Date   

Re: Removing bookmarks in Firefox with NVDA

Gene
 

Any time you want to do something like this in various programs, go to the item and check the context menu.  You don't have to go the the web page.  Move to the book mark in the list, and use the context menu to delete it.
 
Gene

----- Original Message -----
From: Mallard
Sent: Monday, November 21, 2016 7:52 AM
Subject: [nvda] Removing bookmarks in Firefox with NVDA

Hello all,

I'm trying to remove some bookmarks from Firefox.
I'm running Windows10, Firevox 50.0, NVDA latest Next snapshot.

I looked up the topic in Firefox support guide, but it talks about
"visiting the page one wants to remove; going to the address bar;
clicking on an icon whth a star; clicking on Delete".

But there's no icon with a star spoken by NVDA.

Any suggestions, please?
Thanks, ciao,
Ollie



Removing bookmarks in Firefox with NVDA

Mallard
 

Hello all,

I'm trying to remove some bookmarks from Firefox.
I'm running Windows10, Firevox 50.0, NVDA latest Next snapshot.

I looked up the topic in Firefox support guide, but it talks about
"visiting the page one wants to remove; going to the address bar; clicking on an icon whth a star; clicking on Delete".

But there's no icon with a star spoken by NVDA.

Any suggestions, please?
Thanks, ciao,
Ollie


Re: third party rss readers

Salva <sadm@...>
 

Hi.
Menu bar, view or visualization, reading mode.
Salva

¡Atención! Usted está recibiendo un correo electrónico de una persona ciega. Por favor, si envía imágenes o gráficos, descríbalos al pie del mismo. ¡La inclusión la hacemos entre todos!



El 21 nov 2016, a las 10:10, Sukil Etxenike via Groups.Io <sukiletxe@...> escribió:

Hi,

Wow, I didn't know that mode existed in Firefox. How is it activated?

Sukil



El 21/11/2016 a las 9:57, Salva escribió:
Hi.
A mode of visualisation like the reader mode in iOS or Mac. It filters the advers and only show you the text. It only appears wen the text is laveled article.
Salva

¡Atención! Usted está recibiendo un correo electrónico de una persona ciega. Por favor, si envía imágenes o gráficos, descríbalos al pie del mismo. ¡La inclusión la hacemos entre todos!



El 21 nov 2016, a las 9:55, Sukil Etxenike via Groups.Io <sukiletxe@...> escribió:

I also use Firefox. What's the reading mode?

Sukil



El 21/11/2016 a las 9:12, Simone Dal Maso escribió:
I simply use Firefox with the bookmark live.
And when I want to read an article I activate the reading mode.

For the iphone instead I use lire rss.

Il 20/11/2016 13:47, Christopher Bartlett ha scritto:
Has anyone found a desktop rss reader that works well with NVDA?  I'm
currently using goread.io <http://goread.io>, which is a distinctly
dissatisfactory service.



--
Christopher Bartlett












Re: third party rss readers

Sukil Etxenike <sukiletxe@...>
 

Hi,

Wow, I didn't know that mode existed in Firefox. How is it activated?

Sukil



El 21/11/2016 a las 9:57, Salva escribió:
Hi.
A mode of visualisation like the reader mode in iOS or Mac. It filters the advers and only show you the text. It only appears wen the text is laveled article.
Salva

¡Atención! Usted está recibiendo un correo electrónico de una persona ciega. Por favor, si envía imágenes o gráficos, descríbalos al pie del mismo. ¡La inclusión la hacemos entre todos!



El 21 nov 2016, a las 9:55, Sukil Etxenike via Groups.Io <sukiletxe@...> escribió:

I also use Firefox. What's the reading mode?

Sukil



El 21/11/2016 a las 9:12, Simone Dal Maso escribió:
I simply use Firefox with the bookmark live.
And when I want to read an article I activate the reading mode.

For the iphone instead I use lire rss.

Il 20/11/2016 13:47, Christopher Bartlett ha scritto:
Has anyone found a desktop rss reader that works well with NVDA?  I'm
currently using goread.io <http://goread.io>, which is a distinctly
dissatisfactory service.



--
Christopher Bartlett











Re: third party rss readers

Salva <sadm@...>
 

Hi.
A mode of visualisation like the reader mode in iOS or Mac. It filters the advers and only show you the text. It only appears wen the text is laveled article.
Salva

¡Atención! Usted está recibiendo un correo electrónico de una persona ciega. Por favor, si envía imágenes o gráficos, descríbalos al pie del mismo. ¡La inclusión la hacemos entre todos!



El 21 nov 2016, a las 9:55, Sukil Etxenike via Groups.Io <sukiletxe@...> escribió:

I also use Firefox. What's the reading mode?

Sukil



El 21/11/2016 a las 9:12, Simone Dal Maso escribió:
I simply use Firefox with the bookmark live.
And when I want to read an article I activate the reading mode.

For the iphone instead I use lire rss.

Il 20/11/2016 13:47, Christopher Bartlett ha scritto:
Has anyone found a desktop rss reader that works well with NVDA?  I'm
currently using goread.io <http://goread.io>, which is a distinctly
dissatisfactory service.



--
Christopher Bartlett










Re: third party rss readers

Sukil Etxenike <sukiletxe@...>
 

I also use Firefox. What's the reading mode?

Sukil

El 21/11/2016 a las 9:12, Simone Dal Maso escribió:
I simply use Firefox with the bookmark live.
And when I want to read an article I activate the reading mode.

For the iphone instead I use lire rss.

Il 20/11/2016 13:47, Christopher Bartlett ha scritto:
Has anyone found a desktop rss reader that works well with NVDA? I'm
currently using goread.io <http://goread.io>, which is a distinctly
dissatisfactory service.



--
Christopher Bartlett


Re: third party rss readers

Simone Dal Maso
 

I simply use Firefox with the bookmark live.
And when I want to read an article I activate the reading mode.

For the iphone instead I use lire rss.

Il 20/11/2016 13:47, Christopher Bartlett ha scritto:
Has anyone found a desktop rss reader that works well with NVDA? I'm
currently using goread.io <http://goread.io>, which is a distinctly
dissatisfactory service.



--
Christopher Bartlett


Re: Anti Virus

slery <slerythema@...>
 

Very. It was recommended to me by another user on this list.

Cindy

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Andrea Sherry
Sent: Monday, November 21, 2016 1:58 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Anti Virus

How accessible is this package?

Andrea


On 21/11/2016 5:53 PM, slery wrote:
Home.sophos.com is free, it doesn't get any lower than that.

Cindy

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Shaun Everiss
Sent: Saturday, November 19, 2016 12:44 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Anti Virus

Well to be honest if I ever upgrade from msse, I will either take sophos for their home 10 pc cloud protection and lowish prices.
Or vipre for their expensive 50 dollar unlimited lifetime protection licence.
I am not sure what way I want to go to be honest.
Cloud is nice while online, a lot of less stress on my system.
Also if I have a false positive and exclude it, its probably going to sync with my cloud account so hmmm will it matter that much.
On the other hand, who knows.



On 20/11/2016 5:14 a.m., William Sallander wrote:
I am currently using Vipre Internet Security; there are at least
three different flavors for home users.

I find it to be quite accessible and as far as I saw from reviews, it
was better then Defender.

Yes it is true that Windows Defender is very accessible, but when it
comes to updates, you need to play with the task scheduler within Windows.

As far as protection, it's just enough to keep you out of trouble on
a temperary basis, but as it stands now, I wouldn't make it the daily
driver. There has been some slight improvements so stay tuned.



On 11/19/2016 11:00 AM, Roger Stewart wrote:
I've been using Windows Defender. Only caution I'd give is to do a
manual check for updates several times a day as their virus database
is updated several times a day but the program will only check
itself once when you start the computer. This is probably why it
seems to have a bad reputation. They need to fix this so it will
check by itself every couple of hours.

Roger










On 11/18/2016 10:53 PM, Andrea Sherry wrote:
Using Windows10 Pro on 64 bit machine.

Tried a number of these: AVG, Avast, Mcaffee and others.

I have had problems with all including installation, preferences,
accessing menus etc.

Is there such a beast which allows NVDA to access during
installation, preferences and response to virus alerts? I'm not
really interested in any freeware though I don't want to pay the earth.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Andrea




.






Re: Anti Virus

Andrea Sherry
 

How accessible is this package?

Andrea

On 21/11/2016 5:53 PM, slery wrote:
Home.sophos.com is free, it doesn't get any lower than that.

Cindy

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Shaun Everiss
Sent: Saturday, November 19, 2016 12:44 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Anti Virus

Well to be honest if I ever upgrade from msse, I will either take sophos for their home 10 pc cloud protection and lowish prices.
Or vipre for their expensive 50 dollar unlimited lifetime protection licence.
I am not sure what way I want to go to be honest.
Cloud is nice while online, a lot of less stress on my system.
Also if I have a false positive and exclude it, its probably going to sync with my cloud account so hmmm will it matter that much.
On the other hand, who knows.



On 20/11/2016 5:14 a.m., William Sallander wrote:
I am currently using Vipre Internet Security; there are at least three
different flavors for home users.

I find it to be quite accessible and as far as I saw from reviews, it
was better then Defender.

Yes it is true that Windows Defender is very accessible, but when it
comes to updates, you need to play with the task scheduler within Windows.

As far as protection, it's just enough to keep you out of trouble on
a temperary basis, but as it stands now, I wouldn't make it the daily
driver. There has been some slight improvements so stay tuned.



On 11/19/2016 11:00 AM, Roger Stewart wrote:
I've been using Windows Defender. Only caution I'd give is to do a
manual check for updates several times a day as their virus database
is updated several times a day but the program will only check itself
once when you start the computer. This is probably why it seems to
have a bad reputation. They need to fix this so it will check by
itself every couple of hours.

Roger










On 11/18/2016 10:53 PM, Andrea Sherry wrote:
Using Windows10 Pro on 64 bit machine.

Tried a number of these: AVG, Avast, Mcaffee and others.

I have had problems with all including installation, preferences,
accessing menus etc.

Is there such a beast which allows NVDA to access during
installation, preferences and response to virus alerts? I'm not
really interested in any freeware though I don't want to pay the earth.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Andrea




.





Re: Anti Virus

slery <slerythema@...>
 

Home.sophos.com is free, it doesn't get any lower than that.

Cindy

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Shaun Everiss
Sent: Saturday, November 19, 2016 12:44 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Anti Virus

Well to be honest if I ever upgrade from msse, I will either take sophos for their home 10 pc cloud protection and lowish prices.
Or vipre for their expensive 50 dollar unlimited lifetime protection licence.
I am not sure what way I want to go to be honest.
Cloud is nice while online, a lot of less stress on my system.
Also if I have a false positive and exclude it, its probably going to sync with my cloud account so hmmm will it matter that much.
On the other hand, who knows.



On 20/11/2016 5:14 a.m., William Sallander wrote:
I am currently using Vipre Internet Security; there are at least three
different flavors for home users.

I find it to be quite accessible and as far as I saw from reviews, it
was better then Defender.

Yes it is true that Windows Defender is very accessible, but when it
comes to updates, you need to play with the task scheduler within Windows.

As far as protection, it's just enough to keep you out of trouble on
a temperary basis, but as it stands now, I wouldn't make it the daily
driver. There has been some slight improvements so stay tuned.



On 11/19/2016 11:00 AM, Roger Stewart wrote:
I've been using Windows Defender. Only caution I'd give is to do a
manual check for updates several times a day as their virus database
is updated several times a day but the program will only check itself
once when you start the computer. This is probably why it seems to
have a bad reputation. They need to fix this so it will check by
itself every couple of hours.

Roger










On 11/18/2016 10:53 PM, Andrea Sherry wrote:
Using Windows10 Pro on 64 bit machine.

Tried a number of these: AVG, Avast, Mcaffee and others.

I have had problems with all including installation, preferences,
accessing menus etc.

Is there such a beast which allows NVDA to access during
installation, preferences and response to virus alerts? I'm not
really interested in any freeware though I don't want to pay the earth.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Andrea






.


Re: can't get a favorite oldies station to play in webbie

Arlene
 

That’s cause I put them there! Just kidding!

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: November-20-16 7:54 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] can't get a favorite oldies station to play in webbie

 

Did you check to see if popups are allowed? 

 

Gene

 

Sent: Sunday, November 20, 2016 9:18 PM

Subject: [nvda] can't get a favorite oldies station to play in webbie

 

Hi, everyone,


I just tried to tune in to this program called Treasure Island Oldies
using webbie browser but when I came to the play link, all I got was the
windows 10 system sound. What could be going wrong?


Thanks for your help in advance.


Rosemarie





Re: third party rss readers

Rob
 

Gene <gsasner@ripco.com> wrote:
It can't be done as far as I can tell. There is no setting governing this behavior.
I use Pop Peeper:
http://www.esumsoft.com/products/pop-peeper/
This is basically an email notifier, but it has an optional plus patch that allows for rss feeds.
Unfortunately the RSS addon is non free. But you can hide read areticles and delete them; the rss feed is treated like a normal email account.


Re: third party rss readers

Gene
 

It can't be done as far as I can tell.  There is no setting governing this behavior.  This is a serious problem.  The only way to make sure you haven't missed anything is to look at every entry every day.  There is no way to even reduce the problem, as far as I can tell.  I see no way to limit the entries displayed to today's date, which would go a long way toward solving the problem. 
 
Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, November 20, 2016 9:26 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] third party rss readers

In an ideal world for me, the feed would simply show me all new articles in chronological order, rather than my having to check each feed individually.  When last I tried the accessible rss client, I couldn't do this.


On Sun, Nov 20, 2016 at 8:43 PM, slery <slerythema@...> wrote:

Okay, I remember you gave information on this Webbie suite but I can’t find it at the moment. I have been looking for a good replacement for both (one to do both or one for each) text/article feeds and podcasts. My paid for Qfeed just crashed yesterday and I can’t get it back.

Also, I am currently using gpodder for my audio and video podcasts but it is not accessible with NVDA so I have to use it with vision.

 

My main concerns for rss aggregators is that I can hide individual episodes that have been read/played and only show new episodes/articles.

 

Cindy

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of David Griffith
Sent: Sunday, November 20, 2016 9:16 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] third party rss readers

 

Personally I am very happy with the RSS Reader Program provided free along with the other Webbie Accessible Suite of Programs.

 

There has been a recent slight tsimplification of the program to improve stability where I understand automatic Feed Refresh after the program has been loaded has been removed.

 

I do not personally find this a problem as all I do is cursor down my list of available feeds. I then hit control R which not only refreshes the feed rapidly but also open up the table of available articles in the feed automatically. then  I just  press enter on the Feed article and it will load in your browser.

Press escape in the article list and you will go back to the feed list.

Very simple but it works great.

 

I paid for the QFeed program from Accessible Apps but to be honest this Free program is far far more stable and fast at loading. RSS Reader has never crashed on me whilst this was a frequent problem with QFeed.  Also the support from Alasdair King is good whilst the support on problems with the paid for QFeed is non-existent.

 

 

David Griffith

 

20/11/2016 12:47, Christopher Bartlett wrote:

Has anyone found a desktop rss reader that works well with NVDA?  I'm currently using goread.io, which is a distinctly dissatisfactory service.



--

Christopher Bartlett

 




--
Christopher Bartlett


Re: can't get a favorite oldies station to play in webbie

Rosemarie Chavarria
 

I didn't think of that. Thanks for the suggestion.




On 11/20/2016 7:54 PM, Gene wrote:
Did you check to see if popups are allowed? 
 
Gene

Sent: Sunday, November 20, 2016 9:18 PM
Subject: [nvda] can't get a favorite oldies station to play in webbie

Hi, everyone,


I just tried to tune in to this program called Treasure Island Oldies
using webbie browser but when I came to the play link, all I got was the
windows 10 system sound. What could be going wrong?


Thanks for your help in advance.


Rosemarie







Re: can't get a favorite oldies station to play in webbie

Gene
 

Did you check to see if popups are allowed? 
 
Gene

Sent: Sunday, November 20, 2016 9:18 PM
Subject: [nvda] can't get a favorite oldies station to play in webbie

Hi, everyone,


I just tried to tune in to this program called Treasure Island Oldies
using webbie browser but when I came to the play link, all I got was the
windows 10 system sound. What could be going wrong?


Thanks for your help in advance.


Rosemarie






Re: third party rss readers

Christopher Bartlett
 

In an ideal world for me, the feed would simply show me all new articles in chronological order, rather than my having to check each feed individually.  When last I tried the accessible rss client, I couldn't do this.


On Sun, Nov 20, 2016 at 8:43 PM, slery <slerythema@...> wrote:

Okay, I remember you gave information on this Webbie suite but I can’t find it at the moment. I have been looking for a good replacement for both (one to do both or one for each) text/article feeds and podcasts. My paid for Qfeed just crashed yesterday and I can’t get it back.

Also, I am currently using gpodder for my audio and video podcasts but it is not accessible with NVDA so I have to use it with vision.

 

My main concerns for rss aggregators is that I can hide individual episodes that have been read/played and only show new episodes/articles.

 

Cindy

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of David Griffith
Sent: Sunday, November 20, 2016 9:16 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] third party rss readers

 

Personally I am very happy with the RSS Reader Program provided free along with the other Webbie Accessible Suite of Programs.

 

There has been a recent slight tsimplification of the program to improve stability where I understand automatic Feed Refresh after the program has been loaded has been removed.

 

I do not personally find this a problem as all I do is cursor down my list of available feeds. I then hit control R which not only refreshes the feed rapidly but also open up the table of available articles in the feed automatically. then  I just  press enter on the Feed article and it will load in your browser.

Press escape in the article list and you will go back to the feed list.

Very simple but it works great.

 

I paid for the QFeed program from Accessible Apps but to be honest this Free program is far far more stable and fast at loading. RSS Reader has never crashed on me whilst this was a frequent problem with QFeed.  Also the support from Alasdair King is good whilst the support on problems with the paid for QFeed is non-existent.

 

 

David Griffith

 

20/11/2016 12:47, Christopher Bartlett wrote:

Has anyone found a desktop rss reader that works well with NVDA?  I'm currently using goread.io, which is a distinctly dissatisfactory service.



--

Christopher Bartlett

 




--
Christopher Bartlett


can't get a favorite oldies station to play in webbie

Rosemarie Chavarria
 

Hi, everyone,


I just tried to tune in to this program called Treasure Island Oldies using webbie browser but when I came to the play link, all I got was the windows 10 system sound. What could be going wrong?


Thanks for your help in advance.


Rosemarie


Re: third party rss readers

slery <slerythema@...>
 

Okay, I remember you gave information on this Webbie suite but I can’t find it at the moment. I have been looking for a good replacement for both (one to do both or one for each) text/article feeds and podcasts. My paid for Qfeed just crashed yesterday and I can’t get it back.

Also, I am currently using gpodder for my audio and video podcasts but it is not accessible with NVDA so I have to use it with vision.

 

My main concerns for rss aggregators is that I can hide individual episodes that have been read/played and only show new episodes/articles.

 

Cindy

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of David Griffith
Sent: Sunday, November 20, 2016 9:16 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] third party rss readers

 

Personally I am very happy with the RSS Reader Program provided free along with the other Webbie Accessible Suite of Programs.

 

There has been a recent slight tsimplification of the program to improve stability where I understand automatic Feed Refresh after the program has been loaded has been removed.

 

I do not personally find this a problem as all I do is cursor down my list of available feeds. I then hit control R which not only refreshes the feed rapidly but also open up the table of available articles in the feed automatically. then  I just  press enter on the Feed article and it will load in your browser.

Press escape in the article list and you will go back to the feed list.

Very simple but it works great.

 

I paid for the QFeed program from Accessible Apps but to be honest this Free program is far far more stable and fast at loading. RSS Reader has never crashed on me whilst this was a frequent problem with QFeed.  Also the support from Alasdair King is good whilst the support on problems with the paid for QFeed is non-existent.

 

 

David Griffith

 

20/11/2016 12:47, Christopher Bartlett wrote:

Has anyone found a desktop rss reader that works well with NVDA?  I'm currently using goread.io, which is a distinctly dissatisfactory service.



--

Christopher Bartlett

 


Re: sea cleaner / just using to wipe drives

 

On Sun, Nov 20, 2016 at 01:50 pm, Gene wrote:
Please stop changing subject lines unless the subject of the thread changes.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!   I have tried to tell people not to do this because each time they do the thread changes for everyone, not just e-mail users, and it makes it far more difficult in the future to search based on a thread title you might remember when the topic has been centered on X, but with a wide range around X.

Once a thread is started, so long as what is being offered is a continuation of the original query, the subject should not be changed.
--
Brian

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.

    ~ Lauren Bacall

    



Re: Anti Virus

 

On Sun, Nov 20, 2016 at 01:55 pm, Gene wrote:
If you have an adequate firewall, you can remain connected to the Internet indefinitely.

 Absolutely.  At this point in time I advise my clients to not turn their computers off at all unless they start getting behaviors (and you can get this on any machine and not from an infection) where your personal experience suggests a power cycling will likely cure it.

With the advent of Windows 10 and "Windows as a service" coupled with the use of the Active Hours setting for Windows Update many, if not most, people will be downloading updates, if not having them actually installed, during their own hours of slumber.

I can find no reason whatsoever to fear being perpetually connected to the internet if you've got Windows Firewall (or one that's part of a third-party security suite or dedicated firewall) active and a virus/malware scanner with realtime scanning running, both of which are "must have" not optional, if a machine has direct or indirect interaction with the internet.
--
Brian

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.

    ~ Lauren Bacall