Date   

Re: Can I still get it for free

Mallard <mallard@...>
 

Ok guys,


I ahve my own personal views on Operating Systems, but they're not requested here.

What was asked for, is the possibility to still upgrade for free.


Therefore, here's a quotation from an older message:


Quote


The link to the Windows 10 accessibility upgrade process is below - you may have to paste it into your browser.
The page which the link opens has an "Upgrade now" button near the bottom.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/accessibility/windows10upgrade


End of quote


By clicking on this link, you should be able to upgrade for free, as an assistive technologies user.


hth,

Ciao,

Ollie

Il 08/03/2017 16:40, Brian Vogel ha scritto:
On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 07:04 am, erik burggraaf wrote:

Staying with windows seven just because is fine for now if that's
your personal choice, but if you're supporting or recommending on
a pro or semipro basis, the recommendation has to be to upgrade at
this point unless circumstances dictate otherwise.

I'd go even further and say that if you are a user who plans on staying in the Windows ecosystem for the foreseeable future you should upgrade.

Operating systems have finite support lives and there are those who will cling to a give OS long past its end of support, but this is never a good idea in the long run.

Change is absolutely inevitable when it comes to computing hardware, OSes, and software. While there are legitimate reasons (including financial) not to upgrade things some are more important to keep current than others, and an OS is at the very top of that list. When the upgrade is free and it's known that the software you're using works on that OS upgrade the case is even stronger (though if some doesn't, that's a factor, too).

I have repeatedly said, because I have found it to be true again and again, that there is also an advantage of being a part of a large cohort that's "going through the same growing pains at the same time" because lots of the same esoteric questions get asked and the answers are more easily forthcoming. That's not so true when you decide to upgrade 5 years later and a lot of that esoterica gets lost in the mists of time for the vast majority of other users. I'm already experiencing that "lost in the mists" effect on aspects of Windows 10 that I could quote "chapter and verse" when I was dealing with certain issues early in its life after initial release but that no one's asked about for a long time now.
--
*/Brian/*

/I don't find an uninformed hatred a "principled position" //that I need to respect in any way./

~ */Ellen Evans/*/, /soc.motss/, /11/6/2004



Re: Can I still get it for free

David F.
 

This is why I wish I had the brains to learn Linux

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of erik burggraaf
Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2017 9:04 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Can I still get it for free

 

Gene,  Here is my reasonable take on this based on my more than 15 years of in depth experience not only of windows, but also other major operating systems.

First, windows is a terrible product in any itteration.  There isn't a single thing windows does better than other operating systems except for arketecture support.  It's the most expensive operating system to implement if you remove hardware from the equation.  Windows supports cheeper hardware than the competition but that doesn't negate the fact that windows itself is the highest priced operating system on the market.  Windows is also more expensive to maintain.  In fact, an upgrade from windows seven to windows 10 takes about two hours time.  If you have to fully patch windows seven sp1 it takes between 3 and 6 hours depending on connection speed.  If you're paying by the hour, which would you choose?

Windows is the least secure of all the major OS, further compounding the astronomical maintanence cost and driving down productivity.  I have not yet had to hack windows 10, but I have windows seven.  In windows seven it is common place for programs to allow themselves transparently through built in firewalling.  It is also common place for programs to run as administrator without requiring the administrator account to be enabled or requiring an administrator password.  It is possible for programs to sircomvent the notification system that works on the front line, and it's even possible and considered advisable by many people to turn the security notifications off altogether.  In fact, it is possible when sitting at the keyboard of a windows seven workstation to gain administrator access without logging in at all, to add, remove, or rename windows system files, to take command line control of a workstation, and to perform any command line function including enabling or disabling the administrator account and changing account credentials, all without logging in.  Litterally any improvement would be better than the attrocity that is windows seven security.

Microsoft interface design is terrible.  Ribbons and tiles are only two examples of design choices meant to set windows apart from competetors but had the effect of alienating users.  Windows 10 does the smart thing and returns the windows interface to a more desktop feel. 

Windows only gets a refresh every three years or so.  That means a lot happens in the computer world between releases.  Because the releases are alternately pretty decent over all come terrible to the point of uselessness, windows appeals to pundets who don't like change and want to hault progress.  Fine, but windows seven is coming up on 8 years old and we are still talking about support for windows xp being discontinued.  Nowhere else in the world of operating systems are we talking about support for 8 year old software, and 17 year old software isn't even available for download on pirate sites.  Computers that shipped with windows 7 at the time of the release of windows 8 are now end of lifed, and yet, I was still able to buy and install a windows seven a month ago.  The cost to developers of supporting four operating systems spanning 11 years: ten, eight, seven and vista, is astronomical, and you lucky end-user, get to pay the bill.  The cost of windows software over all is significantly higher than on any other operating system, and part of the reason is that windows users live in the past more than any other userbase.

Windows ten continues to be a free upgrade for current users of seven and eight, long after it was supposed to switch to a completely paid product.  The minimum and recommended hardware configurations are similar to those of windows seven.  Upgrading usually brings better plug and play hardware support and other items under the hood that users would miss if they were gone.

There are features I like in windows ten such as it's minimalist email app and it's improved tts voices.  Then there are things I'm not too pleased with such as the loss of control over windows update and the increased relience on ribbons.  True, we don't really have enough information about this particular case to make a recommendation one way or the other, but in general, it is more than time to leave windows seven behind unlesss you have some substantial reason not to, such as loss of support for a crutial piece of hardware.

All upgrades on all systems require a bit of retraining for new features or fernature that moves, but that is part and parcel of computing.  Windows ten is market tested, reliable and functional at this point.  Staying with windows seven just because is fine for now if that's your personal choice, but if you're supporting or recommending on a pro or semipro basis, the recommendation has to be to upgrade at this point unless circomstances dictate otherwise.

Best,

Erik

Sent with AquaMail for Android
http://www.aqua-mail.com

On March 8, 2017 8:39:42 AM "Gene" <gsasner@...> wrote:

You have made a statement and not given any reasons supporting it.  That doesn't tell us anything except that you believe something.  People may have reasons to upgrade from Windows 7 and Microsoft has recently claimed that for security reasons, you should upgrade because Windows 7 is not secure enough anymore because it isn't a new enough operating system to incorporate newer security features.  I haven't seen any independent discussion concerning this.  But there are always problems that may occur when updating and in this case, the point was stated that this is an old computer.  You don't just upgrade.  While many upgrades from Windows 7 go well, you can't assume they will.  I don't think it’s a good idea to urge upgrading as a general practice.  Why is an upgrade being considered?  What features, if any, will be used or are desired by upgrading?  Has the computer been tested for compatibility of the upgrade?

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2017 7:21 AM

Subject: Re: [nvda] Can I still get it for free

 

that is an extremely bad suggesstion. If you don't have a very good reason to not update, it is generally a good idea to update.

 

On 3/8/2017 4:04 PM, Gene wrote:

Is there a specific reason you want to use Windows 10?  You can upgrade for free but I don't know the procedure.  others, I expect, will advise you.  You say it's an old laptop.  There is a Microsoft site you can use to have your computer evaluated to see if it is able to be upgraded.  But unless there is a specific feature you want, I would advise leaving well enough alone. 

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

From: Sakina

Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2017 6:53 AM

Subject: [nvda] Can I still get it for free

 

Hello gene and Friends,

 

I have got this passed down old laptop from a friend that has got window 7

Please forgive me for my terminology below

I wish to update or is called upgrade to window 10

Is it possible and can I still get the window 10 for free?

If yes, than please how do I go about.

I will be and always am grateful for your help and guidance.

Thanking you all again.

With best wishes

Sakina

 

Virus-free. www.avast.com

 


Re: Kindle instructions in NVDA help

Mallard <mallard@...>
 

Hello Jacob,


I suppose it depends on the format of the book. Amazon is changing its format and, if that's abook still in the old format, not all the features for reading/navigating it with NVDA will be available.


I can't be more precise, simply because I don't know which books are readable, and which are not. I ahve loads of Kindle ebooks, and only a few of them are readable, even with braille, in NVDA. Not even the latest ones... So, what makes the difference I can't really tell exactly.


Not very helpful, I realise, but that's my experience...

Ciao,

Ollie

Il 08/03/2017 15:35, Jacob Kruger ha scritto:
While have only ever purchased 3 kindle books - only books that couldn't find electronic formats for anywhere else, I did just get hold of a new one, and, installed kindle for PC 1.19.460 just to try it out under windows 10 64 bit, although have already downloaded it to my android phone, where it seems pretty readable along with using talkback.


The only reason looked for this book was when I realised that this version of kindle for PC should be relatively accessible along with NVDA 2017.1, but, I presume this specific book doesn't offer/allow enhanced typesetting, which requirement is sort of mentioned in NVDA help with regards to using browse mode to read a kindle eBook.


That's since while am in what I think is the reading area - announced as border - NVDA reading/navigation commands don't do anything, but, something that might be good to mention in NVDA's help on the kindle topic is that the general kindle navigation commands, like page up, page down, arrow left and right still seem to carry out functionality, and, I know this since pressing space bar while in that piece of the interface does in fact toggle SAPI voice reading of the book, using the default SAPI voice for windows 10.


In other words, while can't use NVDA's browse mode to read this book on my PC, it seems like it's still perfectly possible to just read the book, since NVDA does otherwise handle the interface pretty well.


So, just thought would mention this here.


Stay well


Jacob Kruger

Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA
"Resistance is futile, but, acceptance is versatile..."




Re: Can I still get it for free

Jacques <lists4js@...>
 

Erik, you make valid points, none of which I have any problem with. Keep in mind though that the person who originally posted this question said that its an old laptop, which should be considered when deciding on a final verdict. One of my older machines here is a laptop dating back to 2009. Although quite a nice machine, it slowed down to a crawl after updating it to Win10, despite my best efforts to find the most appropriate drivers. I guess it was one of those boarder line situations, where the MS hardware validator gave it the green light, but for a power user it turned out to be shere frustration trying to use the machine after the upgrade. So yes, if the hardware leans itself towards 10, go for it, if it doesnt, stick to 7 for now and start saving for a new system, as to take advantage of the benefits of Windows 10.

 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of erik burggraaf
Sent: Wednesday, 08 March 2017 17:04
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Can I still get it for free

 

Gene,  Here is my reasonable take on this based on my more than 15 years of in depth experience not only of windows, but also other major operating systems.

First, windows is a terrible product in any itteration.  There isn't a single thing windows does better than other operating systems except for arketecture support.  It's the most expensive operating system to implement if you remove hardware from the equation.  Windows supports cheeper hardware than the competition but that doesn't negate the fact that windows itself is the highest priced operating system on the market.  Windows is also more expensive to maintain.  In fact, an upgrade from windows seven to windows 10 takes about two hours time.  If you have to fully patch windows seven sp1 it takes between 3 and 6 hours depending on connection speed.  If you're paying by the hour, which would you choose?

Windows is the least secure of all the major OS, further compounding the astronomical maintanence cost and driving down productivity.  I have not yet had to hack windows 10, but I have windows seven.  In windows seven it is common place for programs to allow themselves transparently through built in firewalling.  It is also common place for programs to run as administrator without requiring the administrator account to be enabled or requiring an administrator password.  It is possible for programs to sircomvent the notification system that works on the front line, and it's even possible and considered advisable by many people to turn the security notifications off altogether.  In fact, it is possible when sitting at the keyboard of a windows seven workstation to gain administrator access without logging in at all, to add, remove, or rename windows system files, to take command line control of a workstation, and to perform any command line function including enabling or disabling the administrator account and changing account credentials, all without logging in.  Litterally any improvement would be better than the attrocity that is windows seven security.

Microsoft interface design is terrible.  Ribbons and tiles are only two examples of design choices meant to set windows apart from competetors but had the effect of alienating users.  Windows 10 does the smart thing and returns the windows interface to a more desktop feel. 

Windows only gets a refresh every three years or so.  That means a lot happens in the computer world between releases.  Because the releases are alternately pretty decent over all come terrible to the point of uselessness, windows appeals to pundets who don't like change and want to hault progress.  Fine, but windows seven is coming up on 8 years old and we are still talking about support for windows xp being discontinued.  Nowhere else in the world of operating systems are we talking about support for 8 year old software, and 17 year old software isn't even available for download on pirate sites.  Computers that shipped with windows 7 at the time of the release of windows 8 are now end of lifed, and yet, I was still able to buy and install a windows seven a month ago.  The cost to developers of supporting four operating systems spanning 11 years: ten, eight, seven and vista, is astronomical, and you lucky end-user, get to pay the bill.  The cost of windows software over all is significantly higher than on any other operating system, and part of the reason is that windows users live in the past more than any other userbase.

Windows ten continues to be a free upgrade for current users of seven and eight, long after it was supposed to switch to a completely paid product.  The minimum and recommended hardware configurations are similar to those of windows seven.  Upgrading usually brings better plug and play hardware support and other items under the hood that users would miss if they were gone.

There are features I like in windows ten such as it's minimalist email app and it's improved tts voices.  Then there are things I'm not too pleased with such as the loss of control over windows update and the increased relience on ribbons.  True, we don't really have enough information about this particular case to make a recommendation one way or the other, but in general, it is more than time to leave windows seven behind unlesss you have some substantial reason not to, such as loss of support for a crutial piece of hardware.

All upgrades on all systems require a bit of retraining for new features or fernature that moves, but that is part and parcel of computing.  Windows ten is market tested, reliable and functional at this point.  Staying with windows seven just because is fine for now if that's your personal choice, but if you're supporting or recommending on a pro or semipro basis, the recommendation has to be to upgrade at this point unless circomstances dictate otherwise.

Best,

Erik

Sent with AquaMail for Android
http://www.aqua-mail.com

On March 8, 2017 8:39:42 AM "Gene" <gsasner@...> wrote:

You have made a statement and not given any reasons supporting it.  That doesn't tell us anything except that you believe something.  People may have reasons to upgrade from Windows 7 and Microsoft has recently claimed that for security reasons, you should upgrade because Windows 7 is not secure enough anymore because it isn't a new enough operating system to incorporate newer security features.  I haven't seen any independent discussion concerning this.  But there are always problems that may occur when updating and in this case, the point was stated that this is an old computer.  You don't just upgrade.  While many upgrades from Windows 7 go well, you can't assume they will.  I don't think it’s a good idea to urge upgrading as a general practice.  Why is an upgrade being considered?  What features, if any, will be used or are desired by upgrading?  Has the computer been tested for compatibility of the upgrade?

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2017 7:21 AM

Subject: Re: [nvda] Can I still get it for free

 

that is an extremely bad suggesstion. If you don't have a very good reason to not update, it is generally a good idea to update.

 

On 3/8/2017 4:04 PM, Gene wrote:

Is there a specific reason you want to use Windows 10?  You can upgrade for free but I don't know the procedure.  others, I expect, will advise you.  You say it's an old laptop.  There is a Microsoft site you can use to have your computer evaluated to see if it is able to be upgraded.  But unless there is a specific feature you want, I would advise leaving well enough alone. 

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

From: Sakina

Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2017 6:53 AM

Subject: [nvda] Can I still get it for free

 

Hello gene and Friends,

 

I have got this passed down old laptop from a friend that has got window 7

Please forgive me for my terminology below

I wish to update or is called upgrade to window 10

Is it possible and can I still get the window 10 for free?

If yes, than please how do I go about.

I will be and always am grateful for your help and guidance.

Thanking you all again.

With best wishes

Sakina

 

Virus-free. www.avast.com

 


Re: Can I still get it for free

 

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 07:04 am, erik burggraaf wrote:
Staying with windows seven just because is fine for now if that's your personal choice, but if you're supporting or recommending on a pro or semipro basis, the recommendation has to be to upgrade at this point unless circumstances dictate otherwise.

I'd go even further and say that if you are a user who plans on staying in the Windows ecosystem for the foreseeable future you should upgrade.

Operating systems have finite support lives and there are those who will cling to a give OS long past its end of support, but this is never a good idea in the long run.

Change is absolutely inevitable when it comes to computing hardware, OSes, and software.  While there are legitimate reasons (including financial) not to upgrade things some are more important to keep current than others, and an OS is at the very top of that list.  When the upgrade is free and it's known that the software you're using works on that OS upgrade the case is even stronger (though if some doesn't, that's a factor, too).

I have repeatedly said, because I have found it to be true again and again, that there is also an advantage of being a part of a large cohort that's "going through the same growing pains at the same time" because lots of the same esoteric questions get asked and the answers are more easily forthcoming.  That's not so true when you decide to upgrade 5 years later and a lot of that esoterica gets lost in the mists of time for the vast majority of other users.   I'm already experiencing that "lost in the mists" effect on aspects of Windows 10 that I could quote "chapter and verse" when I was dealing with certain issues early in its life after initial release but that no one's asked about for a long time now.
--
Brian

    I don't find an uninformed hatred a "principled position" that I need to respect in any way.

        ~ Ellen Evans, soc.motss, 11/6/2004



Re: Kindle instructions in NVDA help

Christopher-Mark Gilland <clgilland07@...>
 

you have gotten way further than I have.

I cannot even get the registration dialogue to read, to sign into my Amazon account. yes. I made absolutely certain that I had the version with the accessibility plugged in. once the registration screen comes up, I'm placed on a combo box that says the fall, although it is not labeled. so I am not sure what I am picking as the default. If I press the tab key, absolutely nothing at all happens. NVDA says absolutely nothing at all. Same goes if I shift tab.

I had a friend try, and they had the same exact problem. This is also occurring with jaws. so I'm completely clueless as to what is going on.
how is one supposed to navigate that dialogue, and get signed into your Amazon account?

Chris.


Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 8, 2017, at 09:35, Jacob Kruger <jacob@blindza.co.za> wrote:

While have only ever purchased 3 kindle books - only books that couldn't find electronic formats for anywhere else, I did just get hold of a new one, and, installed kindle for PC 1.19.460 just to try it out under windows 10 64 bit, although have already downloaded it to my android phone, where it seems pretty readable along with using talkback.


The only reason looked for this book was when I realised that this version of kindle for PC should be relatively accessible along with NVDA 2017.1, but, I presume this specific book doesn't offer/allow enhanced typesetting, which requirement is sort of mentioned in NVDA help with regards to using browse mode to read a kindle eBook.


That's since while am in what I think is the reading area - announced as border - NVDA reading/navigation commands don't do anything, but, something that might be good to mention in NVDA's help on the kindle topic is that the general kindle navigation commands, like page up, page down, arrow left and right still seem to carry out functionality, and, I know this since pressing space bar while in that piece of the interface does in fact toggle SAPI voice reading of the book, using the default SAPI voice for windows 10.


In other words, while can't use NVDA's browse mode to read this book on my PC, it seems like it's still perfectly possible to just read the book, since NVDA does otherwise handle the interface pretty well.


So, just thought would mention this here.


Stay well


Jacob Kruger

Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA
"Resistance is futile, but, acceptance is versatile..."




Re: Can I still get it for free

erik burggraaf <erik@...>
 

Gene,  Here is my reasonable take on this based on my more than 15 years of in depth experience not only of windows, but also other major operating systems.

First, windows is a terrible product in any itteration.  There isn't a single thing windows does better than other operating systems except for arketecture support.  It's the most expensive operating system to implement if you remove hardware from the equation.  Windows supports cheeper hardware than the competition but that doesn't negate the fact that windows itself is the highest priced operating system on the market.  Windows is also more expensive to maintain.  In fact, an upgrade from windows seven to windows 10 takes about two hours time.  If you have to fully patch windows seven sp1 it takes between 3 and 6 hours depending on connection speed.  If you're paying by the hour, which would you choose?

Windows is the least secure of all the major OS, further compounding the astronomical maintanence cost and driving down productivity.  I have not yet had to hack windows 10, but I have windows seven.  In windows seven it is common place for programs to allow themselves transparently through built in firewalling.  It is also common place for programs to run as administrator without requiring the administrator account to be enabled or requiring an administrator password.  It is possible for programs to sircomvent the notification system that works on the front line, and it's even possible and considered advisable by many people to turn the security notifications off altogether.  In fact, it is possible when sitting at the keyboard of a windows seven workstation to gain administrator access without logging in at all, to add, remove, or rename windows system files, to take command line control of a workstation, and to perform any command line function including enabling or disabling the administrator account and changing account credentials, all without logging in.  Litterally any improvement would be better than the attrocity that is windows seven security.

Microsoft interface design is terrible.  Ribbons and tiles are only two examples of design choices meant to set windows apart from competetors but had the effect of alienating users.  Windows 10 does the smart thing and returns the windows interface to a more desktop feel. 

Windows only gets a refresh every three years or so.  That means a lot happens in the computer world between releases.  Because the releases are alternately pretty decent over all come terrible to the point of uselessness, windows appeals to pundets who don't like change and want to hault progress.  Fine, but windows seven is coming up on 8 years old and we are still talking about support for windows xp being discontinued.  Nowhere else in the world of operating systems are we talking about support for 8 year old software, and 17 year old software isn't even available for download on pirate sites.  Computers that shipped with windows 7 at the time of the release of windows 8 are now end of lifed, and yet, I was still able to buy and install a windows seven a month ago.  The cost to developers of supporting four operating systems spanning 11 years: ten, eight, seven and vista, is astronomical, and you lucky end-user, get to pay the bill.  The cost of windows software over all is significantly higher than on any other operating system, and part of the reason is that windows users live in the past more than any other userbase.

Windows ten continues to be a free upgrade for current users of seven and eight, long after it was supposed to switch to a completely paid product.  The minimum and recommended hardware configurations are similar to those of windows seven.  Upgrading usually brings better plug and play hardware support and other items under the hood that users would miss if they were gone.

There are features I like in windows ten such as it's minimalist email app and it's improved tts voices.  Then there are things I'm not too pleased with such as the loss of control over windows update and the increased relience on ribbons.  True, we don't really have enough information about this particular case to make a recommendation one way or the other, but in general, it is more than time to leave windows seven behind unlesss you have some substantial reason not to, such as loss of support for a crutial piece of hardware.

All upgrades on all systems require a bit of retraining for new features or fernature that moves, but that is part and parcel of computing.  Windows ten is market tested, reliable and functional at this point.  Staying with windows seven just because is fine for now if that's your personal choice, but if you're supporting or recommending on a pro or semipro basis, the recommendation has to be to upgrade at this point unless circomstances dictate otherwise.

Best,

Erik

Sent with AquaMail for Android
http://www.aqua-mail.com

On March 8, 2017 8:39:42 AM "Gene" <gsasner@...> wrote:

You have made a statement and not given any reasons supporting it.  That doesn't tell us anything except that you believe something.  People may have reasons to upgrade from Windows 7 and Microsoft has recently claimed that for security reasons, you should upgrade because Windows 7 is not secure enough anymore because it isn't a new enough operating system to incorporate newer security features.  I haven't seen any independent discussion concerning this.  But there are always problems that may occur when updating and in this case, the point was stated that this is an old computer.  You don't just upgrade.  While many upgrades from Windows 7 go well, you can't assume they will.  I don't think it’s a good idea to urge upgrading as a general practice.  Why is an upgrade being considered?  What features, if any, will be used or are desired by upgrading?  Has the computer been tested for compatibility of the upgrade?
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2017 7:21 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Can I still get it for free

that is an extremely bad suggesstion. If you don't have a very good reason to not update, it is generally a good idea to update.


On 3/8/2017 4:04 PM, Gene wrote:
Is there a specific reason you want to use Windows 10?  You can upgrade for free but I don't know the procedure.  others, I expect, will advise you.  You say it's an old laptop.  There is a Microsoft site you can use to have your computer evaluated to see if it is able to be upgraded.  But unless there is a specific feature you want, I would advise leaving well enough alone. 
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
From: Sakina
Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2017 6:53 AM
Subject: [nvda] Can I still get it for free

Hello gene and Friends,

 

I have got this passed down old laptop from a friend that has got window 7

Please forgive me for my terminology below

I wish to update or is called upgrade to window 10

Is it possible and can I still get the window 10 for free?

If yes, than please how do I go about.

I will be and always am grateful for your help and guidance.

Thanking you all again.

With best wishes

Sakina


Virus-free. www.avast.com


Kindle instructions in NVDA help

Jacob Kruger
 

While have only ever purchased 3 kindle books - only books that couldn't find electronic formats for anywhere else, I did just get hold of a new one, and, installed kindle for PC 1.19.460 just to try it out under windows 10 64 bit, although have already downloaded it to my android phone, where it seems pretty readable along with using talkback.


The only reason looked for this book was when I realised that this version of kindle for PC should be relatively accessible along with NVDA 2017.1, but, I presume this specific book doesn't offer/allow enhanced typesetting, which requirement is sort of mentioned in NVDA help with regards to using browse mode to read a kindle eBook.


That's since while am in what I think is the reading area - announced as border - NVDA reading/navigation commands don't do anything, but, something that might be good to mention in NVDA's help on the kindle topic is that the general kindle navigation commands, like page up, page down, arrow left and right still seem to carry out functionality, and, I know this since pressing space bar while in that piece of the interface does in fact toggle SAPI voice reading of the book, using the default SAPI voice for windows 10.


In other words, while can't use NVDA's browse mode to read this book on my PC, it seems like it's still perfectly possible to just read the book, since NVDA does otherwise handle the interface pretty well.


So, just thought would mention this here.


Stay well


Jacob Kruger

Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA
"Resistance is futile, but, acceptance is versatile..."


Re: New User Intro and a Couple Questions

David F.
 

Hello, Gene:

Thanks for the response.

 

Yes, I take your point. Either hear enter and all those arrow commands, or learn to not hear enter.

 

To answer your questions, I was using Malware Bits. 

 

My problems began in November. I had nearly filled my computer’s hard drive and everything started acting up.  So, I arranged to have an external drive in place. I moved over 400 gig of books to it.  I thought that would solve the problem of the stuttering, jerking, and long delays in commands executing.  But it did not.

 

I then had everything reinstalled on my computer. Quite a tedious process.  That did help for 2 months then everything started acting up again.

 

To answer your other questions below:

Are you in the message list and are you down arrowing?

Yes, I am down arrowing.  I can tell if a message has been read or not read, but I cannot tell if I have replied or forwarded. The last message, which as I have my software set, is the most recent message, repeats and repeats. So if someone has sent me several messages with the same subject line, I can wonder exactly how many messages I am reading.  

 

What program are you using spell check in?

MS-Outlook. I cannot edit my words either.  Using the arrow keys just says carriage return. Usually, the suggested correction is the right one, but for things such as, ofa, for of a, the suggestion of “of” and no “a” is not correct.

 

What e-mail program are you using?  When you hear the subject repeated, what are you doing?  Are you down arrowing through the message lis or something else?

Ms-Outlook. I think I answered above. But let me know if I am not clear.

Thanks again.  

G

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2017 6:47 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] New User Intro and a Couple Questions

 

If the other screen-reader used to work properly and doesn't now, that should be discussed more.  I'm not discouraging you from using NVDA, I'm saying that you may be covering up a problem such as malware and not solving it.  Whatever screen-reader you use, there may be an underlying problem that should be looked into.  Is the stuttering problem a recent one and did the screen-reader work properly before?  What antimalware programs are you using.  Is there any other sign of problems such as slower performance? 

 

As for the enter question, the only way to hear enter spoken is to use a setting that not only announces enter, but announces other keys every time they are pressed such as left and right arrow.  I'm confident you will get used to not hearing enter spoken but I'm also confident that you don't want to hear left arrow, right arrow and up and down arrow every time you use them as well as other key combinations you will hear.  If you want to play with the command to toggle this feature on and off, it's NVDA key 4 on the main keyboard.  If you are using the desktop keyboard layout, the NVDA key is either insert. 

 

Are you in the message list and are you down arrowing?

 

What program are you using spell check in?

 

What e-mail program are you using?  When you hear the subject repeated, what are you doing?  Are you down arrowing through the message lis or something else?

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

From: David F.

Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2017 5:08 AM

Subject: [nvda] New User Intro and a Couple Questions

 

Hello Group Members:

 

I am attempting to use NVDA because of trouble I am having with a different screen reader.  My computer kept stuttering and stopping with several versions of said screen reader. 

 

I can do most things relatively easily with NVDA and like the newer voices.

 

I would like to know if anyone might help me with the following situations I have noticed:

 

1.  How do I make my enter key say enter each time I hit it?  It does not, and I find this disconcerting. 

 

2.  In spellcheck, how can I read the current line so as to best determine the proper correction?  In other  words, I need to hear the context or sentence so as to make the best word choice.  I used to have a way to do this in my other screen reader.

 

3.  When I come to my last email, it repeats this email over and over again. I mean to say, how can I make the voice not read the second time I am at the last email subject?  If it reads and rereads the subject, I think I have several emails, not one. And lastly,

 

4.  Speaking of emails, how can I figure out, as I used to do, how many emails I have in any of my several folders?

 

Thank you for any assistance as I continue my exploration of this interesting alternative.  Really, with a voice I am using, it sounds very good, just a little snap, crackle, and pop.

 

 


Re: Can I still get it for free

Gene
 

You have made a statement and not given any reasons supporting it.  That doesn't tell us anything except that you believe something.  People may have reasons to upgrade from Windows 7 and Microsoft has recently claimed that for security reasons, you should upgrade because Windows 7 is not secure enough anymore because it isn't a new enough operating system to incorporate newer security features.  I haven't seen any independent discussion concerning this.  But there are always problems that may occur when updating and in this case, the point was stated that this is an old computer.  You don't just upgrade.  While many upgrades from Windows 7 go well, you can't assume they will.  I don't think it’s a good idea to urge upgrading as a general practice.  Why is an upgrade being considered?  What features, if any, will be used or are desired by upgrading?  Has the computer been tested for compatibility of the upgrade?
 
Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2017 7:21 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Can I still get it for free

that is an extremely bad suggesstion. If you don't have a very good reason to not update, it is generally a good idea to update.


On 3/8/2017 4:04 PM, Gene wrote:
Is there a specific reason you want to use Windows 10?  You can upgrade for free but I don't know the procedure.  others, I expect, will advise you.  You say it's an old laptop.  There is a Microsoft site you can use to have your computer evaluated to see if it is able to be upgraded.  But unless there is a specific feature you want, I would advise leaving well enough alone. 
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
From: Sakina
Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2017 6:53 AM
Subject: [nvda] Can I still get it for free

Hello gene and Friends,

 

I have got this passed down old laptop from a friend that has got window 7

Please forgive me for my terminology below

I wish to update or is called upgrade to window 10

Is it possible and can I still get the window 10 for free?

If yes, than please how do I go about.

I will be and always am grateful for your help and guidance.

Thanking you all again.

With best wishes

Sakina


Virus-free. www.avast.com


Re: Can I still get it for free

enes sarıbaş
 

that is an extremely bad suggesstion. If you don't have a very good reason to not update, it is generally a good idea to update.


On 3/8/2017 4:04 PM, Gene wrote:
Is there a specific reason you want to use Windows 10?  You can upgrade for free but I don't know the procedure.  others, I expect, will advise you.  You say it's an old laptop.  There is a Microsoft site you can use to have your computer evaluated to see if it is able to be upgraded.  But unless there is a specific feature you want, I would advise leaving well enough alone. 
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
From: Sakina
Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2017 6:53 AM
Subject: [nvda] Can I still get it for free

Hello gene and Friends,

 

I have got this passed down old laptop from a friend that has got window 7

Please forgive me for my terminology below

I wish to update or is called upgrade to window 10

Is it possible and can I still get the window 10 for free?

If yes, than please how do I go about.

I will be and always am grateful for your help and guidance.

Thanking you all again.

With best wishes

Sakina


Virus-free. www.avast.com


Re: Can I still get it for free

Michael Capelle <mcapelle@...>
 

i totally agree here.
 

From: Gene
Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2017 7:04 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Can I still get it for free
 
Is there a specific reason you want to use Windows 10?  You can upgrade for free but I don't know the procedure.  others, I expect, will advise you.  You say it's an old laptop.  There is a Microsoft site you can use to have your computer evaluated to see if it is able to be upgraded.  But unless there is a specific feature you want, I would advise leaving well enough alone. 
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
From: Sakina
Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2017 6:53 AM
Subject: [nvda] Can I still get it for free
 

Hello gene and Friends,

 

I have got this passed down old laptop from a friend that has got window 7

Please forgive me for my terminology below

I wish to update or is called upgrade to window 10

Is it possible and can I still get the window 10 for free?

If yes, than please how do I go about.

I will be and always am grateful for your help and guidance.

Thanking you all again.

With best wishes

Sakina


Virus-free. www.avast.com


Re: Can I still get it for free

Gene
 

Is there a specific reason you want to use Windows 10?  You can upgrade for free but I don't know the procedure.  others, I expect, will advise you.  You say it's an old laptop.  There is a Microsoft site you can use to have your computer evaluated to see if it is able to be upgraded.  But unless there is a specific feature you want, I would advise leaving well enough alone. 
 
Gene

----- Original Message -----
From: Sakina
Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2017 6:53 AM
Subject: [nvda] Can I still get it for free

Hello gene and Friends,

 

I have got this passed down old laptop from a friend that has got window 7

Please forgive me for my terminology below

I wish to update or is called upgrade to window 10

Is it possible and can I still get the window 10 for free?

If yes, than please how do I go about.

I will be and always am grateful for your help and guidance.

Thanking you all again.

With best wishes

Sakina


Virus-free. www.avast.com


Can I still get it for free

Sakina
 

Hello gene and Friends,

 

I have got this passed down old laptop from a friend that has got window 7

Please forgive me for my terminology below

I wish to update or is called upgrade to window 10

Is it possible and can I still get the window 10 for free?

If yes, than please how do I go about.

I will be and always am grateful for your help and guidance.

Thanking you all again.

With best wishes

Sakina


Virus-free. www.avast.com


Re: New User Intro and a Couple Questions

Gene
 

If the other screen-reader used to work properly and doesn't now, that should be discussed more.  I'm not discouraging you from using NVDA, I'm saying that you may be covering up a problem such as malware and not solving it.  Whatever screen-reader you use, there may be an underlying problem that should be looked into.  Is the stuttering problem a recent one and did the screen-reader work properly before?  What antimalware programs are you using.  Is there any other sign of problems such as slower performance? 
 
As for the enter question, the only way to hear enter spoken is to use a setting that not only announces enter, but announces other keys every time they are pressed such as left and right arrow.  I'm confident you will get used to not hearing enter spoken but I'm also confident that you don't want to hear left arrow, right arrow and up and down arrow every time you use them as well as other key combinations you will hear.  If you want to play with the command to toggle this feature on and off, it's NVDA key 4 on the main keyboard.  If you are using the desktop keyboard layout, the NVDA key is either insert. 

Are you in the message list and are you down arrowing?
 
What program are you using spell check in?
 
What e-mail program are you using?  When you hear the subject repeated, what are you doing?  Are you down arrowing through the message lis or something else?
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----

From: David F.
Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2017 5:08 AM
Subject: [nvda] New User Intro and a Couple Questions

Hello Group Members:

 

I am attempting to use NVDA because of trouble I am having with a different screen reader.  My computer kept stuttering and stopping with several versions of said screen reader. 

 

I can do most things relatively easily with NVDA and like the newer voices.

 

I would like to know if anyone might help me with the following situations I have noticed:

 

1.  How do I make my enter key say enter each time I hit it?  It does not, and I find this disconcerting. 

 

2.  In spellcheck, how can I read the current line so as to best determine the proper correction?  In other  words, I need to hear the context or sentence so as to make the best word choice.  I used to have a way to do this in my other screen reader.

 

3.  When I come to my last email, it repeats this email over and over again. I mean to say, how can I make the voice not read the second time I am at the last email subject?  If it reads and rereads the subject, I think I have several emails, not one. And lastly,

 

4.  Speaking of emails, how can I figure out, as I used to do, how many emails I have in any of my several folders?

 

Thank you for any assistance as I continue my exploration of this interesting alternative.  Really, with a voice I am using, it sounds very good, just a little snap, crackle, and pop.

 

 


New User Intro and a Couple Questions

David F.
 

Hello Group Members:

 

I am attempting to use NVDA because of trouble I am having with a different screen reader.  My computer kept stuttering and stopping with several versions of said screen reader. 

 

I can do most things relatively easily with NVDA and like the newer voices.

 

I would like to know if anyone might help me with the following situations I have noticed:

 

1.  How do I make my enter key say enter each time I hit it?  It does not, and I find this disconcerting. 

 

2.  In spellcheck, how can I read the current line so as to best determine the proper correction?  In other  words, I need to hear the context or sentence so as to make the best word choice.  I used to have a way to do this in my other screen reader.

 

3.  When I come to my last email, it repeats this email over and over again. I mean to say, how can I make the voice not read the second time I am at the last email subject?  If it reads and rereads the subject, I think I have several emails, not one. And lastly,

 

4.  Speaking of emails, how can I figure out, as I used to do, how many emails I have in any of my several folders?

 

Thank you for any assistance as I continue my exploration of this interesting alternative.  Really, with a voice I am using, it sounds very good, just a little snap, crackle, and pop.

 

 


Re: Using Freedom Scientific Braille Display in Windows 10

Mallard <mallard@...>
 

Hello Ben and all,


Here you go:


https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3918790/FocusBlueDriver1.0.2030.exe


I upgraded straight from Windows 7 to Windows 10, and experienced no issues with my pm 40, so I hope it works for you too.


Ciao,

Ollie

Il 08/03/2017 10:32, Ben J. Bloomgren ha scritto:

Yes, please do send that link. That would be stellar!


Ben


On 3/7/2017 20:42, Pauline Smith wrote:

I suspected that the upgrade may be the reason. That is why I uninstalled then reinstalled the device drivers. The FS website didn't specify a Windows version with the link to the drivers.


Pauline



On 3/7/2017 10:26 PM, Gene wrote:
From what I've heard about Windows 10, it is more picky about drivers than earlier versions of Windows. I'm not a tech and I may be wrong, but I doubt there is a basis to say that Windows 8 or 8.1 drivers should work in theory.
Gene
----- Original Message -----
*From:* Shaun Everiss <mailto:sm.everiss@gmail.com>
*Sent:* Tuesday, March 07, 2017 9:12 PM
*To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
*Subject:* Re: [nvda] Using Freedom Scientific Braille Display in Windows 10

Maybe there are spaciffic drivers for win10 if not win8 or 8.1 drivers
should work in theory.



On 8/03/2017 3:58 p.m., Pauline Smith wrote:
Good Evening,


Since the upgrade to Windows 10, I haven't been able to use the
computer
with the FS braill display I am borrowing. I uninstalled and
reinstalled the display drivers and checked the setting under
Preferences/Braille Settings, then chose the appropriate display.
Things
still are not working. did I miss something?


Pauline






Re: Using Freedom Scientific Braille Display in Windows 10

Ben J. Bloomgren
 

Yes, please do send that link. That would be stellar!


Ben


On 3/7/2017 20:42, Pauline Smith wrote:

I suspected that the upgrade may be the reason.  That is why I uninstalled then reinstalled the device drivers.  The FS website didn't specify a Windows version with the link to the drivers.


Pauline



On 3/7/2017 10:26 PM, Gene wrote:
From what I've heard about Windows 10, it is more picky about drivers than earlier versions of Windows.  I'm not a tech and I may be wrong, but I doubt there is a basis to say that Windows 8 or 8.1 drivers should work in theory. 
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, March 07, 2017 9:12 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Using Freedom Scientific Braille Display in Windows 10

Maybe there are spaciffic drivers for win10 if not win8 or 8.1 drivers
should work in theory.



On 8/03/2017 3:58 p.m., Pauline Smith wrote:
> Good Evening,
>
>
> Since the upgrade to Windows 10, I haven't been able to use the computer
> with the FS braill display I am borrowing.  I uninstalled and
> reinstalled the display drivers and checked the setting under
> Preferences/Braille Settings, then chose the appropriate display. Things
> still are not working.  did I miss something?
>
>
> Pauline
>
>
>
>
>
>





Re: Small problem With NVDA andKNFB Reader

Chris Mullins
 

You could set up a profile which is activated when KNFB is running.  In it you could put NVDA into sleep mode.

 

Cheers

Chris

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene New Zealand
Sent: 8 March 2017 03:35
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Small problem With NVDA andKNFB Reader

 

Hi

 

Either put nvda into sleep mode or toggle the voice to off.

 

Gene nz

On 8/03/2017 4:17 PM, David Tanner wrote:

NVDA wants to read the recognized document at the same time the speech in KNFB Reader is reading it. 

 

Anyone know an easy way to keep NVDA from reading while KNFB reader is reading?

 



-- 
<b>Check out the new location of my accessibility central website for NVDA tutorials, NVDA road tested programs, and other eyesight related topics.
http://www.accessibilitycentral.net/ If you would like to keep up to date with whats being updated on our website, you can also follow us on facebook by visiting
the following link https://en-gb.facebook.com/people/AccessibilityCentral-Net/100009727930216
Also, check out which New Zealand libraries have the NVDA screen reader available by visiting the following link http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries


Re: Using Freedom Scientific Braille Display in Windows 10

Mallard <mallard@...>
 

Hello,


I'm usinga PacMate 40 display from Freedom Scientific, and had no problems upgrading to Windows 10.


I have the driver in my Dropbox, should anyone need it.


Ask, and I'll shaer the link.

Ciao,

Ollie

Il 08/03/2017 04:26, Gene ha scritto:
From what I've heard about Windows 10, it is more picky about drivers than earlier versions of Windows. I'm not a tech and I may be wrong, but I doubt there is a basis to say that Windows 8 or 8.1 drivers should work in theory.
Gene
----- Original Message -----
*From:* Shaun Everiss <mailto:sm.everiss@gmail.com>
*Sent:* Tuesday, March 07, 2017 9:12 PM
*To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
*Subject:* Re: [nvda] Using Freedom Scientific Braille Display in Windows 10

Maybe there are spaciffic drivers for win10 if not win8 or 8.1 drivers
should work in theory.



On 8/03/2017 3:58 p.m., Pauline Smith wrote:
Good Evening,


Since the upgrade to Windows 10, I haven't been able to use the computer
with the FS braill display I am borrowing. I uninstalled and
reinstalled the display drivers and checked the setting under
Preferences/Braille Settings, then chose the appropriate display. Things
still are not working. did I miss something?


Pauline