Date   

Re: reading status bar

Rosemarie Chavarria
 

Are you sure you're not hitting the NVDA key and 1 on the numpad? That will say "no previous review mode". NVDA end is the right command for status.

On 6/21/2017 2:26 PM, Don H wrote:
When I use nvda key shift end NVDA says no previous review mode.

On 6/21/2017 4:24 PM, George McCoy wrote:
NVDA shift end is what you want.

George

-----Original Message----- From: Don H
Sent: Tuesday, June 20, 2017 4:37 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] reading status bar

Running latest NVDA and Win 10. In the NVDA documentation it says that
NVDA key and the end key reads the status bar. Does not do it for me.
What am I doing wrong?







Re: nvda speaking in a foreign language

Rosemarie Chavarria
 

Yes, I did see it under trouble shooting.




On 6/21/2017 2:45 PM, Gene New Zealand wrote:

Hi Marv


there are 2 places i would check.


is the language on the menus in nvda not in english as well? or is it when it is reading stuff?



the first one i would check is


press the nvda key + ctrl key + the letter G. When it appears it should default to the language combo box. Is this set to user default? if you are not sure press the letter U until you hear NVDA say user default.

Then tab down to the ok button then press the enter key. it might be set automatically to save your configuration.


the second place to check is under the voice settings.


you can use the nvda key + ctrl key + letter V to get to this section quickly.


When it comes up  check the following places .


NVDA should default to the voice box i think it is called. if it is english you speak use the letter E until you hear NVDA say english, you might have to do it a couple of times until you get it.


then after it is back to english then tab down to the ok button then press the enter key.


You might have this check box also check but will usually only do it on a webpage. make sure it is unchecked plus the one after it..

Automatic language switching (when supported)




If you are back to English and happey with your settings then you can save them with the ctrl key + nvda key + the letter C.


hope the above helps.


come to think of it there was a audio tutorial on the first one of how to get that part fixed under the nvda audio tutorials page. I think it was under trouble shooting.


hope the above helps.


Gene nz



On 6/21/2017 5:10 PM, marvin kotler wrote:
good evening list; marv here.  Having a problem with nvda; when I loaded it, it was speaking in a language I do not understand.  Want to have it speak english; how do I accomplish this? I even uninstalled and reinstalled nvda with the same language results.  Any help getting it back to english would be appreciated.
Marv
 

--
Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations (or location) is near to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.


Re: Arrange Columns in Thunderbird Message List

Rosemarie Chavarria
 

Hi, Gene NZ,


I just read the page and it was very helpful. Now I have the tutorial about hiding or showing columns and drag and drop.


Rosemarie




On 6/21/2017 2:51 PM, Gene New Zealand wrote:

Hi


the following page might help you as the instructions are there. You will need to jump down by headings until you get to the section about showing and hiding columns in thunder bird and the one for drag and drop under neath it.


the page is http://www.accessibilitycentral.net/accessible%20email%20client%20mozilla%20thunderbird.html

You might find other stuff of interest that comes off this page to other parts of my website.


Gene nz

 


On 6/22/2017 3:48 AM, Rob wrote:
Some time ago, instructions were posted to do this. I thought I saved them, but apparently they did not make the transition to my new computer. Could whoever posted those instructions send them again?
Thanks.




--
Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations (or location) is near to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.


Re: NVDA and Google Chrome

Gene
 

I saw a post, perhaps on this list a number of days ago where someone explained how to get first letter navigation to work in the tool bar.  Perhaps that information will be posted again.  It isn't difficult to get into the book marks menu and, depending on what you find out and determine by experimenting, you may want to use this procedure:
Press alt to move to the menu.  Press enter to open the menu.
Type b to move to book marks, then press enter.
So the sequence is, alt, enter, b, enter.  Not as convenient as having a short cut command, but not that bad as an alternative.
 
Gene
----- original Message -----

Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2017 4:14 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA and Google Chrome

Hi Gene

Thanks for that, works well but you have to use tab to access each link whereas the menu listing them allows first letter access unless you use the letter b which loads the Bookmarks Manager.  I’ve sent some feedback to Google complaining about this.

 

Cheers

Chris

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: 21 June 2017 18:13
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA and Google Chrome

 

Any time you want to move to a different part of the same window, use f6.  If you use f6, you will move to the bookmarks tool bar.  And you can leave it on if you wish.  It doesn't interfere with other functions.

 

Gene

----- original Message -----

Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2017 10:53 AM

Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA and Google Chrome

 

Hi Steve

As far as I can see, Ctrl Shift b is the shortcut used to switch the Bookmarks toolbar on and off.  I’ve tried switching it on and it shows as checked in the Bookmarks menu list but I can’t work out how to access the Bookmarks toolbar itself from the keyboard.

 

Cheers

Chris

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Steve Nutt
Sent: 21 June 2017 15:08
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA and Google Chrome

 

Again, it does.  Control-Shift-B.

 

All the best

 

Steve

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of The Wolf
Sent: 15 June 2017 21:51
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA and Google Chrome

 

what about adding bookmarks?

 

On 6/15/2017 7:14 AM, Gene wrote:

After all these years, Chrome doesn't have such a shortcut.  You can open the menu with alt, press enter when the menu opens, type b and then press enter again. 

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

 

From: Don H

Sent: Thursday, June 15, 2017 9:06 AM

Subject: [nvda] NVDA and Google Chrome

 

In both IE and Firefox there is a simple way to get to your favorites
with Alt A and Alt B.  Is there a hot key combination to open favorites
or bookmarks in google chrome?
Thanks

 


Re: reading status bar

Rui Fontes
 

Hello

Let's clarify!

1 - The command to read the status bar is:
Desktop layout - NVDA+End
Laptop layout - NVDA+Shift+End

2 - The End key is the one found on the six-pad between the letters and numeric keyboard, normally above the arrow keys.

Rui

-----Mensagem Original-----
De: Don H
Data: 21 de junho de 2017 22:26
Para: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Assunto: Re: [nvda] reading status bar

When I use nvda key shift end NVDA says no previous review mode.

On 6/21/2017 4:24 PM, George McCoy wrote:
NVDA shift end is what you want.

George

-----Original Message----- From: Don H
Sent: Tuesday, June 20, 2017 4:37 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] reading status bar

Running latest NVDA and Win 10. In the NVDA documentation it says that
NVDA key and the end key reads the status bar. Does not do it for me.
What am I doing wrong?







Re: Using NVDA sleep mode in an application

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>
 

The sleep mode and also using the nvda key + S does not work, so would or should work with going into the synth settings and settings that to no speech could work in the profile.


I usually just toggle off the speech when i go into a self voicing program. then turn it back on after wards.


Gene nz



On 6/22/2017 9:27 AM, Tony Ballou wrote:

Hi,


Good to know, I haven't done much with profiles in NVDA though I have had a student ask me about that so, I'll be checking it out.


Tony


On 6/21/2017 4:54 PM, Frank Ventura wrote:

Thank you very much, that was very simple and it worked.

Sincerely
Frank Ventura
Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 21, 2017, at 4:51 PM, Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:

Hi,

After creating the profile, close the Configuration Profiles window. Switch to the app, and the app-specific profile will become active. At this point, press Control+NVDA+S to open Synthesizer dialog and choose ‘no speech” and press ENTER. Then switch away from the app and back to the app to make sure NVDA would become silent.

Cheers,

Joseph

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Frank Ventura
Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2017 1:48 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Using NVDA sleep mode in an application

 

OK, thanks I created a new profile for that application. How do I tell the profile to use no speech?

Sincerely

Frank Ventura

Sent from my iPhone


On Jun 21, 2017, at 4:43 PM, Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:

Hi,

The most effective solution is an app module that’ll put NVDA to sleep for this app. The second best solution is to use an app-specific profile and change speech synthesizer to “no speech” for this app.

Cheers,

Joseph

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Frank Ventura
Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2017 1:34 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Using NVDA sleep mode in an application

 

Thanks once I set up a profile just for application how do I could figure it to you sleep mode?

Sincerely

Frank Ventura

Sent from my iPhone


On Jun 21, 2017, at 4:28 PM, Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...> wrote:

Hi

 

You could always setup a profile to put nvda to sleep I am pretty sure it would work for that application.

 

Tene nz

 

 

On 6/22/2017 6:01 AM, Frank Ventura wrote:

Hi all, I have a self voicing application. When I launch the application I can put NVDA to sleep using CAPS LOCK SHIFT Z and that orks. However, I need to do it everytime I launch that application. Is there a means of setting that automatically for that application?

Thanks

Frank

 

--

Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations (or location) is near to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.



--
Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations (or location) is near to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.


Re: Using NVDA sleep mode in an application

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>
 

Hi


I was thinking also changing nvda to no speech with nvda key + S should do it.

I am guessing it should work rather than the sleep one i would have to set up a profile to check.


Gene nz



On 6/22/2017 8:59 AM, Rob wrote:
Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:
Unfortunately, this isn't working for me. I'll let someone explain why.

Because when NVDA is in sleep mode, that means it really has gone to sleep, in that app. Which means NVDA commands won't work.




--
Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations (or location) is near to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.


Re: Arrange Columns in Thunderbird Message List

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>
 

Hi


the following page might help you as the instructions are there. You will need to jump down by headings until you get to the section about showing and hiding columns in thunder bird and the one for drag and drop under neath it.


the page is http://www.accessibilitycentral.net/accessible%20email%20client%20mozilla%20thunderbird.html

You might find other stuff of interest that comes off this page to other parts of my website.


Gene nz

 


On 6/22/2017 3:48 AM, Rob wrote:
Some time ago, instructions were posted to do this. I thought I saved them, but apparently they did not make the transition to my new computer. Could whoever posted those instructions send them again?
Thanks.




--
Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations (or location) is near to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.


Re: nvda speaking in a foreign language

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>
 

Hi Marv


there are 2 places i would check.


is the language on the menus in nvda not in english as well? or is it when it is reading stuff?



the first one i would check is


press the nvda key + ctrl key + the letter G. When it appears it should default to the language combo box. Is this set to user default? if you are not sure press the letter U until you hear NVDA say user default.

Then tab down to the ok button then press the enter key. it might be set automatically to save your configuration.


the second place to check is under the voice settings.


you can use the nvda key + ctrl key + letter V to get to this section quickly.


When it comes up  check the following places .


NVDA should default to the voice box i think it is called. if it is english you speak use the letter E until you hear NVDA say english, you might have to do it a couple of times until you get it.


then after it is back to english then tab down to the ok button then press the enter key.


You might have this check box also check but will usually only do it on a webpage. make sure it is unchecked plus the one after it..

Automatic language switching (when supported)




If you are back to English and happey with your settings then you can save them with the ctrl key + nvda key + the letter C.


hope the above helps.


come to think of it there was a audio tutorial on the first one of how to get that part fixed under the nvda audio tutorials page. I think it was under trouble shooting.


hope the above helps.


Gene nz



On 6/21/2017 5:10 PM, marvin kotler wrote:
good evening list; marv here.  Having a problem with nvda; when I loaded it, it was speaking in a language I do not understand.  Want to have it speak english; how do I accomplish this? I even uninstalled and reinstalled nvda with the same language results.  Any help getting it back to english would be appreciated.
Marv
 

--
Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations (or location) is near to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.


Re: Using NVDA sleep mode in an application

Tony Ballou
 

Hi,


Good to know, I haven't done much with profiles in NVDA though I have had a student ask me about that so, I'll be checking it out.


Tony


On 6/21/2017 4:54 PM, Frank Ventura wrote:

Thank you very much, that was very simple and it worked.

Sincerely
Frank Ventura
Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 21, 2017, at 4:51 PM, Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:

Hi,

After creating the profile, close the Configuration Profiles window. Switch to the app, and the app-specific profile will become active. At this point, press Control+NVDA+S to open Synthesizer dialog and choose ‘no speech” and press ENTER. Then switch away from the app and back to the app to make sure NVDA would become silent.

Cheers,

Joseph

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Frank Ventura
Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2017 1:48 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Using NVDA sleep mode in an application

 

OK, thanks I created a new profile for that application. How do I tell the profile to use no speech?

Sincerely

Frank Ventura

Sent from my iPhone


On Jun 21, 2017, at 4:43 PM, Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:

Hi,

The most effective solution is an app module that’ll put NVDA to sleep for this app. The second best solution is to use an app-specific profile and change speech synthesizer to “no speech” for this app.

Cheers,

Joseph

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Frank Ventura
Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2017 1:34 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Using NVDA sleep mode in an application

 

Thanks once I set up a profile just for application how do I could figure it to you sleep mode?

Sincerely

Frank Ventura

Sent from my iPhone


On Jun 21, 2017, at 4:28 PM, Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...> wrote:

Hi

 

You could always setup a profile to put nvda to sleep I am pretty sure it would work for that application.

 

Tene nz

 

 

On 6/22/2017 6:01 AM, Frank Ventura wrote:

Hi all, I have a self voicing application. When I launch the application I can put NVDA to sleep using CAPS LOCK SHIFT Z and that orks. However, I need to do it everytime I launch that application. Is there a means of setting that automatically for that application?

Thanks

Frank

 

--

Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations (or location) is near to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.



Re: reading status bar

Don H
 

When I use nvda key shift end NVDA says no previous review mode.

On 6/21/2017 4:24 PM, George McCoy wrote:
NVDA shift end is what you want.
George
-----Original Message----- From: Don H
Sent: Tuesday, June 20, 2017 4:37 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] reading status bar
Running latest NVDA and Win 10. In the NVDA documentation it says that
NVDA key and the end key reads the status bar. Does not do it for me.
What am I doing wrong?


Re: reading status bar

George McCoy <slr1bpz@...>
 

NVDA shift end is what you want.

George

-----Original Message-----
From: Don H
Sent: Tuesday, June 20, 2017 4:37 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] reading status bar

Running latest NVDA and Win 10. In the NVDA documentation it says that
NVDA key and the end key reads the status bar. Does not do it for me.
What am I doing wrong?


Re: Using NVDA sleep mode in an application

Tony Ballou
 

Houdy Joseph,


Thanks for clarification on this. 


Tony


On 6/21/2017 4:52 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,

After creating the profile, close the Configuration Profiles window. Switch to the app, and the app-specific profile will become active. At this point, press Control+NVDA+S to open Synthesizer dialog and choose ‘no speech” and press ENTER. Then switch away from the app and back to the app to make sure NVDA would become silent.

Cheers,

Joseph

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Frank Ventura
Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2017 1:48 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Using NVDA sleep mode in an application

 

OK, thanks I created a new profile for that application. How do I tell the profile to use no speech?

Sincerely

Frank Ventura

Sent from my iPhone


On Jun 21, 2017, at 4:43 PM, Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:

Hi,

The most effective solution is an app module that’ll put NVDA to sleep for this app. The second best solution is to use an app-specific profile and change speech synthesizer to “no speech” for this app.

Cheers,

Joseph

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Frank Ventura
Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2017 1:34 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Using NVDA sleep mode in an application

 

Thanks once I set up a profile just for application how do I could figure it to you sleep mode?

Sincerely

Frank Ventura

Sent from my iPhone


On Jun 21, 2017, at 4:28 PM, Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...> wrote:

Hi

 

You could always setup a profile to put nvda to sleep I am pretty sure it would work for that application.

 

Tene nz

 

 

On 6/22/2017 6:01 AM, Frank Ventura wrote:

Hi all, I have a self voicing application. When I launch the application I can put NVDA to sleep using CAPS LOCK SHIFT Z and that orks. However, I need to do it everytime I launch that application. Is there a means of setting that automatically for that application?

Thanks

Frank

 

--

Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations (or location) is near to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.



Re: NVDA and Google Chrome

Don H
 

OK I think I was the one who started this subject line and the original question was whether Chrome had a way to open your favorites like IE and Firefox has.
With all the suggestions I have found that to get to the Bookmarks tool bar in Chrome you can either hit F6 or alt shift b as in boy. Then you can arrow through the bookmarks. I think F6 is a little easier than alt shift b. Thanks for all the replies.


Re: NVDA and Google Chrome

Chris Mullins
 

Hi Gene

Thanks for that, works well but you have to use tab to access each link whereas the menu listing them allows first letter access unless you use the letter b which loads the Bookmarks Manager.  I’ve sent some feedback to Google complaining about this.

 

Cheers

Chris

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: 21 June 2017 18:13
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA and Google Chrome

 

Any time you want to move to a different part of the same window, use f6.  If you use f6, you will move to the bookmarks tool bar.  And you can leave it on if you wish.  It doesn't interfere with other functions.

 

Gene

----- original Message -----

Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2017 10:53 AM

Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA and Google Chrome

 

Hi Steve

As far as I can see, Ctrl Shift b is the shortcut used to switch the Bookmarks toolbar on and off.  I’ve tried switching it on and it shows as checked in the Bookmarks menu list but I can’t work out how to access the Bookmarks toolbar itself from the keyboard.

 

Cheers

Chris

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Steve Nutt
Sent: 21 June 2017 15:08
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA and Google Chrome

 

Again, it does.  Control-Shift-B.

 

All the best

 

Steve

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of The Wolf
Sent: 15 June 2017 21:51
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA and Google Chrome

 

what about adding bookmarks?

 

On 6/15/2017 7:14 AM, Gene wrote:

After all these years, Chrome doesn't have such a shortcut.  You can open the menu with alt, press enter when the menu opens, type b and then press enter again. 

 

Gene

----- Original Message -----

 

From: Don H

Sent: Thursday, June 15, 2017 9:06 AM

Subject: [nvda] NVDA and Google Chrome

 

In both IE and Firefox there is a simple way to get to your favorites
with Alt A and Alt B.  Is there a hot key combination to open favorites
or bookmarks in google chrome?
Thanks

 


Re: Copying and Retaining Formatting

Tony Ballou
 

Hi Gene,


Right on buddy.  To my knowledge there isn't an option for that, or if there is, I haven't been looking in the right places.  and for a quick update on my previous post, you did have to use the bypass command in order to perform the copying and pasting of the formatting. If my thinkings right it bypass then the command of copying, then hitting the bypass again then pasting it. Got to get out of here, running late.


Tony



On 6/21/2017 12:02 PM, Gene wrote:
I don't know if this needs to be dealt with in part in Word but the original source is a web page and the screen-reader definitely affects what is copied from the web page depending on what settings are available governing this.  If no settings are vailable, content will be altered and you can't do anything about it while the screen-reader is running.  JAWS has an option that allows you to copy from the MSAA buffer or more or less directly from the web page.  I don't remember the actual names of these options.  NVDA doesn't have such an option.
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2017 10:06 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Copying and Retaining Formatting

I would think this would be a feature of Word rather than the screen reader.  Have you done a Google search on retaining source formatting when pasting into Word or checked out the advanced section of the Word options?  I only have Word 2007 and don't  know if later versions have changed but if I press alt f and select 'Word Options' from the menu, select 'Advanced' from the list box, there is something about pasting options in there.

Cheers
Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tony Ballou
Sent: 21 June 2017 12:25
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Copying and Retaining Formatting

Hi,


I don't believe so, and if there is, I would sure like to know it myself. I remember jaws having such a feature when I was using it back in the day.


Tony
On 6/19/2017 12:25 PM, kelby carlson wrote:
> All,
>
> Is there a way to copy text from a webpage into a Word document while
> retaining the formatting/fontheadings of the text intact? When I copy
> and paste normally this does not happen, and it was a feature in JAWS.
>
>
>










Re: Using NVDA sleep mode in an application

Gene
 

It won't work because when NVDA is asleep, by definition, no NVDA commands will work.  Being asleep means it does nothing.  The only command that will work is the command to wake it up again.  If it seems to work it is because, if you turn sleep on, then leave the Window and return, sleep will resume.  But that will happen whether you save the configuration or not.  NVDA is asleep whenever you reenter the window for that application during that session of NVDA running unless you turn sleep off in that application.  But the setting can't be saved and it won't carry over from session to session.
 
Gene

----- Original Message -----
From: Joseph Lee
Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2017 3:53 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Using NVDA sleep mode in an application

Hi,

Unfortunately, this isn’t working for me. I’ll let someone explain why.

Cheers,

Joseph

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tony Ballou
Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2017 1:50 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Using NVDA sleep mode in an application

 

Hi Frank,

 

I believe you can. When you are working in that self voicing program, and you have NVDA in sleep mode, hit NVDA-control-c this will save the current configuration settings and the next time you're in that self voicing program, NVDA should automatically go into sleep mode. Hope that makes sense.

 

Tony 

 

On 6/21/2017 2:01 PM, Frank Ventura wrote:

Hi all, I have a self voicing application. When I launch the application I can put NVDA to sleep using CAPS LOCK SHIFT Z and that orks. However, I need to do it everytime I launch that application. Is there a means of setting that automatically for that application?

Thanks

Frank

 


Re: Copying and Retaining Formatting

Tony Ballou
 

Hi Gene,


I think you're right buddy. That's how I use to do it back in the day.  If memory serves me right, once you had the text selected, and copied to the clipboard, you could using the paste special command paste it into the document with a choice of different characteristics.  I believe the options were something like unformatted text, rich text, or formatted text or something like that.  It worked in word, outlook, and I think that you could even do it in excel. I know that in jaws it was something like control-shift-c to copy the formatting and control-shift-v to paste it directly. I may be jiving about this because it's been so long since I've done it.  sighs!  But, I think that's how that worked. 


tony 


On 6/21/2017 1:18 PM, Gene wrote:
While this problem may need to be worked out, do you even know if the original formatting is being kept when you copy from the browser? 
 
Also, there used to be, in Outlook 2003, an item called paste special.  I don't know if there still is such an item.  But I believe you could use it to select what you wanted to do.  You wouldn't issue the paste command.  You would open paste special and choose an option.  As I recall, I almost never used it, moving to an option and pressing enter would cause that option to be performed along with pasting.  You wouldn't issue the control v command, just press enter on the option you want.
 

Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2017 10:58 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Copying and Retaining Formatting

I already looked at those options, as I said earlier. Despite having
them set to keep the source formatting, that isn't what is happening.
Pressing control after pasting does absolutely nothing, and I'm not
inclined to think it would given the role of the control key in NVDA.

On 6/21/17, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 08:52 am, kelby carlson wrote:
>
>>
>> Are you sure I don't have to pass the key through first? Control has a
>> specific function within NVDA in particular.
>
> I'm aware of the split button in the Home Ribbon, but it's a much bigger
> PITA to get to it, though you can use it.
>
> I am having absolutely no difficulty with NVDA running with hitting CTRL
> alone, immediately after having done a paste, and having it activate the
> paste options.  Never having worked with Word 2016 I can't really posit a
> theory as to what might or might not be happening.  The most recent version
> of Word with which I have any direct experience is Word 2013, and the
> majority of the time use Word 2010.
>
> --
> Brian  - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1703, Build 15063.332
>
> *     * *The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement.* *  But
> the opposite of a profound truth may well be another* * profound truth.*
>
> *           ~ * *Niels Bohr*
>





Re: Using NVDA sleep mode in an application

Rob
 

Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...> wrote:
Unfortunately, this isn't working for me. I'll let someone explain why.

Because when NVDA is in sleep mode, that means it really has gone to sleep, in that app. Which means NVDA commands won't work.


Re: Arrange Columns in Thunderbird Message List

 

One of the regulars here, Gene New Zealand, has detailed instructions on how to do this on accessibilitycentral.net, specifically:

http://accessibilitycentral.net/accessible%20email%20client%20mozilla%20thunderbird.html

on that page search for:  How to show or hide columns in your Mozilla Thunderbird email header
and/or Using drag and drop with NVDA to rearrange column headers in Mozilla Thunderbird
depending on whether you want to add or remove columns shown or just to rearrange those shown by default.
--
Brian  Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1703, Build 15063.332

     The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement.  But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.

            Niels Bohr