Date   

Re: NVDA 2017.3 and Outlook 2003

Rosemarie Chavarria
 

Hi, Brian,

 

I love that bit about the ice box and horse and buggie and communication by telegram. Oh--don't forget the log cabin with no running water, no indoor plumbing and no electricity--hahahahahahahahaha. Ordinarily I don't like to make fun of people but I don't understand why someone would want to keep an old system that isn't supported anymore. I know that there are organizations out there that can help blind people get either new or refurvished computers if they can't afford a new one. After all, the world does change and we have to move with it.

 

Rosemarie

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Wednesday, October 11, 2017 6:55 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA 2017.3 and Outlook 2003

 

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 11:24 pm, zahra wrote:

i agree with maintaining all old aincient technology forever!
its freedom of choice for every person and his-her right to select the
favorite programs, office, operating systems etc!

Good luck with that.

I hope you enjoy your icebox, that horse and buggy you have, and sending communications by telegraph.

The world changes and the wise change with it.
 
--
Brian  Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1703, Build 15063  (dot level on request - it changes too often to keep in signature)

     The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement.  But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.

            Niels Bohr

 

 


Re: idea for libreOffice

 

As was already explained, that piece of software is no longer needed, and hasn't been needed for a couple years now.


There are many other things to be done, however. They have already taken care of the Java Access Bridge deal.





On 10/11/2017 6:24 PM, Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:

It's possible your idea might make libre office more stable.

 

 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Josh Kennedy
Sent: Wednesday, October 11, 2017 9:39 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] idea for libreOffice

 

I had an idea. Not sure if this would make libreoffice more stable and functional or not but here it goes.

Rather than libreoffice and openoffice relying on the java access bridge, both libreoffice and openoffice should have a feature to detect when NVDA is loaded. If loaded, libreoffice could probably run much more stable and provide much better accessibility if it directly used the NVDA controller client to provide direct accessibility by having NVDA braille and speak exactly what needs spoken and or brailled. This may enable the reading of charts and graphs in calc, better access in writer, complete access to impress, and the math tools. Not sure if this will go anywhere. But it was just an idea. And if it works we would have two excellent 100% accessible up to date and free office suites that, just as a braille notetaker like the brailleNote speaks exactly what is needed when needed, no more no less, same with braille... So if libreoffice and or openoffice used NVDA controller client rather than java access bridge which may be the cause of its instability? Then perhaps NVDA would work great with these applications.

 

Josh

 

-- 
sent with mozilla thunderbird


Re: idea for libreOffice

Rosemarie Chavarria
 

It's possible your idea might make libre office more stable.

 

 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Josh Kennedy
Sent: Wednesday, October 11, 2017 9:39 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] idea for libreOffice

 

I had an idea. Not sure if this would make libreoffice more stable and functional or not but here it goes.

Rather than libreoffice and openoffice relying on the java access bridge, both libreoffice and openoffice should have a feature to detect when NVDA is loaded. If loaded, libreoffice could probably run much more stable and provide much better accessibility if it directly used the NVDA controller client to provide direct accessibility by having NVDA braille and speak exactly what needs spoken and or brailled. This may enable the reading of charts and graphs in calc, better access in writer, complete access to impress, and the math tools. Not sure if this will go anywhere. But it was just an idea. And if it works we would have two excellent 100% accessible up to date and free office suites that, just as a braille notetaker like the brailleNote speaks exactly what is needed when needed, no more no less, same with braille... So if libreoffice and or openoffice used NVDA controller client rather than java access bridge which may be the cause of its instability? Then perhaps NVDA would work great with these applications.

 

Josh

 

-- 
sent with mozilla thunderbird


Re: something people should be aware of

Rosemarie Chavarria
 

I remember dog pile. It was a search engine. I heard about it through a friend.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Travis Siegel
Sent: Wednesday, October 11, 2017 1:05 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] something people should be aware of

Anyone remember the search engine dogpile?

It was a search engine that would submit your search to several other search engines, then collate the results, and present them in one unified interface. Very nice, and I used it a lot. I was very disappointed when it went bye-bye. Another search engine I liked very much was findwhat. It rarely returned more than a page of results, and each and every time, the results were always relevant to what I was searching for. Even google doesn't give me that kind of return on my searches.


On 10/10/2017 5:07 AM, Shaun Everiss wrote:
Well I do hope we don't use all of them all at once.

However if you had them in some sort iof array and needed to do extra
queries about things then maybe.

Siri is quite acurate for apple googles one has a few more advantages,
amazons stuff is growing ms I don't know but yeah, if something used
all of them and then one of them gave the answer you needed that would
be good.

Obviously I hope one could just use which one he or she wanted, but
there is no reason that they all couldn't talk together about an
issue, ofcause there would be data and abattery things if all had to
upload to eachother but maybe it could be compressed.

Right now though if you have apple you have siri with google you have
google.

With samsung you have samsung whatever they use.

So as long as you don't install their apps of various things
technically who knows.

I do hope you can set control of whatever you have.

On the other hand if you could run all of them, then only have one
envoke with its word and well depending on where etc you chose.

Though if they all ran together hmmm.




On 10/10/2017 8:52 p.m., Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
It only mentions the smart phone versions here. I unfortunately can
see a day when we have multiple voice and text accessible assistants
on every device, all arguing with each other about what you actually
wanted in the first place New scientist is calling AI Artificial
Ignorance, by the way.
I feel that we should be able to define the areas of our lives these
things can get involved in, and how long before some smarty pants
comes up with one that asks them all and presents all their answers
in a usable way.

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Shaun Everiss"
<@smeveriss>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Tuesday, October 10, 2017 1:55 AM
Subject: [nvda] something people should be aware of


Hi.

was reading skype blogs and found this.

https://blogs.skype.com/news/2017/10/09/introducing-cortana-skype-mi
crosofts-intelligent-assistant-comes-chat-window/


I really hope that there will be a way to make this shove right off
if one wants to.

There is nothing worse than something bringing up suggestions and
thinking what to say, if I want this now then I can put several bits
of spyware and ransom ware on my system, and forget about skype.

While I see a benifit in this, I really hope we can envoke this at
will, if not then maybe I will have to use windows xp for skype
instead <sigh>







.




Re: list boxes in NVDA

Rosemarie Chavarria
 

I just updated firefox and it works great so-far.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Ian Westerland
Sent: Wednesday, October 11, 2017 1:24 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] list boxes in NVDA

Yes, I have Firefox which will need updating.
This is probably a good time to update my Browsers as it seems Internet Explorer is going to be phased out in favour of Edge.

Chrome is one I haven't investigated a great deal, but when I have, it hasn't been easy to get even a basic understanding.
So I'll start with Firefox. Windows 10 has just been upgraded so Microsoft Edge will be worth another look.

Oh, the joys and challenges of keeping up-to-date with computers and programs and many people think that those of us who are blind have nothing to do with our time.
Such are the myths still alive in our supposedly informed world.

Ian




On 10/12/2017 2:58 AM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
I would heartily advise trying Firefox or Chrome as well. You can have
them all on the system with no issues.
I gave up on chrome myself but just because I could not get my brain
around the way to use it veery easily, not to condemn it for that of
course.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Ian Westerland"
<iwesterl@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, October 11, 2017 12:06 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] list boxes in NVDA




Hi!

Latest Internet Explorer


On 10/11/2017 9:18 PM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
What browser version has to be the next question.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Ian Westerland"
<iwesterl@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, October 11, 2017 10:15 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] list boxes in NVDA


Hi Antony.
It's an online review page.





On 10/11/2017 8:12 PM, Antony Stone wrote:
Is this an online web page, a PDF they send you, a Word document,
or what?

Is there any way we can see the ratings system without being a
customer?

It always helps if we can see the same things as you're having
problems with so we can think of possible answers.


Antony.

On Wednesday 11 October 2017 at 11:10:20, Ian Westerland wrote:

Hello. So far so good. NVDA is working out nicely. One area causing
some difficulty is around list boxes.

I use a home delivery service for some meals and they have a ratings
system to fill in after each order to help with Restaurant ratings.

NVDA doesn't seem to find the list boxes and doesn't speak the numbers
in the boxes for me to complete the review.

There are three list boxes plus an area for a short written review. I
can acess the written review section but not the other three boxes or
the numbers in them.
Is there something I am doing wrong?

Thank you.


Ian Westerland










Re: Mail Program Suggestions

Rosemarie Chavarria
 

Hi, Earl,

In the mail app you have to go to settings to turn off conversation mode. As
far as mail programs, I'm using outlook 2013.

Rosemarie

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Earle
Zwicker
Sent: Wednesday, October 11, 2017 1:30 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Mail Program Suggestions

Just wondering what programs people are using for mail? I have Windows 10
creater, and I still haven't found something I'm completely happy with.

I've tried Thunder bird, but found it to be a bit sluggish.

I've also tried the mail program that's built in, but for some reason
message threads are open by default, and I don't see an option to change
this behaviour.

So if anyone has any suggestions on how I can fix these problems, or another
email program, I would really appreciate it. Thanks for any help you can
give me.

Earle

Sent from my iPhone


New version of espeak NG

Marco Oros
 

Hi!
I know, that some people dislike Espeak, but I have a question.
Have You update Espeak NG in the next version of NVDA to the new version?
I don't know, where to ask this question, so I rather ask It here.
There are also new languages too, some inprovements for another languages also.
Thank You.
Marco Oros


Re: Mail Program Suggestions

Randy Barnett <randy@...>
 

Some people are still useing Outlook express. It is being kept alive by someone out there... Just google it.

On 10/11/2017 1:29 PM, Earle Zwicker wrote:
Just wondering what programs people are using for mail? I have Windows 10 creater, and I still haven't found something I'm completely happy with.

I've tried Thunder bird, but found it to be a bit sluggish.

I've also tried the mail program that's built in, but for some reason message threads are open by default, and I don't see an option to change this behaviour.

So if anyone has any suggestions on how I can fix these problems, or another email program, I would really appreciate it. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Earle

Sent from my iPhone
--
Sincereley: Randy Barnett
Owner of Soundtique.
707-502-5575
1897 SE Dr.
Grants Pass, Or. 97526


Mail Program Suggestions

Earle Zwicker
 

Just wondering what programs people are using for mail? I have Windows 10 creater, and I still haven't found something I'm completely happy with.

I've tried Thunder bird, but found it to be a bit sluggish.

I've also tried the mail program that's built in, but for some reason message threads are open by default, and I don't see an option to change this behaviour.

So if anyone has any suggestions on how I can fix these problems, or another email program, I would really appreciate it. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Earle

Sent from my iPhone


Re: list boxes in NVDA

Ian Westerland
 

Yes, I have Firefox which will need updating.
This is probably a good time to update my Browsers as it seems Internet Explorer is going to be phased out in favour of Edge.

Chrome is one I haven't investigated a great deal, but when I have, it hasn't been easy to get even a basic understanding.
So I'll start with Firefox. Windows 10 has just been upgraded so Microsoft Edge will be worth another look.

Oh, the joys and challenges of keeping up-to-date with computers and programs and many people think that those of us who are blind have nothing to do with our time.
Such are the myths still alive in our supposedly informed world.

Ian

On 10/12/2017 2:58 AM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
I would heartily advise trying Firefox or Chrome as well. You can have them all on the system with no issues.
I gave up on chrome myself but just because I could not get my brain around the way to use it veery easily, not to condemn it for that of course.
Brian
bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Ian Westerland" <iwesterl@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, October 11, 2017 12:06 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] list boxes in NVDA
Hi!
Latest Internet Explorer
On 10/11/2017 9:18 PM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
What browser version has to be the next question.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Ian Westerland" <iwesterl@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, October 11, 2017 10:15 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] list boxes in NVDA


Hi Antony.
It's an online review page.





On 10/11/2017 8:12 PM, Antony Stone wrote:
Is this an online web page, a PDF they send you, a Word document, or what?

Is there any way we can see the ratings system without being a customer?

It always helps if we can see the same things as you're having problems with
so we can think of possible answers.


Antony.

On Wednesday 11 October 2017 at 11:10:20, Ian Westerland wrote:

Hello. So far so good. NVDA is working out nicely. One area causing
some difficulty is around list boxes.

I use a home delivery service for some meals and they have a ratings
system to fill in after each order to help with Restaurant ratings.

NVDA doesn't seem to find the list boxes and doesn't speak the numbers
in the boxes for me to complete the review.

There are three list boxes plus an area for a short written review. I
can acess the written review section but not the other three boxes or
the numbers in them.
Is there something I am doing wrong?

Thank you.


Ian Westerland





Re: something people should be aware of

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>
 

Anyone remember the search engine dogpile?

It was a search engine that would submit your search to several other search engines, then collate the results, and present them in one unified interface.  Very nice, and I used it a lot.  I was very disappointed when it went bye-bye.  Another search engine I liked very much was findwhat.  It rarely returned more than a page of results, and each and every time, the results were always relevant to what I was searching for.  Even google doesn't give me that kind of return on my searches.

On 10/10/2017 5:07 AM, Shaun Everiss wrote:
Well I do hope we don't use all of them all at once.

However if you had them in some sort iof array and needed to do extra queries about things then maybe.

Siri is quite acurate for apple googles one has a few more advantages, amazons stuff is growing ms I don't know but yeah, if something used all of them and then one of them gave the answer you needed that would be good.

Obviously I hope one could just use which one he or she wanted, but there is no reason that they all couldn't talk together about an issue, ofcause there would be data and abattery things if all had to upload to eachother but maybe it could be compressed.

Right now though if you have apple you have siri with google you have google.

With samsung you have samsung whatever they use.

So as long as you don't install their apps of various things technically who knows.

I do hope you can set control of whatever you have.

On the other hand if you could run all of them, then only have one envoke with its word and well depending on where etc you chose.

Though if they all ran together hmmm.




On 10/10/2017 8:52 p.m., Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
It only mentions the smart phone versions here. I unfortunately can see a day when we have multiple voice and text accessible assistants on every device, all arguing with each other about what you actually wanted in the first place
New scientist is calling AI Artificial Ignorance, by the way.
I feel that we should be able to define the areas of our lives these things can get involved in, and how long before some smarty pants comes up with one that asks them all and presents all their answers in a usable way.

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Shaun Everiss" <@smeveriss>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Tuesday, October 10, 2017 1:55 AM
Subject: [nvda] something people should be aware of


Hi.

was reading skype blogs and found this.

https://blogs.skype.com/news/2017/10/09/introducing-cortana-skype-microsofts-intelligent-assistant-comes-chat-window/

I really hope that there will be a way to make this shove right off if one wants to.

There is nothing worse than something bringing up suggestions and thinking what to say, if I want this now then I can put several bits of spyware and ransom ware on my system, and forget about skype.

While I see a benifit in this, I really hope we can envoke this at will, if not then maybe I will have to use windows xp for skype instead <sigh>







.



Re: screen readers

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>
 

Actually, I don't have this problem.

When I'm reading large chunks of text, my screen will blank, but NVDA keeps right on reading, just as if the screen wasn't blanked at all.  I'll have to check my settings to be sure, but I think I have it set to blank the screen, but not to go to sleep as a whole, so that could be why it continues reading for me.

On 10/9/2017 10:34 PM, zahra wrote:
hi.
just set screen saver to none and read any pages that you need with sayAll.
nvda stopss working after some minutes when you use sayAll, if screen
saver is active, says unknown and you need to press insert or capslock
plus down arrow keys to continue reading.
i use windows xp and dont know where exactly screen saver is, but you
can search and find it easily,
for me who use xp, screen saver is in control panel, display, settings.
hope that help,
God bless you!

On 10/10/17, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
In NVDA, you can't use numpad end as a part of the read status line command.
You can use either insert but you would use end on the main keyboard.

Many commands are the same or similar between JAWS and NVDA when using the
desktop layout. I don't use the laptop layout and I can't comment on that.


Rather than change or try to change many commands in NVDA, I think your time
would be far better used learning the NVDA commands.

Read to end, using the default desktop layout is NVDA key, which by default
is either insert, down arrow. Not down arrow on the numpad, down arrow on
the main keyboard. That's roughly equivalent to the command people use in
JAWS for read to end. People generally use nnumpad insert numpad down arrow
for read to end. In NVDA, you are using down arrow on the main keyboard.
You can't use down arrow on the numpad because NVDA uses that command for
read current character. I gave the read status line command before and you
use end on the main keyboard for the same reason. The numpad end key is
used for screen review.

If you aren't well familiar with NVDA commands, you may change commands only
to find later you have stopped important other commands you want to use. I
would strongly recommend against changing commands until you know NVDA well
enough to understand what the consequences may be.

If you want to know where to see NVDA commands listed in the NVDA
documentation, list members can discuss that. But in general, I believe it
is better, and it may be significantly better depending on what you are
using and how, to learn the actual screen-reader commands and only then
making changes if still desired.

I went through unnecessary work when I was learning NVDA to change the read
to end command. I didn't know that you can set the caps lock key to work as
an NVDA key. So I changed Read to end to a command I liked more only to
find it was unnecessary as I learned more about NVDA. Once I found out
about using the caps lock as an NVDA key, I started using caps lock down
arrow for read to end, which is as convenient as the command I wasted time
setting before I knew about the caps lock.

Gene
----- Original Message -----

From: Monte Single
Sent: Monday, October 09, 2017 6:21 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] screen readers


I use insert plus end to hear number of messages. A lot of the key strokes
are the same especially for all the basic windows stuff, reading documents,
folders, lists, and web pages.



From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Karim
Lakhani
Sent: October-09-17 4:44 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] screen readers



Hello all,

Can I get NVDA to use jaws commands?

when it comes to navigating data?

I know that window eyes had a setting to configure the setting like you
were using the jaws program?

NVDA works real well but not having the experience like checking messages,
like you do with jaws.

insert down always gave the amount of messages.

I'm not sure why I'm having a real hard time with NVDA not being my primary
synthesizers.

thanks for the list and as a Canadian happy thanks giving!



Thanks.





$$$$

Karim.lakhani@...

$$$$

Goals determine what you're going to be.
- Julius Erving.

SKYPE: goldenace4








Re: Resilio Sync Service?

Tyler Wood
 

Hi,
Gave up on sync thing. Complexity and isn't as reliable as resilio.
Resilio can be installed as both a service or actual program. To get
the web UI if you don't instal as a service, locate the resilio sync
desktop shortcut. Right click or hit alt enter and go to properties.
From here, on the target field, go to the very end. Hit space and type
/webui. Hit okay. Close sync if it is running and from here, once
resilio is opened again, you should have the standard setup.
Love resilio - nothing will really come close to it that does what it does.
Any more questions please let me know!

On 10/10/17, Bobby Vinton <vinton.bobby5277@...> wrote:
Yes it is. What you do is you go to actions in the menu and click on show
computer id. It is assigned by the program. Good luck

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: Ron Canazzi
Sent: Tuesday, October 10, 2017 1:32 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Resilio Sync Service?

Hi Bobby,

This computer ID you are talking about: is this something that you are
assigned by the program; do you make it up yourself or is it something you
find under system information?

Thanks for any help.


On 10/10/2017 11:17 AM, Bobby Vinton wrote:
The link for sync thing is www.syncthing.net.  What you have to do is add a
folder that you are ssharing than add a computer id butt it has to be the
computer id of the person you are sharing with than you have to send the key
and computer id as well.  You can sync files and fiolders between folders.
Hope this helps

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: Casey
Sent: Tuesday, October 10, 2017 9:31 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Resilio Sync Service?

Hi can you pass along A down load for sync thing.
And instructions on how to use it.
Like once you get it and install it what can you use it for and how do you
use it on files?
That you get in your e-mail?




From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Bobby
Vinton
Sent: Monday, October 09, 2017 11:13 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Resilio Sync Service?

Well I don’t like resilio sync service at all because you have to get a
computer pass word to use it.  Butt You should try sync thing.  Sync thing
is just like bittorrent sync butt it is web based and you down load it as a
zip file and just install it as a portible version.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: Earle Zwicker
Sent: Monday, October 9, 2017 11:52 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Resilio Sync Service?

How did you get resillio to work in Windows? I haven't had any luck with it.
The only way I could get it to work was to set it up as a service.

Earle

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 9, 2017, at 11:00 AM, Matt Turner <meturner2214@...> wrote:

Hi folks.

I got it working under windows.

I'm using the web GUI, but there are a few things confusing me on the
local page.

Anyone else use this?








--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"
I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"

Virus-free. www.avast.com




Re: idea for libreOffice

V Stuart Foote
 

Hi Josh,

Java Access Bridge has not been required for assistive technology tools (AT) support in the Windows builds of either project for several years. It was replaced with a native Windows bridge implementing the IAccessible2 (ia2) API donated with the IBM Symphony code and merged for AT on the Apache OpenOffice 4.1.0 (April 2014)  and LibreOffice 4.2.0 (January 2014) releases.

Both projects continue to provide cross platform AT support with Accessible Roles defined internally via the UNO Accessibility API--which the native bridges: ATK/AT-SPI, ia2, NSAccessibility (Linux, Windows, macOS) then parse for user interface events. As with most software development project developers will insist on that structured provision of Accessible Roles for assistive technology in a format for cross platform consumption.   Very unlikely either project will implement Microsoft UIA as that would gut UNO Accessibility API (loosely the same as the Java Accessibility API in Java) that all the AT must connect to. 

Anything else that is needed by an AT is out of scope.

So, NVDA's interface (including brail support)  is against the IAccessible2, and relies on other NVDA modules for Windows screen and object exposure when an Accessible Event is not exposed.

No benefit to folks to try to rework NVDA interface for something the developers on the office programs will not accept.

Stuart Foote
San Antonio, Texas


Re: Strange issue for xp users with last working versions

Adriano Barbieri
 

Hi Brian,

To me with XP, it has never happened, now use the master-14374,21b30868.
What is the version you are referring to?

Cheers
Adriano

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io" <bglists=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, October 11, 2017 6:03 PM
Subject: [nvda] Strange issue for xp users with last working versions


I don't know if anyone else has this, but I left the last supported master update installed on some machines, but now even if running 2017.3 on those machines, NVDA plays the shut down sound twice on all four machines.

Not a problem of course but very odd. the odd part is that the same working snaps have no such effect on Windows 7 at all.
Just one of those great mysteries of life and now support is gone, probably will remain that way!

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.


Requesting some information

Dr. arvind singh brar <arvindsinghbrar@...>
 

Hello fellow nvda enthusiasts,

I recently was uploading media to my google drive, and was wondering,
If there was an nvda addon for google drive, similar to what there for dropbox,

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Thank you so much,
Arvind This message is transmitted on 100% recycled electrons.


idea for libreOffice

Josh Kennedy
 

I had an idea. Not sure if this would make libreoffice more stable and functional or not but here it goes.

Rather than libreoffice and openoffice relying on the java access bridge, both libreoffice and openoffice should have a feature to detect when NVDA is loaded. If loaded, libreoffice could probably run much more stable and provide much better accessibility if it directly used the NVDA controller client to provide direct accessibility by having NVDA braille and speak exactly what needs spoken and or brailled. This may enable the reading of charts and graphs in calc, better access in writer, complete access to impress, and the math tools. Not sure if this will go anywhere. But it was just an idea. And if it works we would have two excellent 100% accessible up to date and free office suites that, just as a braille notetaker like the brailleNote speaks exactly what is needed when needed, no more no less, same with braille... So if libreoffice and or openoffice used NVDA controller client rather than java access bridge which may be the cause of its instability? Then perhaps NVDA would work great with these applications.


Josh


-- 
sent with mozilla thunderbird


Re: NVDA 2017.3 and Outlook 2003

Cristóbal
 

I generally point people to this clip when they don’t want to let go of the past. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIty7vFwVYM

Not that newer is always better per say, but sometimes… you simply have to move on. I’ve got in a drawer an old HTC Tytan that I paid $700 for back in 2006 along with Code Factory’s Mobile Speak Pocket that cost me an additional $600. Not that I enjoyed paying $1,300 just to be able to have access to what at that time was a solid smartphone option, but oh well, what are you going to do? I don’t think I’ve turned that thing on in six years. There is a valid argument to continue to use something so long as it is useful to you, but if its obsolescence is more and more obvious and getting in the way of what you need for it to do, then again, time to move on.

 

 

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Wednesday, October 11, 2017 6:55 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA 2017.3 and Outlook 2003

 

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 11:24 pm, zahra wrote:

i agree with maintaining all old aincient technology forever!
its freedom of choice for every person and his-her right to select the
favorite programs, office, operating systems etc!

Good luck with that.

I hope you enjoy your icebox, that horse and buggy you have, and sending communications by telegraph.

The world changes and the wise change with it.
 
--
Brian  Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1703, Build 15063  (dot level on request - it changes too often to keep in signature)

     The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement.  But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.

            Niels Bohr

 

 


using NVDA with live chat

Ashley Wayne
 

Hello everyone, hope all is well.  I was just wondering if anyone had success using NVDA with the live chat option for contact/support; in my case, I need to contact comcast and would rather use the chat option as I find that it is often faster than waiting on hold with the phone.  Anyway, I would normally just test it out for myself but I didn't want to be starting a chat with a representative and then realize I couldn't effectively communicate with them, so just thought I would ask here first to see if anyone had experience, good or bad.  Thanks so much.

Ashley


Re: New blind users group

 

Hi. You mentioned Usernet. I've been interested in trying it out. Can you give me directions on how to use it? Sorry if this is off-topic. Thanks.

On 10/11/2017 5:04 AM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
Well, if more people used Usenet which has free servers all over the world still, then there are several on there underused still.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Antony Stone" <antony.stone@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, October 11, 2017 2:24 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] New blind users group


You're welcome to start another discussion group, but I would ask - do we
*really* need *another* one?


Antony.

On Wednesday 11 October 2017 at 03:10:11, Randy Barnett wrote:

Hi, I started a group that is for discussion anything blind related.
--
I want to build a machine that will be proud of me.

- Danny Hillis, creator of The Connection Machine

                                                  Please reply to the list;
                                                        please *don't* CC me.