locked Re: From the JFW User's list (yes, there is a direct NVDA tie in): How to stop jaws from interfering with an application's keyboard commands

Nimer Jaber

There is a setting that *may* accomplish this, but I don't have a way of testing right now. That is the setting for passing keystrokes to the application. I believe that this has more to do with web keystrokes, just as the JAWS feature does, but it may be possible that NVDA passes keystrokes to JAWS because JAWS is running and JAWS steals the keystrokes? Not sure... It's typically not a great idea to run both simultaneously anyway.

On Tue, Sep 27, 2022 at 9:14 PM Quentin Christensen <quentin@...> wrote:
I'm not aware of such a mode either Brian....

NVDA+shift+s (or for laptop: NVDA+shift+z) puts NVDA into sleep mode, which "disables all NVDA commands and speech/braille output for the current application".

There is the NVDA+F2 pass through key which "Tells NVDA to pass the next key press straight through to the active application - even if it is normally treated as an NVDA key command" - that will then speak anything the command happens to do - but you need to press it for each keystroke.

If someone has a quirky hack to accomplish it, like plugging a second keyboard in, then I'd be interested as well, but I'm not aware of it.

Note: Plugging a second keyboard in, to my knowledge will not work - it will simply pass any keystrokes you press on it to the computer as normal - in fact, I just tried and you can even press a keystroke across two keyboards - I just held down ALT on my laptop keyboard and pressed TAB on my external keyboard and it switches windows.  Neat, but I can't think of a time I would use it.

On Wed, Sep 28, 2022 at 9:16 AM Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
Here is the topic:
How to stop jaws from interfering with an application's keyboard commands

This is the claim I find incredibly confusing, and believe to be false, "Yeah it puts the synth to sleep as well, so no speech from the game using Jaws, which is why that option isn't always useful in my case. Some of you mentioned there's no way to pass all keystrokes through to the application using any screen reader, except for the fact that NVDA does exactly this, with no problems."

The individual asking this keeps claiming that NVDA can and does have a way (and not sleeping NVDA, but where NVDA still narrates/announces) where all keystrokes are passed through to the underlying application without any need to use the pass-through command nor with any NVDA actions being taken.  Kinda like a speaking sleep.

I have never seen or experienced any such mode, and unless I've taken leave of my senses it simply does not exist.  But I had to ask if anyone knows of any such mode and, if so, how one gets it activated, as it's certainly not the default mode.
--

Brian Virginia, USA  Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

         ~ Austin O'Malley

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

Check out and subscribe to BlindTechAdventures in podcast audio form on YouTube for the latest happenings in tech.

Thank you, and have a great day!