Re: move NVDA settings to new computer

Gene

I believe it will transfer all add-ons.

Whether the add-on will have to be authorized, I don't know.  Since you are placing the add-on in a copy you will use portably, and it is a product you pay for, you may have to authorize it in the portable copy.

Open tools and press enter on create portable copy.
A dialog will open.
Tab around the dialog and you will find a check box that says something like use current user configuration.  Check it with the space bar, then continue to create the portable copy.
Set up a folder with nothing in it before you begin to create the portable copy and use it during creation.  If you don't, the files will be splattered all over whatever already used folder you select.  The portable installation should automatically make its own folder at whatever location you are using, as happens when you unzip a file, but it doesn't.

Gene

On 9/22/2022 6:15 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Thu, Sep 22, 2022 at 07:08 PM, Don H wrote:
Will this properly install addons such as the code factory vocalizer addon? Wasn't there a way to move the settings from a portable copy made from the old computer?
-
I don't know the answer to your first question, because I don't know what Code Factory's licensing scheme is and what it checks (or doesn't) in relation to the computer on which it's running.  I can say it will copy the add-on over in its entirety, but that doesn't mean that it will work.  Someone else will have to answer this, as I don't own it.

Sarah has already referenced the ability to make a portable copy of NVDA, including your add-ons when you do so, then using that portable copy as as the install media on your new computer.  I believe I recall when you do that it will ask you if you wish to copy the profile/settings/configuration associated with the portable copy to the new installation, but I haven't done this in ages.

It is well to open one's mind but only as a preliminary to closing it . . . for the supreme act of judgment and selection.

       ~ Irving Babbitt