Date   

Re: usenet?

erik burggraaf <erik@...>
 

Hi, our power post and power grab still a thing?

On September 23, 2017 11:55:30 AM "The Wolf" <hank.smith966@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello any one here still use usenet?  if so what clients are you using?
Hank


Re: Problems with IE - nothing speaks

Tony Ballou
 

Howdy,


You may need some sighted assistance doing this but it should fix things. 


Troubleshooting - NVDA says “unknown” or “pane” in all of your browsers, Mozilla Thunderbird email client and other places
If for some reason you have problems with NVDA saying “unknown” or “pane” check for the following symptoms:

In all of your browsers, or the Mozilla Thunderbird email client, no matter what you do, you still hear “unknown” or “pane”.

In the browser, email client and other menus you notice you cannot get into your menus, or you are unable to use the quick navigation keys

When you have been told the page is loaded and notice strange behaviour

Mozilla Thunderbird saying unknown while you try to navigate it

Your applications key does not work with it being spoken out and other strange behaviour in Windows

The running applications icons are not being spoken out
It might be a good idea to do the following:
Please note: If you are hearing “unknown” or “pane” (as discussed above) NVDA might seem like it is still working properly but it may not be completely in Windows and other programmes.
You could try the following solution which will allow you to re-register your dll files in case they are causing the problem.
Press the Windows key then type the following into the search box. Type in “command prompt”. Once you have located command prompt, in the search results, press the Applications key to bring up the context menu. Arrow down to select “run as administrator” and press the Enter key. This will take you to a command prompt window. This will not be spoken out. You may need sighted assistance for this.
Type in the following command
for %x in (c:\windows\system32\*.dll) do regsvr32 /s %x
This should re-register all components in the system32 folder.
When it is finished, you can close the command prompt window with the Alt + F4 key. You should notice now where NVDA was saying “unknown” as in some examples given, NVDA should now read the icons in the running applications area of Windows, speak the content of the webpage and menus, and also in Mozilla Thunderbird and other places in Windows including the Windows applications context menu.

Hope this helps.


Tony
On 9/22/2017 12:32 PM, Pettyjohn, Chris G. (FTC) wrote:
I'm on the NV Access homepage.  None of the navigation links are spoken when tabbed to. Pressing h does not go through headings, it just says 'h'.  Pressing NVDA+f7 opens a caret browsing dialog box.  What have I done?

Windows 7
IE 11
NVDA 2017.3


Virus-free. www.avast.com


usenet?

 

Hello any one here still use usenet?  if so what clients are you using?
Hank


Re: Citrix accessibility - could start cooperations #NVAccess

Adriani Botez
 

Dear Didier,

 

 

cool word playing above :D^^

 

Well thanks alot for your detailed share of experience. I have encountered the same issues and yes, i think they are not to complicated to be solved. However I think in order to make it really valuable and simple to use, from a practiccal perspective, Citrix would have to implement NVDA in their core system to start it by a shortcut similar to windows narator or so. This would eliminate any issues with installations or different servers / platforms etc. Would it technically be possible to implement NVDA as a standard sub application of Citrix? I’m thinking loud because if it worked, then we could do it for example for the bloomberg Terminal software as well. This would have a huge positive impact for blind people when seeking a job. We also could work at a stock exchange or stuff like that. We have a bloomberg terminal in our company as well but it has the same issues as Citrix.

 

 

Best regards

Adriani

 

 

Von: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] Im Auftrag von Didier Colle
Gesendet: Samstag, 23. September 2017 13:37
An: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Betreff: Re: [nvda] Citrix accessibility - #NVAccess could start cooperations

 

Dear Adriani,

 

For what it is worth, I will share my experience.

 

When the NVDA remote add-on was released (one or two years ago?), I tried to run it on the citrix platform of one of my employers making use of magnification and the very little vision I have left.

I did this as simple user, thus no administrator or whatever other priveledges: I just ran a portable NVDA copy on the citrix platform, thus NVDA does not need to be "installed" on that platform.

 

functionally, it did work. However, somehow the voice was kinda choppy. Why that was the case, is unclear to me, as only commands are send over the network connection and not the audio itself (the speech is generated on the local machine). Perhaps this has somehting to do with the bad/no support for multithreading in python? Do other users of the remote add-on experience something similar?

 

Besides the choppy speech issue, a point of attention is the user friendliness.

First of all, the citrix platform administrators should provide an easy way to launch NVDA. Probably that means somehow installing NVDA or at least the platform should be aware where an NVDA portable copy can be found, such that on the webpage where citrix applications can be launched/chosen also NVDA can be launched. (in particular what I did was fire up the remote Windows Explorer application from that page, which allowed me to navigate to my local disk, which was mounted after the necessary security dialog box asking whether I wanted to allow the remote application to access my local disk, after which I could simply navigate to the portable NVDA copy I created on my local machine, after which I could fire up NVDA remotely... having almost no vision left, a very impractical procedure, but for a single test run good enough).

Secondly, the current remote add-on needs configuration, for mainly configuring the network connection. Instead of having the remote and local NVDA instance communicating over a separate dedicated network connection, I believe the remote add-on should be changed such that on citrix the NVDA communication is tunneled through the citrix network connection as separate virtual channel. This would prevent for each session a new configuration would take place. This is something the NVDA community should be able to realize.

I do not expect major issues from a technical point of view why those two issues could not be realized

 

From a hardware perspective, a citrix platform is a bunch of servers, also called a server farm. A bit simplified, one or a couple of these servers orchestrates the whole platform, meaning when a new instance of an application is launched, it decides on what other server machine that instance should be launched and then contact that machine to instruct it to launch that application for the right user. All the other worker servers act pretty much as normal windows machines (again pretty much simplified).

I guess (but I do not know enough about citrix) that this means that there is no guarantee that firing up a new application instance would take place on the same machine as the one on which the remote NVDA instance was started: in such situation that running NVDA instance would be of no use for that new launched application. Preventing or dealing with such circumstances would be harder as it would imply something more than just having NVDA launched as any other application on the citrix platform (a tighter intergration/cooperation with the orchestrator component would be needed). I have no clue whether such circcumstances could occur and if they can how rare they are; it did not occur in my small experiment I described above.

 

Kind regards,

 

Didier

 

 

On 22/09/2017 21:39, adriani.botez via Groups.Io wrote:

Dear all,

here is a very comprehensive statement of Citrix on accessibility

https://www.citrix.com/content/dam/citrix/en_us/documents/support/using-common-accessibility-and-adaptability-software-with-citrix-xenapp.pdf

I wonder why NVDA is not being covered at all. Citrix commited itself to accessibility during this year and explained that through their Voluntary Product Accessibility Template (VPAT) for every product. But if you read the accessibility note above, it is far to complicated for a simple user. Especially when a company has 50 servers or more like in a bank. Data security will become more and more important. Every company will adapt their server structures and will not work on just one server. it will get more complicated for us screen reader users to convince them to install everything on every server. This cannot be a good solution in the long run.

In my view, NV Access should start cooperating with them. Or at least try to simplify the procedures.

https://www.citrix.com/about/legal/security-compliance/section-508.html

What is your opinion folks?


Cheers
Adriani

 


Re: Netflix site?

Matt Turner
 

me either.

But when dooing that, the heading inside your account that says, keep watching, is there now.

On 9/23/2017 3:51 AM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:

That seems a little odd. I don't get the connection at all.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk Sent via blueyonder. Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Matt Turner" <meturner2214@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Friday, September 22, 2017 10:22 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Netflix site?


Hi, all fixed now.

Just had to clear cookies.


On 9/22/2017 4:28 PM, Gene New Zealand wrote:

Hi


Where do you mean on the out side of the website or the inside where the movies are?


I was in there a couple of days ago watching the old doctor who.


Gene nz



On 9/23/2017 5:57 AM, Matt Turner wrote:
Is it just me, or have all the headings disappeared.

Using the latest version of chrome, and NVDA.



--
Image NVDA certified expert
Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations (or location) is near to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.


Re: Microsoft Speech Platform

Casey <cwollner@...>
 

Hi will these work with windows seven and if so what voices will you get?

If you use it under windows seven?

 

 

 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Gene New Zealand
Sent: Friday, September 22, 2017 3:23 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Microsoft Speech Platform

 

Hi

 

The package is in a zip format it is about 300 meg or so for the whole package.  There is a run time file you need to click on and after that it is the tts voices need to be installed.

The link to the drop boxs account is https://www.dropbox.com/s/zthyyh9kef7repx/Speech%20Platform%2011%20engine%20and%20voices.zip?dl=0

 

I also have the speech hub package but the add on needs to be installed after speech hub has been installed.

 

the add on can be found under the following section in windows c: drive then program files x86 then speech hub then nvda add on then just do the usual to install it the add on i mean.

 

the drop box link is https://www.dropbox.com/s/zzgos2mu38ss3i1/SpeechHubInstall.exe?dl=0

 

 

On 9/22/2017 10:39 PM, Peter Beasley wrote:

does it work on Windows 7?

 

Sent: Thursday, September 21, 2017 9:45 PM

Subject: Re: [nvda] Microsoft Speech Platform

 

Hi

 

I do have the whole package of voices for speech platform if you are interested along with the run time tingy to get those voices working.

 

I just looked on my windows 10 creators update machine and there under the synth section is one for speech platform so i have it installed.

I only have the one voice installed called sarah but i could install more if i can see it.

 

if you are interested i can drop box them.

They are the complete set so will have other languages as well apart from english.

 

Gene nz

 

 

 

On 9/21/2017 11:29 PM, Sharni-Lee Ward wrote:

Is MS Speech Platform still compatible with NVDA? It's been several 
years since I first installed it and I've changed computers and NVDA's 
interface has changed and I don't know if it's still possible to install 
Speech Platform in it, which makes me a bit sad because I like those 
voices, just not as a default. I've also forgotten how to install them 
in NVDA and I can see they're not addon packages, so...
 
 
 
 

 

--
Image NVDA certified expert

Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations (or location) is near to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.

 

--

Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations (or location) is near to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.


Re: Citrix accessibility - could start cooperations #NVAccess

Didier Colle
 

Dear Adriani,


For what it is worth, I will share my experience.


When the NVDA remote add-on was released (one or two years ago?), I tried to run it on the citrix platform of one of my employers making use of magnification and the very little vision I have left.

I did this as simple user, thus no administrator or whatever other priveledges: I just ran a portable NVDA copy on the citrix platform, thus NVDA does not need to be "installed" on that platform.


functionally, it did work. However, somehow the voice was kinda choppy. Why that was the case, is unclear to me, as only commands are send over the network connection and not the audio itself (the speech is generated on the local machine). Perhaps this has somehting to do with the bad/no support for multithreading in python? Do other users of the remote add-on experience something similar?


Besides the choppy speech issue, a point of attention is the user friendliness.

First of all, the citrix platform administrators should provide an easy way to launch NVDA. Probably that means somehow installing NVDA or at least the platform should be aware where an NVDA portable copy can be found, such that on the webpage where citrix applications can be launched/chosen also NVDA can be launched. (in particular what I did was fire up the remote Windows Explorer application from that page, which allowed me to navigate to my local disk, which was mounted after the necessary security dialog box asking whether I wanted to allow the remote application to access my local disk, after which I could simply navigate to the portable NVDA copy I created on my local machine, after which I could fire up NVDA remotely... having almost no vision left, a very impractical procedure, but for a single test run good enough).

Secondly, the current remote add-on needs configuration, for mainly configuring the network connection. Instead of having the remote and local NVDA instance communicating over a separate dedicated network connection, I believe the remote add-on should be changed such that on citrix the NVDA communication is tunneled through the citrix network connection as separate virtual channel. This would prevent for each session a new configuration would take place. This is something the NVDA community should be able to realize.

I do not expect major issues from a technical point of view why those two issues could not be realized


From a hardware perspective, a citrix platform is a bunch of servers, also called a server farm. A bit simplified, one or a couple of these servers orchestrates the whole platform, meaning when a new instance of an application is launched, it decides on what other server machine that instance should be launched and then contact that machine to instruct it to launch that application for the right user. All the other worker servers act pretty much as normal windows machines (again pretty much simplified).

I guess (but I do not know enough about citrix) that this means that there is no guarantee that firing up a new application instance would take place on the same machine as the one on which the remote NVDA instance was started: in such situation that running NVDA instance would be of no use for that new launched application. Preventing or dealing with such circumstances would be harder as it would imply something more than just having NVDA launched as any other application on the citrix platform (a tighter intergration/cooperation with the orchestrator component would be needed). I have no clue whether such circcumstances could occur and if they can how rare they are; it did not occur in my small experiment I described above.


Kind regards,


Didier



On 22/09/2017 21:39, adriani.botez via Groups.Io wrote:
Dear all,

here is a very comprehensive statement of Citrix on accessibility

https://www.citrix.com/content/dam/citrix/en_us/documents/support/using-common-accessibility-and-adaptability-software-with-citrix-xenapp.pdf

I wonder why NVDA is not being covered at all. Citrix commited itself to accessibility during this year and explained that through their Voluntary Product Accessibility Template (VPAT) for every product. But if you read the accessibility note above, it is far to complicated for a simple user. Especially when a company has 50 servers or more like in a bank. Data security will become more and more important. Every company will adapt their server structures and will not work on just one server. it will get more complicated for us screen reader users to convince them to install everything on every server. This cannot be a good solution in the long run.

In my view, NV Access should start cooperating with them. Or at least try to simplify the procedures.

https://www.citrix.com/about/legal/security-compliance/section-508.html

What is your opinion folks?


Cheers
Adriani


Re: accessibility of zoom

Lino Morales
 

Is it better than Team Talk?


On 9/21/2017 7:24 AM, Christopher Bartlett wrote:
Zoom is a teleconferencing site sort of like GoToMeeting.  Mystic Access uses it for their classes, in one of which I am currently enrolled.  For shared presentations, it works quite well, even including sharing screen reader audio with the shared screen feature.  It has a number of keyboard shortcuts that make navigating its interface pretty usable.
I don't have an experience with the chat features, so I can't comment on the specific problem of no text echo.  I note that this is a problem in general with Chrome, and wonder if they are built with any similarities in architecture in this  regard.
Chris


On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 4:51 AM, Shaun Everiss <sm.everiss@...> wrote:
what is zoom.

I may look at it.




On 21/09/2017 4:55 p.m., Governor staten wrote:
Has anyone out there had experience with this software, and the accessibility, or lack thereof? It appears that there is lots to be desired where accessibility is concerned. I'd like to know if there is something I can do to remedy this issue?

An organization I'm a part of uses this client multiple times a week. Again, if anyone has any experience with this software, please get in contact with me, off of the list. govsta@... is my address. You can reply on list if there are add-ons for this software, or other solutions I should try. Hopefully not too confusing. :)


According to the link on accessibility found at https://zoom.us/accessibility#accessibility

they say that NVDA, JAWS and Voiceover should work well with this software. My experience, while not terrible, isn't perfect. Is it just me, or is the accessibility not completely honest?


If anyone wants to give this software a going over, it can be found at www.zoom.us. Thanks for your consideration in this matter.









--
Christopher Bartlett


Re: Actilino Braille Display

Felix G.
 

Instructions are included on how to patch an existing installation.
Kind regards,
Felix

Felix G. <constantlyvariable@...> schrieb am Sa., 23. Sep. 2017 um 11:37 Uhr:

Hello!
I am personally in charge of this file. It was not ready for release at the time NVDA 2017.3 was code-frozen, so I created a custom version of the setup which would include it.
I'm on vacation right now but on Tuesday I will create a ticket containing that version of the dll so it can be easily located, and so that it can be included in masters.
There will soon be another major update to the driver which will speed things up considerably.
Feel free to also contact me, or Help Tech, directly if there are any questions.
Kind regards,
Felix
George Zaynoun <humorlessgeza@...> schrieb am Sa. 23. Sep. 2017 um 09:57:
This new Braille display from Helptech formerly Handytech does not work
with NVDA unless one downloads a copy of NVDA from Helptech. That copy
works and they made their own NVDA release for it, I have that copy but
it is 2017.2 and upgrading it results in no Braille output. Who is
responsible for fixing this issue, Helptech or can NVDA devs extract
the driver so that it works with regular NVDA release? I am willing to
send this copy of NVDA to who it may concern.

--
Georges Zeinoun
Timmerv. 6A ITR LGH1102, 54163 SKÖVDE    SWEDEN
Tel: +46 (500) 48 29 29 +46 (500) 43 55 11




Re: NVDA voices

Lino Morales
 

Are you talking about the DECTalk add-on. That's not an authorized add-on.

On 9/19/2017 10:12 PM, Don H wrote:
I have always thought that the E speak voice is terrible.  I only switched to NVDA after I found out that there was the Access32 syn that sounded just like the syn I had used for twenty years with Window Eyes.  On my system I have removed Window Eyes and do have Jaws installed only because it was a free switch from Window Eyes.  I find NVDA with the Access32 syn meets all my needs and don't use Jaws as I don't think it is as good as NVDA.  That is my Opinion and I am a expert on my Opinion.  So if you don't like E Speak and don't want to pay for more voices give Access32 for NVDA a try.




Re: Problems with IE - nothing speaks

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>
 

Yes when it sees a change it recompiles the files. The problem is that the error that can be generated this way will be pretty hard to understand. I really have to say, always have a working copy somewhere as a portable, and I tend to put a desktop shortcut to that set with a specific hot key and also run a batch file that closes the old copy down before it launches the new version, just in case its stuck.

@echo off
start /w nvda.exe -q
start nvda.exe

Use this as the nvda.bat and put it into the folder of the portable copy and make a shortcut to it and there you are.

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
From: "zahra" <nasrinkhaksar3@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, September 23, 2017 9:58 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Problems with IE - nothing speaks


hi.
do reinstall nvda.
i have your experience.
i deleted some pyo files that i thought they are not essential, after
deleteing each one, i realized that nvda even did not start!
also one time, delete one line from global commands.pyo and recieve
the same result!
hope that help, God bless you.

On 9/23/17, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io
<bglists=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
I think I'd try this first, and then do a system restart, it would also be
instructive to know if it works with other browsers or indeed with a
portable copy of nvda as well.

The problem is with any changes to files in nvda, sometimes the system can
complile them and put them elsewhere for execution. If its still there you
might need to take your system set up folder away, uninstall nvda
completely, clean out all folders then reinstall and copy your system
settings back. This is where a portable version can be used to see if its
nvda or not. Its pretty obvious that if it works in the portable version and

not in the main one, then the main one is screwed up.
I have just had to do this with the master snapshot, but I got away with
looking at file dates and only deleting the most recently updated ones and
letting nvda fix the rest.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Pettyjohn, Chris G. (FTC)" <Chris.Pettyjohn@va.gov>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Friday, September 22, 2017 10:07 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Problems with IE - nothing speaks


i created the iexplore.py file. I was experimenting on an app module for a
specific website. i only had a keystroke binded to a method. The method
displayed a message box with the foreground windows name in it. So i don't
think deleting a file i created can be the problem. But who knows. Should i

reinstall NVDA?





--
we have not sent you but as a mercy to the entire creation.
holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration from prophet Mohammad is:
indeed, imam husayn is the beacon of guidance and the ark of salvation.
best website for studying islamic book in different languages
www.al-islam.org


Re: Actilino Braille Display

Felix G.
 

Hello!
I am personally in charge of this file. It was not ready for release at the time NVDA 2017.3 was code-frozen, so I created a custom version of the setup which would include it.
I'm on vacation right now but on Tuesday I will create a ticket containing that version of the dll so it can be easily located, and so that it can be included in masters.
There will soon be another major update to the driver which will speed things up considerably.
Feel free to also contact me, or Help Tech, directly if there are any questions.
Kind regards,
Felix
George Zaynoun <humorlessgeza@...> schrieb am Sa. 23. Sep. 2017 um 09:57:

This new Braille display from Helptech formerly Handytech does not work
with NVDA unless one downloads a copy of NVDA from Helptech. That copy
works and they made their own NVDA release for it, I have that copy but
it is 2017.2 and upgrading it results in no Braille output. Who is
responsible for fixing this issue, Helptech or can NVDA devs extract
the driver so that it works with regular NVDA release? I am willing to
send this copy of NVDA to who it may concern.

--
Georges Zeinoun
Timmerv. 6A ITR LGH1102, 54163 SKÖVDE    SWEDEN
Tel: +46 (500) 48 29 29 +46 (500) 43 55 11




Re: Problems with IE - nothing speaks

 

hi.
do reinstall nvda.
i have your experience.
i deleted some pyo files that i thought they are not essential, after
deleteing each one, i realized that nvda even did not start!
also one time, delete one line from global commands.pyo and recieve
the same result!
hope that help, God bless you.

On 9/23/17, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io
<bglists=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
I think I'd try this first, and then do a system restart, it would also be
instructive to know if it works with other browsers or indeed with a
portable copy of nvda as well.

The problem is with any changes to files in nvda, sometimes the system can
complile them and put them elsewhere for execution. If its still there you
might need to take your system set up folder away, uninstall nvda
completely, clean out all folders then reinstall and copy your system
settings back. This is where a portable version can be used to see if its
nvda or not. Its pretty obvious that if it works in the portable version and

not in the main one, then the main one is screwed up.
I have just had to do this with the master snapshot, but I got away with
looking at file dates and only deleting the most recently updated ones and
letting nvda fix the rest.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Pettyjohn, Chris G. (FTC)" <Chris.Pettyjohn@va.gov>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Friday, September 22, 2017 10:07 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Problems with IE - nothing speaks


i created the iexplore.py file. I was experimenting on an app module for a
specific website. i only had a keystroke binded to a method. The method
displayed a message box with the foreground windows name in it. So i don't
think deleting a file i created can be the problem. But who knows. Should i

reinstall NVDA?





--
we have not sent you but as a mercy to the entire creation.
holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration from prophet Mohammad is:
indeed, imam husayn is the beacon of guidance and the ark of salvation.
best website for studying islamic book in different languages
www.al-islam.org


Re: using facebook

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>
 

I think any social media platform for us has issues as we are coming in late and do not know how to restrict the crud and all the clever stuff so we only see what we want to see and also of course only allow others to see what we want them to see as well. So many blind friends have had their fingers burned on these sites by bullying or indeed by off the cuff comments that have been seen by important folk like employers or family and friends.
There are dangers out there.
I was never brought up with this concept, but a lot of the younger nvda users here have always known this stuff. I use Usenet, and always have done. We all know that is open and public but when it comes to Facebook, and to a lesser extent, Twitter, its unfortunately alot easier for folk to find you.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Shaun Everiss" <sm.everiss@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, September 23, 2017 8:47 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] using facebook


Well I made a decision that I wouldn't tweat much, I mean my life revovles around a pc but still I refuse to spend it reading tweats even though I do read a few.




On 23/09/2017 7:37 p.m., Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
I think social media is a time management issue. I find better things to do with my time than to wrestle with facebook. That is all. I'm not going to say I'll never use it, but for what use I could make of it a huge learning curve appears to be needed by any user without sight.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Travis Siegel" <tsiegel@softcon.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Friday, September 22, 2017 11:42 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] using facebook


It's extremely easy to navigate, but the facebook mobile page doesn't have everything the main facebook page has, or sometimes it does, but it's burried somewhere, and good luck finding it. It's nearly impossible to do everything I want to do when using the mobile version of the page, so I gave it up for useless years ago. Admittedly, the regular page is a hassle, and sometimes it's slow as all get out, but it works, and in the long run that's all that matters.

Of course, I use face book as little as possible, so your mileage may vary.


On 9/22/2017 3:47 PM, Lino Morales wrote:
Brian their is nothing wrong with teh Facebook Mobile site. It has HTML headings etc. Its easy to navigate.


On 9/19/2017 7:26 AM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
Yes I gave up even trying to understand it, Even on the mobile site.
Is there a blind friendly client for any of the so called social media sites that are easy to use?
I don't want them to rule my life, but of late so much information I'm expected to know about is on Twitter or Facebook its beginning to look like I'll have to bite the bullet again. Maybe I can employ a young person to do it for me!
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "enes sarıbaş" <enes.saribas@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Monday, September 18, 2017 11:49 PM
Subject: [nvda] using facebook


hi,

How do you guys use facebook with nvda? In particular, searching group posts and viewing the results, but most actions seem laggy. Also, nvda randomly jumps around on the page.














Actilino Braille Display

George Zaynoun
 

This new Braille display from Helptech formerly Handytech does not work with NVDA unless one downloads a copy of NVDA from Helptech. That copy works and they made their own NVDA release for it, I have that copy but it is 2017.2 and upgrading it results in no Braille output. Who is responsible for fixing this issue, Helptech or can NVDA devs extract the driver so that it works with regular NVDA release? I am willing to send this copy of NVDA to who it may concern.

--
Georges Zeinoun
Timmerv. 6A ITR LGH1102, 54163 SKÖVDE SWEDEN
Tel: +46 (500) 48 29 29 +46 (500) 43 55 11


Re: Microsoft Speech Platform

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>
 

Yes most certainly a nice voice, but a little sluggish in xp, but OK for reading, ie profile set up as say all.
One thing though, you may find it says some words oddly so some experimentation in the voice dictionary is needed.
It nearly always says my name as Brian and so I changed it to say Bryan instead!

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
From: "mr. Chikodinaka Nickarandidum Oguledo" <ochikodinaka@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, September 23, 2017 3:45 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Microsoft Speech Platform


hello hello hello yes it works nvda works with speech Microsoft hazal
it works its instolled on my computer

On 9/22/17, Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@outlook.co.nz> wrote:
Hi


The package is in a zip format it is about 300 meg or so for the whole
package. There is a run time file you need to click on and after that it is
the tts voices need to be installed.

The link to the drop boxs account is
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zthyyh9kef7repx/Speech%20Platform%2011%20engine%20and%20voices.zip?dl=0


I also have the speech hub package but the add on needs to be installed
after speech hub has been installed.


the add on can be found under the following section in windows c: drive then
program files x86 then speech hub then nvda add on then just do the usual to
install it the add on i mean.


the drop box link is
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zzgos2mu38ss3i1/SpeechHubInstall.exe?dl=0


On 9/22/2017 10:39 PM, Peter Beasley wrote:
does it work on Windows 7?

From: Gene New Zealand<mailto:hurrikennyandopo@outlook.co.nz>
Sent: Thursday, September 21, 2017 9:45 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [nvda] Microsoft Speech Platform


Hi



I do have the whole package of voices for speech platform if you are
interested along with the run time tingy to get those voices working.



I just looked on my windows 10 creators update machine and there under the
synth section is one for speech platform so i have it installed.

I only have the one voice installed called sarah but i could install more if
i can see it.



if you are interested i can drop box them.

They are the complete set so will have other languages as well apart from
english.



Gene nz





On 9/21/2017 11:29 PM, Sharni-Lee Ward wrote:

Is MS Speech Platform still compatible with NVDA? It's been several
years since I first installed it and I've changed computers and NVDA's
interface has changed and I don't know if it's still possible to install
Speech Platform in it, which makes me a bit sad because I like those
voices, just not as a default. I've also forgotten how to install them
in NVDA and I can see they're not addon packages, so...






--
[Image NVDA certified expert]
Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material
at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are in New
Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA
screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations (or
location) is near to you please visit
http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa
People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please
visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The
certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals
from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert
exam.


--
[Image NVDA certified expert]
Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material
at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are in New
Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA
screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations (or
location) is near to you please visit
http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa
People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please
visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The
certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals
from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert
exam.

--
for if you persavear. you will conker never fear. try try try again


Re: Netflix site?

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>
 

That seems a little odd. I don't get the connection at all.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk Sent via blueyonder. Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Matt Turner" <meturner2214@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Friday, September 22, 2017 10:22 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Netflix site?


Hi, all fixed now.
Just had to clear cookies.
On 9/22/2017 4:28 PM, Gene New Zealand wrote:

Hi


Where do you mean on the out side of the website or the inside where the movies are?


I was in there a couple of days ago watching the old doctor who.


Gene nz



On 9/23/2017 5:57 AM, Matt Turner wrote:
Is it just me, or have all the headings disappeared.

Using the latest version of chrome, and NVDA.



--
Image NVDA certified expert
Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations (or location) is near to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.


Re: Problems with IE - nothing speaks

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>
 

I think I'd try this first, and then do a system restart, it would also be instructive to know if it works with other browsers or indeed with a portable copy of nvda as well.

The problem is with any changes to files in nvda, sometimes the system can complile them and put them elsewhere for execution. If its still there you might need to take your system set up folder away, uninstall nvda completely, clean out all folders then reinstall and copy your system settings back. This is where a portable version can be used to see if its nvda or not. Its pretty obvious that if it works in the portable version and not in the main one, then the main one is screwed up.
I have just had to do this with the master snapshot, but I got away with looking at file dates and only deleting the most recently updated ones and letting nvda fix the rest.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Pettyjohn, Chris G. (FTC)" <Chris.Pettyjohn@va.gov>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Friday, September 22, 2017 10:07 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Problems with IE - nothing speaks


i created the iexplore.py file. I was experimenting on an app module for a specific website. i only had a keystroke binded to a method. The method displayed a message box with the foreground windows name in it. So i don't think deleting a file i created can be the problem. But who knows. Should i reinstall NVDA?


Re: using facebook

 

Well I made a decision that I wouldn't tweat much, I mean my life revovles around a pc but still I refuse to spend it reading tweats even though I do read a few.

On 23/09/2017 7:37 p.m., Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
I think social media is a time management issue. I find better things to do with my time than to wrestle with facebook. That is all. I'm not going to say I'll never use it, but for what use I could make of it a huge learning curve appears to be needed by any user without sight.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Travis Siegel" <tsiegel@softcon.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Friday, September 22, 2017 11:42 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] using facebook


It's extremely easy to navigate, but the facebook mobile page doesn't have everything the main facebook page has, or sometimes it does, but it's burried somewhere, and good luck finding it. It's nearly impossible to do everything I want to do when using the mobile version of the page, so I gave it up for useless years ago. Admittedly, the regular page is a hassle, and sometimes it's slow as all get out, but it works, and in the long run that's all that matters.

Of course, I use face book as little as possible, so your mileage may vary.


On 9/22/2017 3:47 PM, Lino Morales wrote:
Brian their is nothing wrong with teh Facebook Mobile site. It has HTML headings etc. Its easy to navigate.


On 9/19/2017 7:26 AM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
Yes I gave up even trying to understand it, Even on the mobile site.
Is there a blind friendly client for any of the so called social media sites that are easy to use?
I don't want them to rule my life, but of late so much information I'm expected to know about is on Twitter or Facebook its beginning to look like I'll have to bite the bullet again. Maybe I can employ a young person to do it for me!
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "enes sarıbaş" <enes.saribas@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Monday, September 18, 2017 11:49 PM
Subject: [nvda] using facebook


hi,

How do you guys use facebook with nvda? In particular, searching group posts and viewing the results, but most actions seem laggy. Also, nvda randomly jumps around on the page.













Re: vocalizer voices (got it partly figured out)

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>
 

It looks to me like somebody altered a page and the original one has not updated to reflect the change. A common issue on the web unfortunately.
brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lino Morales" <linomorales001@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Friday, September 22, 2017 9:00 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] vocalizer voices (got it partly figured out)


I can't stand ESpeak either Travis, but I know the page you are talking about. Yes poorly designed.


On 9/19/2017 3:49 PM, Travis Siegel wrote:
I have to say, the web page where the nvda plugin is up for download is terrible. According to the site (and I quote).

Once the Add-on is installed along with NVDA, you can select either Code Factory Eloquence or Code Factory Vocalizer in the NVDA Synthesizer dialog and then select the preferred language in the NVDA Voice dialog.


Yeah, only this doesn't work for vocalizer voices. It works just fine for eloquence voice (which btw, I can't stand), but apparently, for vocalizer voices, you need to go to another page (not linked to anywhere on the NVDA plugins page), and download the voices you want to use. This is pretty poor page design, especially since there is no mention anywhere on the page that voices need to be downloaded.

But, just for reference, downloading the voices I wanted didn't change my circle of errors, I'm still getting the thanks for using, and telling me that pressing ok will start the install process, (which btw doesn't). Installing the samantha voice separately also doesn't solve my problem, I can select vocolizer in the code factory menu, but when going to synthesizer and selecting vocalizer is how I get into that nice endless error circle, so there is definitely still work that needs done on these voices. I'd be demanding my money back with no doubt if I'd had this experience after paying for these things. The seven day trial is nice, but it isn't of any use to me, because nothing here is working, so I'm just going to write it all off as a bad idea and go back to being content with my espeak ivan 3 voice.