Re: NVDA's built-in OCR Capabilities

Quentin Christensen

Hi Bhavya,

One of the main blockers to this is license-free access to a description engine.  I don't believe we're against including such functionality, but all of the ones I know of are either paid, or require a license or another product - either or both of which might be possible, but would require planning in how to implement and likely agreements with those providers.

Those other screenreaders you cite already have the user individually logging in to an account in order to use them, which doesn't happen with NVDA.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Tue, Sep 13, 2022 at 2:42 PM Bhavya shah <bhavya.shah125@...> wrote:
Dear all,

I don't mean to detract from the main subject of the thread, but is
there an add-on or future plans for core for NVDA to offer image
descriptions? VoiceOver, JAWS, and I believe Talkback all do, and I'd
say that offering a description of on-screen content such as a graphic
is within the scope of a screen reader. I know there was an add-on
called Online Image Describer at one point which, last I recall, was
not updated for compatibility.

Thanks.

--
Kind Regards,