Date   
Re: NVDA reading single numbers!

Gene
 

It depends if you are using the desktop keyboard layout or the laptop layout.  I don't know nor do I use the laptop layout.  The desktop layout command is numpad 5 pressed rapidly twice for spelling or single number announcement.
 
Gene

Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2016 5:53 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA reading single numbers!

what ar the commands to do single dijets/numbers?

On 4/14/16, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
> Although it requires an additional two or three commands, the easiest way to
> do this now is probably to have the cursor on the number then press say
> current word twice quickly.  That spells the word or announces the number
> you are on as single digits.  You can try the other suggestions if you wish
> but this one is the easiest unless you want to do things like modify the
> speech dictionary.
>
> Gene
>
>
> From: Patrick Le Baudour
> Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2016 2:18 PM
> To: nvda@groups.io
> Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA reading single numbers!
>
>
> hi,
>
> apart from using spelling, the simplest way would be to have a
> dictionary entry:
> "(\d)(?=\d)" as input
> "\1 " as output (beware of the space)
> with regular expression for the mode.
> That would append a space after any digit followedd by another, thus
> making the reading digit by digit.
>
> -- Patrick
>
> Le 14/04/2016 20:47, M123456ailing Lists a écrit :
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I was just wondering again today if it is still not possible for NVDA to
>> read numbers in groups. I mean like having it read telephone numbers in
>> single digits rather than in a combined manner.
>> Is there any means yet to have this done within NVDA?.
>>
>> Many thanks,
>>
>> Paul.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>


--
• Watch your thoughts, for they become words.
 Watch your words, for they become actions.
 Watch your actions, for they become habits.
 Watch your habits, for they become character.
 Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.



Re: NVDA reading single numbers!

mr. Chikodinaka Oguledo&mrs. AdonnihHappiness Obima Oguledo
 

what ar the commands to do single dijets/numbers?

On 4/14/16, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
Although it requires an additional two or three commands, the easiest way to
do this now is probably to have the cursor on the number then press say
current word twice quickly. That spells the word or announces the number
you are on as single digits. You can try the other suggestions if you wish
but this one is the easiest unless you want to do things like modify the
speech dictionary.

Gene


From: Patrick Le Baudour
Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2016 2:18 PM
To: nvda@groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA reading single numbers!


hi,

apart from using spelling, the simplest way would be to have a
dictionary entry:
"(\d)(?=\d)" as input
"\1 " as output (beware of the space)
with regular expression for the mode.
That would append a space after any digit followedd by another, thus
making the reading digit by digit.

-- Patrick

Le 14/04/2016 20:47, M123456ailing Lists a écrit :
Hi All,

I was just wondering again today if it is still not possible for NVDA to
read numbers in groups. I mean like having it read telephone numbers in
single digits rather than in a combined manner.
Is there any means yet to have this done within NVDA?.

Many thanks,

Paul.

































--
• Watch your thoughts, for they become words.
Watch your words, for they become actions.
Watch your actions, for they become habits.
Watch your habits, for they become character.
Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.

Re: NVDA reading single numbers!

Gene
 

Although it requires an additional two or three commands, the easiest way to do this now is probably to have the cursor on the number then press say current word twice quickly.  That spells the word or announces the number you are on as single digits.  You can try the other suggestions if you wish but this one is the easiest unless you want to do things like modify the speech dictionary. 
 
Gene

Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2016 2:18 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA reading single numbers!

hi,

apart from using spelling, the simplest way would be to have a
dictionary entry:
"(\d)(?=\d)" as input
"\1 " as output (beware of the space)
with regular expression for the mode.
That would append a space after any digit followedd by another, thus
making the reading digit by digit.

-- Patrick

Le 14/04/2016 20:47, M123456ailing Lists a écrit :
> Hi All,
>
> I was just wondering again today if it is still not possible for NVDA to read numbers in groups. I mean like having it read telephone numbers in single digits rather than in a combined manner.
> Is there any means yet to have this done within NVDA?.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Paul.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>


Re: Basic Training for NVDA - Official NVDA training material now available!

David Moore
 

Hi all,
Wow, I just read the sample of the book, and I decided to buy the book. I am so excited that we will have all kinds of training materials for NVDA just like we do for JAWS. In the future, I will buy all training materials, because I want to pay back what NVDA has done for me. I am using NVDA more than JAWS after just two months, and I have used JAWS for 15 years. I was using the mouse to navigate an app that JAWS would do nothing with. This is really great! Take care all, and let’s celebrate the first training material of many to come.
 
 

Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2016 6:09 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Basic Training for NVDA - Official NVDA training material now available!
 
It sounds good to me 2 and when it does happen have you looked at a cost for it? if any.

I have never done any thing like is mentioned, so don't know what to expect.

Gene nz


On 14-Apr-16 11:15 PM, Quentin Christensen wrote:
Hi Heaven,
 
We haven't got the certification ready yet, so we'll post more details about the exact format later.  For now, what I can say is that if you have a good understanding of most of what is in the Basic Training for NVDA book you will be in good stead for the certification.
 
Kind regards
 
Quentin.
 
On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 6:35 PM, HBotma <ehlbotma@...> wrote:
Hi

What does the certification involve?

Heaven

On 4/14/16, Shaun Everiss <sm.everiss@...> wrote:
> I have the book and will read it even though I am a good user of most of
> nvda.
> I will order the others to and maybe I may do the certifficate for
> thesheer hell of it.
>
>
>
> On 14/04/2016 8:12 p.m., Christopher Hallsworth wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I’ve just ordered the book after liking the sample and to simply
>> contribute to the project. Hope you all do the same even if it’s just to
>> contribute to the project.
>>
>>> On 14 Apr 2016, at 07:47, Quentin Christensen <quentin@...>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> NV Access is very pleased to announce the release of “Basic Training for
>>> NVDA”.  This eBook is the first module in the official set of training
>>> materials for learning to use the free NVDA screen reader.
>>>
>>> Available now from:
>>> http://www.nvaccess.org/product/basic-training-for-nvda-ebook/
>>>
>>> This eBook is suitable for the new and existing user wishing to improve
>>> proficiency.
>>>
>>> Topics covered include: Getting started with NVDA and Windows, basic
>>> configuration, writing and editing text, document formatting, file
>>> management, multi-tasking, browsing the web, using the review cursor and
>>> object navigation.
>>>
>>> The purchase price of this product supports the work of NV Access and our
>>> ability to provide the NVDA screen reading software free of charge.
>>>
>>> Initially the material is available as downloadable electronic text.  We
>>> are working on audio and braille formats which will be available in due
>>> course.
>>>
>>> Kind regards
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> Quentin Christensen
>>> Training Material Developer
>>> www.nvaccess.org
>>> Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess
>>> Twitter: @NVAccess
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>





 
--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer

Ph +61 7 3149 3306 
Direct: +61 413 904 383
www.nvaccess.org 
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess 
Twitter: @NVAccess


-- 
Check out my website for nvda tutorials and other blindness related material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net

Re: Basic Training for NVDA - Official NVDA training material now available!

Kenny Dog <hurrikennyandopo@...>
 

It sounds good to me 2 and when it does happen have you looked at a cost for it? if any.

I have never done any thing like is mentioned, so don't know what to expect.

Gene nz


On 14-Apr-16 11:15 PM, Quentin Christensen wrote:
Hi Heaven,

We haven't got the certification ready yet, so we'll post more details about the exact format later.  For now, what I can say is that if you have a good understanding of most of what is in the Basic Training for NVDA book you will be in good stead for the certification.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 6:35 PM, HBotma <ehlbotma@...> wrote:
Hi

What does the certification involve?

Heaven

On 4/14/16, Shaun Everiss <sm.everiss@...> wrote:
> I have the book and will read it even though I am a good user of most of
> nvda.
> I will order the others to and maybe I may do the certifficate for
> thesheer hell of it.
>
>
>
> On 14/04/2016 8:12 p.m., Christopher Hallsworth wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I’ve just ordered the book after liking the sample and to simply
>> contribute to the project. Hope you all do the same even if it’s just to
>> contribute to the project.
>>
>>> On 14 Apr 2016, at 07:47, Quentin Christensen <quentin@...>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> NV Access is very pleased to announce the release of “Basic Training for
>>> NVDA”.  This eBook is the first module in the official set of training
>>> materials for learning to use the free NVDA screen reader.
>>>
>>> Available now from:
>>> http://www.nvaccess.org/product/basic-training-for-nvda-ebook/
>>>
>>> This eBook is suitable for the new and existing user wishing to improve
>>> proficiency.
>>>
>>> Topics covered include: Getting started with NVDA and Windows, basic
>>> configuration, writing and editing text, document formatting, file
>>> management, multi-tasking, browsing the web, using the review cursor and
>>> object navigation.
>>>
>>> The purchase price of this product supports the work of NV Access and our
>>> ability to provide the NVDA screen reading software free of charge.
>>>
>>> Initially the material is available as downloadable electronic text.  We
>>> are working on audio and braille formats which will be available in due
>>> course.
>>>
>>> Kind regards
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> Quentin Christensen
>>> Training Material Developer
>>> www.nvaccess.org
>>> Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess
>>> Twitter: @NVAccess
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>






--
Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer

Ph +61 7 3149 3306 
Direct: +61 413 904 383
www.nvaccess.org 
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess 
Twitter: @NVAccess 


-- 
Check out my website for nvda tutorials and other blindness related material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net

Re: Where does NVDA save its setting about running in login screens?

 

Hi all,

I’m sure this has been answered, but to give you a backstage tour:

If you do tell NVDA to speak at secure screens such as User Account Control settings, NVDA will use an ini file stored at a different location than that of user settings. This folder, which becomes part of NVDA program folder, is used to store ini files, add-ons and what not – effectively used as a mirror of user settings for use when NVDA is located in secure screens. You can also tell NVDA to copy user settings to this folder but note that not all add-ons will support running in secure screens.

Cheers,

Joseph

 

From: Quentin Christensen [mailto:quentin@...]
Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2016 4:38 AM
To: nvda@groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Where does NVDA save its setting about running in login screens?

 

Hi Simon,

 

The setting is in the general preferences (press NVDA+N then P then ENTER) and it's called "Use currently saved settings on the logon and other secure screens (requires admin privileges)".

 

Note that you need to have admin privileges and it also only works with an installed copy of NVDA (not a portable copy).

 

Kind regards

 

Quentin.

 

On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 7:15 PM, Eigeldinger Simon <simon.eigeldinger@...> wrote:

Hi all,

 

Where does NVDA save its setting about using NVDA in secure destkops and windows login screen?

 

Thanks and greetings,

simon



 

--

Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer

Ph +61 7 3149 3306 

Direct: +61 413 904 383
www.nvaccess.org 
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess 
Twitter: @NVAccess 

Re: Basic Training for NVDA - Official NVDA training material now available!

erik burggraaf <erik@...>
 

If you wanted to make it official, I'm sure you could put in your billing address and your friend's shipping address.  Or you could buy two copies of the book in your name and give them one.  Or, as some one else said, it seems you could simply give away the copy you paid for as many times as you like.  Just depends on how honest and appreciative you are and how many copies of the book you have money to spend on.

Best,

Erik Burggraaf


On Apr 14, 2016, at 2:53 PM, Christopher Hallsworth <challsworth2@...> wrote:

Hi. Wondering how one could purchase the ebook for a friend as a gift? Just some food for thought.
On 14 Apr 2016, at 16:46, Bhavya shah <bhavya.shah125@...> wrote:

Hi Quentin,
From the sample, it seems very well written and practically
interactive, which should really help.
Most prominently though, I found the pricing very impartial and
mutually acceptible, as although I may not be able to purchase this
even to support NVDA due to not being a working person myself, but a
friend of mine is trying to learn and figure out using a computer with
NVDA, and my guidance significantly limited due to my own academic
constraints are not sufficient, I am pretty sure he would be willing
to purchase this e-book.
I will forward this announcement release to other platforms too, so
maximum people interested to begin using NVDA even as a transition can
efficiently do so.
Thanks.

On 4/14/16, Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...> wrote:
I think what is needed here is another donate page for the countries where
the cost is going to be difficult to  obtain due to local government
policies or sheer poverty. I'm sure some of us would do a separate donation

for this if we were assured somebody was administering it for the needy in a

reliable way. I've been involved before in so called charity giving with
middle men and have usually ended up wondering who nicked the momey!

any thoughts?
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Christo Vorster" <christo.vorster@...>
To: <nvda@groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2016 9:23 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Basic Training for NVDA - Official NVDA training
material now available!


Hi Quentin



Before I throw you a curve ball, a bit of background.



I am employed by the Institute for the Blind in Worcester, South Africa. I
am involved in training adult blind persons, mostly from our so-called
“previously disadvantaged” communities. These people, under normal
circumstances receive a state grant of, if I convert it to Australian dollar

at a rate of ten to one, fourteen dollar.



Our institution is usually obliged to write off their study costs. So what I

am driving at, is to ask whether it might be possible to obtain a copy of
the training material at a discount or, at best, free of charge.



I understand that the development of NVDA doesn’t come cheep, and I, as a
blind person myself, genuinely appreciate what is done. To my mind NVDA is
probably the best speech program available. I don’t just say this because it

is the correct thing to do, this is my true opinion.



Please don’t feel that it is your duty to give us the material for free, or

at a discount, I am just enquiring.



Thanks again for everything that you, and whoever else, do to provide the
blind community, world wide, with this brilliant package.



Best wishes for the further development and regards



Christo Vorster, South Africa

From: Quentin Christensen [mailto:quentin@...]
Sent: Thursday, 14 April 2016 9:45 AM
To: nvda@groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Basic Training for NVDA - Official NVDA training
material now available!



Hi Ondrej,



A very good question.  It is something that's come up in discussion.  As you

note, it is a lot of work to translate and we do very much appreciate the
work that you are already doing.



The priority to date has been getting the material released electronically
initially.  Now that is done we are working to make it available in audio
and braille (in English) and also setting up the certification exam.



We will definitely look at the question of translation although to start
with we don't want to put any extra on your shoulders just yet.



Kind regards



Quentin.



On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 5:19 PM, Ondrej Rosik <ondrej.rosik@...>
wrote:

Hi,
Very interesting. My question: would it be possible to translate it to other

languages? I am translating NVDA to Slovak, so I can imagine that translator

volunteers theoretically should translate this document to their language. I

realize, that it is som much work and It may take more time. Do you plan
this?



Dňa 14.04.2016 o 8:47 Quentin Christensen napísal(a):

Hi everyone,



NV Access is very pleased to announce the release of “Basic Training for
NVDA”.  This eBook is the first module in the official set of training
materials for learning to use the free NVDA screen reader.



Available now from:
http://www.nvaccess.org/product/basic-training-for-nvda-ebook/



This eBook is suitable for the new and existing user wishing to improve
proficiency.



Topics covered include: Getting started with NVDA and Windows, basic
configuration, writing and editing text, document formatting, file
management, multi-tasking, browsing the web, using the review cursor and
object navigation.



The purchase price of this product supports the work of NV Access and our
ability to provide the NVDA screen reading software free of charge.



Initially the material is available as downloadable electronic text.  We are

working on audio and braille formats which will be available in due course.



Kind regards







--

Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer
www.nvaccess.org <http://www.nvaccess.org/>

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess
Twitter: @NVAccess









--

Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer
Ph  <tel:%2B61%207%203149%203306> +61 7 3149 3306

Direct: +61 413 904 383
<http://www.nvaccess.org/> www.nvaccess.org
Facebook:  <http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess>
http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess
Twitter: @NVAccess










--
Warm Regards
Bhavya Shah
Using NVDA (Non Visual Desktop Access) free and open source screen
reader for Microsoft Windows
To download a copy of the free screen reader NVDA, please visit
http://www.nvaccess.org/
Using Google Talkback on Motorolla G second generation Lollipop 5.0.2
Reach me through the following means:
Mobile: +91 7506221750
E-mail id: bhavya.shah125@...
Skype id : bhavya.09








Re: NVDA reading single numbers!

Patrick Le Baudour
 

hi,

apart from using spelling, the simplest way would be to have a dictionary entry:
"(\d)(?=\d)" as input
"\1 " as output (beware of the space)
with regular expression for the mode.
That would append a space after any digit followedd by another, thus making the reading digit by digit.

-- Patrick

Le 14/04/2016 20:47, M123456ailing Lists a écrit :
Hi All,

I was just wondering again today if it is still not possible for NVDA to read numbers in groups. I mean like having it read telephone numbers in single digits rather than in a combined manner.
Is there any means yet to have this done within NVDA?.

Many thanks,

Paul.































Re: speech viewer font size

 

Hi,

I have forwarded this question to developers.

Cheers,

Joseph

 

From: Glen Walker [mailto:glen.walker@...]
Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2016 11:27 AM
To: nvda@groups.io
Subject: [nvda] speech viewer font size

 

I like using the speech viewer when showing demos to sighted users.  However, the font is usually too small for a large conference room.  Is there a way to change the font used in the speech viewer?  On a longshot, I tried the browser shortcut Ctrl++ to increase the font size but it didn't work.

 

Re: Basic Training for NVDA - Official NVDA training material now available!

Antony Stone
 

Er, buy it and then send it to them? There doesn't seem to be any DRM
involved, so what is the problem?

Antony.

On Thursday 14 April 2016 at 20:53:34, Christopher Hallsworth wrote:

Hi. Wondering how one could purchase the ebook for a friend as a gift? Just
some food for thought.
Dňa 14.04.2016 o 8:47 Quentin Christensen napísal(a):

NV Access is very pleased to announce the release of “Basic Training for
NVDA”. This eBook is the first module in the official set of training
materials for learning to use the free NVDA screen reader.
--
The words "e pluribus unum" on the Great Seal of the United States are from a
poem by Virgil entitled "Moretum", which is about cheese and garlic salad
dressing.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Re: Basic Training for NVDA - Official NVDA training material now available!

christopher hallsworth <challsworth2@...>
 

Hi. Wondering how one could purchase the ebook for a friend as a gift? Just some food for thought.

On 14 Apr 2016, at 16:46, Bhavya shah <bhavya.shah125@...> wrote:

Hi Quentin,
From the sample, it seems very well written and practically
interactive, which should really help.
Most prominently though, I found the pricing very impartial and
mutually acceptible, as although I may not be able to purchase this
even to support NVDA due to not being a working person myself, but a
friend of mine is trying to learn and figure out using a computer with
NVDA, and my guidance significantly limited due to my own academic
constraints are not sufficient, I am pretty sure he would be willing
to purchase this e-book.
I will forward this announcement release to other platforms too, so
maximum people interested to begin using NVDA even as a transition can
efficiently do so.
Thanks.

On 4/14/16, Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...> wrote:
I think what is needed here is another donate page for the countries where
the cost is going to be difficult to obtain due to local government
policies or sheer poverty. I'm sure some of us would do a separate donation

for this if we were assured somebody was administering it for the needy in a

reliable way. I've been involved before in so called charity giving with
middle men and have usually ended up wondering who nicked the momey!

any thoughts?
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Christo Vorster" <christo.vorster@...>
To: <nvda@groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2016 9:23 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Basic Training for NVDA - Official NVDA training
material now available!


Hi Quentin



Before I throw you a curve ball, a bit of background.



I am employed by the Institute for the Blind in Worcester, South Africa. I
am involved in training adult blind persons, mostly from our so-called
“previously disadvantaged” communities. These people, under normal
circumstances receive a state grant of, if I convert it to Australian dollar

at a rate of ten to one, fourteen dollar.



Our institution is usually obliged to write off their study costs. So what I

am driving at, is to ask whether it might be possible to obtain a copy of
the training material at a discount or, at best, free of charge.



I understand that the development of NVDA doesn’t come cheep, and I, as a
blind person myself, genuinely appreciate what is done. To my mind NVDA is
probably the best speech program available. I don’t just say this because it

is the correct thing to do, this is my true opinion.



Please don’t feel that it is your duty to give us the material for free, or

at a discount, I am just enquiring.



Thanks again for everything that you, and whoever else, do to provide the
blind community, world wide, with this brilliant package.



Best wishes for the further development and regards



Christo Vorster, South Africa

From: Quentin Christensen [mailto:quentin@...]
Sent: Thursday, 14 April 2016 9:45 AM
To: nvda@groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Basic Training for NVDA - Official NVDA training
material now available!



Hi Ondrej,



A very good question. It is something that's come up in discussion. As you

note, it is a lot of work to translate and we do very much appreciate the
work that you are already doing.



The priority to date has been getting the material released electronically
initially. Now that is done we are working to make it available in audio
and braille (in English) and also setting up the certification exam.



We will definitely look at the question of translation although to start
with we don't want to put any extra on your shoulders just yet.



Kind regards



Quentin.



On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 5:19 PM, Ondrej Rosik <ondrej.rosik@...>
wrote:

Hi,
Very interesting. My question: would it be possible to translate it to other

languages? I am translating NVDA to Slovak, so I can imagine that translator

volunteers theoretically should translate this document to their language. I

realize, that it is som much work and It may take more time. Do you plan
this?



Dňa 14.04.2016 o 8:47 Quentin Christensen napísal(a):

Hi everyone,



NV Access is very pleased to announce the release of “Basic Training for
NVDA”. This eBook is the first module in the official set of training
materials for learning to use the free NVDA screen reader.



Available now from:
http://www.nvaccess.org/product/basic-training-for-nvda-ebook/



This eBook is suitable for the new and existing user wishing to improve
proficiency.



Topics covered include: Getting started with NVDA and Windows, basic
configuration, writing and editing text, document formatting, file
management, multi-tasking, browsing the web, using the review cursor and
object navigation.



The purchase price of this product supports the work of NV Access and our
ability to provide the NVDA screen reading software free of charge.



Initially the material is available as downloadable electronic text. We are

working on audio and braille formats which will be available in due course.



Kind regards







--

Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer
www.nvaccess.org <http://www.nvaccess.org/>

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess
Twitter: @NVAccess









--

Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer
Ph <tel:%2B61%207%203149%203306> +61 7 3149 3306

Direct: +61 413 904 383
<http://www.nvaccess.org/> www.nvaccess.org
Facebook: <http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess>
http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess
Twitter: @NVAccess








--
Warm Regards
Bhavya Shah
Using NVDA (Non Visual Desktop Access) free and open source screen
reader for Microsoft Windows
To download a copy of the free screen reader NVDA, please visit
http://www.nvaccess.org/
Using Google Talkback on Motorolla G second generation Lollipop 5.0.2
Reach me through the following means:
Mobile: +91 7506221750
E-mail id: bhavya.shah125@...
Skype id : bhavya.09


NVDA reading single numbers!

Mailing Lists
 

Hi All,

I was just wondering again today if it is still not possible for NVDA to read numbers in groups. I mean like having it read telephone numbers in single digits rather than in a combined manner.
Is there any means yet to have this done within NVDA?.

Many thanks,

Paul.

speech viewer font size

Glen Walker
 

I like using the speech viewer when showing demos to sighted users.  However, the font is usually too small for a large conference room.  Is there a way to change the font used in the speech viewer?  On a longshot, I tried the browser shortcut Ctrl++ to increase the font size but it didn't work.


Re: Basic Training for NVDA - Official NVDA training material now available!

Angela Delicata
 

Hi,
It is a wonderful idea and hope it will be useful to many.
As for me, being in English only, I don't think my knowledge of technical terminology is sufficient to understand it well.
I mean, I find technology hard to grasp, you can imagine in another language how difficult it can be.
So, I really hope someone would translate it into Italian also.
Thank you.
Angela from Italy

Il 14/04/2016 17:46, Bhavya shah ha scritto:
Hi Quentin,
From the sample, it seems very well written and practically
interactive, which should really help.
Most prominently though, I found the pricing very impartial and
mutually acceptible, as although I may not be able to purchase this
even to support NVDA due to not being a working person myself, but a
friend of mine is trying to learn and figure out using a computer with
NVDA, and my guidance significantly limited due to my own academic
constraints are not sufficient, I am pretty sure he would be willing
to purchase this e-book.
I will forward this announcement release to other platforms too, so
maximum people interested to begin using NVDA even as a transition can
efficiently do so.
Thanks.

On 4/14/16, Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...> wrote:
I think what is needed here is another donate page for the countries where
the cost is going to be difficult to obtain due to local government
policies or sheer poverty. I'm sure some of us would do a separate donation

for this if we were assured somebody was administering it for the needy in a

reliable way. I've been involved before in so called charity giving with
middle men and have usually ended up wondering who nicked the momey!

any thoughts?
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Christo Vorster" <christo.vorster@...>
To: <nvda@groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2016 9:23 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Basic Training for NVDA - Official NVDA training
material now available!


Hi Quentin



Before I throw you a curve ball, a bit of background.



I am employed by the Institute for the Blind in Worcester, South Africa. I
am involved in training adult blind persons, mostly from our so-called
“previously disadvantaged” communities. These people, under normal
circumstances receive a state grant of, if I convert it to Australian dollar

at a rate of ten to one, fourteen dollar.



Our institution is usually obliged to write off their study costs. So what I

am driving at, is to ask whether it might be possible to obtain a copy of
the training material at a discount or, at best, free of charge.



I understand that the development of NVDA doesn’t come cheep, and I, as a
blind person myself, genuinely appreciate what is done. To my mind NVDA is
probably the best speech program available. I don’t just say this because it

is the correct thing to do, this is my true opinion.



Please don’t feel that it is your duty to give us the material for free, or

at a discount, I am just enquiring.



Thanks again for everything that you, and whoever else, do to provide the
blind community, world wide, with this brilliant package.



Best wishes for the further development and regards



Christo Vorster, South Africa

From: Quentin Christensen [mailto:quentin@...]
Sent: Thursday, 14 April 2016 9:45 AM
To: nvda@groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Basic Training for NVDA - Official NVDA training
material now available!



Hi Ondrej,



A very good question. It is something that's come up in discussion. As you

note, it is a lot of work to translate and we do very much appreciate the
work that you are already doing.



The priority to date has been getting the material released electronically
initially. Now that is done we are working to make it available in audio
and braille (in English) and also setting up the certification exam.



We will definitely look at the question of translation although to start
with we don't want to put any extra on your shoulders just yet.



Kind regards



Quentin.



On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 5:19 PM, Ondrej Rosik <ondrej.rosik@...>
wrote:

Hi,
Very interesting. My question: would it be possible to translate it to other

languages? I am translating NVDA to Slovak, so I can imagine that translator

volunteers theoretically should translate this document to their language. I

realize, that it is som much work and It may take more time. Do you plan
this?



Dňa 14.04.2016 o 8:47 Quentin Christensen napísal(a):

Hi everyone,



NV Access is very pleased to announce the release of “Basic Training for
NVDA”. This eBook is the first module in the official set of training
materials for learning to use the free NVDA screen reader.



Available now from:
http://www.nvaccess.org/product/basic-training-for-nvda-ebook/



This eBook is suitable for the new and existing user wishing to improve
proficiency.



Topics covered include: Getting started with NVDA and Windows, basic
configuration, writing and editing text, document formatting, file
management, multi-tasking, browsing the web, using the review cursor and
object navigation.



The purchase price of this product supports the work of NV Access and our
ability to provide the NVDA screen reading software free of charge.



Initially the material is available as downloadable electronic text. We are

working on audio and braille formats which will be available in due course.



Kind regards







--

Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer
www.nvaccess.org <http://www.nvaccess.org/>

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess
Twitter: @NVAccess









--

Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer
Ph <tel:%2B61%207%203149%203306> +61 7 3149 3306

Direct: +61 413 904 383
<http://www.nvaccess.org/> www.nvaccess.org
Facebook: <http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess>
http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess
Twitter: @NVAccess







---
Questa e-mail è stata controllata per individuare virus con Avast antivirus.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

Re: Important news: Basic NvDA training ebook now available #NVAccess

Bhavya shah
 

Hi Ravi,
The audiobook version of this training module is yet to be published
or released. Currently, only the textual ebook is available for
purchase.
Thanks.

On 4/14/16, Ravi Paswan <ravipaswan32@...> wrote:
please also provide me a link in audio.



--
Warm Regards
Bhavya Shah
Using NVDA (Non Visual Desktop Access) free and open source screen
reader for Microsoft Windows
To download a copy of the free screen reader NVDA, please visit
http://www.nvaccess.org/
Using Google Talkback on Motorolla G second generation Lollipop 5.0.2
Reach me through the following means:
Mobile: +91 7506221750
E-mail id: bhavya.shah125@...
Skype id : bhavya.09

Re: Important news: Basic NvDA training ebook now available #NVAccess

Ravi Paswan <ravipaswan32@...>
 

please also provide me a link in audio.

Re: Basic Training for NVDA - Official NVDA training material now available!

erik burggraaf <erik@...>
 

I think one donation page is enough myself.  Recognizing that there always have been very advantaged and very disadvantaged people in all societies and in all times and places, and that everyone should be concerned with bridging the gap,  Charging for extra training materials is a common means of supporting open source projects.  NVDA, being in the new paradigm, needs to succeed or fail according to standards and best practices, just like any other business operating on the same model.  There's a manual and it's free.  Not just anyone can make full use of a manual, and that's why there are  extra training resources that you can pay for if you need them.  Even at that, coolblindtech has 5 pages of podcasts devoted to various aspects of using NVDA and any one can come along and render their own from the manual, other resources, and personal experience if they have the time and talent.  So, much as I would like to see every one get access to the new ebook, I think charging educational price for it is the right thing to do.  30 bucks unfortunately puts it out of reach for some users but it should be possible to fund these textbook purchases either by grants or donations are something outside of the NVDA project.

Best,

Erik Burggraaf


On Apr 14, 2016, at 11:02 AM, Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...> wrote:

I think what is needed here is another donate page for the countries where the cost is going to be difficult to  obtain due to local government policies or sheer poverty. I'm sure some of us would do a separate donation for this if we were assured somebody was administering it for the needy in a reliable way. I've been involved before in so called charity giving with middle men and have usually ended up wondering who nicked the momey!

any thoughts?
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Christo Vorster" <christo.vorster@...>
To: <nvda@groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2016 9:23 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Basic Training for NVDA - Official NVDA training material now available!


Hi Quentin



Before I throw you a curve ball, a bit of background.



I am employed by the Institute for the Blind in Worcester, South Africa. I am involved in training adult blind persons, mostly from our so-called “previously disadvantaged” communities. These people, under normal circumstances receive a state grant of, if I convert it to Australian dollar at a rate of ten to one, fourteen dollar.



Our institution is usually obliged to write off their study costs. So what I am driving at, is to ask whether it might be possible to obtain a copy of the training material at a discount or, at best, free of charge.



I understand that the development of NVDA doesn’t come cheep, and I, as a blind person myself, genuinely appreciate what is done. To my mind NVDA is probably the best speech program available. I don’t just say this because it is the correct thing to do, this is my true opinion.



Please don’t feel that it is your duty to give us the material for free, or at a discount, I am just enquiring.



Thanks again for everything that you, and whoever else, do to provide the blind community, world wide, with this brilliant package.



Best wishes for the further development and regards



Christo Vorster, South Africa

From: Quentin Christensen [mailto:quentin@...]
Sent: Thursday, 14 April 2016 9:45 AM
To: nvda@groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Basic Training for NVDA - Official NVDA training material now available!



Hi Ondrej,



A very good question.  It is something that's come up in discussion.  As you note, it is a lot of work to translate and we do very much appreciate the work that you are already doing.



The priority to date has been getting the material released electronically initially.  Now that is done we are working to make it available in audio and braille (in English) and also setting up the certification exam.



We will definitely look at the question of translation although to start with we don't want to put any extra on your shoulders just yet.



Kind regards



Quentin.



On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 5:19 PM, Ondrej Rosik <ondrej.rosik@...> wrote:

Hi,
Very interesting. My question: would it be possible to translate it to other languages? I am translating NVDA to Slovak, so I can imagine that translator volunteers theoretically should translate this document to their language. I realize, that it is som much work and It may take more time. Do you plan this?



Dňa 14.04.2016 o 8:47 Quentin Christensen napísal(a):

Hi everyone,



NV Access is very pleased to announce the release of “Basic Training for NVDA”.  This eBook is the first module in the official set of training materials for learning to use the free NVDA screen reader.



Available now from: http://www.nvaccess.org/product/basic-training-for-nvda-ebook/



This eBook is suitable for the new and existing user wishing to improve proficiency.



Topics covered include: Getting started with NVDA and Windows, basic configuration, writing and editing text, document formatting, file management, multi-tasking, browsing the web, using the review cursor and object navigation.



The purchase price of this product supports the work of NV Access and our ability to provide the NVDA screen reading software free of charge.



Initially the material is available as downloadable electronic text.  We are working on audio and braille formats which will be available in due course.



Kind regards







--

Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer
www.nvaccess.org <http://www.nvaccess.org/>

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess
Twitter: @NVAccess









--

Quentin Christensen
Training Material Developer
Ph  <tel:%2B61%207%203149%203306> +61 7 3149 3306

Direct: +61 413 904 383
<http://www.nvaccess.org/> www.nvaccess.org
Facebook:  <http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess> http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess
Twitter: @NVAccess








Re: nvda and react os

Pete <emac00@...>
 

OK, react o s has an on screen key board.

On 4/11/2016 9:32 PM, Shaun Everiss wrote:
Well it would be good if react os would become accessible.
One thing that is a driving force for me is it will run windows programs and therefore games and screen readers probably though thats not the only thing.
With the rise of ms own account system, and later oses such as windows 8x and 10 a lot of things we have taken for granted are on the move or going out.
The desktop app is on the way out, and while I know those of us that have embraced cross platform and touch tablets are round and getting more commenplace there are still those I'd imagine like me that have never changed.
I for example would still be quite happy with an xp like interface, or a win7 like interface for windows and office and everything else without the crazy ribbon system wishfull as it currently is.
And in some way being I came round the time dos was still king I sometimes want to return to the simple times where your os was just a basic crappy box where you shoved apps on.
As it is, I have used the desktop so much the cloud and all the online apps are something I have never been born into and I see no reason bar the obvious why I would want to change now.
In fact I see no reason from a user standpoint for what I do to even upgrade from xp though I do like the newer 7 interface.
As an os a windows 10 core is nice but even so I see no need for the extra features.
At the same time I wouldn't mind staying with a windows like os, as while yes there is linux I have to deal with windows and windows is what I grew up mostly with.
Its why I have a simbian cell now and will for some time.
And its probably why I have windows 7 and others in my immediate family will for the future do also.
Every time I try to get the nerve to upgrade I and my family have found it harder and harder to upgrade an os.
windows 3x to 95 was a no brainer.
as was 95 to 98 and then from 98 to xp.
But that is where it stuck, I saw no need to go vista.
And if xp hadn't gone out of support I wouldn't have left that.
I am happy I went to 7 though.
However yet again another sticking point, I see no need to ever upgrade again.
And with my dad retiring at the end of next month, the drive to have the latest legal office program and latest legal os is greatly diminished.
Now thats not going to mean I won't upgrade, or that I will pirate the next windows and office but its going to get just that bit harder to move on to use something I wouldn't ever need.
Even if its true I would probably be fine with it afterward.
Now if I could buy an os core and use whatever interface I want and whatever feature set and take bits and bobs of both it wouldn't matter a dime but I have to take it or leave it and that really starts to put me in a position especially now my funds will be more reduced.
Its going to become a have to rather than like to.
Or to put it another way, a if it works and I don't loose my data then I won't.
But like all things react os may never get there.



On 12/04/2016 11:18 a.m., Pete wrote:

Hi
I keep checking on the react os project. It is up 04.40 now.
So far in accessibility they came up with a built in magnifier and
looks like some kind of access wizard.
I think they need blind computer users to show an interest in it. May
be they will get it accessible.
The read me is belo.
---
========================
ReactOS™ Version 0.4.x
Updated January 5, 2016
========================

1. What is ReactOS?
-------------------

ReactOS™ is an Open Source effort to develop a quality operating system
that is
compatible with applications and drivers written for the Microsoft®
Windows™ NT
family of operating systems (NT4, 2000, XP, 2003, Vista, Seven).

More information is available at: http://www.reactos.org


2. Relationship with the WINE project
-------------------------------------

ReactOS has always intended to work with the WINE project to share as much
programming effort as possible. This mainly concerns User Mode DLLs and
still happens to a degree today. Other areas of cooperation lie in
applications and testing suites.


3. Future compatibility
-----------------------

The ReactOS project, although currently focused on Windows Server 2003
compatibility, is always keeping an eye toward compatibility with
Windows Vista and future Windows NT releases.


4. Supporting other System Applications
---------------------------------------

The Windows NT architecture allows for subsystems, as does the ReactOS
architecture. A subsystem is an implementation of the APIs of another
operating system, allowing ReactOS to run applications from other systems.
We are already looking at subsystems for: Java, OS/2, and DOS and possibly
others in the future.


5. Tutorials
------------

Developer and User Tutorials: http://www.reactos.org/wiki

The tutorials contain more information on the project, compiling and
testing
ReactOS - amongst other topics. Contributors to the project are always
welcome.


6. Author
---------

This document was written by Jason Filby (jasonfilby@...).

---
Thanks!
Pete



.

Re: Where does NVDA save its setting about running in login screens?

Chris Mullins
 

If you are at the log-on screen, there isn't necessarily a current user.
You may notice that when configuring NVDA, there is an option to set NVDA to
speak on the Log-on screen and this causes settings for this purpose to be
retained somewhere. When the log in screen is displayed, these settings are
used,then when you actually log into a user account, NVDA restarts using
the specific user settings.I suspect it's the location of these "log-on"
settings that Simon is seeking.

Cheers
Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian's Mail list account [mailto:bglists@...]
Sent: 14 April 2016 16:05
To: nvda@groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Where does NVDA save its setting about running in login
screens?

Are you looking for the location itself or how to make it save it. I'd
imagine as its a system setting on the current user, it is in that users
settings which are not always available for the user to fiddle with
depending on if they are an admin or not.
There is a button in the general settings and this will warn you if it
thinks there is a possible issue, such as uncertified add ons etc.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Eigeldinger Simon" <simon.eigeldinger@...>
To: <nvda@groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2016 10:15 AM
Subject: [nvda] Where does NVDA save its setting about running in login
screens?


Hi all,

Where does NVDA save its setting about using NVDA in secure destkops and
windows login screen?

Thanks and greetings,
simon

Re: NVDACon 2016/Tenth Anniversary Edition, Thursday, 21 April 2016 #cal-reminder

Bhavya shah
 

Hi Irlanda,
The full conference schedule with sessions and timings listed is
available on the NVDACon homepage at
http://www.nvda-kr.org/en/nvdacon.php
All the same, for your and others' convenience and reference, below is
copied the same:
• Date: April 22, 23, 29 and 30, 2016
• Location: NVDA Korea TeamTalk Server (see above section for details).
• Sessions (rooms in parentheses, all times are UTC):
◦ April 22, 2016
1. Conference opener and user open forum (Entrance Hall): 00:00 UTC
2. Lightning Talk I (Community): 17:00 UTC
1. Dictation Bridge: Lucy Greco, Pranav Lal (Dictation Bridge)
2. Mozilla's collaboration in NVDA development: Marco Zehe (Mozilla Foundation)
3. F123 Access (Accessibility): 20:00 UTC (presenter: Fernando Botelho)
◦ April 23, 2016:
1. NVDA and employment (Accessibility): 14:00 UTC (presenters: Dave
Williams and Sean Randall)
2. Add-ons festival (various add-on authors and users)
3. Additional sessions related to add-ons
◦ April 29, 2016:
1. NVDA 101 for users of other screen readers (Google): 00:00 UTC
(host: Joseph Lee)
2. NVDA and math (Community): 14:00 UTC (presenter: Derek Riemer/TBA)
3. Lightning Talk II (Community): 17:00 UTC
1. Global and online NVDA communities: Joseph Lee (NVDA contributor)
2. NVDA's braille features and support: Davy Kager (LibLouis and NVDA
contributor)
4. NVDA 101 for beginners (Google): TBD
5. Additional sessions
◦ April 30, 2016:
1. Keynote presentation (Keynote Auditorium): 00:00 UTC (speakers:
Michael Curran and James Teh (NV Access))
2. Closing forum and testimonials (Entrance Hall): 16:00 UTC

In case you have further concerns or enquiries about the conference,
please feel free to let me and other listers and conference organizers
know.
Thanks.

On 4/14/16, Irlanda Hernandez <sisterbear80@...> wrote:
Hi I have a question. What time is the conference at? Thanks,
and Take care. May the love and peace of God be with you.



--
Warm Regards
Bhavya Shah
Using NVDA (Non Visual Desktop Access) free and open source screen
reader for Microsoft Windows
To download a copy of the free screen reader NVDA, please visit
http://www.nvaccess.org/
Using Google Talkback on Motorolla G second generation Lollipop 5.0.2
Reach me through the following means:
Mobile: +91 7506221750
E-mail id: bhavya.shah125@...
Skype id : bhavya.09