Date   

IntelliJ Idea and PyCharm with NVDA

Tony Malykh
 

Hello everyone,


Does anyone know if these two IDEs are accessible with NVDA? I've heard on another mailing list that they are somewhat accessible, but when I tried to run IntelliJ Idea,, it brings me to "Welcome to IntelliJ Idea", and this window appears to be empty, NVDA doesn't see any control elements or menus. If someone figured out a way to make either of them accessible, please let me know.


I'm using Windows 10 and NVDA 2018.1. I enabled java access bridge both in control panel and IntelliJ Idea's JRE from the command line with not much luck.


Thanks

Tony


Re: Reviewing notes

Greg Rhodes <gkrhodes@...>
 

Thanks guys. I have my document set up with headers. I’m looking for a way that I can go to specific lines under each header. For example, when I could see and was reading a textbook, I would underline the specific lines or paragraphs I wanted to go back and review. When it came time to study for a test, I could just review the things I had underlined. What’s an equivalent way to do that for a blind person. I would like to be able to use single key navigation to go quickly through the specific items I want to go back and review. If I did some kind of track change notation on each item I wanted to review, I could use “a” for annotation and do it. Is there a simpler way? Thanks for any suggestions.


Re: NVDA log error

 

Hi,
Which version of Enhanced Touch Gestures add-on are you using? There should be an update on add-ons website that fixes this problem.
Cheers,
Joseph

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Don H
Sent: Friday, March 16, 2018 3:15 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] NVDA log error

This is the last few lines of the NVDA log file after starting NVDA
2018-1 on my Win 10 64 bit laptop.
ERROR - baseObject.ScriptableObject.bindGestures (17:10:52.335):
Error binding script touch_hoverUp in
<globalPlugins.enhancedTouchGestures.GlobalPlugin object at 0x06E951D0> INFO - core.main (17:10:52.338):
NVDA initialized


Re: waterfox

 

On 3/16/18, Rosemarie Chavarria <knitqueen2007@gmail.com> wrote:
www.waterfoxproject.org/



-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of
Hermann-Josef Kurzen
Sent: Friday, March 16, 2018 12:50 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] waterfox

Hi!

Where can I get Waterfox?


Greetings - Hermann



■■■


Gesendet: Freitag, 16. März 2018 um 19:51 Uhr
Von: "David Griffith" <daj.griffith@gmail.com>
An: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Betreff: Re: [nvda] waterfox

Yes I have been using it as my default browser ever since Firefox
started being difficult I particularly like the inbuilt reader function
which strips links and ads out - control alt and r.
There are only a couple of issues.
For me in some edit boxes I get a very verbose feedback with the whole
string being announced every time I type a character. This tends to be
some google edit boxes but not all of them for some reason.
The other main issue is that for some reason some sites like Amazon
insists on occasionally interpreting Waterfox as a mobile device. This
restricts access to buying Kindle books and sometimes one click ordering.
Again this is not consistent. In these circumstances I simply copy the url
from Waterfox to chrome to complete the transaction if I am having
difficulties in Waterfox.
David Griffith

My Blind Access and Guide dog Blog
http://dgriffithblog.wordpress.com/
My Blind hammer Blog
https://www.westhamtillidie.com/authors/blind-hammer/posts

From: Rosemarie Chavarria
Sent: 16 March 2018 18:35
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] waterfox

Hi, everyone,

I just downloaded waterfox and checked out the weather forcast for my area
using the braille weather underground site and waterfox is amazingly fast!
I think I'll really like using it.

Rosemarie










NVDA log error

Don H
 

This is the last few lines of the NVDA log file after starting NVDA 2018-1 on my Win 10 64 bit laptop.
ERROR - baseObject.ScriptableObject.bindGestures (17:10:52.335):
Error binding script touch_hoverUp in <globalPlugins.enhancedTouchGestures.GlobalPlugin object at 0x06E951D0>
INFO - core.main (17:10:52.338):
NVDA initialized


brave browser?

 

Hello I saw a add for this on youtube and I have seen it on the android play store but has any one tried out the brave browser?

On 3/16/2018 2:56 PM, Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:
www.waterfoxproject.org/



-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Hermann-Josef Kurzen
Sent: Friday, March 16, 2018 12:50 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] waterfox

Hi!

Where can I get Waterfox?


Greetings - Hermann



■■■


Gesendet: Freitag, 16. März 2018 um 19:51 Uhr
Von: "David Griffith" <daj.griffith@gmail.com>
An: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Betreff: Re: [nvda] waterfox

Yes I have been using it as my default browser ever since Firefox
started being difficult I particularly like the inbuilt reader function which strips links and ads out - control alt and r.
There are only a couple of issues.
For me in some edit boxes I get a very verbose feedback with the whole string being announced every time I type a character. This tends to be some google edit boxes but not all of them for some reason.
The other main issue is that for some reason some sites like Amazon insists on occasionally interpreting Waterfox as a mobile device. This restricts access to buying Kindle books and sometimes one click ordering. Again this is not consistent. In these circumstances I simply copy the url from Waterfox to chrome to complete the transaction if I am having difficulties in Waterfox.
David Griffith

My Blind Access and Guide dog Blog
http://dgriffithblog.wordpress.com/
My Blind hammer Blog
https://www.westhamtillidie.com/authors/blind-hammer/posts

From: Rosemarie Chavarria
Sent: 16 March 2018 18:35
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] waterfox

Hi, everyone,

I just downloaded waterfox and checked out the weather forcast for my area using the braille weather underground site and waterfox is amazingly fast! I think I'll really like using it.

Rosemarie








Re: waterfox

Rosemarie Chavarria
 

www.waterfoxproject.org/

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Hermann-Josef Kurzen
Sent: Friday, March 16, 2018 12:50 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] waterfox

Hi!

Where can I get Waterfox?


Greetings - Hermann



■■■


Gesendet: Freitag, 16. März 2018 um 19:51 Uhr
Von: "David Griffith" <daj.griffith@gmail.com>
An: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Betreff: Re: [nvda] waterfox

Yes I have been using it as my default browser ever since Firefox
started being difficult I particularly like the inbuilt reader function which strips links and ads out - control alt and r.
There are only a couple of issues.
For me in some edit boxes I get a very verbose feedback with the whole string being announced every time I type a character. This tends to be some google edit boxes but not all of them for some reason.
The other main issue is that for some reason some sites like Amazon insists on occasionally interpreting Waterfox as a mobile device. This restricts access to buying Kindle books and sometimes one click ordering. Again this is not consistent. In these circumstances I simply copy the url from Waterfox to chrome to complete the transaction if I am having difficulties in Waterfox.
David Griffith

My Blind Access and Guide dog Blog
http://dgriffithblog.wordpress.com/
My Blind hammer Blog
https://www.westhamtillidie.com/authors/blind-hammer/posts

From: Rosemarie Chavarria
Sent: 16 March 2018 18:35
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] waterfox

Hi, everyone,

I just downloaded waterfox and checked out the weather forcast for my area using the braille weather underground site and waterfox is amazingly fast! I think I'll really like using it.

Rosemarie





Re: location of NVDA log files

Quentin Christensen
 

Hi Don,

%temp%\

Under that you should find:

nvda.log (the latest log - current if NVDA is running, the last log created if it isn't)
nvda-old.log (the second latest log).
nvda_crash.dmp (the latest crash dump if NVDA itself has crashed)

So the direct path to the current or latest log is:

%temp%\nvda.log

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Sat, Mar 17, 2018 at 8:30 AM, Don H <lmddh50@...> wrote:
what is the path for the log files for NVDA on a Win 10 system?
Thanks







--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess 
Twitter: @NVAccess 


location of NVDA log files

Don H
 

what is the path for the log files for NVDA on a Win 10 system?
Thanks


Re: Must be frustrating

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>
 

Hi


When you go to do it make sure after you have done the search for the command prompt and the result comes up you then need to use the applications key then arrow down once. You will then be on run as administrator then press the enter key then type in the other stuff.


Most people forget to do the step before with the applications key.


Is your computer running windows 10 or a earlier version of windows as there are other steps from this ticket which may help..


https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/2807#issuecomment-320149243

You will notice there are 2 reg files that may be needed.


But the last few times for windows 10 users what was copied from my website usually does it if done correctly.


There is a next snap shot that has a com fixing tool under the tools menu that should fix it but the 2 people who have tried it said it did not work for them so am wondering if it is not quite finished yet?



Gene nz



On 3/17/2018 10:13 AM, Debra Gardner wrote:
Does this reregister everything in the DL system folder or just NVDA?  I seem to remember trying to do this and I had to guess as I was doing it with NVDA and it was saying unknown, so I had to guess and arrow down  to find what I was looking for.   as I recall, it didn't change anything, but I'll try it again since this is  the latest version.  As I write this, I'm not using NVDA  as it doesn't recognize what I'm writing in an email  I don't use Mozilla Thunderbird, but NVDA doesn't recognize any email client I use and  says unknown to everything.
 
 
 
 
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, March 16, 2018 4:13 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Must be frustrating

Hi


Are you getting any of the problems as mentioned in this email below?


If it is what another person had on the list his got fixed tonight.


Not saying what problems you are having and where etc people can not help much.


Troubleshooting - NVDA says “unknown” or “pane” in all of your browsers, Mozilla Thunderbird email client and other places
If for some reason you have problems with NVDA saying “unknown” or “pane” check for the following symptoms:

In all of your browsers, or the Mozilla Thunderbird email client, no matter what you do, you still hear “unknown” or “pane”.

In the browser, email client and other menus you notice you cannot get into your menus, or you are unable to use the quick navigation keys

When you have been told the page is loaded and notice strange behaviour

Mozilla Thunderbird saying unknown while you try to navigate it

Your applications key does not work with it being spoken out and other strange behaviour in Windows

The running applications icons are not being spoken out
It might be a good idea to do the following:
Please note: If you are hearing “unknown” or “pane” (as discussed above) NVDA might seem like it is still working properly but it may not be completely in Windows and other programmes.
You could try the following solution which will allow you to re-register your dll files in case they are causing the problem.
Press the Windows key then type the following into the search box. Type in “command prompt”. Once you have located command prompt, in the search results, press the Applications key to bring up the context menu. Arrow down to select “run as administrator” and press the Enter key. This will take you to a command prompt window. This will not be spoken out. You may need sighted assistance for this.
Type in the following command
for %x in (c:\windows\system32\*.dll) do regsvr32 /s %x
This should re-register all components in the system32 folder.
When it is finished, you can close the command prompt window with the Alt + F4 key. You should notice now where NVDA was saying “unknown” as in some examples given, NVDA should now read the icons in the running applications area of Windows, speak the content of the webpage and menus, and also in Mozilla Thunderbird and other places in Windows including the Windows applications context menu.




On 3/16/2018 3:14 PM, Debra Gardner wrote:
Well, I am at a loss as far as NVDA is concerned.  I have the latest update for both Windows 10 and NVDA  and it still doesn't see taskbar, start menu, context menus, and web pages.  I was afraid it was just me, but I installed it on a friend's computer that had just had Windows 10 re-installed and although it recognizes the taskbar and start menu, it does _not recognize web pages and just goes silent.  The frustrating part for the developers I would think is that this problem isn't something that is across the board on everyone's windows 10 computer.  Some people seem to be doing quite nicely from what I'm seeing on this list.  I'm just fortunate not to have to depend on NVDA, but my friend does  and I will have to find a work-around  for when she wants to go on the web.. 

--
Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations (or location) is near to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.

--
Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations (or location) is near to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.


Re: Must be frustrating

Debra Gardner
 


Does this reregister everything in the DL system folder or just NVDA?  I seem to remember trying to do this and I had to guess as I was doing it with NVDA and it was saying unknown, so I had to guess and arrow down  to find what I was looking for.   as I recall, it didn't change anything, but I'll try it again since this is  the latest version.  As I write this, I'm not using NVDA  as it doesn't recognize what I'm writing in an email  I don't use Mozilla Thunderbird, but NVDA doesn't recognize any email client I use and  says unknown to everything.
 
 
 
 

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, March 16, 2018 4:13 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Must be frustrating

Hi


Are you getting any of the problems as mentioned in this email below?


If it is what another person had on the list his got fixed tonight.


Not saying what problems you are having and where etc people can not help much.


Troubleshooting - NVDA says “unknown” or “pane” in all of your browsers, Mozilla Thunderbird email client and other places
If for some reason you have problems with NVDA saying “unknown” or “pane” check for the following symptoms:

In all of your browsers, or the Mozilla Thunderbird email client, no matter what you do, you still hear “unknown” or “pane”.

In the browser, email client and other menus you notice you cannot get into your menus, or you are unable to use the quick navigation keys

When you have been told the page is loaded and notice strange behaviour

Mozilla Thunderbird saying unknown while you try to navigate it

Your applications key does not work with it being spoken out and other strange behaviour in Windows

The running applications icons are not being spoken out
It might be a good idea to do the following:
Please note: If you are hearing “unknown” or “pane” (as discussed above) NVDA might seem like it is still working properly but it may not be completely in Windows and other programmes.
You could try the following solution which will allow you to re-register your dll files in case they are causing the problem.
Press the Windows key then type the following into the search box. Type in “command prompt”. Once you have located command prompt, in the search results, press the Applications key to bring up the context menu. Arrow down to select “run as administrator” and press the Enter key. This will take you to a command prompt window. This will not be spoken out. You may need sighted assistance for this.
Type in the following command
for %x in (c:\windows\system32\*.dll) do regsvr32 /s %x
This should re-register all components in the system32 folder.
When it is finished, you can close the command prompt window with the Alt + F4 key. You should notice now where NVDA was saying “unknown” as in some examples given, NVDA should now read the icons in the running applications area of Windows, speak the content of the webpage and menus, and also in Mozilla Thunderbird and other places in Windows including the Windows applications context menu.




On 3/16/2018 3:14 PM, Debra Gardner wrote:
Well, I am at a loss as far as NVDA is concerned.  I have the latest update for both Windows 10 and NVDA  and it still doesn't see taskbar, start menu, context menus, and web pages.  I was afraid it was just me, but I installed it on a friend's computer that had just had Windows 10 re-installed and although it recognizes the taskbar and start menu, it does _not recognize web pages and just goes silent.  The frustrating part for the developers I would think is that this problem isn't something that is across the board on everyone's windows 10 computer.  Some people seem to be doing quite nicely from what I'm seeing on this list.  I'm just fortunate not to have to depend on NVDA, but my friend does  and I will have to find a work-around  for when she wants to go on the web.. 

--
Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations (or location) is near to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.


Re: Reviewing notes

Chris Mullins
 

Hi

You could use heading levels to organise yur document then use single letter navigation to move through it.  Head up commands of interest with a specific heading level so you can jump straight to them.

 

Cheers

Chris

 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Greg Rhodes
Sent: 16 March 2018 12:18
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Reviewing notes

 

I have created a 35 page Word document that has notes I’ve taken while reading the NVDA books (Basic, Word, and Excel). It’s basically my quick reference cheat sheet for NVDA commands. I know and frequently use many of the commands. I want to mark up my document so that I can focus on learning the commands that I don’t know. What’s the best way to do this (relying on screen reader, not magnification). Bookmarks would be an option but I don’t really want to label each bookmark. Are there other ways so that I can quickly do something like a single key navigation through only the items I want to review?

 

Thanks


Re: Remapping Keys

Gene
 

I don't have a current version of Chrome and I tested with an older version of NVDA.  My results may not be correct for newer versions.  But when I tested, the search book marks feature in Chrome wasn't accessible.  If this is the case, it's a significant drawback for those who want to use book marks efficiently.  and if it's true, it doesn't reflect well on chrome if, after all the years the browser has been available, if this feature still isn't accessible. 
 
Gene

----- Original Message -----
From: Gene
Sent: Friday, March 16, 2018 2:37 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Remapping Keys

I haven't worked with Chrome enough to say.  Managing bookmarks in firefox is very easy.  You don't have to organize them in any way because there is a very good search feature.  And if you explain why you find managing book marks so difficult in Chrome, you may find that people have found ways to do it efficiently.  I'm not particularly optimistic but you never know. 
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
From: Kenny
Sent: Friday, March 16, 2018 2:18 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Remapping Keys

I'm not really in love with Google's Bookmark Manager. Managing Favorites in Internet Explorer was great. In Chrome, it's a nightmare. I'm hoping the MS Edge browser will make managing bookmarks/favorites a dream again.


I'm also taking advantage of Microsoft's reward program. It will make it much easier for me to build up points if I'm using the Edge browser. Seems to work better on the Microsoft and Bing sites too.


I'm also noticing a lot of the MS apps work pretty well with NVDA. That is also peaking my desire to use Edge too.

On 3/16/2018 1:48 PM, Gene wrote:
Why do you want to switch to Edge?  Only a small percent of Windows users use it.  I'm talking about sighted users.  I haven't read anything about Edge that sounds like a significant advantage and since so few sighted people use it, maybe they, too, see no need to switch.  I recall reading about one or two features I thought were nice but nothing that makes me care, particularly, whether I use it or not.
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
From: Kenny
Sent: Friday, March 16, 2018 12:31 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Remapping Keys

I was feeling just like the OP at one time.


I just decided to leave JAWS alone completely, and focus all of my attention on using/learning NVDA 2018.1.


Following the manual on this page is getting me through pretty good:

https://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/documentation/userGuide.html


My main problem was the numpad. Been using JAWS for over 18 years and the numpad was all I used to read text and navigate the screen.

Now I have to keep in mind that the numpad keys in NVDA are for the Review cursor. The Review cursor and the system focus/system caret (Controlled by arrow keys, text review commands etc.)are two different cursors. The review cursor follows the system focus/caret cursor. That's what was throwing me off.

Also having the Review cursor numpad reading functions setup like so: 7, 8, 9 (Line) 4, 5, 6 (Word) and 1, 2, 3 (Character) was also throwing me off. JAWS has the numpad setup differently for reading/navigating text.

I've totally devoted my time to learning NVDA. Not only that, but learning how to use all of it's features the right way. I really never did that with JAWS. Was stuck in the JAWS v8 mode, and never took full advantage of the v9 - 2018 feature additions. Now is my chance to do just that with NVDA: A screenreader that's just as good.

Heck, it's already converted me to using Thunderbird over Eudora Pro. Close to switching from Google Chrome to MS Edge (A lot of the "Single letter navigation keys don't work in Edge. It's keeping me from making the switch for now.)

On 3/16/2018 10:51 AM, Gene wrote:
I'm not sure but it's a very bad idea.  The keys are used in screen review and object navigation.  If you change them, you will lose very importan functionality.  Have you learned to use screen review as designed and object navigation as designed?  It really isn't difficult to learn the NVDA commands and some of them are actually more convenient.  Read current line, just numpad 8 by itself, is more pleasant and convenient than numpad insert numpad 8.  It's usually better to use a screen-reader as designed no matter which one it is.  If you change things that are reserved for the screen-reader without knowing in detail how the screen-reader interface is designed, you run the risk of losing significant functionality.  NVDA isn't JAWS.  Try using it as NVDA.
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, March 16, 2018 9:30 AM
Subject: [nvda] Remapping Keys

Hi,

I use both Jaws and NVDA.

Is there a way to remap the numberpad keys to work like Jaws keys?

I would like the keys 2, 4, 6, and 8 to read line up and left, right and line down respectively, and the home, page up, end, and page down for the 1, 3, 7, and 9.

I would also prefer the zero key be used for changing these keys like Jaws does too.

If anyone has already done this, is there a way to import them to NVDA, maybe as an add-on?

Thanks.

 

Glenn Ervin  Orientation Counselor II

Norfolk Nebraska

402 370 3436

Cell: 402 992 0325

Welcome | NCBVI

 




Re: waterfox

Hermann-Josef Kurzen
 

Hi!

Where can I get Waterfox?


Greetings - Hermann



■■■

Gesendet: Freitag, 16. März 2018 um 19:51 Uhr
Von: "David Griffith" <daj.griffith@gmail.com>
An: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Betreff: Re: [nvda] waterfox

Yes I have been using it as my default browser ever since Firefox started being difficult
I particularly like the inbuilt reader function which strips links and ads out - control alt and r.
There are only a couple of issues.
For me in some edit boxes I get a very verbose feedback with the whole string being announced every time I type a character. This tends to be some google edit boxes but not all of them for some reason.
The other main issue is that for some reason some sites like Amazon insists on occasionally interpreting Waterfox as a mobile device. This restricts access to buying Kindle books and sometimes one click ordering. Again this is not consistent. In these circumstances I simply copy the url from Waterfox to chrome to complete the transaction if I am having difficulties in Waterfox.
David Griffith

My Blind Access and Guide dog Blog
http://dgriffithblog.wordpress.com/
My Blind hammer Blog
https://www.westhamtillidie.com/authors/blind-hammer/posts

From: Rosemarie Chavarria
Sent: 16 March 2018 18:35
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] waterfox

Hi, everyone,

I just downloaded waterfox and checked out the weather forcast for my area using the braille weather underground site and waterfox is amazingly fast! I think I'll really like using it.

Rosemarie





Re: Must be frustrating

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>
 

Hi Quentin


Does the next snapshot with the tool need to be installed? When i have tried it i basically got the person to download it then start up the copy of nvda without installing it from the documentation screen that you get when you download it.


I then while it was talking got her to go into preferences of nvda then go down to tools then the com fixing tool. She then pressed the enter key on it a message came up and she said yes to it but she said it did not fix the problem.


Does it need to be installed for it to work or is that part of the tool not finished yet?


I will be getting her to day as well to save her log told her how to do it and also to set logging level to debug.


Hopefully we can get it fixed this time i will try going into command prompt and doing it that way. I guess as long as i can see or hear the problem i can tell if it is the same. Hopefully the above does or i will have to guide her to start the remote add on so i can have a sus.


Gene nz



On 3/17/2018 1:14 AM, Quentin Christensen wrote:
Hi Debra,

How did you go with Gene's suggestion?

The only other thing I can think of is especially since you mention Windows 10 had just been installed, have you checked for updates on Windows and kept going until there are no more updates?  There have been points where various parts of Windows such as the start menu and context menu wouldn't read, although we endeavoured to get them working again as soon as possible.

Otherwise, feel free to send me a log and I'll see if I can get anything useful from there.  See https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/wiki/LogFilesAndCrashDumps for info about the log.

Quentin.

On Fri, Mar 16, 2018 at 1:14 PM, Debra Gardner <dgardner18@...> wrote:
Well, I am at a loss as far as NVDA is concerned.  I have the latest update for both Windows 10 and NVDA  and it still doesn't see taskbar, start menu, context menus, and web pages.  I was afraid it was just me, but I installed it on a friend's computer that had just had Windows 10 re-installed and although it recognizes the taskbar and start menu, it does _not recognize web pages and just goes silent.  The frustrating part for the developers I would think is that this problem isn't something that is across the board on everyone's windows 10 computer.  Some people seem to be doing quite nicely from what I'm seeing on this list.  I'm just fortunate not to have to depend on NVDA, but my friend does  and I will have to find a work-around  for when she wants to go on the web.. 



--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess 
Twitter: @NVAccess 


--
Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations (or location) is near to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.


Re: Remapping Keys

Gene
 

I haven't worked with Chrome enough to say.  Managing bookmarks in firefox is very easy.  You don't have to organize them in any way because there is a very good search feature.  And if you explain why you find managing book marks so difficult in Chrome, you may find that people have found ways to do it efficiently.  I'm not particularly optimistic but you never know. 
 
Gene

----- Original Message -----
From: Kenny
Sent: Friday, March 16, 2018 2:18 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Remapping Keys

I'm not really in love with Google's Bookmark Manager. Managing Favorites in Internet Explorer was great. In Chrome, it's a nightmare. I'm hoping the MS Edge browser will make managing bookmarks/favorites a dream again.


I'm also taking advantage of Microsoft's reward program. It will make it much easier for me to build up points if I'm using the Edge browser. Seems to work better on the Microsoft and Bing sites too.


I'm also noticing a lot of the MS apps work pretty well with NVDA. That is also peaking my desire to use Edge too.

On 3/16/2018 1:48 PM, Gene wrote:
Why do you want to switch to Edge?  Only a small percent of Windows users use it.  I'm talking about sighted users.  I haven't read anything about Edge that sounds like a significant advantage and since so few sighted people use it, maybe they, too, see no need to switch.  I recall reading about one or two features I thought were nice but nothing that makes me care, particularly, whether I use it or not.
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
From: Kenny
Sent: Friday, March 16, 2018 12:31 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Remapping Keys

I was feeling just like the OP at one time.


I just decided to leave JAWS alone completely, and focus all of my attention on using/learning NVDA 2018.1.


Following the manual on this page is getting me through pretty good:

https://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/documentation/userGuide.html


My main problem was the numpad. Been using JAWS for over 18 years and the numpad was all I used to read text and navigate the screen.

Now I have to keep in mind that the numpad keys in NVDA are for the Review cursor. The Review cursor and the system focus/system caret (Controlled by arrow keys, text review commands etc.)are two different cursors. The review cursor follows the system focus/caret cursor. That's what was throwing me off.

Also having the Review cursor numpad reading functions setup like so: 7, 8, 9 (Line) 4, 5, 6 (Word) and 1, 2, 3 (Character) was also throwing me off. JAWS has the numpad setup differently for reading/navigating text.

I've totally devoted my time to learning NVDA. Not only that, but learning how to use all of it's features the right way. I really never did that with JAWS. Was stuck in the JAWS v8 mode, and never took full advantage of the v9 - 2018 feature additions. Now is my chance to do just that with NVDA: A screenreader that's just as good.

Heck, it's already converted me to using Thunderbird over Eudora Pro. Close to switching from Google Chrome to MS Edge (A lot of the "Single letter navigation keys don't work in Edge. It's keeping me from making the switch for now.)

On 3/16/2018 10:51 AM, Gene wrote:
I'm not sure but it's a very bad idea.  The keys are used in screen review and object navigation.  If you change them, you will lose very importan functionality.  Have you learned to use screen review as designed and object navigation as designed?  It really isn't difficult to learn the NVDA commands and some of them are actually more convenient.  Read current line, just numpad 8 by itself, is more pleasant and convenient than numpad insert numpad 8.  It's usually better to use a screen-reader as designed no matter which one it is.  If you change things that are reserved for the screen-reader without knowing in detail how the screen-reader interface is designed, you run the risk of losing significant functionality.  NVDA isn't JAWS.  Try using it as NVDA.
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, March 16, 2018 9:30 AM
Subject: [nvda] Remapping Keys

Hi,

I use both Jaws and NVDA.

Is there a way to remap the numberpad keys to work like Jaws keys?

I would like the keys 2, 4, 6, and 8 to read line up and left, right and line down respectively, and the home, page up, end, and page down for the 1, 3, 7, and 9.

I would also prefer the zero key be used for changing these keys like Jaws does too.

If anyone has already done this, is there a way to import them to NVDA, maybe as an add-on?

Thanks.

 

Glenn Ervin  Orientation Counselor II

Norfolk Nebraska

402 370 3436

Cell: 402 992 0325

Welcome | NCBVI

 




Re: Reviewing notes

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>
 

Hi


The way i do it now and again is in Microsoft word 2010 is each section will have a heading wheather it be a level 1 for main or level 2 etc if under that section if you get what i mean.


I know in a docx file after it is done i can jump down by headings.


You will need to find a heading for each section that you want.

Highlight it using the shift key + ctrl key and the right arrow to what you want for the heading.

Next use the alt key + ctrl key + number 1 on the main qwerty keyboard for a level one heading. If it is a level 2 heading replace the one with a 2.


After you have done all of your headings you must be in browse mode to jump down by headings It can also be done through the elements list under the type called headings.


What i do use alot from time to time is also the find command in nvda use the ctrl key + nvda key + the letter F then type in what you want. If there is more than one instance of it if i remember right it is the nvda key + F3 key.


I think you can also put in links etc as well. but must be in browse mode to jump down quickly and focus mode to type in stuff.


hope it helps.


Gene nz



On 3/17/2018 1:17 AM, Greg Rhodes wrote:

I have created a 35 page Word document that has notes I’ve taken while reading the NVDA books (Basic, Word, and Excel). It’s basically my quick reference cheat sheet for NVDA commands. I know and frequently use many of the commands. I want to mark up my document so that I can focus on learning the commands that I don’t know. What’s the best way to do this (relying on screen reader, not magnification). Bookmarks would be an option but I don’t really want to label each bookmark. Are there other ways so that I can quickly do something like a single key navigation through only the items I want to review?

 

Thanks


--
Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations (or location) is near to you please visit http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.


Re: Announcement regarding Bloomberg software

Adriani Botez
 

It is both. It is also integrated in your MS Office programs like MS Excel for most current foreign exchange rates and so on.

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> Im Auftrag von Mr. Wong
Chi Wai, William
Gesendet: Freitag, 16. März 2018 13:02
An: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Betreff: Re: [nvda] Announcement regarding Bloomberg software

Does that mean we need to install that software on our computer? or it is a
web based platform?


Adriani Botez 於 16/3/2018 5:00 寫道:
Dear all,

some of you might already have heared about Bloomberg Terminal and
Bloomberg
Professional. This is the software environment on which every big finance
company including stock exchanges are relying when it comes to financial
analysis (i.e. last news, share prices, commodity prices, charts, trends and
what not).
It is the most common software in banks, financial institutions and hedge
fonds.

Blind and visually impaired people did not have access to this software and
so, many people could not apply for a job in this area because they did not
have the possibility to work productively with the terminal.

Now, I am in conversations with our Bloomberg customer relationship
manager
and they are very interested to make Bloomberg accessible for everyone.

I will probably get a test account for a limited time and tey just confirmed
that this account can be used worldwide. The purpose is to start a
worldwide
testing phase where blind and visually impaired users provide their feedback
about Bloomberg software environment. If possible in connection with
Bloomberg keyboard.

We need as many users and developers as possible who are interested in
testing this software. It is important that the tester is interested in
financial topics.

Your answers are appreciated, in case you are interested to test the
Bloomberg Professional.


Best regards
Adriani






Re: Remapping Keys

Kenny <kwashingtonbox@...>
 

I'm not really in love with Google's Bookmark Manager. Managing Favorites in Internet Explorer was great. In Chrome, it's a nightmare. I'm hoping the MS Edge browser will make managing bookmarks/favorites a dream again.


I'm also taking advantage of Microsoft's reward program. It will make it much easier for me to build up points if I'm using the Edge browser. Seems to work better on the Microsoft and Bing sites too.


I'm also noticing a lot of the MS apps work pretty well with NVDA. That is also peaking my desire to use Edge too.

On 3/16/2018 1:48 PM, Gene wrote:
Why do you want to switch to Edge?  Only a small percent of Windows users use it.  I'm talking about sighted users.  I haven't read anything about Edge that sounds like a significant advantage and since so few sighted people use it, maybe they, too, see no need to switch.  I recall reading about one or two features I thought were nice but nothing that makes me care, particularly, whether I use it or not.
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
From: Kenny
Sent: Friday, March 16, 2018 12:31 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Remapping Keys

I was feeling just like the OP at one time.


I just decided to leave JAWS alone completely, and focus all of my attention on using/learning NVDA 2018.1.


Following the manual on this page is getting me through pretty good:

https://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/documentation/userGuide.html


My main problem was the numpad. Been using JAWS for over 18 years and the numpad was all I used to read text and navigate the screen.

Now I have to keep in mind that the numpad keys in NVDA are for the Review cursor. The Review cursor and the system focus/system caret (Controlled by arrow keys, text review commands etc.)are two different cursors. The review cursor follows the system focus/caret cursor. That's what was throwing me off.

Also having the Review cursor numpad reading functions setup like so: 7, 8, 9 (Line) 4, 5, 6 (Word) and 1, 2, 3 (Character) was also throwing me off. JAWS has the numpad setup differently for reading/navigating text.

I've totally devoted my time to learning NVDA. Not only that, but learning how to use all of it's features the right way. I really never did that with JAWS. Was stuck in the JAWS v8 mode, and never took full advantage of the v9 - 2018 feature additions. Now is my chance to do just that with NVDA: A screenreader that's just as good.

Heck, it's already converted me to using Thunderbird over Eudora Pro. Close to switching from Google Chrome to MS Edge (A lot of the "Single letter navigation keys don't work in Edge. It's keeping me from making the switch for now.)

On 3/16/2018 10:51 AM, Gene wrote:
I'm not sure but it's a very bad idea.  The keys are used in screen review and object navigation.  If you change them, you will lose very importan functionality.  Have you learned to use screen review as designed and object navigation as designed?  It really isn't difficult to learn the NVDA commands and some of them are actually more convenient.  Read current line, just numpad 8 by itself, is more pleasant and convenient than numpad insert numpad 8.  It's usually better to use a screen-reader as designed no matter which one it is.  If you change things that are reserved for the screen-reader without knowing in detail how the screen-reader interface is designed, you run the risk of losing significant functionality.  NVDA isn't JAWS.  Try using it as NVDA.
 
Gene
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, March 16, 2018 9:30 AM
Subject: [nvda] Remapping Keys

Hi,

I use both Jaws and NVDA.

Is there a way to remap the numberpad keys to work like Jaws keys?

I would like the keys 2, 4, 6, and 8 to read line up and left, right and line down respectively, and the home, page up, end, and page down for the 1, 3, 7, and 9.

I would also prefer the zero key be used for changing these keys like Jaws does too.

If anyone has already done this, is there a way to import them to NVDA, maybe as an add-on?

Thanks.

 

Glenn Ervin  Orientation Counselor II

Norfolk Nebraska

402 370 3436

Cell: 402 992 0325

Welcome | NCBVI

 




Re: waterfox

David Griffith
 

Yes I have been using it as my default browser ever since Firefox started being difficult

I particularly like the inbuilt reader function which strips links and ads out - control alt and r.

There are only a couple of issues.

For me in some edit boxes I get a very verbose feedback with the whole string being announced every time I type a character. This tends to be some google edit boxes but not all of them for some reason.

The other main issue is  that for some reason some sites like Amazon insists on occasionally interpreting Waterfox as a mobile device. This restricts access to buying Kindle books and sometimes one click ordering. Again this is not consistent. In these circumstances I simply copy the url from Waterfox to chrome to complete the transaction if I am having difficulties in Waterfox.

David Griffith

 

My Blind Access and Guide dog Blog
http://dgriffithblog.wordpress.com/
My Blind hammer Blog
https://www.westhamtillidie.com/authors/blind-hammer/posts

 

From: Rosemarie Chavarria
Sent: 16 March 2018 18:35
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] waterfox

 

Hi, everyone,

 

I just downloaded waterfox and checked out the weather forcast for my area using the braille weather underground site and waterfox is amazingly fast! I think I'll really like using it.

 

Rosemarie