Re: Configurations not holding between two MS word docs.

Quentin Christensen

Hi Christopher,

I haven't seen a report of this before, but happy to investigate.

Could you get me a copy of your NVDA log to have a look at please, ideally at debug level?
Please send it attached to an email to info@....  Include a description of what you have done and what isn't working as it should (so I know what it's about in case I don't get to investigate today).

First of all, your NVDA key is either INSERT or CAPS LOCK, depending on how you have NVDA setup.  So, to set your log level:
1) Press NVDA+control+g to open the general settings
2) Press TAB until the focus is on 'Log level'
3) Press DOWN ARROW to get to 'Debug'
4) Press ENTER to close settings
5) Press NVDA+control+c to save settings.

To restart NVDA with add-ons disabled:
1) Press NVDA+Q
2) Down arrow to 'Restart with add-ons disabled'
3) Press ENTER

Next, recreate the issue - do whatever causes problems.

To get NVDA's log after that, there are several ways:

If NVDA is still running and usable:
1) Press NVDA+F1 to open the log viewer
2) Press CONTROL+A to select all.
3) Press CONTROL+C to copy.
4) Open your email and start a message to info@..., type a little about what you have done and what has happened in the body of the message, then leave a space and:
5) Press CONTROL+V to paste the copied log.

Instead of using the log viewer, or if NVDA has stopped and you needed to restart it or the computer:
1) Press WINDOWS+R to open Windows' Run dialog
2) Type %temp% and press ENTER (that's the percent sign, the letter t e m p and another percent sign).  Windows Explorer should open to the temporary folder.
3) Press TAB to move to the file list
4) Press N and move down to find up to three files:  nvda.log (the log file for the current or most recent NVDA session), nvda-old.log (the log from the previous session) and nvda-crash.dmp (a crash dump with more information created if NVDA itself crashes).
5) Depending on what email program you use, the steps will be different, but attach as many of those three files to an email to info@... as will be useful, and again in the body of the message describe a bit about what has happened.

On Tue, Sep 20, 2022 at 2:17 AM Christopher Bartlett <themusicalbrewer@...> wrote:
Win 10: latest beta just installed this morning.
The situation: I have two MS word documents, a story I'm editing, and a separate comments document.  I have an editing configuration I prefer in Word for this sort of thing.
The problem: when switching back and forth between documents with alt-tab, my voice configuration parameters are reverting to factory default for rate and pitch at least, (haven't checked other settings). This does not happen consistently, but every three or four switches.  It's not consistent in which document the reversion happens, but once it does, it reverts for both documents.
STeps taken: I have reset the parameters several times.  I have verified that I am in my word editing profile.  I have manually saved the configuration after resetting it several times.
What am I missing?

Christopher Bartlett

--
Christopher Bartlett