Date   

Re: Weather Plus 4.6 03.11.2017 update available

Akbar S. Currim <raahzam@...>
 

Hi,

What is taste debug?

Akbar


On 11/4/17, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io
<bglists=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
I don't think that log is any help I think you need taste debug to debug not

just info first, then install a version of the add on then use it and take
those bits of the log out and send them to the author.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Akbar S. Currim" <raahzam@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, November 04, 2017 6:39 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Weather Plus 4.6 03.11.2017 update available


Hi,

I get exactly the same resultwith this version also. It only instals
version of 25-10-2017 and not the new one although I have downloaded
the new version from the links provided by you in your message and
installed the same. I give below the log message which may assist you
in figuring out why this is happening. Hope you can help.

Thanks,

Akbar

Log:
INFO - __main__ (12:01:50.063):
Starting NVDA
INFO - core.main (12:01:50.201):
Config dir: C:\Users\raahz\AppData\Roaming\nvda
INFO - config.ConfigManager._loadConfig (12:01:50.201):
Loading config: C:\Users\raahz\AppData\Roaming\nvda\nvda.ini
INFO - core.main (12:01:50.334):
NVDA version 2017.3
INFO - core.main (12:01:50.334):
Using Windows version 10.0.15063 workstation
INFO - core.main (12:01:50.334):
Using Python version 2.7.13 (v2.7.13:a06454b1afa1, Dec 17 2016,
20:42:59) [MSC v.1500 32 bit (Intel)]
INFO - core.main (12:01:50.334):
Using comtypes version 0.6.2
INFO - synthDriverHandler.setSynth (12:01:50.615):
Loaded synthDriver eloquence
INFO - core.main (12:01:50.615):
Using wx version 3.0.2.0 msw (classic)
INFO - brailleInput.initialize (12:01:50.621):
Braille input initialized
INFO - braille.initialize (12:01:50.621):
Using liblouis version 3.2.0
INFO - braille.BrailleHandler.setDisplayByName (12:01:50.622):
Loaded braille display driver noBraille, current display has 0 cells.
WARNING - core.main (12:01:50.660):
Java Access Bridge not available
INFO - _UIAHandler.UIAHandler.MTAThreadFunc (12:01:50.664):
UIAutomation: IUIAutomation3
INFO - core.main (12:01:52.484):
NVDA initialized


On 11/3/17, Adriano Barbieri via Groups.Io
<adrianobarb=yahoo.it@groups.io> wrote:
Hi to every one,
Changes in this version:
* Improved the reading of current local time; search keys are more
accurate.

Weather Plus can update alone, however, it is possible to download
manually from the following links:
http://www.nvda.it/files/plugin/weather_plus4.6.nvda-addon
or from page:
http://www.nvda.it/weather-plus/
or from page:
https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/weatherPlus.en.html

Cheers
Adriano





Re: Firefox 57 etc

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>
 

That is what I thought, but then I did a check for updates inside it it offered me version 56 which I declined.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Griffith" <daj.griffith@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Friday, November 03, 2017 6:34 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Firefox 57 etc


I thought the whole point of the ESR version was that it would not update to 57 until about June next year, when hopefully the accessibility issues will have improved. According to the FS Blog on this they say that people using ESR will however continue to get the latest security updates installed into Firefox ESR but will not be vulnerable to the main upgrade to 57 until next year.
David Griffith
.

My Blind Access and Guide dog Blog
http://dgriffithblog.wordpress.com/
My Blind hammer Blog
https://www.westhamtillidie.com/authors/blind-hammer/posts

From: Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io
Sent: 03 November 2017 18:17
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Firefox 57 etc

Yes I saw a message on the issues list from James, about some fixing for
version 58, so maybe it will get resolved from the currently unusable state.
Its new users of any screenreader I feel sorry for, especially where its a
shared machine and the sighted member just lets firefox update.
There are a couple of other issues. It disabled both my add ons,
navigational sounds and Ublock Origin ad blocker and even when I put the
version 52 back on I had to re download both add ons and install them again.
Not only that but nvda after the update could not read the screen of the add
ons manager, I had to exit firefox completely and go back in again to see
if they had installed correctly, I'm sure this was not the case prior to up
and down dating the version I had, which was 55. How also does one set 52 to
get security updates without letting it update to 57 as I see it wants to do
till I set updates to no, ie not recommended.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Mendoza" <lowvisiontek@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Friday, November 03, 2017 10:31 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Firefox 57 etc


Hi, Brian


I have the same issue on the other machine, and that is the reason why I
keep to shift instead to use the Firefox ESR version 52 but for now I will
stick to this version because there is likely more stable in performance
and never has a problem. And, once the issue has fix maybe I could go for
to use and test it again.


Robert Mendoza

On 11/3/2017 6:00 PM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
With regard to this version of Firefox, and in addition to what Joseph
posted about it. Here is what me acting as the average unaware updater
found.
After installation only the menus work, no content on the page is
readable, you cannot go into any browse or focus mode. You just here
unknown.
Now there may well be some kind of setting that can be altered, I do not
know, to achieve what he got, slow but functioning. I could not find any
option for this. Not only that but it seemed to lose almost half of my
bookmarks as well.

So unless they fix this on the release version anyone trying to use
Firefox 57 when it comes out with the latest version of nvda, and I am up
to date with the master branch here, will not be able to do so unless
they know how to make it work.
If these people are employees then they will probably need the permission
of an admin to reinstall a version like 55, and turn off auto updates. I
have reinstalled 52 in actual fact and got my bookmarks back as well as
functionality. To my mind the makers of Firefox at the current state of
play should be able to see if screenreading software is on a machine in a
similar way to Adobe reader or Jarte does, and prevent it from updating
to an unworkable version.
I cannot understand why they have not done this.

Anyone care to comment?
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.




Re: goldwave

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>
 

Just now and then you may need to change windows to wake up the add on if it says it does not know the length or whatever though.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Roger Stewart" <paganus2@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Friday, November 03, 2017 6:17 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] goldwave


Sure does! I've been using Win 10 for a couple years and Goldwave is
right here for me. The add on makes it work all the better so I'd
recommend installing that as well.

Roger








On 11/3/2017 1:13 PM, Arlene wrote:

Hi list. Does Goldwave work with windows ten? If it does. That would
be great.



Re: goldwave

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>
 

It should do, indeed even the old version did when I briefly had windows 10. You will though need to make a decision on the amount of processor time the processor intensive bits use, as often if not you can do little else on the machine when the conversions ie batch processing of files, is happening.
This used to be selectable as I recall, not looked in the newer versions, since the old one does all I need and I have the custom effects all set up and saved as registry overlay files.

I still find though that Goldwave has sometimes had issues with some sound drivers, giving a recording of white noise when it fails. often its a case of suck it and see on drivers and goldwave settings that can fix this.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Arlene" <nedster66@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Friday, November 03, 2017 6:13 PM
Subject: [nvda] goldwave


Hi list. Does Goldwave work with windows ten? If it does. That would be
great.


Re: Firefox 57 etc

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>
 

Well, I have still some issues after the reinstall as I've said elsewhere. the add on manager shows the add ons as disabled now and I had to remove them and redownload and install them to get them to work and nvda stops reading the add on manager in the middle of this process so I had to restart firefox to see if the installation worked.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Mendoza" <lowvisiontek@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Friday, November 03, 2017 10:31 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Firefox 57 etc


Hi, Brian


I have the same issue on the other machine, and that is the reason why I keep to shift instead to use the Firefox ESR version 52 but for now I will stick to this version because there is likely more stable in performance and never has a problem. And, once the issue has fix maybe I could go for to use and test it again.


Robert Mendoza

On 11/3/2017 6:00 PM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
With regard to this version of Firefox, and in addition to what Joseph posted about it. Here is what me acting as the average unaware updater found.
After installation only the menus work, no content on the page is readable, you cannot go into any browse or focus mode. You just here unknown.
Now there may well be some kind of setting that can be altered, I do not know, to achieve what he got, slow but functioning. I could not find any option for this. Not only that but it seemed to lose almost half of my bookmarks as well.

So unless they fix this on the release version anyone trying to use Firefox 57 when it comes out with the latest version of nvda, and I am up to date with the master branch here, will not be able to do so unless they know how to make it work.
If these people are employees then they will probably need the permission of an admin to reinstall a version like 55, and turn off auto updates. I have reinstalled 52 in actual fact and got my bookmarks back as well as functionality. To my mind the makers of Firefox at the current state of play should be able to see if screenreading software is on a machine in a similar way to Adobe reader or Jarte does, and prevent it from updating to an unworkable version.
I cannot understand why they have not done this.

Anyone care to comment?
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.



Re: Weather Plus 4.6 03.11.2017 update available

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>
 

I don't think that log is any help I think you need taste debug to debug not just info first, then install a version of the add on then use it and take those bits of the log out and send them to the author.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Akbar S. Currim" <raahzam@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, November 04, 2017 6:39 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Weather Plus 4.6 03.11.2017 update available


Hi,

I get exactly the same resultwith this version also. It only instals
version of 25-10-2017 and not the new one although I have downloaded
the new version from the links provided by you in your message and
installed the same. I give below the log message which may assist you
in figuring out why this is happening. Hope you can help.

Thanks,

Akbar

Log:
INFO - __main__ (12:01:50.063):
Starting NVDA
INFO - core.main (12:01:50.201):
Config dir: C:\Users\raahz\AppData\Roaming\nvda
INFO - config.ConfigManager._loadConfig (12:01:50.201):
Loading config: C:\Users\raahz\AppData\Roaming\nvda\nvda.ini
INFO - core.main (12:01:50.334):
NVDA version 2017.3
INFO - core.main (12:01:50.334):
Using Windows version 10.0.15063 workstation
INFO - core.main (12:01:50.334):
Using Python version 2.7.13 (v2.7.13:a06454b1afa1, Dec 17 2016,
20:42:59) [MSC v.1500 32 bit (Intel)]
INFO - core.main (12:01:50.334):
Using comtypes version 0.6.2
INFO - synthDriverHandler.setSynth (12:01:50.615):
Loaded synthDriver eloquence
INFO - core.main (12:01:50.615):
Using wx version 3.0.2.0 msw (classic)
INFO - brailleInput.initialize (12:01:50.621):
Braille input initialized
INFO - braille.initialize (12:01:50.621):
Using liblouis version 3.2.0
INFO - braille.BrailleHandler.setDisplayByName (12:01:50.622):
Loaded braille display driver noBraille, current display has 0 cells.
WARNING - core.main (12:01:50.660):
Java Access Bridge not available
INFO - _UIAHandler.UIAHandler.MTAThreadFunc (12:01:50.664):
UIAutomation: IUIAutomation3
INFO - core.main (12:01:52.484):
NVDA initialized


On 11/3/17, Adriano Barbieri via Groups.Io
<adrianobarb=yahoo.it@groups.io> wrote:
Hi to every one,
Changes in this version:
* Improved the reading of current local time; search keys are more
accurate.

Weather Plus can update alone, however, it is possible to download
manually from the following links:
http://www.nvda.it/files/plugin/weather_plus4.6.nvda-addon
or from page:
http://www.nvda.it/weather-plus/
or from page:
https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/weatherPlus.en.html

Cheers
Adriano


Re: Installing NVDA and disabling some sort of security setting

John Isige
 

No, there's a new thing in the latest Windows 10. I think I still have
the message somewhere or other. It prevents the installer from making a
desktop shortcut and it might give an error or something, but apparently
NVDA runs just fine once it's done, other than not having the desktop
shortcut.

On 11/4/2017 1:47, Gene New Zealand wrote:

Hi


you are not talking about the UAC screen that comes up when you go to
install a copy of NVDA onto a machine? if this does come up use the
ALT key + letter Y to say yes to it or just tab to it. then NVDA will
finish installing.


Unless a anti virus program does it? then you would have to look in
that virus program and make it a exception


Gene nz

.


On 11/4/2017 11:40 AM, Mary Otten wrote:
Recently, I saw a message that talked about the need to disable some sort of security settings in windows 10 when you were installing NVDA. It was a folder I think that you couldn’t get access to and less you disable the setting, and NVDA needs to have that access when it installs. I’ve just spent some time looking through old messages trying to find this and I can’t. Can anybody help me out? I’m sorry to be so vague, but I just can’t find this message.
Mary


Sent from my iPhone

--
Image NVDA certified expert
Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related
material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where
you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can
use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To
find out which locations (or location) is near to you please visit
http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries
(Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert
near you, please visit the following link
https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains
the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world,
who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.


Re: Installing NVDA and disabling some sort of security setting

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>
 

Hi


you are not talking about the UAC screen that comes up when you go to install a copy of NVDA onto a machine? if this does come up use the ALT key + letter Y to say yes to it or just tab to it. then NVDA will finish installing.


Unless a anti virus program does it? then you would have to look in that virus program and make it a exception


Gene nz

.


On 11/4/2017 11:40 AM, Mary Otten wrote:
Recently, I saw a message that talked about the need to disable some sort of security settings in windows 10 when you were installing NVDA. It was a folder I think that you couldn’t get access to and less you disable the setting, and NVDA needs to have that access when it installs. I’ve just spent some time looking through old messages trying to find this and I can’t. Can anybody help me out? I’m sorry to be so vague, but I just can’t find this message.
Mary


Sent from my iPhone



--
Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations (or location) is near to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.


Re: Weather Plus 4.6 03.11.2017 update available

Akbar S. Currim <raahzam@...>
 

Hi,

I get exactly the same resultwith this version also. It only instals
version of 25-10-2017 and not the new one although I have downloaded
the new version from the links provided by you in your message and
installed the same. I give below the log message which may assist you
in figuring out why this is happening. Hope you can help.

Thanks,

Akbar

Log:
INFO - __main__ (12:01:50.063):
Starting NVDA
INFO - core.main (12:01:50.201):
Config dir: C:\Users\raahz\AppData\Roaming\nvda
INFO - config.ConfigManager._loadConfig (12:01:50.201):
Loading config: C:\Users\raahz\AppData\Roaming\nvda\nvda.ini
INFO - core.main (12:01:50.334):
NVDA version 2017.3
INFO - core.main (12:01:50.334):
Using Windows version 10.0.15063 workstation
INFO - core.main (12:01:50.334):
Using Python version 2.7.13 (v2.7.13:a06454b1afa1, Dec 17 2016,
20:42:59) [MSC v.1500 32 bit (Intel)]
INFO - core.main (12:01:50.334):
Using comtypes version 0.6.2
INFO - synthDriverHandler.setSynth (12:01:50.615):
Loaded synthDriver eloquence
INFO - core.main (12:01:50.615):
Using wx version 3.0.2.0 msw (classic)
INFO - brailleInput.initialize (12:01:50.621):
Braille input initialized
INFO - braille.initialize (12:01:50.621):
Using liblouis version 3.2.0
INFO - braille.BrailleHandler.setDisplayByName (12:01:50.622):
Loaded braille display driver noBraille, current display has 0 cells.
WARNING - core.main (12:01:50.660):
Java Access Bridge not available
INFO - _UIAHandler.UIAHandler.MTAThreadFunc (12:01:50.664):
UIAutomation: IUIAutomation3
INFO - core.main (12:01:52.484):
NVDA initialized


On 11/3/17, Adriano Barbieri via Groups.Io
<adrianobarb=yahoo.it@groups.io> wrote:
Hi to every one,
Changes in this version:
* Improved the reading of current local time; search keys are more
accurate.

Weather Plus can update alone, however, it is possible to download
manually from the following links:
http://www.nvda.it/files/plugin/weather_plus4.6.nvda-addon
or from page:
http://www.nvda.it/weather-plus/
or from page:
https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/weatherPlus.en.html

Cheers
Adriano


Re: lock NVDA + f2

Gene
 

I'm not sure how the feature has changed since it was introduced.  My strong opinion is that it shouldn't be on by default but there is no doubt, that if you turn off what I said to turn off, that the behavior will stop. 
 
Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, November 03, 2017 10:35 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] lock NVDA + f2

No, before (in 2016.4) NVDA would not keep changing modes on me just because it got to an edit box if I had specifically set it to browse mode.  Now, it doesn't care if I set it to browse mode or not, it still switches into edit mode when it encounters an edit field, and let me tell you, it's extremely frustrating if I'm trying to get past something like a login form, especially on sites like goodreads.com or similar sites, because there's something like 12 edit boxes before you get to the end of the page where the real login button is if you're wanting to use another service to do the logging in and not log in directly with the site.  This kind of thing did not happen when I was using 2016.4, but now it does with 2017.3, and it's actually the only thing I have problems with on NVDA, without this issue, NVDA works perfectly for me using chrome.

Although, I must correct my previous statement that it happens 100 percent of the time, it's more like 95 percent of the time, I did find one or two sites where it doesn't do this, but the large majority of sites do exhibit this behavior, and turning off cursor following is not an option I like to use, because sometimes routing cursors doesn't work properly, and there's no other way to get the system cursor where I need it to be.


On 11/3/2017 2:45 PM, Gene wrote:
That isn't what I described.  What I said is that if you manually turn forms mode on, it will stay on.  You are discussing behavior in browse mode.  If you turn browse mode on, then the behavior you describe will occur unless you set NVDA not to change to forms mode automatically.  It doesn't matter if you turn browse mode on manually or if it is on because it is on when you start browsing, the behavior doesn't change.  Controling this behavior is available in the Browse Mode settings.  I believe the check box you uncheck is Automatic focus mode for focus changes. There is another check box, Automatic focus mode for caret movement, which I also have unchecked.  I don't remember what it does but others will probably explain it.
 
Gene 
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, November 03, 2017 1:00 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] lock NVDA + f2

It happens with every single web site I encounter that requires input in multiple fields.  I can set NVDA to browse mode (that's the default right?) then every time I encounter an edit field, NVDA automatically switches to edit mode regardless of whether I've previously told it to be in browse mode or not.  It happens 100 percent of the time on each and every web site I encounter edit fields on, so it is definitely not a once in a while thing.  Find yourself any web site that requires logins, or perhaps one with a signup form, and the behavior is always exactly the same, whether I've set it specifically to browse mode or not.


On 11/3/2017 12:43 AM, Quentin Christensen wrote:
Hi,

Re the inconsistent behaviour in Chrome, can you give some steps to reproduce please?

Eg:
2. Press ...
3. Press ...

Re the issue of playing certain browser based games, are they self voicing?  IE: Does NVDA speak useful information while using them?  If you don't have to have NVDA, then you could put NVDA in sleep mode with NVDA+shift+s.  Note that will put NVDA to sleep while the current application is active.  EG if you are using Chrome, them NVDA will wake up when you go to another application (or the alt+tab window), but as long as you are in a Chrome window, NVDA will be "asleep".

Regards

Quentin.

On Fri, Nov 3, 2017 at 9:50 AM, Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...> wrote:

This is the way browse mode is supposed to work, but this is not the current behavior of NVDA in chrome.  I get browse mode turning on regardless of whether I've specifically turned it off or not.  This didn't happen with earlier versions of NVDA, so it's something fairly new, though I'm not sure which version started doing this, but it definitely didn't do it in 2016.4, but it does with 2017.3.  I don't know which in between version broke it, because I upgraded directly, since I wanted the kindle functionality, and had no reason to upgrade before then.


On 11/2/2017 2:07 PM, Gene wrote:
Browse mode is supposed to stay off regardless of what happens until you turn it on again.  If you close the browser and reopen it, browse mode will be on but when you manually turn it off, it stays off for the session until you turn it on.
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
From: John Isige
Sent: Thursday, November 02, 2017 12:29 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] lock NVDA + f2

Would it be the same though? I'm guessing what's being talked about here
is that NVDA will turn browse mode back on if the game changes. So you
turn it off and it's fine, but something changes, and it turns back on,
and you have to stop and turn it back off again. With a pass key lock it
could just hold until you toggled it off. Browse mode was my first
thought too, and I don't play enough web games to know what's going on,
if anybody wants to provide examples of some that cause a problem I'll
happily check them out. But that would be my guess, that browse mode is
getting toggled automatically in response to a change from the site.


On 11/2/2017 10:20, Gene wrote:
> If you are saying that turning browse mode off isn't consistent in how
> well it works, using the key pass through command will be no more
> consistent.  All that command is doing in that context is bypassing
> the screen-reader.  Turning off browse mode on a web page does exactly
> the same thing except you don't have to keep using an extra command. 
> When browse mode is off, keys you press work directly with the web
> page.  When browse mode is on, they don't.  That's why browse mode is
> off when working in an edit field in a form, for example.  You are
> working directly with the field.
> Gene
> ----- Original Message -----
> *From:* Adriani Botez <mailto:adriani.botez@gmail.com>
> *Sent:* Thursday, November 02, 2017 9:52 AM
> *To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
> *Subject:* Re: [nvda] lock NVDA + f2
>
> It does not work very reliable in browser games, especially when
> dealing with types of browser games in java and php. It is also not
> very consistent in flash player, for example there are still lots of
> webinars which can be accessed in flashplayer by some keystrokes.
>
> *I have noticed this in different browsers. May the grafics driver
> have any impact on this? I have only tested it with my dell notebook
> on a nvidia gtx graphic card.*
>
> **
>
> **
>
> *Best*
>
> *Adriani*
>
> **
>
> *Von:*nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] *Im Auftrag von
> *Gene
> *Gesendet:* Donnerstag, 2. November 2017 15:35
> *An:* nvda@nvda.groups.io
> *Betreff:* Re: [nvda] lock NVDA + f2
>
> Turn off browse mode.  Do you know the comand t6o toggle it off and
> on?  NVDA key space. Also, I don't recall if NVDA has a command to
> pass keys to the application when browsing.  But even in the youtube
> example, it is often much more convenient to turn off browse mode than
> use the key pass through command.
>
> Gene
>
> *From:*adriani.botez via Groups.Io
> <mailto:adriani.botez=googlemail.com@groups.io>
>
> *Sent:*Thursday, November 02, 2017 9:15 AM
>
> *To:*nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
>
> *Subject:*[nvda] lock NVDA + f2
>
> Dear Community,
>
> Is it possible to create an addon which locks the keystroke NVDA + f2
> so that every key which will be pressed will be sent through to the
> application? It would make sense for example in browser games or in
> some browser videoplayers. It should just offer the possibility to
> disable and enable this licking feature whenever needed.
>
> Best
> Adriani
>
>
> <https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>
> Virenfrei. www.avast.com
> <https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>
>
>
>






Virus-free. www.avast.com



--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess 
Twitter: @NVAccess 




Re: lock NVDA + f2

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>
 

No, before (in 2016.4) NVDA would not keep changing modes on me just because it got to an edit box if I had specifically set it to browse mode.  Now, it doesn't care if I set it to browse mode or not, it still switches into edit mode when it encounters an edit field, and let me tell you, it's extremely frustrating if I'm trying to get past something like a login form, especially on sites like goodreads.com or similar sites, because there's something like 12 edit boxes before you get to the end of the page where the real login button is if you're wanting to use another service to do the logging in and not log in directly with the site.  This kind of thing did not happen when I was using 2016.4, but now it does with 2017.3, and it's actually the only thing I have problems with on NVDA, without this issue, NVDA works perfectly for me using chrome.

Although, I must correct my previous statement that it happens 100 percent of the time, it's more like 95 percent of the time, I did find one or two sites where it doesn't do this, but the large majority of sites do exhibit this behavior, and turning off cursor following is not an option I like to use, because sometimes routing cursors doesn't work properly, and there's no other way to get the system cursor where I need it to be.


On 11/3/2017 2:45 PM, Gene wrote:
That isn't what I described.  What I said is that if you manually turn forms mode on, it will stay on.  You are discussing behavior in browse mode.  If you turn browse mode on, then the behavior you describe will occur unless you set NVDA not to change to forms mode automatically.  It doesn't matter if you turn browse mode on manually or if it is on because it is on when you start browsing, the behavior doesn't change.  Controling this behavior is available in the Browse Mode settings.  I believe the check box you uncheck is Automatic focus mode for focus changes. There is another check box, Automatic focus mode for caret movement, which I also have unchecked.  I don't remember what it does but others will probably explain it.
 
Gene 
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, November 03, 2017 1:00 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] lock NVDA + f2

It happens with every single web site I encounter that requires input in multiple fields.  I can set NVDA to browse mode (that's the default right?) then every time I encounter an edit field, NVDA automatically switches to edit mode regardless of whether I've previously told it to be in browse mode or not.  It happens 100 percent of the time on each and every web site I encounter edit fields on, so it is definitely not a once in a while thing.  Find yourself any web site that requires logins, or perhaps one with a signup form, and the behavior is always exactly the same, whether I've set it specifically to browse mode or not.


On 11/3/2017 12:43 AM, Quentin Christensen wrote:
Hi,

Re the inconsistent behaviour in Chrome, can you give some steps to reproduce please?

Eg:
2. Press ...
3. Press ...

Re the issue of playing certain browser based games, are they self voicing?  IE: Does NVDA speak useful information while using them?  If you don't have to have NVDA, then you could put NVDA in sleep mode with NVDA+shift+s.  Note that will put NVDA to sleep while the current application is active.  EG if you are using Chrome, them NVDA will wake up when you go to another application (or the alt+tab window), but as long as you are in a Chrome window, NVDA will be "asleep".

Regards

Quentin.

On Fri, Nov 3, 2017 at 9:50 AM, Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...> wrote:

This is the way browse mode is supposed to work, but this is not the current behavior of NVDA in chrome.  I get browse mode turning on regardless of whether I've specifically turned it off or not.  This didn't happen with earlier versions of NVDA, so it's something fairly new, though I'm not sure which version started doing this, but it definitely didn't do it in 2016.4, but it does with 2017.3.  I don't know which in between version broke it, because I upgraded directly, since I wanted the kindle functionality, and had no reason to upgrade before then.


On 11/2/2017 2:07 PM, Gene wrote:
Browse mode is supposed to stay off regardless of what happens until you turn it on again.  If you close the browser and reopen it, browse mode will be on but when you manually turn it off, it stays off for the session until you turn it on.
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
From: John Isige
Sent: Thursday, November 02, 2017 12:29 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] lock NVDA + f2

Would it be the same though? I'm guessing what's being talked about here
is that NVDA will turn browse mode back on if the game changes. So you
turn it off and it's fine, but something changes, and it turns back on,
and you have to stop and turn it back off again. With a pass key lock it
could just hold until you toggled it off. Browse mode was my first
thought too, and I don't play enough web games to know what's going on,
if anybody wants to provide examples of some that cause a problem I'll
happily check them out. But that would be my guess, that browse mode is
getting toggled automatically in response to a change from the site.


On 11/2/2017 10:20, Gene wrote:
> If you are saying that turning browse mode off isn't consistent in how
> well it works, using the key pass through command will be no more
> consistent.  All that command is doing in that context is bypassing
> the screen-reader.  Turning off browse mode on a web page does exactly
> the same thing except you don't have to keep using an extra command. 
> When browse mode is off, keys you press work directly with the web
> page.  When browse mode is on, they don't.  That's why browse mode is
> off when working in an edit field in a form, for example.  You are
> working directly with the field.
> Gene
> ----- Original Message -----
> *From:* Adriani Botez <mailto:adriani.botez@gmail.com>
> *Sent:* Thursday, November 02, 2017 9:52 AM
> *To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
> *Subject:* Re: [nvda] lock NVDA + f2
>
> It does not work very reliable in browser games, especially when
> dealing with types of browser games in java and php. It is also not
> very consistent in flash player, for example there are still lots of
> webinars which can be accessed in flashplayer by some keystrokes.
>
> *I have noticed this in different browsers. May the grafics driver
> have any impact on this? I have only tested it with my dell notebook
> on a nvidia gtx graphic card.*
>
> **
>
> **
>
> *Best*
>
> *Adriani*
>
> **
>
> *Von:*nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] *Im Auftrag von
> *Gene
> *Gesendet:* Donnerstag, 2. November 2017 15:35
> *An:* nvda@nvda.groups.io
> *Betreff:* Re: [nvda] lock NVDA + f2
>
> Turn off browse mode.  Do you know the comand t6o toggle it off and
> on?  NVDA key space. Also, I don't recall if NVDA has a command to
> pass keys to the application when browsing.  But even in the youtube
> example, it is often much more convenient to turn off browse mode than
> use the key pass through command.
>
> Gene
>
> *From:*adriani.botez via Groups.Io
> <mailto:adriani.botez=googlemail.com@groups.io>
>
> *Sent:*Thursday, November 02, 2017 9:15 AM
>
> *To:*nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
>
> *Subject:*[nvda] lock NVDA + f2
>
> Dear Community,
>
> Is it possible to create an addon which locks the keystroke NVDA + f2
> so that every key which will be pressed will be sent through to the
> application? It would make sense for example in browser games or in
> some browser videoplayers. It should just offer the possibility to
> disable and enable this licking feature whenever needed.
>
> Best
> Adriani
>
>
> <https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>
> Virenfrei. www.avast.com
> <https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient>
>
>
>






Virus-free. www.avast.com



--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess 
Twitter: @NVAccess 




Re: Bluetooth speakers on a PC with NVDA?

Kevin Chao
 

I was under the false-impression that Bluetooth 5 would reduce latency, but more detailed research prooved very little audio improvements in this new version of Bluetooth.

On Fri, Nov 3, 2017 at 7:07 PM David Griffith <daj.griffith@...> wrote:

 

I don’t use Bluetooth speakers because of possible latency. Having said that I understand from a Podcast from Jonathan Mosen that the new Bluetooth 5 standard, if I remember correctly, might improve the situation.

So checking the Bluetooth standard of the speakers and your machine might reveal if this is the Bluetooth standard. If not I would personally avoid them and stick to a wired solution.

Some speakers pair with each other wirelessly but accept a wired input  from a sound source into one of the speakers which may be a solution. I have some speakers which can do this but have never used them on a PC.

 

David Griffith

My Blind Access and Guide dog Blog
http://dgriffithblog.wordpress.com/
My Blind hammer Blog
https://www.westhamtillidie.com/authors/blind-hammer/posts

 

From: Mary Otten
Sent: 04 November 2017 00:02


To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Bluetooth speakers on a PC with NVDA?

 

Hi all,

I am considering a set up with clips ProMedia to Bluetooth speakers for my new PC. I have had less than stellar experiences with phones and Bluetooth speakers or headsets. There is latency, and with my Apple TV and sound bar, it was unusable, because the voice consistently miss the first few syllables due to the delay in the speaker kicking in. This would be totally unusable on a PC of course with the screen reader and software speech. My old PC has a hardware card for speech, and the Mac has USB speakers. So I have no experience with a PC or Mac for that matter, with Bluetooth speakers and software speech. I really like these speakers, but not if they’re going to present issues with the software speech for the screen meter. Comments?

Mary

 

 

Sent from my iPhone

 

 


Re: Bluetooth speakers on a PC with NVDA?

David Griffith
 

 

I don’t use Bluetooth speakers because of possible latency. Having said that I understand from a Podcast from Jonathan Mosen that the new Bluetooth 5 standard, if I remember correctly, might improve the situation.

So checking the Bluetooth standard of the speakers and your machine might reveal if this is the Bluetooth standard. If not I would personally avoid them and stick to a wired solution.

Some speakers pair with each other wirelessly but accept a wired input  from a sound source into one of the speakers which may be a solution. I have some speakers which can do this but have never used them on a PC.

 

David Griffith

My Blind Access and Guide dog Blog
http://dgriffithblog.wordpress.com/
My Blind hammer Blog
https://www.westhamtillidie.com/authors/blind-hammer/posts

 

From: Mary Otten
Sent: 04 November 2017 00:02
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Bluetooth speakers on a PC with NVDA?

 

Hi all,

I am considering a set up with clips ProMedia to Bluetooth speakers for my new PC. I have had less than stellar experiences with phones and Bluetooth speakers or headsets. There is latency, and with my Apple TV and sound bar, it was unusable, because the voice consistently miss the first few syllables due to the delay in the speaker kicking in. This would be totally unusable on a PC of course with the screen reader and software speech. My old PC has a hardware card for speech, and the Mac has USB speakers. So I have no experience with a PC or Mac for that matter, with Bluetooth speakers and software speech. I really like these speakers, but not if they’re going to present issues with the software speech for the screen meter. Comments?

Mary

 

 

Sent from my iPhone

 

 


Re: Installing NVDA and disabling some sort of security setting

Gene
 

I suspect it is off by default.  If not, we should have seen lots of people reporting problems since Windows 10 started to be distributed. 
 
Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, November 03, 2017 7:32 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Installing NVDA and disabling some sort of security setting

Controlled Folder Access. I think it's off by default.
On 11/3/2017 3:40 PM, Mary Otten wrote:
> Recently, I saw a message that talked about the need to disable some sort of security settings in windows 10 when you were installing NVDA. It was a folder I think that you couldn’t get access to and less you disable the setting, and NVDA needs to have that access when it installs. I’ve just spent some time looking through old messages trying to find this and I can’t. Can anybody help me out? I’m sorry to be so vague, but I just can’t find this message.
> Mary
>
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>





Re: Installing NVDA and disabling some sort of security setting

Tyler Spivey
 

Controlled Folder Access. I think it's off by default.

On 11/3/2017 3:40 PM, Mary Otten wrote:
Recently, I saw a message that talked about the need to disable some sort of security settings in windows 10 when you were installing NVDA. It was a folder I think that you couldn’t get access to and less you disable the setting, and NVDA needs to have that access when it installs. I’ve just spent some time looking through old messages trying to find this and I can’t. Can anybody help me out? I’m sorry to be so vague, but I just can’t find this message.
Mary
Sent from my iPhone


Re: Bluetooth speakers on a PC with NVDA?

Mary Otten <motten53@...>
 

Thanks. Maybe there is an alternate connection path, not just Bluetooth. I will have to look into that more.
Mary


Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 3, 2017, at 5:19 PM, Richard Kuzma via Groups.Io <rmkuzma=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

I know buddy of mine that bought them for his son for Christmas last year and they are awesomely sounding,
However I do believe he connected them to his pc hard wired with a audio cable and they worked perfectly.
Not sure about Bluetooth.
Hope this helps


-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mary Otten
Sent: Friday, November 03, 2017 8:03 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Bluetooth speakers on a PC with NVDA?

Hi all,
I am considering a set up with clips ProMedia to Bluetooth speakers for my new PC. I have had less than stellar experiences with phones and Bluetooth speakers or headsets. There is latency, and with my Apple TV and sound bar, it was unusable, because the voice consistently miss the first few syllables due to the delay in the speaker kicking in. This would be totally unusable on a PC of course with the screen reader and software speech. My old PC has a hardware card for speech, and the Mac has USB speakers. So I have no experience with a PC or Mac for that matter, with Bluetooth speakers and software speech. I really like these speakers, but not if they’re going to present issues with the software speech for the screen meter. Comments?
Mary


Sent from my iPhone







Re: Bluetooth speakers on a PC with NVDA?

Richard Kuzma
 

I know buddy of mine that bought them for his son for Christmas last year and they are awesomely sounding,
However I do believe he connected them to his pc hard wired with a audio cable and they worked perfectly.
Not sure about Bluetooth.
Hope this helps

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mary Otten
Sent: Friday, November 03, 2017 8:03 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Bluetooth speakers on a PC with NVDA?

Hi all,
I am considering a set up with clips ProMedia to Bluetooth speakers for my new PC. I have had less than stellar experiences with phones and Bluetooth speakers or headsets. There is latency, and with my Apple TV and sound bar, it was unusable, because the voice consistently miss the first few syllables due to the delay in the speaker kicking in. This would be totally unusable on a PC of course with the screen reader and software speech. My old PC has a hardware card for speech, and the Mac has USB speakers. So I have no experience with a PC or Mac for that matter, with Bluetooth speakers and software speech. I really like these speakers, but not if they’re going to present issues with the software speech for the screen meter. Comments?
Mary


Sent from my iPhone


Bluetooth speakers on a PC with NVDA?

Mary Otten <motten53@...>
 

Hi all,
I am considering a set up with clips ProMedia to Bluetooth speakers for my new PC. I have had less than stellar experiences with phones and Bluetooth speakers or headsets. There is latency, and with my Apple TV and sound bar, it was unusable, because the voice consistently miss the first few syllables due to the delay in the speaker kicking in. This would be totally unusable on a PC of course with the screen reader and software speech. My old PC has a hardware card for speech, and the Mac has USB speakers. So I have no experience with a PC or Mac for that matter, with Bluetooth speakers and software speech. I really like these speakers, but not if they’re going to present issues with the software speech for the screen meter. Comments?
Mary


Sent from my iPhone


NVDA says "blank" every time CTRL is pressed in VipMud 2

Joshua Tubbs
 

Hi all,

The subject says it all. I'm curious if it's an NVDA problem, or
whether it's a bug with VipMud 2?

Thanks.


Installing NVDA and disabling some sort of security setting

Mary Otten <motten53@...>
 

Recently, I saw a message that talked about the need to disable some sort of security settings in windows 10 when you were installing NVDA. It was a folder I think that you couldn’t get access to and less you disable the setting, and NVDA needs to have that access when it installs. I’ve just spent some time looking through old messages trying to find this and I can’t. Can anybody help me out? I’m sorry to be so vague, but I just can’t find this message.
Mary


Sent from my iPhone