From: "Gene" <gsasner@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Friday, September 23, 2022 4:39 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA and natural voices

The person doing the video keeps repeating how natural the voices sound,
as though a natural sounding voice in and of itself is an extraordinary
achievement. We've had natural sounding voices for a long time. Having
natural sounding voices is common these days. Its other characteristics
of a lot of these voices that cause me to dislike them.

If the behavior of the voices using Edge is what you get when using them
in Windows 11, they currently have characteristics that would lead me to
not use the voices.

By far the most important one is the ridiculously long pauses at the
ends of sentences.
If this occurs in Narrator and not just in Edge, those long, long pauses
are maddening to the point where I wouldn't consider using the voices as
long as the pauses can't be adjusted by the user and greatly shortened.

Also, inflection is too high and there is a slight sing-songy quality to
the inflection.

The voices may be quite good if these defects are eliminated.

Do these problems exist when using the voices with Narrator? Those
interested in using these voices, if these problems exist when using
Narrator, and if you object to them, may wish to contact Microsoft about
them.

Gene
On 9/22/2022 10:12 PM, Gene via groups.io wrote:
This youtube video let's you hear at least a little of the voices, I
didn't listen to all of it so I don't know if more samples are
provided later. But the really important thing is that it tells you
how to hear them on any system using Edge.

You can have material more than just a short sample spoken.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdQitJEuyug

On 9/22/2022 8:30 PM, Şenolcan HANCI wrote:

Hello friends. As you know with Windows 11 22h2 new natural voices
are available, although for english USA for now. İ have a question.
To see these voices in NVDA, does Microsoft or NVDA developers should
take a step and can we do something for this

Windows için Posta <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986>
ile gönderildi