Date   

Re: Where are the recordings?

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>
 

The thing is though that I don't think I've ever seen any web address anywhere which has spaces in it. They are nearly always hyphens or underscores. It may well be so that you can have them, but to all intents and purposes when you use any document to convey them they never work.

I have tried in Firefox and they seem also to fall over, which was my point before. The web address was faulty as you say as the look up of the IP itself did not resolve to anything sensible.
Brian

----- Original Message -----
From: "Antony Stone" <antony.stone@nvda.open.source.it>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, September 30, 2017 10:06 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Where are the recordings?


Spaces are perfectly valid in web addresses.

The problem with them is that most email clients and similar applications
can't tell whether the space and the next word are still part of the address,
or if the address has finished and the next word is just a word, so therefore
spaces are often converted to %20 so that the entire address string is
continuous.

Typing an address, complete with spaces, into a web browser, however, is
perfectly valid.

The fundamental problem being discussed in this thread is in fact that someone
fairly early on posted a URL which doesn't work.

http://123.206.102.220/NVDA%20plugin%20community%20activities.7z

is the correct URL and works, although very very slowly.


Antony.

On Saturday 30 September 2017 at 10:55:57, Brian's Mail list account via
Groups.Io wrote:

You cannot have spaces in web addresses though, can you? I was thinking
this too but decided it has to be something like underscore or something
else. brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Rui Fontes" <rui.fontes@tiflotecnia.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Friday, September 29, 2017 7:50 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Where are the recordings?

Replace %20 by space.

Rui



De: "Roger Stewart" <paganus2@gmail.com>
Para: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Assunto: Re: [nvda] Where are the recordings?
Data: 29 de setembro de 2017 15:49

I just tried this and the link appears to be totally dead!! By this, I
mean it doesn't even try to open a browser at all let alone give me a
page not found error or anything--it just says visited after I choose it
but then just sits there. What's wrong?

Roger

On 9/28/2017 7:03 PM, dingpengyu06@gmail.com wrote:
All of you are good, this is the last week of the activities of the
recording, the following is the download address: because there is no
reason to deal with, so the volume will be relatively large, so a lot of
inclusive. Http://123.206.102.220/NVDA%20plugin%20community%
<http://123.206.102.220/NVDA%20plugin%20community%> 20activities.7z

--
The next sentence is true.
The previous sentence is untrue.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.



Re: WebAim Screen Reader User Survey #7: Getting The Word Out About NVDA

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>
 

I do also feel though that whoever writes the questions makes some assumptions as well.
The fact is, although there are blind people I know using smart phones, most are young and most people I know are not young, well over 45 lets say, and seldom use mobile smart tech, and if they do they seldom do much on them.

Most have either second hand laptops or desktops with probably windows 7 on them 32 bit in the main. I do know a lot of people still using xp and indeed I'm writing this on an old xp machine now, but its not my main machine as its so slow compared with even a machine about 5 years old!

Brian

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lino Morales" <linomorales001@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, September 30, 2017 8:11 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] WebAim Screen Reader User Survey #7: Getting The Word Out About NVDA


I totally agree with you dude.


On 9/30/2017 9:24 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi,
I would like to stress that people should show willingness to participate in this survey. Last time, a screen reader vendor did promote this survey heavily, which resulted in unintended side effect of skewing the resulting data, and I do not want to see someone repeating that. Promotion is good, but I think using this survey as a fuel for promoting NVDA isn't a good idea; rather, it is better to promote NVDA on a continual basis, not during big events like this.
Cheers,
Joseph

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Bhavya shah
Sent: Saturday, September 30, 2017 6:20 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] WebAim Screen Reader User Survey #7: Getting The Word Out About NVDA

Dear all,
Since almost a decade, WebAim, a non-profit web accessibility consultancy organisation, has been conducting an annual (sometimes
biennial) survey, which, as its name implies, attempts to gather statistics about the usage share of different screen readers, technology (particularly Internet) accessibility trends, etc. so as to aid analysts, researchers, accessibility consultants, sighted developers, and mainstream companies to get a quantified picture of the state of the AT industry.
While this survey features participation from varied geographies, NVDA’s user base, at least in my personal view, has always been understated. While 8% respondents of the first December 2008 WebAim survey reported to be NVDA users, this figure has only increased to 14% of respondents in its 2015 counterpart claiming to use NVDA as their primary screen reader and 41% using it commonly, a usage share substantially lower than NVDA’s commercial and more expensive screen reading alternatives.
I think it would be a great way of playing our tiny part in getting the word out about NVDA’s viability and competency if all NVDA community members, users, testers and other related parties, particularly from second and third world developing regions which often remain silent for such surveys but where free and open source NVDA makes a prominent impact, take this survey and contribute to letting the world know about the size and standing of the NVDA user base.
The URL of said survey is https://webaim.org/projects/screenreadersurvey7/ .
It took me about ten minutes to fill this survey and the form was extremely accessible. Not only from an NVDA angle, but filling such surveys always brings out useful and reflective data, which, in turn, betters AT as a whole. Therefore, I urge everyone to take some time out for this survey so that we can make the data truly reflective of the actualities.
Thanks.
P.S. I am in no way affiliated to WebAim nor is my intention to merely promote this survey.

--
Best Regards
Bhavya Shah

Blogger at Hiking Across Horizons: https://bhavyashah125.wordpress.com/

Contacting Me
E-mail Address: bhavya.shah125@gmail.com Follow me on Twitter @BhavyaShah125 or www.twitter.com/BhavyaShah125 Mobile Number: +91 7506221750








Re: WebAim Screen Reader User Survey #7: Getting The Word Out About NVDA

Lino Morales <linomorales001@...>
 

I totally agree with you dude.

On 9/30/2017 9:24 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi,
I would like to stress that people should show willingness to participate in this survey. Last time, a screen reader vendor did promote this survey heavily, which resulted in unintended side effect of skewing the resulting data, and I do not want to see someone repeating that. Promotion is good, but I think using this survey as a fuel for promoting NVDA isn't a good idea; rather, it is better to promote NVDA on a continual basis, not during big events like this.
Cheers,
Joseph

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Bhavya shah
Sent: Saturday, September 30, 2017 6:20 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] WebAim Screen Reader User Survey #7: Getting The Word Out About NVDA

Dear all,
Since almost a decade, WebAim, a non-profit web accessibility consultancy organisation, has been conducting an annual (sometimes
biennial) survey, which, as its name implies, attempts to gather statistics about the usage share of different screen readers, technology (particularly Internet) accessibility trends, etc. so as to aid analysts, researchers, accessibility consultants, sighted developers, and mainstream companies to get a quantified picture of the state of the AT industry.
While this survey features participation from varied geographies, NVDA’s user base, at least in my personal view, has always been understated. While 8% respondents of the first December 2008 WebAim survey reported to be NVDA users, this figure has only increased to 14% of respondents in its 2015 counterpart claiming to use NVDA as their primary screen reader and 41% using it commonly, a usage share substantially lower than NVDA’s commercial and more expensive screen reading alternatives.
I think it would be a great way of playing our tiny part in getting the word out about NVDA’s viability and competency if all NVDA community members, users, testers and other related parties, particularly from second and third world developing regions which often remain silent for such surveys but where free and open source NVDA makes a prominent impact, take this survey and contribute to letting the world know about the size and standing of the NVDA user base.
The URL of said survey is https://webaim.org/projects/screenreadersurvey7/ .
It took me about ten minutes to fill this survey and the form was extremely accessible. Not only from an NVDA angle, but filling such surveys always brings out useful and reflective data, which, in turn, betters AT as a whole. Therefore, I urge everyone to take some time out for this survey so that we can make the data truly reflective of the actualities.
Thanks.
P.S. I am in no way affiliated to WebAim nor is my intention to merely promote this survey.

--
Best Regards
Bhavya Shah

Blogger at Hiking Across Horizons: https://bhavyashah125.wordpress.com/

Contacting Me
E-mail Address: bhavya.shah125@gmail.com Follow me on Twitter @BhavyaShah125 or www.twitter.com/BhavyaShah125 Mobile Number: +91 7506221750






Re: Necessary training to write a screen reader?

Jason White
 

Computer science courses at university teach algorithm analysis, data structures, operating system design, compiler theory, artificial intelligence, programming languages, software design and other specialized topics. With this background in place, a capable graduate can apply their knowledge and skills to specialized areas, including screen readers. That is, the university education provides a foundation of understanding and skill that can then be applied in many ways to many different problems, including screen reader development. A good graduate should be able to pick up the specifics of each problem (e.g., accessibility) in the course of working on it. What the education provides is the ability to analyze and solve problems independently, based on the fundamentals that have already been learned.

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Walker, Michael E
Sent: Friday, September 29, 2017 4:30 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Necessary training to write a screen reader?

 

Hi,

 

When I read about how NVDA was born by a blind developer starting and writing it back in 2006, where do you think he would have even gotten the training to write a screen reader? I know that one would not get this from college alone. College may teach the fundamentals of Computer Science with an introduction to some specialized topics like security and cryptography, image processing, networking, and multimedia, but writing a screen reader has to be a highly complex undertaking. I am not looking to write one, but am intrigued by NVDA’s history.

 

Thanks,

Mike


Re: Where are the recordings?

Sarah k Alawami
 

Yeah, I'll give yall a link about 4 hours. Cancel the ones you have and wait, pretty please with liver on top.. Hehahahaha.

Blessings and happy Saturday

On Sep 30, 2017, at 9:47 AM, Roger Stewart <paganus2@...> wrote:

Ok, so can we please have the link to get it?  It still says I have an hour and a half left to get it and it's already been over 2 hours!

Thanks much.

Roger










On 9/30/2017 11:21 AM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
Ok, I transferred it to my server, it should be there in I kid you not, 8 hours. Um?  Ok? I have over 120 mbos down and maybe 100 mbps up on that server so geting it for you guys should be no problems. I'll keep it up there for about a month if that is ok with all of you.

Take care all.

On Sep 30, 2017, at 7:36 AM, Roger Stewart <paganus2@...> wrote:

Ok, I'm getting it now!  Thanks for the correct address.  You are right--it is a very very slow server--must be on dial up on their end but at least I should have it in a couple hours.

Roger









On 9/30/2017 4:06 AM, Antony Stone wrote:
Spaces are perfectly valid in web addresses.

The problem with them is that most email clients and similar applications
can't tell whether the space and the next word are still part of the address,
or if the address has finished and the next word is just a word, so therefore
spaces are often converted to %20 so that the entire address string is
continuous.

Typing an address, complete with spaces, into a web browser, however, is
perfectly valid.

The fundamental problem being discussed in this thread is in fact that someone
fairly early on posted a URL which doesn't work.

http://123.206.102.220/NVDA%20plugin%20community%20activities.7z

is the correct URL and works, although very very slowly.


Antony.

On Saturday 30 September 2017 at 10:55:57, Brian's Mail list account via
Groups.Io wrote:

You cannot have spaces in web addresses though, can you? I was thinking
this too but decided it has to be something like underscore or something
else. brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Rui Fontes" <rui.fontes@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Friday, September 29, 2017 7:50 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Where are the recordings?

Replace %20 by space.

Rui



De: "Roger Stewart" <paganus2@...>
Para: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Assunto: Re: [nvda] Where are the recordings?
Data: 29 de setembro de 2017 15:49

I just tried this and the link appears to be totally dead!!  By this, I
mean it doesn't even try to open a browser at all let alone give me a
page not found error or anything--it just says visited after I choose it
but then just sits there.  What's wrong?

Roger

On 9/28/2017 7:03 PM, dingpengyu06@... wrote:
All of you are good, this is the last week of the activities of the
recording, the following is the download address: because there is no
reason to deal with, so the volume will be relatively large, so a lot of
inclusive. Http://123.206.102.220/NVDA%20plugin%20community%
<http://123.206.102.220/NVDA%20plugin%20community%> 20activities.7z







Re: Where are the recordings?

Roger Stewart
 

Ok, so can we please have the link to get it?  It still says I have an hour and a half left to get it and it's already been over 2 hours!

Thanks much.

Roger










On 9/30/2017 11:21 AM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
Ok, I transferred it to my server, it should be there in I kid you not, 8 hours. Um?  Ok? I have over 120 mbos down and maybe 100 mbps up on that server so geting it for you guys should be no problems. I'll keep it up there for about a month if that is ok with all of you.

Take care all.

On Sep 30, 2017, at 7:36 AM, Roger Stewart <paganus2@...> wrote:

Ok, I'm getting it now!  Thanks for the correct address.  You are right--it is a very very slow server--must be on dial up on their end but at least I should have it in a couple hours.

Roger









On 9/30/2017 4:06 AM, Antony Stone wrote:
Spaces are perfectly valid in web addresses.

The problem with them is that most email clients and similar applications
can't tell whether the space and the next word are still part of the address,
or if the address has finished and the next word is just a word, so therefore
spaces are often converted to %20 so that the entire address string is
continuous.

Typing an address, complete with spaces, into a web browser, however, is
perfectly valid.

The fundamental problem being discussed in this thread is in fact that someone
fairly early on posted a URL which doesn't work.

http://123.206.102.220/NVDA%20plugin%20community%20activities.7z

is the correct URL and works, although very very slowly.


Antony.

On Saturday 30 September 2017 at 10:55:57, Brian's Mail list account via
Groups.Io wrote:

You cannot have spaces in web addresses though, can you? I was thinking
this too but decided it has to be something like underscore or something
else. brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Rui Fontes" <rui.fontes@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Friday, September 29, 2017 7:50 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Where are the recordings?

Replace %20 by space.

Rui



De: "Roger Stewart" <paganus2@...>
Para: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Assunto: Re: [nvda] Where are the recordings?
Data: 29 de setembro de 2017 15:49

I just tried this and the link appears to be totally dead!!  By this, I
mean it doesn't even try to open a browser at all let alone give me a
page not found error or anything--it just says visited after I choose it
but then just sits there.  What's wrong?

Roger

On 9/28/2017 7:03 PM, dingpengyu06@... wrote:
All of you are good, this is the last week of the activities of the
recording, the following is the download address: because there is no
reason to deal with, so the volume will be relatively large, so a lot of
inclusive. Http://123.206.102.220/NVDA%20plugin%20community%
<http://123.206.102.220/NVDA%20plugin%20community%> 20activities.7z






Re: WebAim Screen Reader User Survey #7: Getting The Word Out About NVDA

Sarah k Alawami
 

I already took it as I use nvda, voiceover and talkback so I talked about all 3 on there to the best of my ability.

Take care

On Sep 30, 2017, at 6:36 AM, Bhavya shah <bhavya.shah125@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Joseph,
While I agree with what you are trying to convey, I do sincerely
believe that NVDA usage shares are sometimes underrepresented due to
limited disemination of this survey within the NVDA community (which
consists of people from Asia, Africa and South America, regions less
active in the context of such surveys). While I acknowledge that my
wording of this mail may have been of a promotional nature, I would
like to reiterate that our core intent in filling surveys like
WebAim's screen reader user survey should be to provide more data
about the AT industry to interested parties so as to make it more
reflective of the actualities. Having said that, I would highly
encourage users of NVDA as well as other Desktop and mobile screen
readers to participate enthusiastically in such surveys on their own
volition.
Thanks.

On 9/30/17, Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,
I would like to stress that people should show willingness to participate in
this survey. Last time, a screen reader vendor did promote this survey
heavily, which resulted in unintended side effect of skewing the resulting
data, and I do not want to see someone repeating that. Promotion is good,
but I think using this survey as a fuel for promoting NVDA isn't a good
idea; rather, it is better to promote NVDA on a continual basis, not during
big events like this.
Cheers,
Joseph

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Bhavya
shah
Sent: Saturday, September 30, 2017 6:20 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] WebAim Screen Reader User Survey #7: Getting The Word Out
About NVDA

Dear all,
Since almost a decade, WebAim, a non-profit web accessibility consultancy
organisation, has been conducting an annual (sometimes
biennial) survey, which, as its name implies, attempts to gather statistics
about the usage share of different screen readers, technology (particularly
Internet) accessibility trends, etc. so as to aid analysts, researchers,
accessibility consultants, sighted developers, and mainstream companies to
get a quantified picture of the state of the AT industry.
While this survey features participation from varied geographies, NVDA’s
user base, at least in my personal view, has always been understated. While
8% respondents of the first December 2008 WebAim survey reported to be NVDA
users, this figure has only increased to 14% of respondents in its 2015
counterpart claiming to use NVDA as their primary screen reader and 41%
using it commonly, a usage share substantially lower than NVDA’s commercial
and more expensive screen reading alternatives.
I think it would be a great way of playing our tiny part in getting the word
out about NVDA’s viability and competency if all NVDA community members,
users, testers and other related parties, particularly from second and third
world developing regions which often remain silent for such surveys but
where free and open source NVDA makes a prominent impact, take this survey
and contribute to letting the world know about the size and standing of the
NVDA user base.
The URL of said survey is https://webaim.org/projects/screenreadersurvey7/
.
It took me about ten minutes to fill this survey and the form was extremely
accessible. Not only from an NVDA angle, but filling such surveys always
brings out useful and reflective data, which, in turn, betters AT as a
whole. Therefore, I urge everyone to take some time out for this survey so
that we can make the data truly reflective of the actualities.
Thanks.
P.S. I am in no way affiliated to WebAim nor is my intention to merely
promote this survey.

--
Best Regards
Bhavya Shah

Blogger at Hiking Across Horizons: https://bhavyashah125.wordpress.com/

Contacting Me
E-mail Address: bhavya.shah125@gmail.com Follow me on Twitter @BhavyaShah125
or www.twitter.com/BhavyaShah125 Mobile Number: +91 7506221750








--
Best Regards
Bhavya Shah

Blogger at Hiking Across Horizons: https://bhavyashah125.wordpress.com/

Contacting Me
E-mail Address: bhavya.shah125@gmail.com
Follow me on Twitter @BhavyaShah125 or www.twitter.com/BhavyaShah125
Mobile Number: +91 7506221750



Re: Where are the recordings?

Sarah k Alawami
 

Ok, I transferred it to my server, it should be there in I kid you not, 8 hours. Um?  Ok? I have over 120 mbos down and maybe 100 mbps up on that server so geting it for you guys should be no problems. I'll keep it up there for about a month if that is ok with all of you.

Take care all.

On Sep 30, 2017, at 7:36 AM, Roger Stewart <paganus2@...> wrote:

Ok, I'm getting it now!  Thanks for the correct address.  You are right--it is a very very slow server--must be on dial up on their end but at least I should have it in a couple hours.

Roger









On 9/30/2017 4:06 AM, Antony Stone wrote:
Spaces are perfectly valid in web addresses.

The problem with them is that most email clients and similar applications
can't tell whether the space and the next word are still part of the address,
or if the address has finished and the next word is just a word, so therefore
spaces are often converted to %20 so that the entire address string is
continuous.

Typing an address, complete with spaces, into a web browser, however, is
perfectly valid.

The fundamental problem being discussed in this thread is in fact that someone
fairly early on posted a URL which doesn't work.

http://123.206.102.220/NVDA%20plugin%20community%20activities.7z

is the correct URL and works, although very very slowly.


Antony.

On Saturday 30 September 2017 at 10:55:57, Brian's Mail list account via
Groups.Io wrote:

You cannot have spaces in web addresses though, can you? I was thinking
this too but decided it has to be something like underscore or something
else. brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Rui Fontes" <rui.fontes@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Friday, September 29, 2017 7:50 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Where are the recordings?

Replace %20 by space.

Rui



De: "Roger Stewart" <paganus2@...>
Para: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Assunto: Re: [nvda] Where are the recordings?
Data: 29 de setembro de 2017 15:49

I just tried this and the link appears to be totally dead!!  By this, I
mean it doesn't even try to open a browser at all let alone give me a
page not found error or anything--it just says visited after I choose it
but then just sits there.  What's wrong?

Roger

On 9/28/2017 7:03 PM, dingpengyu06@... wrote:
All of you are good, this is the last week of the activities of the
recording, the following is the download address: because there is no
reason to deal with, so the volume will be relatively large, so a lot of
inclusive. Http://123.206.102.220/NVDA%20plugin%20community%
<http://123.206.102.220/NVDA%20plugin%20community%> 20activities.7z





Re: Where are the recordings?

Sarah k Alawami
 

If all of you want I can transfer it to mine   for a while. Let me know and Ill get started on this now.

On Sep 30, 2017, at 7:36 AM, Roger Stewart <paganus2@...> wrote:

Ok, I'm getting it now!  Thanks for the correct address.  You are right--it is a very very slow server--must be on dial up on their end but at least I should have it in a couple hours.

Roger









On 9/30/2017 4:06 AM, Antony Stone wrote:
Spaces are perfectly valid in web addresses.

The problem with them is that most email clients and similar applications
can't tell whether the space and the next word are still part of the address,
or if the address has finished and the next word is just a word, so therefore
spaces are often converted to %20 so that the entire address string is
continuous.

Typing an address, complete with spaces, into a web browser, however, is
perfectly valid.

The fundamental problem being discussed in this thread is in fact that someone
fairly early on posted a URL which doesn't work.

http://123.206.102.220/NVDA%20plugin%20community%20activities.7z

is the correct URL and works, although very very slowly.


Antony.

On Saturday 30 September 2017 at 10:55:57, Brian's Mail list account via
Groups.Io wrote:

You cannot have spaces in web addresses though, can you? I was thinking
this too but decided it has to be something like underscore or something
else. brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Rui Fontes" <rui.fontes@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Friday, September 29, 2017 7:50 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Where are the recordings?

Replace %20 by space.

Rui



De: "Roger Stewart" <paganus2@...>
Para: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Assunto: Re: [nvda] Where are the recordings?
Data: 29 de setembro de 2017 15:49

I just tried this and the link appears to be totally dead!!  By this, I
mean it doesn't even try to open a browser at all let alone give me a
page not found error or anything--it just says visited after I choose it
but then just sits there.  What's wrong?

Roger

On 9/28/2017 7:03 PM, dingpengyu06@... wrote:
All of you are good, this is the last week of the activities of the
recording, the following is the download address: because there is no
reason to deal with, so the volume will be relatively large, so a lot of
inclusive. Http://123.206.102.220/NVDA%20plugin%20community%
<http://123.206.102.220/NVDA%20plugin%20community%> 20activities.7z





Re: sync thing is it good

Sarah k Alawami
 

Hello, go to tffppodcast.com/listen and look for the blog post on syncthing. It's 100 percent accessible and very easy to use. 
 The interface changed the last time I wrote the blog post but I love the program. You have to exchange details wiht the person you want to share the folder with but I like this better.
Take care

On Sep 30, 2017, at 8:23 AM, Bobby Vinton <vinton.bobby5277@...> wrote:

Hay I was wondering about the program sync thing.  I was wondering how to share files and folders with this program.  Can some one go over how to use sync thing to share folders and files because it’s portible and it looks very accessible or can some one do a pod cast on how to use this program
 
Sent from Mail for Windows 10
 


sync thing is it good

Bobby Vinton
 

Hay I was wondering about the program sync thing.  I was wondering how to share files and folders with this program.  Can some one go over how to use sync thing to share folders and files because it’s portible and it looks very accessible or can some one do a pod cast on how to use this program

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 


Re: Necessary training to write a screen reader?

Didier Colle
 

Dear Mike,


In this article http://tvraman.github.io/emacspeak/manual/Emacspeak-At-Twenty.html#Emacspeak-At-Twenty you might read a similar story for emacspeak (thus not NVDA).


It appears that he had the very kernel of emacspeak running in only 4 hours.

As mentioned by someone else a screen reader is just another program, that you should be able to develop with the concepts you learn in a cs education.

Diving into accessibility and other APIs is the starting point, then you start with a very small core of the thing that can do basic stuff and from there on you grow it further to a real product (which takes manyfolds of the effort and time that goes in the very basic core of your product).


Kind regards,


Didier


On 29/09/2017 22:29, Walker, Michael E wrote:

Hi,

 

When I read about how NVDA was born by a blind developer starting and writing it back in 2006, where do you think he would have even gotten the training to write a screen reader? I know that one would not get this from college alone. College may teach the fundamentals of Computer Science with an introduction to some specialized topics like security and cryptography, image processing, networking, and multimedia, but writing a screen reader has to be a highly complex undertaking. I am not looking to write one, but am intrigued by NVDA’s history.

 

Thanks,

Mike



Re: Where are the recordings?

Roger Stewart
 

Ok, I'm getting it now! Thanks for the correct address. You are right--it is a very very slow server--must be on dial up on their end but at least I should have it in a couple hours.

Roger

On 9/30/2017 4:06 AM, Antony Stone wrote:
Spaces are perfectly valid in web addresses.

The problem with them is that most email clients and similar applications
can't tell whether the space and the next word are still part of the address,
or if the address has finished and the next word is just a word, so therefore
spaces are often converted to %20 so that the entire address string is
continuous.

Typing an address, complete with spaces, into a web browser, however, is
perfectly valid.

The fundamental problem being discussed in this thread is in fact that someone
fairly early on posted a URL which doesn't work.

http://123.206.102.220/NVDA%20plugin%20community%20activities.7z

is the correct URL and works, although very very slowly.


Antony.

On Saturday 30 September 2017 at 10:55:57, Brian's Mail list account via
Groups.Io wrote:

You cannot have spaces in web addresses though, can you? I was thinking
this too but decided it has to be something like underscore or something
else. brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Rui Fontes" <rui.fontes@tiflotecnia.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Friday, September 29, 2017 7:50 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Where are the recordings?

Replace %20 by space.

Rui



De: "Roger Stewart" <paganus2@gmail.com>
Para: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Assunto: Re: [nvda] Where are the recordings?
Data: 29 de setembro de 2017 15:49

I just tried this and the link appears to be totally dead!! By this, I
mean it doesn't even try to open a browser at all let alone give me a
page not found error or anything--it just says visited after I choose it
but then just sits there. What's wrong?

Roger

On 9/28/2017 7:03 PM, dingpengyu06@gmail.com wrote:
All of you are good, this is the last week of the activities of the
recording, the following is the download address: because there is no
reason to deal with, so the volume will be relatively large, so a lot of
inclusive. Http://123.206.102.220/NVDA%20plugin%20community%
<http://123.206.102.220/NVDA%20plugin%20community%> 20activities.7z


Re: question

Giles Turnbull
 

I think I need to install the cardboard sheet method Brian suggests, because I cannot find any system setting or notification area icon relating to my touchpad.

I use an Asus gaming laptop and, reading posts from Asus forums it seems others have been frustrated by not being able to de-activate their touchpads.

Anybody else with an Asus laptop found a way to deactivate their touchpad? I'd love to know! :)

Cheers,

Giles


Re: WebAim Screen Reader User Survey #7: Getting The Word Out About NVDA

Bhavya shah
 

Hi Joseph,
While I agree with what you are trying to convey, I do sincerely
believe that NVDA usage shares are sometimes underrepresented due to
limited disemination of this survey within the NVDA community (which
consists of people from Asia, Africa and South America, regions less
active in the context of such surveys). While I acknowledge that my
wording of this mail may have been of a promotional nature, I would
like to reiterate that our core intent in filling surveys like
WebAim's screen reader user survey should be to provide more data
about the AT industry to interested parties so as to make it more
reflective of the actualities. Having said that, I would highly
encourage users of NVDA as well as other Desktop and mobile screen
readers to participate enthusiastically in such surveys on their own
volition.
Thanks.

On 9/30/17, Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,
I would like to stress that people should show willingness to participate in
this survey. Last time, a screen reader vendor did promote this survey
heavily, which resulted in unintended side effect of skewing the resulting
data, and I do not want to see someone repeating that. Promotion is good,
but I think using this survey as a fuel for promoting NVDA isn't a good
idea; rather, it is better to promote NVDA on a continual basis, not during
big events like this.
Cheers,
Joseph

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Bhavya
shah
Sent: Saturday, September 30, 2017 6:20 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] WebAim Screen Reader User Survey #7: Getting The Word Out
About NVDA

Dear all,
Since almost a decade, WebAim, a non-profit web accessibility consultancy
organisation, has been conducting an annual (sometimes
biennial) survey, which, as its name implies, attempts to gather statistics
about the usage share of different screen readers, technology (particularly
Internet) accessibility trends, etc. so as to aid analysts, researchers,
accessibility consultants, sighted developers, and mainstream companies to
get a quantified picture of the state of the AT industry.
While this survey features participation from varied geographies, NVDA’s
user base, at least in my personal view, has always been understated. While
8% respondents of the first December 2008 WebAim survey reported to be NVDA
users, this figure has only increased to 14% of respondents in its 2015
counterpart claiming to use NVDA as their primary screen reader and 41%
using it commonly, a usage share substantially lower than NVDA’s commercial
and more expensive screen reading alternatives.
I think it would be a great way of playing our tiny part in getting the word
out about NVDA’s viability and competency if all NVDA community members,
users, testers and other related parties, particularly from second and third
world developing regions which often remain silent for such surveys but
where free and open source NVDA makes a prominent impact, take this survey
and contribute to letting the world know about the size and standing of the
NVDA user base.
The URL of said survey is https://webaim.org/projects/screenreadersurvey7/
.
It took me about ten minutes to fill this survey and the form was extremely
accessible. Not only from an NVDA angle, but filling such surveys always
brings out useful and reflective data, which, in turn, betters AT as a
whole. Therefore, I urge everyone to take some time out for this survey so
that we can make the data truly reflective of the actualities.
Thanks.
P.S. I am in no way affiliated to WebAim nor is my intention to merely
promote this survey.

--
Best Regards
Bhavya Shah

Blogger at Hiking Across Horizons: https://bhavyashah125.wordpress.com/

Contacting Me
E-mail Address: bhavya.shah125@gmail.com Follow me on Twitter @BhavyaShah125
or www.twitter.com/BhavyaShah125 Mobile Number: +91 7506221750







--
Best Regards
Bhavya Shah

Blogger at Hiking Across Horizons: https://bhavyashah125.wordpress.com/

Contacting Me
E-mail Address: bhavya.shah125@gmail.com
Follow me on Twitter @BhavyaShah125 or www.twitter.com/BhavyaShah125
Mobile Number: +91 7506221750


Re: WebAim Screen Reader User Survey #7: Getting The Word Out About NVDA

 

Hi,
I would like to stress that people should show willingness to participate in this survey. Last time, a screen reader vendor did promote this survey heavily, which resulted in unintended side effect of skewing the resulting data, and I do not want to see someone repeating that. Promotion is good, but I think using this survey as a fuel for promoting NVDA isn't a good idea; rather, it is better to promote NVDA on a continual basis, not during big events like this.
Cheers,
Joseph

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Bhavya shah
Sent: Saturday, September 30, 2017 6:20 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] WebAim Screen Reader User Survey #7: Getting The Word Out About NVDA

Dear all,
Since almost a decade, WebAim, a non-profit web accessibility consultancy organisation, has been conducting an annual (sometimes
biennial) survey, which, as its name implies, attempts to gather statistics about the usage share of different screen readers, technology (particularly Internet) accessibility trends, etc. so as to aid analysts, researchers, accessibility consultants, sighted developers, and mainstream companies to get a quantified picture of the state of the AT industry.
While this survey features participation from varied geographies, NVDA’s user base, at least in my personal view, has always been understated. While 8% respondents of the first December 2008 WebAim survey reported to be NVDA users, this figure has only increased to 14% of respondents in its 2015 counterpart claiming to use NVDA as their primary screen reader and 41% using it commonly, a usage share substantially lower than NVDA’s commercial and more expensive screen reading alternatives.
I think it would be a great way of playing our tiny part in getting the word out about NVDA’s viability and competency if all NVDA community members, users, testers and other related parties, particularly from second and third world developing regions which often remain silent for such surveys but where free and open source NVDA makes a prominent impact, take this survey and contribute to letting the world know about the size and standing of the NVDA user base.
The URL of said survey is https://webaim.org/projects/screenreadersurvey7/ .
It took me about ten minutes to fill this survey and the form was extremely accessible. Not only from an NVDA angle, but filling such surveys always brings out useful and reflective data, which, in turn, betters AT as a whole. Therefore, I urge everyone to take some time out for this survey so that we can make the data truly reflective of the actualities.
Thanks.
P.S. I am in no way affiliated to WebAim nor is my intention to merely promote this survey.

--
Best Regards
Bhavya Shah

Blogger at Hiking Across Horizons: https://bhavyashah125.wordpress.com/

Contacting Me
E-mail Address: bhavya.shah125@gmail.com Follow me on Twitter @BhavyaShah125 or www.twitter.com/BhavyaShah125 Mobile Number: +91 7506221750


WebAim Screen Reader User Survey #7: Getting The Word Out About NVDA

Bhavya shah
 

Dear all,
Since almost a decade, WebAim, a non-profit web accessibility
consultancy organisation, has been conducting an annual (sometimes
biennial) survey, which, as its name implies, attempts to gather
statistics about the usage share of different screen readers,
technology (particularly Internet) accessibility trends, etc. so as to
aid analysts, researchers, accessibility consultants, sighted
developers, and mainstream companies to get a quantified picture of
the state of the AT industry.
While this survey features participation from varied geographies,
NVDA’s user base, at least in my personal view, has always been
understated. While 8% respondents of the first December 2008 WebAim
survey reported to be NVDA users, this figure has only increased to
14% of respondents in its 2015 counterpart claiming to use NVDA as
their primary screen reader and 41% using it commonly, a usage share
substantially lower than NVDA’s commercial and more expensive screen
reading alternatives.
I think it would be a great way of playing our tiny part in getting
the word out about NVDA’s viability and competency if all NVDA
community members, users, testers and other related parties,
particularly from second and third world developing regions which
often remain silent for such surveys but where free and open source
NVDA makes a prominent impact, take this survey and contribute to
letting the world know about the size and standing of the NVDA user
base.
The URL of said survey is https://webaim.org/projects/screenreadersurvey7/ .
It took me about ten minutes to fill this survey and the form was
extremely accessible. Not only from an NVDA angle, but filling such
surveys always brings out useful and reflective data, which, in turn,
betters AT as a whole. Therefore, I urge everyone to take some time
out for this survey so that we can make the data truly reflective of
the actualities.
Thanks.
P.S. I am in no way affiliated to WebAim nor is my intention to merely
promote this survey.

--
Best Regards
Bhavya Shah

Blogger at Hiking Across Horizons: https://bhavyashah125.wordpress.com/

Contacting Me
E-mail Address: bhavya.shah125@gmail.com
Follow me on Twitter @BhavyaShah125 or www.twitter.com/BhavyaShah125
Mobile Number: +91 7506221750


Re: question

anthony borg
 

Hi brian
The problem was because I use the sticky keys, so now when I turned it off, the fn key worked.
Thanks for your help

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io
Sent: 30 September 2017 11:13
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] question

There are obviously different ways in this series of computers, presumably depending on model operating system and possibly some special editions versions now appearing as second user ex commercial use machines.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Noah Davis" <mostawesomenoah@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, September 30, 2017 1:04 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] question


You might try pressing windows+X and going to the mobility center and
turning off the touchpad from there. That's what I did and I also have
a Dell laptop from the Inspiron line.
-Noah

On 9/29/17, Quentin Christensen <quentin@nvaccess.org> wrote:
I think Fn+F3, just looking at an image on the net.

On Sat, Sep 30, 2017 at 3:59 AM, anthony borg <anthonyborg001@gmail.com>
wrote:

Hi list

I have a dell laptop model inspiration 15-3537.

I wonder if someone can tell me what hot keys should use to enable or
disable the touchpad from the keyboard.

Thanks in advance

Anthony



--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available:
http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

www.nvaccess.org
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess
Twitter: @NVAccess


Re: question

Gene
 

Look in the system tray for something like synaptics pointing device or whatever is appropriate.  Right single click it and look through the multipage dialog that opens.  I believe the settings are more likely to be there than elsewhere.
 
----- Original Message -----

Sent: Saturday, September 30, 2017 4:09 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] question
 
Hi noah
I entered in to mobility center, but the word touchpad isn't there.
Thanks in advance
Anthony

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Noah Davis
Sent: 30 September 2017 02:04
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] question

You might try pressing windows+X and going to the mobility center and turning off the touchpad from there. That's what I did and I also have a Dell laptop from the Inspiron line.
-Noah

On 9/29/17, Quentin Christensen <quentin@...> wrote:
> I think Fn+F3, just looking at an image on the net.
>
> On Sat, Sep 30, 2017 at 3:59 AM, anthony borg
> <anthonyborg001@...>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi list
>>
>> I have a dell laptop model inspiration 15-3537.
>>
>> I wonder if someone can tell me what hot keys should use to enable or
>> disable the touchpad from the keyboard.
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>>
>> Anthony
>>
>>
>>
>
>
> --
> Quentin Christensen
> Training and Support Manager
>
> Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available:
> http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/
>
> www.nvaccess.org
> Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess
> Twitter: @NVAccess
>







Re: problem nvda with hotspot shield

Mahmood HoZhabri <mahmood.hojabri@...>
 

this is an app for open blocks site in countries.
i want sign in but when i find username edit field crashed.

2017-09-30 12:44 GMT+03:30 Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io <bglists@...>:

I've not heard of hotspot shield what is its purpose exactly?
It could be that both programs are attempting to access something at the same time.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Mahmood HoZhabri" <mahmood.hojabri@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, September 30, 2017 8:14 AM
Subject: [nvda] problem nvda with hotspot shield


Hello, I use hotspot shield for open block sites, and I use nvda screen
reader, when I use navigation mode for sign in to my account, when NVDA
reads username edit, nvda and hss crashed and I must open nvda again and
open hotspot shield (hss) again. please solve this problem.

--
با سپاس, محمود هژبری







--
با سپاس, محمود هژبری