.

Having a "quick and dirty" ability to OCR what's on a screen is one thing.
Having the capability to act as substitute scanning software for all
conditions is entirely another.

It is well to open one's mind but only as a preliminary to closing it . . .
for the supreme act of judgment and selection.

~ Irving Babbitt

--
Kind Regards,
Bhavya Shah