Date   

Re: Unable to Install NVDA 17.3 on HP laptop

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>
 

Blame Windows silly screens that need admin rights to read their messages. In my opinion, for access the message thrown up by this window should be accessible, after all its no security risk unless you get at the code that sent it. seems stupid.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Akbar S. Currim" <raahzam@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Tuesday, September 05, 2017 4:22 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Unable to Install NVDA 17.3 on HP laptop


You are brilliant. Being unable to install even from a portable copy
I asked my sighted son to take a look at it. Apparently a window was
opening which was completely inaccessible which was asking to confirm
to allow to install the programme which I was not aware of. When he
(my son) clicked to allow it and then the installation went through
without a hitch.

Thanks to all and sorry for the bother.

Akbar


On 9/2/17, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io
<bglists=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
It could just be that something like an anti virus has updated since the old

install and also it could be that new code in the latest nvda is only now
falling foul of malware filtering. Normally such programs would tell you
though, unless its a message which is inaccessible of course.

It would really need a sighted person with hands on the machine to solve it

I think. Its going to be something really annoyingly simple I'm sure.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message -----
From: "nasrin khaksar" <nasrinkhaksar3@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Friday, September 01, 2017 3:26 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Unable to Install NVDA 17.3 on HP laptop


hello.
did you try nvda without eloquence?
by default, it only has espeak and i dont think that the problem
relates to eloquence.

also, system requirements for nvda 17.2 and 17.3 are the same.


On 9/1/17, Akbar S. Currim <raahzam@gmail.com> wrote:
The Eloquence which I have is quite recent and it is also installed on
my second laptop on which I had no problem updating. The "alt-tab"
method has tried by me several times and makes no difference.
Besides, when the updated version of NVDA finishes downloading it
automatically says that the download is complete and it will now
update the existing version of NVDA. with the negative result already
explained So I think I will just go ahead and make a portable version
from my proper working NVDA from my second laptop and install it from
there. I have not had any time as yet to do that but maybe I will get
down to doing it over the weekend.
Thanks,
Akbar



On 9/1/17, Gene <gsasner@ripco.com> wrote:
I said entity because I have no idea who owns it now. It's probably a
company but since I didn't know, I said entity.

Gene


From: Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, August 31, 2017 1:31 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Unable to Install NVDA 17.3 on HP laptop


Well entity?
It sounds exactly like it even to the lisp!
I got mine on an old cd called Home Page reader by IBM it was a
freebie.
Goes back a very long way!

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Gene" <gsasner@ripco.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, August 31, 2017 12:12 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Unable to Install NVDA 17.3 on HP laptop


Via Voice isn't Eloquence. it is similar in sound and performance, but
it
isn't the same program and isn't owned by the same entity.

Gene
----- Original Message -----

From: Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, August 31, 2017 5:05 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Unable to Install NVDA 17.3 on HP laptop


I've not noticed this on any of the legal Eloquence drivers, even the
old
sapi 4 one called via voice. I agree that old hacked one was rubbish
but
anyone using that still would probably have no hair left by now.
smiley.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Austin Pinto" <austinpinto.xaviers@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, August 31, 2017 9:05 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Unable to Install NVDA 17.3 on HP laptop


hi.
this may be caused by an old version of elequence.
before you update switch to espeak then upgrade and then switch back.
also do a restart of your laptop.
i dont mean shutdown and restart.
i mean a full restart.

On 8/31/17, Shaun Everiss <sm.everiss@gmail.com> wrote:

Hmmm did you try to alt tab a few times.

Sometimes I get a uac prompt, usually it pops up but if I for example
have more than a couple windows open then it may be hidden.

The trick is to know how long something should take to download and
if
you heard the completed sound or think it should be well should be,
then
you need to alt tab.

On the other hand, the other way you can handle this is download the
main exe file, close everything window wise and run that.



On 31/08/2017 6:39 p.m., Akbar S. Currim wrote:
I retried the update with the same result and installation failed.
The update downloaded fine and then stated that my existing copy
would
be updated and asked me to click OK which I did. After that I keep
getting a message saying "please wait-your existing copy of NVDA is
being updated" and this goes on repeating with simultaneous beeps
indefinitely untill finally it says that the update installation
failed. How do I get over this problem? Should I remove the
existing
copy of NVDA and install a fresh copy from scratch?

Alternatively, is it possible to make a portable copy from my other
laptop which has a proper working version and try to reinstall from
that? In that case if it is possible, then I would be spared from
reconfiguring NVDA all over again to suit my needs.
Thanks,
Akbar


On 8/29/17, Akbar S. Currim <raahzam@gmail.com> wrote:
I got no such notification on either of the laptops. Anyway I will
try your suggestion tomorrow as I am travelling now. Will get back
to
you after that with the result.

Thanks,

Akbar

On 8/29/17, Quentin Christensen <quentin@nvaccess.org> wrote:
When you go to install a program, Windows pops up a dialog
advising
that
you are about to change the system and you need to accept that
before
you
can install the program. Sometimes this dialog appears behind
other
windows. In that case, you may need to alt+tab to it if it
doesn't
seem
to
appear.

That is usually the reason for this kind of problem.

Regards

Quentin.

On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 5:09 PM, Akbar S. Currim
<raahzam@gmail.com>
wrote:

Hi,

I tried to install NVDA17.3 on my HP laptop and although I could
download the new version without any difficulty and also after
clicking to install it when I got the message to do so the
configuring
progress went on and on for at least 20 minutes and after that I
got
an error message saying that the installation failed. I tried
the
same thing three times with the same result. Could someone
please
enlighten me as to what is happening and how I could remedy the
same.

Incidentally I had no problem updating NVDA on my second laptop
which
is an Asus. Both laptops are running Win 10 duly updated to the
latest version. On the second laptop the installation took only
a
few
minutes and there was no problem at all.

I give below the log I received for the installation failure.
Any
help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and regards,

Akbar

Log for failure:
INFO - __main__ (10:41:42.874):
Starting NVDA
INFO - core.main (10:41:43.140):
Config dir: C:\Users\Akbar\AppData\Roaming\nvda
INFO - config.ConfigManager._loadConfig (10:41:43.140):
Loading config: C:\Users\Akbar\AppData\Roaming\nvda\nvda.ini
INFO - core.main (10:41:43.154):
NVDA version 2017.3
INFO - core.main (10:41:43.154):
Using Windows version 10.0.15063 workstation
INFO - core.main (10:41:43.154):
Using Python version 2.7.13 (v2.7.13:a06454b1afa1, Dec 17 2016,
20:42:59) [MSC v.1500 32 bit (Intel)]
INFO - core.main (10:41:43.154):
Using comtypes version 0.6.2
INFO - synthDriverHandler.setSynth (10:41:43.940):
Loaded synthDriver eloquence
INFO - core.main (10:41:43.940):
Using wx version 3.0.2.0 msw (classic)
INFO - brailleInput.initialize (10:41:43.940):
Braille input initialized
INFO - braille.initialize (10:41:43.940):
Using liblouis version 3.2.0
INFO - braille.BrailleHandler.setDisplayByName (10:41:43.940):
Loaded braille display driver noBraille, current display has 0
cells.
WARNING - core.main (10:41:43.994):
Java Access Bridge not available
INFO - _UIAHandler.UIAHandler.MTAThreadFunc (10:41:43.994):
UIAutomation: IUIAutomation3
INFO - core.main (10:41:45.861):
NVDA initialized
ERROR - gui.installerGui.doInstall (11:26:41.197):
Failed to execute installer
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "gui\installerGui.pyo", line 32, in doInstall
File "config\__init__.pyo", line 182, in execElevated
File "shellapi.pyo", line 42, in ShellExecuteEx
WindowsError: [Error 1223] The operation was canceled by the
user.
ERROR - gui.installerGui.doInstall (11:26:41.198):
Installation failed: [Error 1223] The operation was canceled by
the
user.



--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Basic Training for NVDA & Microsoft Word with NVDA E-Books now
available:
http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Ph +61 7 3149 3306
www.nvaccess.org
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess
Twitter: @NVAccess


.




--
search for me on facebook, google+, orkut..
austinpinto.xaviers@gmail.com
follow me on twitter.
austinmpinto
contact me on skype.
austin.pinto3










--
we have not sent you but as a mercy to the creation.
holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
imam hosein is the beacon of light and the ark of salvation.
best website for studying islamic book in different languages
al-islam.org






Re: Github

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>
 

Hmm, well I found it a little like if I were going there, I'd not start from here. I reckon I have a good grasp of English and am not dumb, but...
I'll just ignore what I don't understand, but i still wish it would return emails gto me when i alter an issue instead of hiding it.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sarah k Alawami" <marrie12@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Tuesday, September 05, 2017 5:54 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Github


I don't code but I understood github's terms after reading through their manual and about 5 minutes of thinking about it. It actually makes sense.
On Sep 5, 2017, at 2:50 AM, Patrick ZAJDA via Groups.Io <patrick=zajda.fr@groups.io> wrote:

Hi Brian,

You surely won't be surprised if I say you suppose right about "fork".
It is another repos which is a copy of the main one. In this repository
you make your modifications and open you pull request for commiters to
pull your modifications to the main NVDA code.

Don't give up :) sure there might be some confusing things but nothing
impossible to understand.


Patrick



Le 04/09/2017 à 18:11, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io a écrit :
I think I'll give up while I'm losing. and I assume you mean its only a
fork cos its a fork off the main run of the code development.

Not a fork as in eating your dinner.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Patrick ZAJDA via Groups.Io"
<patrick=zajda.fr@groups.io>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Monday, September 04, 2017 11:40 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Github


Hi Brian,

It is a pull because the code is pulled from a fork.

Patrick

Le 04/09/2017 à 10:47, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io a écrit :
So why is it called a pull not a push?
Seems logical to me. :-)
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Patrick ZAJDA via Groups.Io"
<patrick=zajda.fr@groups.io>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, September 03, 2017 2:47 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Github


Hi Gene,

Pull requests are code contribution from another Github repos.
You fork the NVDA git repos on your Github account, make your code
contribution then submit it by creating a pull request.

It facilitates code merging.

Patrick

Le 03/09/2017 à 15:28, Gene a écrit :
What are pull requests?

Gene
----- Original Message -----
*From:* Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io
<mailto:bglists=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io>
*Sent:* Sunday, September 03, 2017 7:15 AM
*To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
*Subject:* Re: [nvda] Github

I asked this some time ago, and Jamie sent me some stuff. There is now a
new
issues link and also a search field, but I've never found the search
to be
very intuitive and I suspect this is why so many duplicate issues get
filed.

Quinton sent me this also.
https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues -
there is a search edit on that page you can type your query in to see if
there's an existing issue (open or closed, though note it will only show
open issues at first by default) which deals with what you are looking
for.

To post a new issue, there should be a "new issue" button on most pages.
Activating that will take you here:
https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/new with the main components
being
a title edit and a "leave a comment" edit where you can describe your
issue
in detail.


However recently some guidelines are now in there for fields that prompt
you
to give useful information as well.

One thing that I do not like about it is that it does not send an
email to
you even if you are subscribed to its list, you only see others
comments.
However when you reply via email, you really do need to edit off quoted
stuff as otherwise looking at the issue on line gets very confused. I
occasionally forget myself. Also, it won't send you back these emails
either.
I am not sure who came up with this rule but its bonkers if you use the
email list to know where you are, as to see your own comments you
either
need to find it in your own sent folder or go to the website.
Anyway, I've had my say.
Problems? Well...
The biggest issue I had was creating the account in the first place and
getting past all the stuff that is just not relevant.


You can attach files, but thus far I've not made this work!
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk <mailto:bglists@blueyonder.co.uk>
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk <mailto:briang1@blueyonder.co.uk>, putting
'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Gene" <gsasner@ripco.com <mailto:gsasner@ripco.com>>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>>
Sent: Sunday, September 03, 2017 12:34 PM
Subject: [nvda] Github


I just looked at the Github NVDA part of the site. I haven't signed
up yet
but it looks easy to do so and to create a pull request, which I
assume is
what is generally referred to on this list as a ticket. But many people
may
find the page confusing. Is there a way that some sort of short help
information can be inserted after the navigation links on the page,
instructing people what to do to create what are called tickets, perhaps
also how to search for tickets and how to create an account? If tickets
are
desired from the widest variety of users, this process should be somehow
explained and done so in a place that those wishing to create tickets
will
be likely to see the explanation.

Gene












Bugzilla

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>
 

As some people here have been very helpful explaining how github sort of does things, I wonder if anyone has had experience of The Mozilla Bugzilla system?
I reported the flaky focus at start up in the beta of 56 but today there have been a little flurry of emails from that report, which are not exactly easy to understand. I'm managed to see that one says 55 is ok and its 56 and 57 that appear to have the issue, but there are others with complete gibberish from my point of view. It says do not reply to the emails so I suppose e I need to watch for some recognised word like closed or fixed before I try another beta then?
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.


Re: [NVDA stopping Outlook 2016

Sarah k Alawami
 

I use apple mail and sometimes I have 5 views each with different folders open as often I forget what I'm doing or I'm at work doing my small business. It's cool but a resource hog if you are not careful.

On Sep 4, 2017, at 9:04 AM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

How important is opening multiple folders?  To my knowledge, I've never used a program that allows me to have to, three, or more folders opened.  Many e-mail programs allow you to see all messages aggregated from the same folder in different accounts.  For example, if you want to see all inbox messages from every inbox folder in your machine and you have three accounts, there is an aggregate folder that shows all inbox messages in one place.  
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
From: slery
Sent: Sunday, September 03, 2017 11:16 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] [NVDA stopping Outlook 2016

I have this problem constantly. It is so bad now that I cannot use any
folder other than the one that is open.

For another problem, my computer was recently reset (office 365 and NVDA
were both among the programs reinstalled. This reset has allowed my
computer to finally get creators update (1703)). The problem with Outlook
is at it's worst.
Cindy


On August 30, 2017 1:21:20 AM "laura cornwell" <cornwelll627@...> wrote:

> Well  I am having the same trouble   and I don't know where this could
> be coming from  I would also like to know  now when I use the screen
> reader that
>
>
> comes with Windows  outlook works fine. all the best to fixing this
> trouble.    On 8/25/2017 5:31 AM, Chris Mullins wrote:
>> I have Outlook 2007 and it works fine with NVDA until I try to read the
>> status bar using NVDA+end when Outlook stops working and I have to restart
>> it.  This has occurred in quite a few versions of NVDA up to 17.2.  I'm not
>> saying it's an NVDA problem, it may be something to do with the interaction
>> between the information exposed by Outlook and how NVDA obtains it whichh
>> causes it.  I doubt MS would do anything  to solve it, so I just avoid
>> using that keystroke.
>>
>> Cheers#
>>
>> Chris
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of
>> Cearbhall O'Meadhra
>> Sent: 25 August 2017 10:02
>> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
>> Subject: Re: [nvda] [NVDA stopping Outlook 2016
>>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I am running Outlook 2016 on Windows 10 with the latest update of NVDA.
>>
>> Over the past month, I have found that outlook stops and runs out of time
>> almost every time (four times a day) that I check my emails. I notice the
>> problem particularly when I try to swap between folders. This generates the
>> message that Outlook has stopped working and will close. Today, I
>> downloaded the newest update of NVDA and yet the problem is still persisting.
>>
>> I unloaded NVDA and brought up JAWS. With JAWS running I am able to swap
>> between folders without any delay so I am convinced that NDA is causing the
>> problem.
>>
>> Before loading JAWS, I had a very full outlook .pst file and reduced that
>> from 1.2g to 200mb. I have no addins so that can't be the cause.
>> Has anyone experienced this problem? Is there a known solution?
>>
>>
>> I would really value a response as I much prefer to use NVDA rather than JAWS!
>>
>> All the best,
>>
>> Cearbhall
>>
>> m +353 (0)833323487 Ph: _353 (0)1-2864623 e: cearbhall.omeadhra@...
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
> 
>






Re: Github

Sarah k Alawami
 

I don't code but I understood github's terms after reading through their manual and about 5 minutes of thinking about it. It actually makes sense.

On Sep 5, 2017, at 2:50 AM, Patrick ZAJDA via Groups.Io <patrick@...> wrote:

Hi Brian,

You surely won't be surprised if I say you suppose right about "fork".
It is another repos which is a copy of the main one. In this repository
you make your modifications and open you pull request for commiters to
pull your modifications to the main NVDA code.

Don't give up :) sure there might be some confusing things but nothing
impossible to understand.


Patrick



Le 04/09/2017 à 18:11, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io a écrit :
I think I'll give up while I'm losing. and I assume you mean its only a
fork cos its a fork off the main run of the code development.

Not a fork as in eating your dinner.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Patrick ZAJDA via Groups.Io"
<patrick@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Monday, September 04, 2017 11:40 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Github


Hi Brian,

It is a pull because the code is pulled from a fork.

Patrick

Le 04/09/2017 à 10:47, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io a écrit :
So why is it called a pull not a push?
Seems logical to me. :-)
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Patrick ZAJDA via Groups.Io"
<patrick@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, September 03, 2017 2:47 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Github


Hi Gene,

Pull requests are code contribution from another Github repos.
You fork the NVDA git repos on your Github account, make your code
contribution then submit it by creating a pull request.

It facilitates code merging.

Patrick

Le 03/09/2017 à 15:28, Gene a écrit :
What are pull requests?

Gene
----- Original Message -----
*From:* Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io
<mailto:bglists@...>
*Sent:* Sunday, September 03, 2017 7:15 AM
*To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
*Subject:* Re: [nvda] Github

I asked this some time ago, and Jamie sent me some stuff. There is now a
new
issues link and also a search field, but I've never found the search
to be
very intuitive and I suspect this is why so many duplicate issues get
filed.

Quinton sent me this also.
https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues -
there is a search edit on that page you can type your query in to see if
there's an existing issue (open or closed, though note it will only show
open issues at first by default) which deals with what you are looking
for.

To post a new issue, there should be a "new issue" button on most pages.
Activating that will take you here:
https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/new with the main components
being
a title edit and a "leave a comment" edit where you can describe your
issue
in detail.


However recently some guidelines are now in there for fields that prompt
you
to give useful information as well.

One thing that I do not like about it is that it does not send an
email to
you even if you are subscribed to its list, you only see others
comments.
However when you reply via email, you really do need to edit off quoted
stuff as otherwise looking at the issue on line gets very confused. I
occasionally forget myself. Also, it won't send you back these emails
either.
I am not sure who came up with this rule but its bonkers if you use the
email list to  know where you are, as to see your own comments you
either
need to find it in your own sent folder or go to the website.
Anyway, I've had my say.
Problems? Well...
The biggest issue I had was creating the account in the first place and
getting past all the stuff that is just not relevant.


You can attach files, but thus far I've not made this work!
Brian

bglists@... <mailto:bglists@...>
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@... <mailto:briang1@...>, putting
'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Gene" <gsasner@... <mailto:gsasner@...>>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>>
Sent: Sunday, September 03, 2017 12:34 PM
Subject: [nvda] Github


I just looked at the Github NVDA part of the site.  I haven't signed
up yet
but it looks easy to do so and to create a pull request, which I
assume is
what is generally referred to on this list as a ticket.  But many people
may
find the page confusing. Is there a way that some sort of short help
information can be inserted after the navigation links on the page,
instructing people what to do to create what are called tickets, perhaps
also how to search for tickets and how to create an account?  If tickets
are
desired from the widest variety of users, this process should be somehow
explained and done so in a place that those wishing to create tickets
will
be likely to see the explanation.

Gene



















Re: NVDA constantly repeating icons on the desktop

Sarah k Alawami
 

I'm also having that issue although it's not that bad. I think i my case though something's changing or installing or what not. I'm in the insider build so who  knows

On Sep 5, 2017, at 8:04 AM, Jessica D <jldail13@...> wrote:

Hi,
I’m having an interesting issue with NVDA 2017.3.
When on my desktop, if I don’t move, NVDA constantly repeats the name of the icon that currently has focus.
Is this normal?
 
 
Can anyone tell me how to fix it?
 
Thanks,
Jessica
 


Re: email and nvda

Tony Ballou
 

Hi,


Try Mozilla Thunderbird. Works with NVDA just fine and has everything you need.


Tony


On 9/3/2017 10:20 PM, slery wrote:

I am looking for a new email program (obviously needs to work with NVDA).

 

Must haves: work with gmail, work with multiple email accounts, open multiple folders at the same time

 

Thanks for any help. Outlook keeps crashing every time I try to open a second folder (or even just switch to a different folder within the same window).

Cindy



Re: weather plus addon

Don H
 

Sorry but when I try to download from the addon page it does nothing but give me a page of garbage on the screen


On 9/5/2017 11:15 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
All "official" NVDA add-ons, including Weather Plus, can be found on this page:  https://addons.nvda-project.org/index.en.html
--
Brian  Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1703, Build 15063  (dot level on request - it changes too often to keep in signature)

     The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement.  But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.

            Niels Bohr

 

 



Re: weather plus addon

 

All "official" NVDA add-ons, including Weather Plus, can be found on this page:  https://addons.nvda-project.org/index.en.html
--
Brian  Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1703, Build 15063  (dot level on request - it changes too often to keep in signature)

     The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement.  But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.

            Niels Bohr

 

 


weather plus addon

Don H
 

Would someone be so kind to repeat the link where you can download the latest version of the Weather plus addon

Thanks


Re: Unable to Install NVDA 17.3 on HP laptop

Akbar S. Currim <raahzam@...>
 

You are brilliant. Being unable to install even from a portable copy
I asked my sighted son to take a look at it. Apparently a window was
opening which was completely inaccessible which was asking to confirm
to allow to install the programme which I was not aware of. When he
(my son) clicked to allow it and then the installation went through
without a hitch.

Thanks to all and sorry for the bother.

Akbar


On 9/2/17, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io
<bglists=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
It could just be that something like an anti virus has updated since the old

install and also it could be that new code in the latest nvda is only now
falling foul of malware filtering. Normally such programs would tell you
though, unless its a message which is inaccessible of course.

It would really need a sighted person with hands on the machine to solve it

I think. Its going to be something really annoyingly simple I'm sure.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message -----
From: "nasrin khaksar" <nasrinkhaksar3@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Friday, September 01, 2017 3:26 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Unable to Install NVDA 17.3 on HP laptop


hello.
did you try nvda without eloquence?
by default, it only has espeak and i dont think that the problem
relates to eloquence.

also, system requirements for nvda 17.2 and 17.3 are the same.


On 9/1/17, Akbar S. Currim <raahzam@gmail.com> wrote:
The Eloquence which I have is quite recent and it is also installed on
my second laptop on which I had no problem updating. The "alt-tab"
method has tried by me several times and makes no difference.
Besides, when the updated version of NVDA finishes downloading it
automatically says that the download is complete and it will now
update the existing version of NVDA. with the negative result already
explained So I think I will just go ahead and make a portable version
from my proper working NVDA from my second laptop and install it from
there. I have not had any time as yet to do that but maybe I will get
down to doing it over the weekend.
Thanks,
Akbar



On 9/1/17, Gene <gsasner@ripco.com> wrote:
I said entity because I have no idea who owns it now. It's probably a
company but since I didn't know, I said entity.

Gene


From: Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, August 31, 2017 1:31 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Unable to Install NVDA 17.3 on HP laptop


Well entity?
It sounds exactly like it even to the lisp!
I got mine on an old cd called Home Page reader by IBM it was a
freebie.
Goes back a very long way!

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Gene" <gsasner@ripco.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, August 31, 2017 12:12 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Unable to Install NVDA 17.3 on HP laptop


Via Voice isn't Eloquence. it is similar in sound and performance, but
it
isn't the same program and isn't owned by the same entity.

Gene
----- Original Message -----

From: Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, August 31, 2017 5:05 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Unable to Install NVDA 17.3 on HP laptop


I've not noticed this on any of the legal Eloquence drivers, even the
old
sapi 4 one called via voice. I agree that old hacked one was rubbish
but
anyone using that still would probably have no hair left by now.
smiley.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Austin Pinto" <austinpinto.xaviers@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, August 31, 2017 9:05 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Unable to Install NVDA 17.3 on HP laptop


hi.
this may be caused by an old version of elequence.
before you update switch to espeak then upgrade and then switch back.
also do a restart of your laptop.
i dont mean shutdown and restart.
i mean a full restart.

On 8/31/17, Shaun Everiss <sm.everiss@gmail.com> wrote:

Hmmm did you try to alt tab a few times.

Sometimes I get a uac prompt, usually it pops up but if I for example
have more than a couple windows open then it may be hidden.

The trick is to know how long something should take to download and
if
you heard the completed sound or think it should be well should be,
then
you need to alt tab.

On the other hand, the other way you can handle this is download the
main exe file, close everything window wise and run that.



On 31/08/2017 6:39 p.m., Akbar S. Currim wrote:
I retried the update with the same result and installation failed.
The update downloaded fine and then stated that my existing copy
would
be updated and asked me to click OK which I did. After that I keep
getting a message saying "please wait-your existing copy of NVDA is
being updated" and this goes on repeating with simultaneous beeps
indefinitely untill finally it says that the update installation
failed. How do I get over this problem? Should I remove the
existing
copy of NVDA and install a fresh copy from scratch?

Alternatively, is it possible to make a portable copy from my other
laptop which has a proper working version and try to reinstall from
that? In that case if it is possible, then I would be spared from
reconfiguring NVDA all over again to suit my needs.
Thanks,
Akbar


On 8/29/17, Akbar S. Currim <raahzam@gmail.com> wrote:
I got no such notification on either of the laptops. Anyway I will
try your suggestion tomorrow as I am travelling now. Will get back
to
you after that with the result.

Thanks,

Akbar

On 8/29/17, Quentin Christensen <quentin@nvaccess.org> wrote:
When you go to install a program, Windows pops up a dialog
advising
that
you are about to change the system and you need to accept that
before
you
can install the program. Sometimes this dialog appears behind
other
windows. In that case, you may need to alt+tab to it if it
doesn't
seem
to
appear.

That is usually the reason for this kind of problem.

Regards

Quentin.

On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 5:09 PM, Akbar S. Currim
<raahzam@gmail.com>
wrote:

Hi,

I tried to install NVDA17.3 on my HP laptop and although I could
download the new version without any difficulty and also after
clicking to install it when I got the message to do so the
configuring
progress went on and on for at least 20 minutes and after that I
got
an error message saying that the installation failed. I tried
the
same thing three times with the same result. Could someone
please
enlighten me as to what is happening and how I could remedy the
same.

Incidentally I had no problem updating NVDA on my second laptop
which
is an Asus. Both laptops are running Win 10 duly updated to the
latest version. On the second laptop the installation took only
a
few
minutes and there was no problem at all.

I give below the log I received for the installation failure.
Any
help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and regards,

Akbar

Log for failure:
INFO - __main__ (10:41:42.874):
Starting NVDA
INFO - core.main (10:41:43.140):
Config dir: C:\Users\Akbar\AppData\Roaming\nvda
INFO - config.ConfigManager._loadConfig (10:41:43.140):
Loading config: C:\Users\Akbar\AppData\Roaming\nvda\nvda.ini
INFO - core.main (10:41:43.154):
NVDA version 2017.3
INFO - core.main (10:41:43.154):
Using Windows version 10.0.15063 workstation
INFO - core.main (10:41:43.154):
Using Python version 2.7.13 (v2.7.13:a06454b1afa1, Dec 17 2016,
20:42:59) [MSC v.1500 32 bit (Intel)]
INFO - core.main (10:41:43.154):
Using comtypes version 0.6.2
INFO - synthDriverHandler.setSynth (10:41:43.940):
Loaded synthDriver eloquence
INFO - core.main (10:41:43.940):
Using wx version 3.0.2.0 msw (classic)
INFO - brailleInput.initialize (10:41:43.940):
Braille input initialized
INFO - braille.initialize (10:41:43.940):
Using liblouis version 3.2.0
INFO - braille.BrailleHandler.setDisplayByName (10:41:43.940):
Loaded braille display driver noBraille, current display has 0
cells.
WARNING - core.main (10:41:43.994):
Java Access Bridge not available
INFO - _UIAHandler.UIAHandler.MTAThreadFunc (10:41:43.994):
UIAutomation: IUIAutomation3
INFO - core.main (10:41:45.861):
NVDA initialized
ERROR - gui.installerGui.doInstall (11:26:41.197):
Failed to execute installer
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "gui\installerGui.pyo", line 32, in doInstall
File "config\__init__.pyo", line 182, in execElevated
File "shellapi.pyo", line 42, in ShellExecuteEx
WindowsError: [Error 1223] The operation was canceled by the
user.
ERROR - gui.installerGui.doInstall (11:26:41.198):
Installation failed: [Error 1223] The operation was canceled by
the
user.



--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Basic Training for NVDA & Microsoft Word with NVDA E-Books now
available:
http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Ph +61 7 3149 3306
www.nvaccess.org
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess
Twitter: @NVAccess


.




--
search for me on facebook, google+, orkut..
austinpinto.xaviers@gmail.com
follow me on twitter.
austinmpinto
contact me on skype.
austin.pinto3










--
we have not sent you but as a mercy to the creation.
holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
imam hosein is the beacon of light and the ark of salvation.
best website for studying islamic book in different languages
al-islam.org






Re: one core voices

jazzyjennifer
 

yeah i knowtest teh lag too my self, when on the desk top. when using one letter navagation.


Weather Plus4.5 5.09.2017

Adriano Barbieri
 

Hi to every one,

I point out that there is a small update in extremis, will not be inserted in the change log:
* correct 2 strings in Russian and ukraine localization.
* Correct title in Check for upgrade window.
Derek, it is not necessary to update the link
Thanks

Cheers
Adriano


NVDA constantly repeating icons on the desktop

Jessica D <jldail13@...>
 

Hi,

I’m having an interesting issue with NVDA 2017.3.

When on my desktop, if I don’t move, NVDA constantly repeats the name of the icon that currently has focus.

Is this normal?

 

 

Can anyone tell me how to fix it?

 

Thanks,

Jessica

 


Windows 10 App Essentials 17.09.1 released #addonrelease

 

Hi all,

 

Windows 10 App Essentials 17.09.1 (dubbed Second Anniversary) is out, fixing a regression from 17.09, fixing several issues and absolutely requiring NVDA 2017.3:

https://github.com/josephsl/wintenApps/releases/tag/17.09.1

 

Cheers,

Joseph


Re: email and nvda

Gene
 

Don't providers give more than one address to users?  Why couldn't you have separate accounts, for different purposes using different addresses with the same provider?  Or as another solution, have different names you give as your display name for different purposes.  Then use display rules to send mmessages with one display name to one folder and with another display name to another.  The problem doesn't seem difficult to solve and using Outlook Express for some or perhaps many users introduces complications and annoyances.  I don't use Outlook Express but a very knowledgeable tech on another list I follow has seen enough people have problems with it that he recommends that only advanced users use the Windows 10 version.  And I've seen long discussions from a few users who set up everything correctly and the program still doesn't work correctly. 
 
Nowadays, with an add on I read about recently that provides first letter navigation in the folders list, the last major problem with Thunderbird accessibility has evidently been solved.  There are two minor accessibility problems I know of but the most serious was the inability to move by first letter navigation in the folders tree view for those with multiple accounts.
 
Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, September 05, 2017 2:43 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] email and nvda

What I mean is completely separate  identities as in Outlook Express where
one cannot see any of the other accounts at all. Of course you can have  the
same account in two identities if you want, say one imap and one pop3, but
equally you can put in a password so that an identity cannot be opened
without it. OK its not mega secure, but  I'm not using it for that reason.
I'm ttrying to keep charity and perrsonal emails apart and mail list emails
and soccial group emails as well. What I do not want is one big tree view
with everything on it all in the same view.
 Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Antony Stone" <antony.stone@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Monday, September 04, 2017 5:44 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] email and nvda


> I'm not entirely certain what you mean by the specific word "identities",
> because Thunderbird can certainly have multiple user settings, which can
> collect email from different accounts, are configured with the reply
> address for
> each of those accounts, so that you can reply to emails from the different
> addresses.
>
> Whether these are called "identities" (it's the word I would use) or
> something
> else, I don't know, but it certainly has this facility.
>
>
> Antony.
>
> On Monday 04 September 2017 at 18:13:57, Gene wrote:
>
>> As far as I know, Thunderbird doesn't have identities.  Also, it is my
>> impression that identities are considered obsolete and aren't generally
>> used in what are considered modern e-mail programs.  Windows Live Mail
>> doesn't use them, I doubt Thunderbird does, I've never seen any evidence
>> that it does, and we'll see what others say about other programs.
>>
>> Gene
>> ----- Original Message -----
>>
>> From: Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io
>> Sent: Monday, September 04, 2017 4:33 AM
>> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
>> Subject: Re: [nvda] email and nvda
>>
>>
>> Can you open several folders and leave them open and just go between
>> them?
>>  Also how can one do identities on Tbird, to make it work like Outlook
>> express so you know which email  account is replying to an email.
>>  Brian
>>
>> bglists@...
>> Sent via blueyonder.
>> Please address personal email to:-
>> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
>> in the display name field.
>> ----- Original Message -----
>> From: "Travis Siegel" <tsiegel@...>
>> To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
>> Sent: Monday, September 04, 2017 5:10 AM
>> Subject: Re: [nvda] email and nvda
>>
>> > thunderbird works a treat. It's a bit slow at times (especially if you
>> > have thousands and thousands of messages), but otherwise, it works just
>> > fine with NVDA, and I've been using it for just about a year now
>> > without
>> > any major problems.
>> >
>> > On 9/3/2017 10:20 PM, slery wrote:
>> >> I am looking for a new email program (obviously needs to work with
>> >> NVDA).
>> >>
>> >> Must haves: work with gmail, work with multiple email accounts, open
>> >> multiple folders at the same time
>> >>
>> >> Thanks for any help. Outlook keeps crashing every time I try to open a
>> >> second folder (or even just switch to a different folder within the
>> >> same window).
>> >>
>> >> Cindy
>
> --
> Numerous psychological studies over the years have demonstrated that the
> majority of people genuinely believe they are not like the majority of
> people.
>
>                                                   Please reply to the
> list;
>                                                         please *don't* CC
> me.
>
>
>




Re: one core voices

Gene
 

You can't use them unless you use Windows 10. 
 
Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, September 04, 2017 9:49 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] one core voices

how do I get 1cor voices what is the key comboNation

On 9/4/17, Lubos Pintes <lubos.pintes@...> wrote:
> This is a known bug and could be fixed in NVDA master.
>
>
> Dňa 4. 9. 2017 o 0:20 Don H napísal(a):
>>
>> I can increase the rate within ghe NVDA voice setings.  I guess the
>> lag I am talking about is when you are at the desktop and use single
>> letter navagation there is a lag before you get the voicing of the
>> icon you are moving to.  For example at the desktop I hit the letter n
>> and it moves me to the NVDA icon but the David one core voice takes
>> longer to say NVDA versus how long it takes Access32 to say NVDA.
>>
>>
>> On 9/3/2017 5:02 PM, Gene New Zealand wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi don
>>>
>>>
>>> At present you can not ajust the speed through the settings in nvda
>>> to speed up the windows one core voices. from what i have read there
>>> is a update from windows which will fix this if i read it correct.
>>>
>>>
>>> there is a work around for the moment which works.
>>>
>>>
>>> In windows 10 in the search box i typed text to speech and then it
>>> came up with some results.
>>>
>>> it cam up with the following result Change text-to-speech settings,
>>> System settings of which i pressed the enter key on.
>>>
>>>
>>> When the next screen came up it defaults to my one core voice i
>>> chose. Tab to the rate and change it there just use the arrow keys to
>>> do this.
>>>
>>>
>>> Then close it the screen i mean.
>>>
>>>
>>> You will notice now in nvda he will be speaking quicker.
>>>
>>>
>>> Gene nz
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> On 04/09/2017 08:58, Don H wrote:
>>>> Having used Window Eyes for some 20 years with decaccess32 as my syn
>>>> I have been using the access
>>>>
>>>> 32 syn with NVDA.  I have tried the One Core  David voice but find
>>>> it has some lag as compared to the access32 syn.  Of course David
>>>> sounds more natural and Access32 is more robotic sounding. Is there
>>>> a way to change how the one core voices perform?
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> Image NVDA certified expert
>>> Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related
>>> material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where
>>> you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can
>>> use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To
>>> find out which locations (or location) is near to you please visit
>>> http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries
>>> (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert
>>> near you, please visit the following link
>>> https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains
>>> the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the
>>> world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
>


--
for if you persavear. you will conker never fear. try try try again




Re: Github

Patrick ZAJDA
 

Hi Brian,

You surely won't be surprised if I say you suppose right about "fork".
It is another repos which is a copy of the main one. In this repository
you make your modifications and open you pull request for commiters to
pull your modifications to the main NVDA code.

Don't give up :) sure there might be some confusing things but nothing
impossible to understand.


Patrick

Le 04/09/2017 à 18:11, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io a écrit :
I think I'll give up while I'm losing. and I assume you mean its only a
fork cos its a fork off the main run of the code development.

Not a fork as in eating your dinner.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Patrick ZAJDA via Groups.Io"
<patrick=zajda.fr@groups.io>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Monday, September 04, 2017 11:40 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Github


Hi Brian,

It is a pull because the code is pulled from a fork.

Patrick

Le 04/09/2017 à 10:47, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io a écrit :
So why is it called a pull not a push?
Seems logical to me. :-)
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Patrick ZAJDA via Groups.Io"
<patrick=zajda.fr@groups.io>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, September 03, 2017 2:47 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Github


Hi Gene,

Pull requests are code contribution from another Github repos.
You fork the NVDA git repos on your Github account, make your code
contribution then submit it by creating a pull request.

It facilitates code merging.

Patrick

Le 03/09/2017 à 15:28, Gene a écrit :
What are pull requests?

Gene
----- Original Message -----
*From:* Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io
<mailto:bglists=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io>
*Sent:* Sunday, September 03, 2017 7:15 AM
*To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
*Subject:* Re: [nvda] Github

I asked this some time ago, and Jamie sent me some stuff. There is now a
new
issues link and also a search field, but I've never found the search
to be
very intuitive and I suspect this is why so many duplicate issues get
filed.

Quinton sent me this also.
https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues -
there is a search edit on that page you can type your query in to see if
there's an existing issue (open or closed, though note it will only show
open issues at first by default) which deals with what you are looking
for.

To post a new issue, there should be a "new issue" button on most pages.
Activating that will take you here:
https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/new with the main components
being
a title edit and a "leave a comment" edit where you can describe your
issue
in detail.


However recently some guidelines are now in there for fields that prompt
you
to give useful information as well.

One thing that I do not like about it is that it does not send an
email to
you even if you are subscribed to its list, you only see others
comments.
However when you reply via email, you really do need to edit off quoted
stuff as otherwise looking at the issue on line gets very confused. I
occasionally forget myself. Also, it won't send you back these emails
either.
I am not sure who came up with this rule but its bonkers if you use the
email list to know where you are, as to see your own comments you
either
need to find it in your own sent folder or go to the website.
Anyway, I've had my say.
Problems? Well...
The biggest issue I had was creating the account in the first place and
getting past all the stuff that is just not relevant.


You can attach files, but thus far I've not made this work!
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk <mailto:bglists@blueyonder.co.uk>
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk <mailto:briang1@blueyonder.co.uk>, putting
'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Gene" <gsasner@ripco.com <mailto:gsasner@ripco.com>>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>>
Sent: Sunday, September 03, 2017 12:34 PM
Subject: [nvda] Github


I just looked at the Github NVDA part of the site. I haven't signed
up yet
but it looks easy to do so and to create a pull request, which I
assume is
what is generally referred to on this list as a ticket. But many people
may
find the page confusing. Is there a way that some sort of short help
information can be inserted after the navigation links on the page,
instructing people what to do to create what are called tickets, perhaps
also how to search for tickets and how to create an account? If tickets
are
desired from the widest variety of users, this process should be somehow
explained and done so in a place that those wishing to create tickets
will
be likely to see the explanation.

Gene












Re: Refering to [nvda] Request for comments: an outline of a complete course on NVDA internals and code contributions

ahmed abd alslam
 

send mail to
nvda+devlearning+subscribe@groups.io.

On 9/4/17, Khaled Shabana <kh33shabana@gmail.com> wrote:
I have a good idea about Python. I also make some applications. I use
NVDA since 2010. I want to know when the course will start and how i
can join it.




Re: nvda remote host

Antony Stone
 

It's not for security reasons - it's for simple technical reasons. Most
people's computers are not on public IP addresses; they're on private
addresses, able to connect to the Internet through a router. The router is a
one-way device - computers on the private network can connect to the Internet
(and the replies can come back again), but without some slightly complicated
fiddling around with the router settings, no-one out on the Internet can
connect to a computer on the private network.

Therefore two computers on networks like this cannot connect to each other,
however both can connect to a server which is on a public IP address,
therefore that's why the remote host machine is needed.

The two computers on private networks connect to the host on a public IP
address, and it can reply back to each of those machines, therefore it can
bridge the connection and the two private machines end up talking to each
other, which they could not do directly.


In fact, if you do have two computers on a single network which want to use
the NVDA Remote Addon and can talk directly between themselves, you can do
this - you just put each computer's IP address into the settings on the other
machine, and they communicate directly without the need for the remote host.

So, if the two computers can talk to each other directly, NVDA Remote allows
this, but if they can't, the remote host server enables the connection.


Regards,


Antony.

On Tuesday 05 September 2017 at 09:47:12, Brian's Mail list account via
Groups.Io wrote:

I have to say that I really do not understand why remote works this way
through a host. Is it something obvious?
Since I've not had cause to use it myself as yet it seems just a bit
complex. Is it security or for other reasons that the two interconnected
machines do not talk directly to each other?
Brian
----- Original Message -----
From: "Darren Tomblin" <dtomblin@hotmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Tuesday, September 05, 2017 8:03 AM
Subject: [nvda] nvda remote host

hi, I was reading the documentation for the remote addon and it talks
about a remote host. I was wondering if theres one available thats free.
thanks
--
The words "e pluribus unum" on the Great Seal of the United States are from a
poem by Virgil entitled "Moretum", which is about cheese and garlic salad
dressing.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.